• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing PS4 Pro to Switch OLED

kyliethicc

Lets compare the upgrade of PS4 to PS4 Pro to the upgrade of Switch to Switch Pro OLED.

Basically, the PS4 Pro came out sooner, with no price increase, and was the better upgrade value.

Main changes

PS4 Pro
- 3 years after PS4 launch
- same price as PS4
- more performance than PS4
- 4K HDR TV support
- 2x internal storage

Switch OLED
- 4.5 years after Switch launch
- $50 higher price than Switch
- same performance as Switch
- larger OLED screen (still 720p SDR)
- 2x internal storage

Other changes

PS4 Pro
- 1 more USB port than PS4
- same Ethernet port as PS4
- faster WiFi and Bluetooth than PS4
- consumes more power
- better controller
- updated design & look

Switch OLED
- 1 fewer USB port than Switch
- dock has an Ethernet port, unlike Switch
- same WiFi and Bluetooth as Switch
- better battery life than Switch (v1 only)
- better stand & speakers
- updated design & look

What do you think of the Switch OLED as an upgrade from the launch Switch?

4.5 years later, same performance, and a higher price. Is the display upgrade worth it?

1QIXtHE.jpg

EXfsrND.jpg

Last edited:
its nintendo. what kind of hardware were you guys expecting from them? i bet their actual next gen console wont even be stronger than the base ps4.

Last edited:

Banned
Lets compare the upgrade of PS4 to PS4 Pro to the upgrade of Switch to Switch Pro OLED.

Basically, the PS4 Pro came out sooner, with no price increase, and was the better upgrade value.

Main changes

PS4 Pro
- same price as PS4
- 4K HDR TV support
- 2x internal storage

Switch OLED
- 2x internal storage

Other changes

PS4 Pro
- consumers more power
- better controller
- updated design & look

Switch OLED
- updated design & look

4.5 years later, same performance, and a higher price. Is the display upgrade worth it?

1QIXtHE.jpg

better comparison

Switch OLED vs Xbox One X

the One X launched at the same price as the Xbox One while being about 5x as powerful, having 2x storage and a UHD BluRay player. the timeframe is also closer to what the OLED Switch does

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The old switch isn't worth the price, so of course a more expensive one with no performance upgrades is a rip off.
I don't know. I've gotten tremendous value out of my Switch. I've played so much Mario Kart online and it's been a blast. I can take it with me when I travel and connect it to the TV in the hotel...it's been my favorite toy in a long time. Of course your mileage may vary, but it was totally worth it for me.

OLED Switch for $350 is overpriced but if my Switch breaks I'll probably buy that one.

Main changes

PS4 Pro
- same price as PS4
- 4K HDR TV support
- 2x internal storage

Switch OLED
- 2x internal storage

Other changes

PS4 Pro
- consumers more power
- better controller
- updated design & look

Switch OLED
- updated design & look

I don't understand how people can't realize they are very different situations.

1. One was a home console that sits in a tv stand or on a desk, and the other is a portable console that docks into the tv. One can be as big as it wants to be (PS4 Pro was much bigger then the OG PS4, and then look at the PS5). It's going to be much harder to fit better specs in the same form factor. The Switch HAS to function as a handheld first and foremost otherwise the hybrid concept doesn't work (yes they could do a home console only version) and I think people overestimate how much power you can fit into a portable as small as a Switch at a reasonable price (looking at stuff like the iPhone 12 which is $800 or above).

2. The OLED Switch is NOT a PRO console so it's not even remotely the same thing as the PS4 Pro. The OLED Switch is more akin to something like the DS Lite or GBA SP. Why people keep making these connections is beyond me. I think people just want to shit on something.

Last edited:
PS4 pro was not just 4K HDR TV support upgrade.

It has more than DOUBLE the GPU performance! 4.2 TF vs 1.8 TF

The GPU has double the compute units plus a clock speed increaase from 800 to 911.

Even the Jaguar CPU has a 30% clock speed increase.

I mostly played my PS4 pro before I even got a 4K TV. And just the performance increase in 1080p was great and still worth it.

PS4 pro was a beast. And it really gave the PS4 legs.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I see this argument being thrown around constantly. Have you ever thought that some people out there don't care about the portable functionality, but still want to play some Nintendo games with a better frame rate and resolution? I know it's hard to fathom.
It's not hard to fathom, but as someone who owned a PS4, PS4 pro and a Switch, I actually DO appreciate the portability. I travel frequently and the switch offers amazing value and entertainment for that purpose. I was just as disappointed as everyone else when the OLED switch didn't have more power, but my switch still gets regular playtime, even with a PS5 in the house.

Zones

Could you play the PS4 or PS4 pro on the train while commuting?

1. One was a home console that sits in a tv stand or on a desk, and the other is a portable console that docks into the tv. One can be as big as it wants to be (PS4 Pro was much bigger then the OG PS4, and then look at the PS5). It's going to be much harder to fit better specs in the same form factor. The Switch HAS to function as a handheld first and foremost otherwise the hybrid concept doesn't work (yes they could do a home console only version) and I think people overestimate how much power you can fit into a portable as small as a Switch at a reasonable price (looking at stuff like the iPhone 12 which is $800 or above).

2. The OLED Switch is NOT a PRO console so it's not even remotely the same thing as the PS4 Pro. The OLED Switch is more akin to something like the DS Lite or GBA SP. Why people keep making these connections is beyond me. I think people just want to shit on something.
The Nintendo fanbase loves to bring this (rather fair) point up when things don't look too rosy on their side in any given comparison against PlayStation.

But somehow the same fanbase pretends that comparing the sales performance of Switch to those of PlayStation is fair when the numbers show an advantage in their favor.

So in regards to Switch being a competitor or not, all I want to say is...

JUST MAKE UP YOUR MIND

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
I see this argument being thrown around constantly. Have you ever thought that some people out there don't care about the portable functionality, but still want to play some Nintendo games with a better frame rate and resolution? I know it's hard to fathom.
But that’s the MAIN selling point of the console lmfao!

FStubbs

They are beyond reason in these threads. It's all about CPU AND GPU SWITCH IS TRASH IT SHOULD BE $59

20cent

Banned

Still, nothing justifies a 50$ price bump. OLED Switch should have stayed at the same price. At the very least.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
The Nintendo fanbase loves to bring this (rather fair) point up when things don't look too rosy on their side in any given comparison against PlayStation.

But somehow the same fanbase pretends that comparing the sales performance of Switch to those of PlayStation is fair when the numbers show an advantage in their favor.

So in regards to Switch being a competitor or not, all I want to say is...

JUST MAKE UP YOUR MIND
I'm not a Nintendo fan really, I just think these threads are fucking stupid and are only created because people have convinced themselves the Switch Pro existed in the first place based off of "insiders". I mainly play on PlayStation and PC. I buy things on Switch and then continue to not play anything on it.

Still, nothing justifies a 50$ price bump. OLED Switch should have stayed at the same price. At the very least.
I don't disagree. IMO it should have been $299 and replaced the original model in the lineup. Having owned (and still own but use the 2000 model instead) an OLED Vita, I think the OLED model is nice but unless I start actually playing all of these Visual Novels I keep buying on Switch instead of staring at them it's not worth it to me.

e&e

Banned
It's A selling point, but it's not the most important to everyone. I bought originally bought a Switch to play botw. I couldn't care less about it's portability.
Aren’t you in a thread complaining about them not putting more work into docked version but instead have more features for the portable side. Nintendo has been telegraphing that this is THE main selling point; but go on keep waiting for that docked upgrade 😂

Sidesalad

Aren’t you in a thread complaining about them not putting more work into docked version but instead have more features for the portable side. Nintendo has been telegraphing that this is THE main selling point; but go on keep waiting for that docked upgrade 😂
Oh how dare I ask for a more powerful system. I guess everyone who wanted a switch "pro" should just go fuck off and be happy about an OLED screen.

killatopak

Gold Member
Portability is ONE of the reasons people buy a Switch.

Another reason is because the home console crowd got nothing else after Wii U.

SOME don’t value portability. SOME people like couch gaming with surround sound.

I personally like to play portable but it’s not the main reason I bought it. It’s the games and the games people value differ. There’s no Zelda or Mario on the PS4 but there isn‘t any COD, GoW or Spiderman on the Switch either.

Simply put the way you put value on consoles is largely dependent on the games that interest you and the demographic it caters.

Now for me PS4 Pro is the greater value. Why? Because it fundamentally changes the game. Either by having a higher res or higher fps. Cyberpunk on PS4 Pro is a decent experience. On a base PS4 it is atrocious especially on release. What you get on the Switch/Lite is the same as what you’ll be having on an OLED. I have a Vita 1000 and Vita 2000 and I can tell you it’s not a big downgrade going from OLED to LCD. If I have them side by side then I’ll notice but I’ll completely forget the difference if I play the game for a while.

I’ll be buying the OLED myself since my launch Switch battery is dead but if you already have a lite or a V2 there’s very little reason to buy an OLED.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Didn't care about it at $299 and certainly won't care for it at $349. I don't care much about the hardware itself, I don't think that would bother me too much for the type of games they have. However, I don't feel like they are putting out consistent quality of games I'm interested in.

Didn't care about it at $299 and certainly won't care for it at $349. I don't care much about the hardware itself, I don't think that would bother me too much for the type of games they have. However, I don't feel like they are putting out consistent quality of games I'm interested in.
Weird statement. What entices you about video games? Simply visuals and tech? Gameplay? Something else? Just interested.

Xellos

It's apples and oranges, but I think OLED vs IPS is a pretty big upgrade. I'd rather play standard PS4 on an OLED vs PS4 Pro on an IPS too. That said it's disappointing that Nintendo couldn't be bothered to upgrade the SoC. Nevermind 4k/DLSS; getting 900p-1080p with more stable frame rates would go a long way for the docked experience. A GC->Wii style upgrade (50% higher GPU/CPU clocks, faster RAM) would suffice.

It's apples and oranges, but I think OLED vs IPS is a pretty big upgrade. I'd rather play standard PS4 on an OLED vs PS4 Pro on an IPS too. That said it's disappointing that Nintendo couldn't be bothered to upgrade the SoC. Nevermind 4k/DLSS; getting 900p-1080p with more stable frame rates would go a long way for the docked experience. A GC->Wii style upgrade (50% higher GPU/CPU clocks, faster RAM) would suffice.
It'll come in due time. This is a Gameboy Advance SP type upgrade.

HTK

Banned
Weird statement. What entices you about video games? Simply visuals and tech? Gameplay? Something else? Just interested.

Gameplay and just games in general. I don't buy a Nintendo console to be competitive but more for their single player experiences which don't require crazy tech. However, for me personally they don't release quality games that I would be interested but more for the younger audience.

kingpotato

Yes.

Sorry man but what kinda silly question is that? The point here is the time period. Switch had more time and didn't upgrade shit. It's very disappointing. On top of that, they're asking for more money? Wtf.
I think the comparison is silly to begin with honestly. The Switch OLED is really almost a tongue in cheek release from Nintendo. They know it's not a Pro and they know only people who want to flex and feel like they have a more adult, premium version will buy it. Look at the monochromatic color scheme.

And as funny as it is to see someone with a monitor and power strip and controller and console on a train, it isn't portable.

ZehDon

One was a current-gen home console with a large hardware upgrade, designed to offer improved visuals, improved frame rates, and improved resolutions to customers who were willing to pay more money for that experiene.

The other is a hand-held console that has a different type of screen.

What a silly thread.

Lokaum D+

One was a current-gen home console with a large hardware upgrade, designed to offer improved visuals, improved frame rates, and improved resolutions to customers who were willing to pay more money for that experiene.

The other is a hand-held console that has a different type of screen.

What a silly thread.
isnt switch a hybrid ?

people talk as if switch was only hand-held and forget that people also buy this to play couch comfy at 50" screen

Could you play the PS4 or PS4 pro on the train while commuting?
I think it's more about
1 - Is it "worth it" for existing Switch owners (Does the Switch at least have an IPS panel?)
2 - the technological stagnation is annoying, but given the current sales # I'd say it's easy to see why Nintendo went in this direction, people get excited for new colors on the 3DS

For the first point, there is no good answer, but the rational side of me says no, it's not a compelling product.

Last edited:

kingpotato

I think it's more about
1 - Is it "worth it" for existing Switch owners (Does the Switch at least have an IPS panel?)
2 - the technological stagnation is annoying, but given the current sales # I'd say it's easy to see why Nintendo went in this direction, people get excited for new colors on the 3DS

For the first point, there is no good answer, but the rational side of me says no, it's not a compelling product.
It's definitely not for existing switch owners. There's no reason at all to upgrade for a little better screen. That being said, if I didn't already own a switch I would likely pay for this model because it's slightly nicer.

Justin9mm

It doesn't really matter because the Switch is marketed for Nintendo fans. They don't need to make it value, it's difficult to compare it to a console that is marketed differently.

This thread is a pointless discussion.

Mattyp

Gold Member
How is playing a Switch on a train cringe as fuck?

Because trains are for absolute fucking quiet time. No talking, no noise, no eating, headphones where possible always otherwise put that phone away.

Someone smashing buttons at 7am as everyone makes their way to the office has no place in a place as holy as the train commute.

But I figure anyone partaking in this exercise doesn’t fit in with social norms let alone train etiquette norms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom