• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing PS4 Pro to Switch OLED

Corgi1985

Banned
The XBox One X was an hell of a mid gen upgrade, holy crap when I first played Forza Horizon 4, WOW, I was blown away !
And now we have got Switch OLED, what to say, Nintendo will still sell it like hot cakes, Nintendo couldn't care less about better performance, actually they don't want to waste one single extra $ for more development time and/or extra resources. This is Nintendo.
The 20fps in BotW is part of the experience

Mozza

Nintendo fans are like Apple fans, love to pay more for less and always find a way to argue in defense of their beloved companies. Thats why Nintendo and Apple can make huge profit doing less effort as possible.
Yes that is what it must be, not the fact the wider market does not care about any of the core minorities needs, or that any of this is being discussed on niche gaming sits in the first place, guess they are off somewhere else doing different things. ;)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Could you play the PS4 or PS4 pro on the train while commuting?

No, but you can with an original Switch. This thread compares the PS4's and Switch's respective mid-gen upgrades and what changed from the original consoles, it does not compare the Switch with the PS4.

Your post is dumb.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I always wondered who actually plays while commuting? On a train? On a bus? On a car? When I was a kid I used to play my gameboy color in my mom's car and all I got from that was an early introduction to motion sickness.

Ive had my switch since launch and mostly used it docked. My wife mostly likes hers in handheld mode but doesnt use it while commuting. The portability aspect has been great when it comes to going away for vacation or business trips. Or to take around friends houses to play but that's mostly it.

Can you even get a serious or quality gaming session done in that kinda setting? What do you even do?

I would have liked a performance upgrade because I don't really want to buy more games for the switch if I'm basically going to be playing cyberpunk on a launch PS4 when I do. But I am also not too bothered really, Nintendo can do whatever the fuck they want, they'll get my money when they release something I actually care about.
Jesus, Cyberpunk on base PS4 is that really how you see the Switch? 😂 thats crazy man

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
No, but you can with an original Switch. This thread compares the PS4's and Switch's respective mid-gen upgrades and what changed from the original consoles, it does not compare the Switch with the PS4.

Your post is dumb.
The point of the post was to point out they are fundamentally different gaming platforms and so the comparison isn't that helpful.

The kind of player that gravitates toward a PS4 Pro is concerned about different features than a switch player. Nintendo obviously believes the mobile aspect is more critical given that they already released a mobile only version of the switch. The same is true with the OLED switch, it appeals to a gamer with different sensibilities.

Next time I'll break out the food processor and make the post baby food so you don't choke on it.

Yes that is what it must be, not the fact the wider market does not care about any of the core minorities needs, or that any of this is being discussed on niche gaming sits in the first place, guess they are off somewhere else doing different things. ;)

Or maybe there is the fact that there is no competition for Nintendo in the handheld space. Sony COULD have done well with vita if it wasnt for their propriety storage. If only they didnt do that one mistake.

Kholinar

Banned
Our efforts, meaningless. Our squabbles, pointless. Our hopes, in vain. It doesn't matter a tiny bit. Even if Twitter literally erupted in verbal indignation for this junk of a revision, Nintendo wouldn't even bat an eye. Whatever they put out, the masses will buy. Old Nintendo is gone. GGs.

Last edited:
Our efforts, meaningless. Our squabbles, pointless. Our hopes, in vain. It doesn't matter a tiny bit. Even if Twitter literally erupted in verbal indignation for this junk of a revision, Nintendo wouldn't even bat an eye. Whatever they put out, the masses will buy. Old Nintendo is gone. GGs.
Unfortunately, this is the truth.

That not entirely true they put out the Wii U and it flop so there is hope that people will not buy this money grab.

Mattyp

Gold Member
What kinda magic train are you on where you can hear people pressing buttons? Trains around here are loud as fuck. I agree with you about the no audio thing though.

But these beta ass rules ain't gonna work on me, boy. Don't wanna be disturbed before you go cuck for your office masters? 1 v 1 me on the train in Animal Crossing ya bitch.

😂

I only 1 v 1 in Pokémon, and if you want to bring anything other than first gen there’s going to be a problem. You bring the transfer cable cunt and we’ll settle it ono on ono.

kyliethicc

Switch is also a home console that also happen to be portable.
The Switch is a handheld portable that can be connected to a TV, not a home console. I can connect my iPhone to my TV too, but its still a mobile device, not a home console. (And the Switch Lite cannot connect to a TV.)

Gameboy, DS, PSP, Switch, etc.. They're handheld portables (aka gaming centric mobile devices). Internal batteries, built-in displays & controls, etc.

Home consoles require a separate external display. And use an external controller too, wired or wireless. Like PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Wii, etc. They don't have an internal battery that needs recharging and allows for wireless use. They have fixed power supplies and must be plugged in to work. Unlike a phone or tablet (or Switch.)

Calling the Switch a home console is like calling a laptop a desktop.

Last edited:
The Switch is a handheld portable that can be connected to a TV, not a home console. I can connect my iPhone to my TV too, but its still a mobile device, not a home console. (And the Switch Lite cannot connect to a TV.)

Gameboy, DS, PSP, Switch, etc.. They're handheld portables (aka gaming centric mobile devices). Internal batteries, built-in displays & controls, etc.

Home consoles require a separate external display. And use an external controller too, wired or wireless. Like PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Wii, etc. They don't have an internal battery that needs recharging and allows for wireless use. They have fixed power supplies and must be plugged in to work. Unlike a phone or tablet (or Switch.)

Calling the Switch a home console is like calling a laptop a desktop.
My Switch which i bought in 2018 has never left it docked since thus it is a home console basically. Believe it or not it actually works better when docked thus it is more powerful as a home console that how i play Zelda on it with the Pro controller.

Intoxicate

The 4K support of the PS4 was disappointing. I always picked performance in Games where I had the option. It felt like no upgrade from the PS4, the main thing I noticed was the noisier fan.

Since I was from day one disappointed with the cheap LCD screen they put in the Switch, the OLED screen will enhance my experience hopefully a lot.

So for me the PS4 Pro upgrade was useless and I’m looking forward to the OLED Switch model.

The cost for the upgrade will be the same since the Switch holds it’s price far better than the PS4 did.

Intoxicate

Because trains are for absolute fucking quiet time. No talking, no noise, no eating, headphones where possible always otherwise put that phone away.

Someone smashing buttons at 7am as everyone makes their way to the office has no place in a place as holy as the train commute.

But I figure anyone partaking in this exercise doesn’t fit in with social norms let alone train etiquette norms.

I have never been in such a train. Here at 7a.m. You have a mix of stressed business clown doing their first calls and kids heading for school. That’s far from a holy place.

To be fair i wouldn't be caught dead with one of those breadboard Switches in my adult hands on the train to work
This is one of the weirdest rationalizations of anti switch on buses I have seen. You would seriously rather get shot in the head than play switch on the bus?

Orta

Banned
Apart from fellating Sony for the four billionth time what exactly is the point of this thread? Comparing a hardware upgrade covering all major components in one system to comparing a display upgrade in another?

Yay! Go Sony!!! Ooh, Mr Cerny, I'm on my knees and ready for your load.

Etc.

Banjo64

cumsessed
To the people bringing up portability, I had to get rid of my joy-cons due to stick drift so now use an 8bitdo Pro Plus controller with my Switch in table top mode.

This is hardly ideal and removes the traditional handheld form factor. It’s also locked me out of Pokémon Let’s Go Eevee, as you can’t use a normal controller.

If the controllers actually functioned correctly this would be a valid point.

Tschumi

This is one of the weirdest rationalizations of anti switch on buses I have seen. You would seriously rather get shot in the head than play switch on the bus?
This one of the hardest I've ever seen someone try to squeeze an argument out of a pretty conclusive statement

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
better comparison

Switch OLED vs Xbox One X

the One X launched at the same price as the Xbox One while being about 5x as powerful, having 2x storage and a UHD BluRay player. the timeframe is also closer to what the OLED Switch does
It was also most likely heavily subsidised by Microsoft to gain market share, something Nintendo won’t do.

Ten_Fold

I don't understand how people can't realize they are very different situations.

1. One was a home console that sits in a tv stand or on a desk, and the other is a portable console that docks into the tv. One can be as big as it wants to be (PS4 Pro was much bigger then the OG PS4, and then look at the PS5). It's going to be much harder to fit better specs in the same form factor. The Switch HAS to function as a handheld first and foremost otherwise the hybrid concept doesn't work (yes they could do a home console only version) and I think people overestimate how much power you can fit into a portable as small as a Switch at a reasonable price (looking at stuff like the iPhone 12 which is $800 or above).

2. The OLED Switch is NOT a PRO console so it's not even remotely the same thing as the PS4 Pro. The OLED Switch is more akin to something like the DS Lite or GBA SP. Why people keep making these connections is beyond me. I think people just want to shit on something.
Best comment, it would’ve been better for sure to compare the switch OLED to the DS lite since the games performance isn’t super different, the switch pro would be like DS to 3DS.

SirTerry-T

42yfWO5.jpg

Mattyp

Gold Member
I have never been in such a train. Here at 7a.m. You have a mix of stressed business clown doing their first calls and kids heading for school. That’s far from a holy place.

Not even any quiet carriages? I feel for you. It’s actually quite enjoyable at 5am.

nbkicker

There is no comparing, the ps4 pro is a big upgrade from the ps4, the switch oled has a different screen , for me stopped playing my switch when splatoon 2 stopped doing the monthly battles and gear, since then ive bought luigi mansion and mario 3 game bundle thing and not touched them and garage builder thing which was rubbish, tbh think ill prob sell my switch or give away as got a xbox x, ps5 and a monster pc and even when using switch had it connected to tv all time as drive everywhere and when at work on bait times id rather watch youtube or read, like sega, nintendo to me is a dying brand

Neff

Because trains are for absolute fucking quiet time. No talking, no noise, no eating, headphones where possible always otherwise put that phone away.

Someone smashing buttons at 7am as everyone makes their way to the office has no place in a place as holy as the train commute.

But I figure anyone partaking in this exercise doesn’t fit in with social norms let alone train etiquette norms.

Are you handsome, fit and well-dressed? You can play Switch on a train.

Are you strictly average-looking, doughy, wearing a pop culture t-shirt and cargo shorts? Put it away before someone photographs you.

Top Bottom