• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company that told Sony "go ahead, sue us" pulls replacement PS5 plates from sale, says Sony threatened to sue them

How can you not route for dbrand? I find it mighty impressive how they came back at Sony, not backing down at all...
And i like their stab at Sony for putting the Cease and decist letter in binary on the inside of their plates ..

Whats up Jimbo ? What do you say now??

Max_Po

Banned
How can you not route for dbrand? I find it mighty impressive how they came back at Sony, not backing down at all...
And i like their stab at Sony for putting the Cease and decist letter in binary on the inside of their plates ..

How can you not route for dbrand?

perhaps because their fucking items are rip off and more than double the price of regular sellers?
or how about they operate out of Toronto, ON Canada and screw Canadians by charging them in US dollars ?

FUCK them...

How can you not route for dbrand?

perhaps because their fucking items are rip off and more than double the price of regular sellers?
or how about they operate out of Toronto, ON Canada and screw Canadians by charging them in US dollars ?

FUCK them...
I dont know their other products but their new set of plates are not overpriced compared to Sonys official ones..

Last edited:

Spitfire098

Jim:
Animated GIF

Kerotan

You've clearly never created something and sold it as a business.. You would appreciate rip offs then.

DaGwaphics

They're going for the copyright angle. It's clear that they were trying to copy Sony's trademarked logos and attempted to be "smart" about it.

Beyond that they could nail them on the counterfeit angle where they're producing knock-off parts for Sony's $500 console without a license. It's different than a controller or hard drive since it's actually part of the console structure and Sony doesn't know if it will affect airflow and potentially being a support headache for them with people buying these and potentially having their systems overheat.

Still seems like something hard to stick. They are basically selling a piece of plastic that might just happen to fit where a similar piece of plastic can be used. Definitely shouldn't be using Sony signage anywhere.

Still seems like something hard to stick. They are basically selling a piece of plastic that might just happen to fit where a similar piece of plastic can be used. Definitely shouldn't be using Sony signage anywhere.

Its a design patent and they would get eaten alive in court if they didn’t back down.

Rayderism

Why don't they just remake their plate designs to make it where the plates turn the PS5 into a rectangular box, instead of the wavy-curvy design it has by default? So, the inside of the plates still clip on and conform like the Sony ones, but the outer side would have adjusted thicknesses to make it appear as a straight-lined box. And don't put any kind of micro-sized designs on the plates at all. Also, provide some rubber footies that you can stick to the bottom if you want to go vertical, or the side if you want it horizontal, eliminating the need for Sony's wacky official stand.

Personally, I'd love to be able to make a PS5 rectangular with straight lines. I'd buy plates like that in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't that avoid most of Sony's complaints against them?

dotnotbot

In the meanwhile on Amazon

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What are you talking about - the newest iteration of their plates are in sale right now.
With that a big fuck you towards Sony on the inner side of their plates..

After literally backing down and pulling their first iteration of their plates off the market. The inner side of the plates might as well say "we are Sony's bitch" for all that is worth. Let's not pretend these guys backed up their "go ahead sue us" bullshit. They factually did not.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
In the meanwhile on Amazon

Sony can't sue China. Get them cheap plates.

RPS37

Anyone actually buy the new darkplates and receive them yet?
Mine are coming by the end of Feb supposedly.

After literally backing down and pulling their first iteration of their plates off the market. The inner side of the plates might as well say "we are Sony's bitch" for all that is worth. Let's not pretend these guys backed up their "go ahead sue us" bullshit. They factually did not.
Your wrong - they have backed down because it was the wise thing to do - like every company would have..
Coming back however ,with a new approach 3times, is something not every company out there did.
They are fighting the good fight. There are aftermarket parts for almost every device out there from watches to cars Stupid Jimbo wants all for himself..
For that he deserves a slap on his hand.

And what about you? I always found it wise not to trust people who route for goliath in a david vs goliath fight..
They are the kind of people who try to be on the safe side..
They are the people who support the Bully in a classroom instead of confronting him..
The kind of People who support the big Club in Sports. Who choose to be fan of the fastest driver/team in racing..
One dimensional People, barely able to do something not widely accepted by society.
Do you still ask your mom for advice?
Did she tell you that dbrand is wrong here?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Your wrong - they have backed down because it was the wise thing to do - like every company would have..
Coming back however ,with a new approach 3times, is something not every company out there did.
They are fighting the good fight. There are aftermarket parts for almost every device out there from watches to cars Stupid Jimbo wants all for himself..

And what about you? I always found it wise not to trust people who route for goliath in a david vs goliath fight..
They are the people who support the Bully in a classroom instead of confronting him..
The kind of People who support the big Club in Sports. Who choose to be fan of the fastest driver/team in racing..
One dimensional People, barely able to do something not widely accepted by society.
Dude, chill the fuck out. I actually like the dbrand if only because of the hole on the side for better airflow.

Topher

Gold Member

How is it I'm wrong for saying they backed down and then you agree with me that they backed down? Of course it was the wise thing to do. And it sure as hell didn't take much. But they didn't "fight the good fight" at all. They said "sue us" and Sony didn't even have to do that. Sony just sent a letter and dbrand wilted. Is that what you really call "fighting the good fight"? Are you serious?

These are both ultra-rich corporations so sorry if I'm not shedding a tear for "David" here. "David" talked the big talk but couldn't walk the walk.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
So let me get this straight. Sony threatened suit to a company that was making a replacement part they weren't offering? What is the legal rationale behind Sony being concerned about this? Forgive me if I'm not deep on the details of this. Is it that Sony planned to do this themselves?

Topher

Gold Member
So let me get this straight. Sony threatened suit to a company that was making a replacement part they weren't offering? What is the legal rationale behind Sony being concerned about this? Forgive me if I'm not deep on the details of this. Is it that Sony planned to do this themselves?

Yes, Sony had a patent pending.

TransTrender

Gold Member
A little bit of a bump, but I got my DarkPlates 2.0 Disk Edition, matte plastic, matte skin, and blue strips last night and installed them.

Not lying, but holy shit, the PS5 now looks absolutely amazing.
I'm stunned on how much better this thing looks in my entertainment center, and I'm also stunned Sony went out the door with the ugly ass design that they did.
I've never had a strong attraction for a piece of plastic before, but goddamn, this thing is now really, really, really slick.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got mine this week, too. I installed them last night. The plastic seems to be just a bit thicker and the system doesn't slide out of the stand when it's horizontal now. I didn't get any of the LED strips but I kind of wish I got the purple ones.

Last edited:

Banned
I think it looks a lot better without the fins

way better... I'm thinking about getting the grey ones. but I kinda can't be bothered since I generally don't care what my systems look like that much, especially since my PS5 is set horizontally in a TV console

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Imagine supporting a sleazy company that asks more than the genuine faceplates. You can easily detect who are they and their agenda.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom