• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing PS4 Pro to Switch OLED

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I always wondered who actually plays while commuting? On a train? On a bus? On a car? When I was a kid I used to play my gameboy color in my mom's car and all I got from that was an early introduction to motion sickness.

Ive had my switch since launch and mostly used it docked. My wife mostly likes hers in handheld mode but doesnt use it while commuting. The portability aspect has been great when it comes to going away for vacation or business trips. Or to take around friends houses to play but that's mostly it.

Can you even get a serious or quality gaming session done in that kinda setting? What do you even do?

I would have liked a performance upgrade because I don't really want to buy more games for the switch if I'm basically going to be playing cyberpunk on a launch PS4 when I do. But I am also not too bothered really, Nintendo can do whatever the fuck they want, they'll get my money when they release something I actually care about.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Most people use portable for different reason, for me I use it on my bed before going to sleep and sometimes play it on my balcony when the weather is good.
Yeah I can agree with that for sure, ive used it that way as well and all my portables before, It's a great way to use it. I was more or less reflecting on the commuting train argument I see thrown around all these threads.

Hell I always take my switch on 8+ hours flights and then never play it. But will play it at the hotel lol

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The OLED is more of an XL than a Pro even new 3ds and DSi were more powerful, i wonder if the next Switch model is Switch 2 or Pro

Because trains are for absolute fucking quiet time. No talking, no noise, no eating, headphones where possible always otherwise put that phone away.

Someone smashing buttons at 7am as everyone makes their way to the office has no place in a place as holy as the train commute.

But I figure anyone partaking in this exercise doesn’t fit in with social norms let alone train etiquette norms.

What kinda magic train are you on where you can hear people pressing buttons? Trains around here are loud as fuck. I agree with you about the no audio thing though.

But these beta ass rules ain't gonna work on me, boy. Don't wanna be disturbed before you go cuck for your office masters? 1 v 1 me on the train in Animal Crossing ya bitch.

One thing I like is comparing those systems' screens.

Original Switch
- Has a screen

OLED Switch
- Has a screen

PS4 Pro
- No screen??????

No idea what Sony was thinking.

I always wondered who actually plays while commuting? On a train? On a bus? On a car? When I was a kid I used to play my gameboy color in my mom's car and all I got from that was an early introduction to motion sickness.
It's apparently not that weird in Japan, I think. But I'm really not sure about it. I just remember people mentioning how Monster Hunter got really big on the PSP thanks especially to the Ad-hoc multiplayer feature. No idea if this still stands, though.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Let’s compare the same hardware with a different screen, to a significant hardware upgrade.

Is this your idea of a thread?

There’s already half a dozen threads to discuss how worthless the OLED Switch is to most people who already have the original. Some of you really have too much free time on their hands.

I will buy another Switch there is no doubt about that but this upgrade or whatever they call it is a slap in the face to me as a OG Switch owner. So i will wait for a proper upgrade whenever that may be im not expecting 4k but just 1080p handheld and 1440p docked. We as Switch owner need to stop supporting Nintendo pathetic excuse of upgrades it sad it hurts me to say this but i can no longer support the stuff they try to pull.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
We as Switch owner need to stop supporting Nintendo pathetic excuse of upgrades it sad it hurts me to say this but i can no longer support the stuff they try to pull.
I’m not all that obsess with graphics like most people here and I’m quite happy with my OG Switch, as long as Nintendo gives me the games I want then they get my support, it’s that simple. Games is the only thing matters to me, it’s how I choose which system to buy.

I’m not all that obsess with graphics like most people here and I’m quite happy with my OG Switch, as long as Nintendo gives me the games I want then they get my support, it’s that simple. Games is the only thing matters to me, it’s how I choose which system to buy.
It not purely the graphics the games recently released are barely hitting sub 25 fps it a painful experience.

Danjin44

It not purely the graphics the games recently released are barely hitting sub 25 fps it a painful experience.
My experience with games like Monster Hunter Rise pretty smooth and I played games like Bloodborne on my PS4 with frame pacing issue with no problem.....if you have that much issue graphics then you much better off with PS5/XSS and PC.

If you think I will skip games like SMT5 over petty stuff like that then you guys are out your minds.

UnNamed

Banned
This comparison has no sense. Switch OLED is like the Switch with Mariko chip.
The real comparison could be with a PS4 Slim, but I would say it's just the usual PS4 revision.

I see this argument being thrown around constantly. Have you ever thought that some people out there don't care about the portable functionality, but still want to play some Nintendo games with a better frame rate and resolution? I know it's hard to fathom.

Truth is judging by the Wii U there are not many of those people. Switch is essentially a Wii U that is more portable. It shares like 50% of the big names in the library. That said when the graphics are worse than mobile games, you have a problem.

Last edited:
My experience with games like Monster Hunter Rise pretty smooth and I played games like Bloodborne on my PS4 with frame pacing issue with no problem.....if you have that much issue graphics then you much better off with PS5/XSS and PC.

If you think I will skip games like SMT5 over petty stuff like that then you guys are out your minds.
No one telling you to skip Shin Megami, just that this oled upgrade price at 350 is a joke really i know it a handheld and your basically paying for the portable factor but come on now.

Danjin44

No one telling you to skip Shin Megami, just that this oled upgrade price at 350 is a joke really i know it a handheld and your basically paying for the portable factor but come on now.
This so called “upgrade” is for people who don’t own Switch at all, I own my OG Switch and don’t need OLED version.

I buy gaming system one reason and one reason only, games. Power of console is irrelevant to me, it’s exactly why I chose to get Switch over Xbox.

This so called “upgrade” is for people who don’t own Switch at all, I own my OG Switch and don’t need OLED version.

I buy gaming system one reason and one reason only, games. Power of console is irrelevant to me, it’s exactly why I chose to get Switch over Xbox.
OK fine we can agree to disagree i really was expecting a upgrade that why im so disappointed at least know why i feel this way.

Danjin44

OK fine we can agree to disagree i really was expecting a upgrade that why im so disappointed at least know why i feel this way.
But there was no official confirmation for it, you guys are the ones decided take the rumours as real confirmation with no proper evidence. You guys have no one but yourself to blame for feeling disappointed.

Nico_D

What are all of these kinds of threads supposed to prove? Other than that I'm stupid enough to read them?

That you have a need to prove the console you own is better than the console you don't own?

There's like five threads everyday putting two consoles or their games head to head. And the end result is the same.

Marvel14

Banned
I don't understand how people can't realize they are very different situations.

1. One was a home console that sits in a tv stand or on a desk, and the other is a portable console that docks into the tv. One can be as big as it wants to be (PS4 Pro was much bigger then the OG PS4, and then look at the PS5). It's going to be much harder to fit better specs in the same form factor. The Switch HAS to function as a handheld first and foremost otherwise the hybrid concept doesn't work (yes they could do a home console only version) and I think people overestimate how much power you can fit into a portable as small as a Switch at a reasonable price (looking at stuff like the iPhone 12 which is $800 or above).

2. The OLED Switch is NOT a PRO console so it's not even remotely the same thing as the PS4 Pro. The OLED Switch is more akin to something like the DS Lite or GBA SP. Why people keep making these connections is beyond me. I think people just want to shit on something.

The whole thread needs unpacking:

1. Is the Switch worth what it costs? Yes it still does - great library and unique hybrid proposition that is still a valued USP.

2. Is the Switch OLED a meaningful upgrade? No. Ps4 Pro and XBSX were.

3. Is Switch OLED a cost effective upgrade like Pro and SX? Hell no, a screen and modest storage boost are the lowest end of upgrade possible and without a price drop its clear Nintendo is boosting its profit margins.

4. Is the Switch OLED worth buying? Yes if you want to enjoy Switch's value proposition for the first time, not really if you already have one (especially the Mariko upgrade).

Thread closed.

Last edited:

Scotty W

gbra,6x6,1000x1000-c,0,0,675,900.jpg

Kuranghi

Realistically though, whats the plan if we want better HW from Nintendo? Do we have to agree to refuse to buy Nintendo consoles or games until they do? I can't think of another way, since there are no small number of consumers online complaining about how underpowered it is and they don't seem to take notice of any of it.

People like us who know how poor the HW is compared to rival products, how are we supposed to convince everyone else who doesn't care about framerates and IQ?

I would buy a more powerful Nintendo HW in a second, I would sacrifice all the portability just to get even 20% more performance because I don't care about it at all really, it just seems like they don't want to do that and the sales they are getting tell them the strategy they have now is correct so its a difficult situation.

I won't buy a Switch OLED because I don't use it portably so every upgrade is useless to me, I already have an ethernet adapter for my current Switch.

Last edited:
No one is claiming Switch OLED is the Switch Pro we were wanting. It's just a minor revision with no internal upgrades. Of course, it can't compare to PS4 Pro or One X.

Hopefully, Nintendo will still do a Switch Pro at some point. But, this isn't it and I think everyone already understood that.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
You actually can with the remote play app, so yes
Is 5G really that good? My cell plan doesn't have it and I can't fathom trying to use remote play on the move when the feature isn't even perfect on my home network (PS4 pro in my office remote playing PS5 in the living room).

recursive

Could you play the PS4 or PS4 pro on the train while commuting?
I see a lot of mention of this type of thing. I really wonder how many people are really taking their switch on the road? Anecdotally I have o ly seen one person on a plane with one in dozens of flights.

I think it would be interesting if nintendo released some stats on how frequently people are using their switches docked vs unlocked.

PhaseJump

Banned
The real comparison Nintendo fans should consider comes down to ethics.

According to Intellivision CEO Tommy Tallarico, if you buy the Nintendo Switch, you support a company that endorses depictions of child molestation and rape:

200.gif

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I see a lot of mention of this type of thing. I really wonder how many people are really taking their switch on the road? Anecdotally I have o ly seen one person on a plane with one in dozens of flights.

I think it would be interesting if nintendo released some stats on how frequently people are using their switches docked vs unlocked.
I doubt they could provide those stats without since kind of voluntary survey. Fwiw, I play mine on flights but have only seen one other adult doing so, so I know what you mean. It could be there is a bit of a stigma since it does look like a toy.

MiguelItUp

It's two different companies with two completely different approaches. The Switch is a handheld device, and the OLED variant feels very much like what they've done in the past. Especially with the GBA and DS line. It's the same, but S L I G H T L Y different and "better".

Mr Rawnch

Neo Member
I'm a bit baffled by the OLED model. It seems to be targeted at folks that enjoy handheld gaming, and it probably would have made more sense to make this the "Lite" version. Performance-wise, it appears all three Switch SKU's are the same.

If the OLED model offered high definition enhancements and improved storage speed -- this would be a no-brainer for me.

FStubbs

What are all of these kinds of threads supposed to prove? Other than that I'm stupid enough to read them?

That you have a need to prove the console you own is better than the console you don't own?

There's like five threads everyday putting two consoles or their games head to head. And the end result is the same.
People are clearly angry and venting

Rodolink

Ive had my switch since launch and mostly used it docked. My wife mostly likes hers in handheld mode but doesnt use it while commuting. The portability aspect has been great when it comes to going away for vacation or business trips. Or to take around friends houses to play but that's mostly it.

Can you even get a serious or quality gaming session done in that kinda setting? What do you even do?

I would have liked a performance upgrade because I don't really want to buy more games for the switch if I'm basically going to be playing cyberpunk on a launch PS4 when I do. But I am also not too bothered really, Nintendo can do whatever the fuck they want, they'll get my money when they release something I actually care about.
i commute everyday on the Strassenbahn playing my backlog, biggest issue is sound, (i have no noise cancelling headphones) and dizziness is non existent since the bahn is pretty slow (different story traveling by bus or car, there its impossible to play without getting dizzy)

V4skunk

Banned
Switch OLED is for people that want a new Switch.
I also believe the OLED version is a direct replacement for the OG which will soon be discontinued when sold out.

OP's post is misleading.

The PS4 Pro didn't cost the same as the PS4. The PS4 Pro cost $399 vs the PS4 Slim at $299. It's just that the price of the base PS4 has dropped over time to keep sales strong. Nintendo just hasn't had to do a price drop because demand is still strong. Nintendo still sells them as fast as they make them. Adding an OLED screen added value to the base unit so it sells for more than the base unit which is still available to purchase.

A more accurate comparison would be the 3DS to 3DS XL. Same performance but a larger screen. There, the price went down $50 from $249 to $199 but the 3DS had stumbled badly out of the gate and had already seen a price drop just like the base PS4.

From personal experience of my immediate family, my two brothers, my sister and I all have a Switch. My younger brother only plays handheld, he actually has a Switch Pro controller he bought at launch but has actually never used it. He owns a bunch of LPGA retro consoles and other consoles modded to run HDMI so he isn't adverse to playing docked but still prefers playing the switch in handheld mode. My older brother plays almost entirely handheld because his wife lives on the TV and it's the only way he can play for the most part. He'll dock it to play couch co-op games but that's about it. I play mine docked to my PC monitor but I take it with me when I go to the cabin in the summer where we don't actually even have a TV and I play it on my lunch breaks at work. My sister doesn't play a lot but her kids play it and it's in handheld mode most of the time. My friend who lives in the basement here hasn't even had his dock hooked up since 2017.

BootsLoader

Banned
Comparing burgers to gasoline.

Edit: I would take a PS5 any day. Switch is very overpriced. Everyone is talking about portability like they play all day on the roads……with that shitty battery switch has.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Power, graphics etc. is a concern with Nintendo consoles it’s why R* and Dice won’t look their way.

FStubbs

You actually can with the remote play app, so yes
The PS4 can't even stream effectively to my Vita, I wouldn't want to try it over 5G

Power, graphics etc. is a concern with Nintendo consoles it’s why R* and Dice won’t look their way.

R* and Dice wouldn't support Nintendo if they had a box with a 3090 on it.

EDIT: Unless we're talking about GTA: Chinatown Wars. That did end up on DS and PSP.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
The PS4 can't even stream effectively to my Vita, I wouldn't want to try it over 5G

R* and Dice wouldn't support Nintendo if they had a box with a 3090 on it.

EDIT: Unless we're talking about GTA: Chinatown Wars. That did end up on DS and PSP.
I have a hardwired connection 300/300 (downgraded from 1000/1000, hardly used it) and the remote played app worked great for me.

TheGrat1

You guys made yourself believe Switch "Pro" is real without any official conformation and disappointed yourself for not being real and now we are gonna get this type of cringy threads of you guys crying over something that wasn't real in first place.
5pe2gJv.jpg

GametimeUK

Because trains are for absolute fucking quiet time. No talking, no noise, no eating, headphones where possible always otherwise put that phone away.

Someone smashing buttons at 7am as everyone makes their way to the office has no place in a place as holy as the train commute.

But I figure anyone partaking in this exercise doesn’t fit in with social norms let alone train etiquette norms.

So you would respect someone playing Playstation games on the train, but a Nintendo Switch has no place on one? Am I reading what you've wrote in the thread correctly? I'm interested to know why one is acceptable and the other one isn't. I don't mind if you think a console has no place on a train because that's your opinion, but your opinion doesn't seem very consistent from how I have read your comments so far.

Caio

better comparison

Switch OLED vs Xbox One X

the One X launched at the same price as the Xbox One while being about 5x as powerful, having 2x storage and a UHD BluRay player. the timeframe is also closer to what the OLED Switch does
The XBox One X was an hell of a mid gen upgrade, holy crap when I first played Forza Horizon 4, WOW, I was blown away !
And now we have got Switch OLED, what to say, Nintendo will still sell it like hot cakes, Nintendo couldn't care less about better performance, actually they don't want to waste one single extra $ for more development time and/or extra resources. This is Nintendo.

Top Bottom