• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Complicated times for playstation and other consoles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
We know Jim Ryan is a good-for-nothing egocentric, but he's not worth mentioning or arguing about.

I speak because these years have been very complicated for the world.

The Covid 19 pandemic, the chip crisis and Russo-Ukrainian War.

Also adding that Playstation had the "Brilliant" idea of not having the solid Japanese market.

To all this, in addition to the fact that the console has honestly sold too little for its current life.

Adding cross-generation, not many people still want to move to PS5, having a PS4 still alive, where many of the games do not have a justifiable change for their acquisition.

There is a very serious problem in the brand but I don't think they will admit it, we are in very difficult times for PS5?.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
People are obsessed about games being cross-gen while actually, what matters is games being good.

Of course, I am not denying how the PS5 was sold at the very beginning. But this is your typical Sony communication. People should be less naive. Of course everything is cross-gen, despite what they said.

Games feel like they have been cross-gen with PS360 every since these two consoles came out anyway. Same shit, prettier graphics.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I just really want cross gen to end, but more and more, i get the feeling that ps5’s will never ever be widely availible, its just gonna be too long for the chip shortage to end. I think cross gen is here to stay for probably this entire generation

I'm finding stuff to play on all 3 systems. Last gen I only owned 2 systems.

I see things I don't like, and flaws sometimes, but on the whole my main complaint is lack of free time to play everything. Things are looking pretty good in general.

Pros this gen:
  • Lots of games.
  • Gamepass.
  • 60 fps.
Cons this gen:
  • Lots of boring homogenization in AAA games.
  • Price increases.
  • Buggy games.
The pros override the cons for me. I'm able to avoid most $70 games pretty easily since there's so much to play. Picking up stuff on sale down the road is fine for me a lot of the time.

The only real question mark for me is Switch 2. And I'm honestly fine if they wait a while to help with supply crunch. I still enjoy a ton of Games on Switch. I'll be playing Splatoon 3 for like 2 years.

Umbasaborne

Banned
People are obsessed about games being cross-gen while actually, what matters is games being good.

Of course, I am not denying how the PS5 was sold at the very beginning. But this is your typical Sony communication. People should be less naive. Of course everything is cross-gen, despite what they said.

Games feel like they have been cross-gen with PS360 every since these two consoles came out anyway. Same shit, prettier graphics.
Well, games being cross gen holds them back in some significant ways. No one is denying that they look great, graphics, effects, and frame rate can always scale up or down, but things like world and level design, physics, and ai are all no where close to meeting their potential, due to needing to run on 10 year old hardware

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Eh. Despite all the shortages and viruses, they are pretty much on par with how much they sold around the same time last gen. If anything, for the first 12 months or so, they were outpacing the PS4 sales.

Dont let anyone tell you their cross gen strategy is due to the virus or the shortage. Those things were decided years ago due to corporate greed and a lack of ambition on the devs part.

The chip shortage will be over by next year, but I can promise you next gen will never really take off. You can see from their state of play how they are simply not prepared for next gen. And it is not exclusive to Sony. MS, Ubisoft, EA, Take2 and Square have all phoned in this gen.

Seriously? despite all the problems I have mentioned? or ps3 had worse problems?
Honestly I agree with him. There was basically nothing to play on PS4 except Ground Zeroes and inFamous for like 2 years. I played Wii U and 3DS that entire time and my system collected dust. PS5 is pretty similar honestly, but I'd rank it very slightly ahead because it runs the old games well, and there's more smaller digital releases like Sifu. Both consoles started extremely slowly.

Stuart360

You're going to be influxed with smilies, and the expected bile from the usual suspects, but i get what you're trying to say.
I think you're looking too far into it though, and i think all it will mean long term is this gen going on for 1-2 years longer than Sony and Microsoft were probably planning before all this stuff came to light.
I still think PS5 will sell 100+mil, and the Series consoles having a bit of a rebound into the 70-80mil range.

oldergamer

We know Jim Ryan is a good-for-nothing egomaniac, but he's not worth mentioning or arguing about.

Also adding that Playstation had the "Brilliant" idea of not having the solid Japanese market.

To all this, in addition to the fact that the console has honestly sold too little for its current life.

Adding cross-generation, not many people still want to move to PS5, having a PS4 still alive, where many of the games do not have a justifiable change for their acquisition.

There is a very serious problem in the brand but I don't think they will admit it, we are in very difficult times for PS5.
An ego maniac? like wtf dude, you don't know him. So sick of people on forums thinking they know people in the game industry beyond what gets posted to twitter.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I love that these threads exist while the console is still marked up 33% on eBay 16 months later because of the insane demand. Some guy in another thread just paid $920 for one.

I think the "very difficult times for PS5" might be a slight exaggeration.

NahaNago

The pandemic plus the chip shortage just straight up troubled the launch of next gen. Cross-gen games are fine. They simply needed to state that they were crossgen when announced and this would have solved the problem plus the generations drama didn't help.
Eh. Despite all the shortages and viruses, they are pretty much on par with how much they sold around the same time last gen. If anything, for the first 12 months or so, they were outpacing the PS4 sales.

Dont let anyone tell you their cross gen strategy is due to the virus or the shortage. Those things were decided years ago due to corporate greed and a lack of ambition on the devs part.

The chip shortage will be over by next year, but I can promise you next gen will never really take off. You can see from their state of play how they are simply not prepared for next gen. And it is not exclusive to Sony. MS, Ubisoft, EA, Take2 and Square have all phoned in this gen.
Yeah, I'm thinking all of those games were crossgen in the first place. There was no way they was going to just drop the ps4 right at the launch of the ps5 when they have over a hundred million consoles already sold.

Heimdall_Xtreme

These types of responses are what I like and contribute to the conversation.

SlimySnake

The pandemic plus the chip shortage just straight up troubled the launch of next gen. Cross-gen games are fine. They simply needed to state that they were crossgen when announced and this would have solved the problem plus the generations drama didn't help.
Yeah the dishonesty from Jim Ryan is the biggest knock against him. Otherwise, Phil Spencer, EA and Ubisoft CEOs have all done the same thing when it comes to holding back this gen with cross gen games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

You're going to be influxed with smilies, and the expected bile from the usual suspects, but i get what you're trying to say.
I think you're looking too far into it though, and i think all it will mean long term is this gen going on for 1-2 years longer than Sony and Microsoft were probably planning before all this stuff came to light.
I still think PS5 will sell 100+mil, and the Series consoles having a bit of a rebound into the 70-80mil range.
Yes, I understand what you are mentioning, but here it is not important if they put smiles on me or this type of thing.

But it is to argue that these times have been difficult for everyone, but I understand and I am glad that they contribute to the subject such as your comments and many why the brand is still strong.

Oh, and Quest 2 is my first exposure to mainstream VR. Been a great backup thing for me. I've never honestly gamed on this many consoles at once.

mxbison

A year after release they are still selling faster than they can build them and game industry profits are sky rocketing as usual.

Don't exactly see what's complicated.

HTK

Banned
We know Jim Ryan is a good-for-nothing egomaniac, but he's not worth mentioning or arguing about.

There is a very serious problem in the brand but I don't think they will admit it, we are in very difficult times for PS5.
wtf are you talking about?

- I'm assuming you know Jim Ryan personally and have somehow attributed him as an egomaniac. Based on what? I have no idea what you're talking about or referring too.
- Consoles sold too little? Despite the pandemic the console has sold really well and remains sold out. No doubt in mind if they didn't have chip shortages the console would have sold even more so.
- Adding cross-generation may not be a popular for many PS5 owners, but considering the pandemic and chip shortage and not being able to produce enough PS5's. I think it's a good move to have some big hitters like God of War: Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 for the existing PS4 fanbase.

NOTE: Let's say cross-gen had nothing to do with the pandemic or chip shortages. Fact is these games began their development long ago and it would be stupid to alienate 100+ Million of your customers. Also cross-gen is nothing fucking new, it has happened every console generation.

We are not in any difficult times for the PS5 despite the last State of Play being utter garbage.

Last edited:
Seriously? despite all the problems I have mentioned? or ps3 had worse problems?
PS3? what? PS3 had a huge fail-rate for starters. We got the PSN hack, we got PS3 bricking because it didn't recognize February 29th on their calendars and all 3rd party games played worse on it. Sony's first real console seller was MGS4 in 2008. 2 years after release. 1st party studios really hit their peak once LittleBigPlanet came out and it never stopped. The first couple years were rough as hell.
PS5 started with games like Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Returnal a few months later, Ratchet a few month later. It just got Horizon Forbodden West AND a new main Gran Turismo game right when it's hitting 1 year and half on the shelves with a new God of War game coming this year.

For contrast, right about now PS4 would be getting Bloodbourne. Everything else before it was boring as hell.

I really think you guys aren't appreciating these consoles. PS5 isn't hitting record sales numbers because it simply can't. That's all...but Sony is delivering big time with their studios. It's night and day if you compare the first year and half with the previous 2 gens.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i decided to cancel my PS5 pre order and stick with my PS4. don't feel like i'm missing out on anything but pretty graphics. can play Horizon Forbidden West + Gran Turismo.

i'm waiting for a Slim/Pro model .... and some PS5 exclusives before moving to PS5 lol

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

In the first 1 1/2 year? What?

For the current times that are complicated in the world, that's what I meant, not for the years of release. But I see good contributions of comments here
PS3? what? PS3 had a huge fail-rate for starters. We got the PSN hack, we got PS3 bricking because it didn't recognize February 29th on their calendars and all 3rd party games played worse on it. Sony's first real console seller was MGS4 in 2008. 2 years after release. 1st party studios really hit their peak once LittleBigPlanet came out and it never stopped. The first couple years were rough as hell.
PS5 started with games like Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Returnal a few months later, Ratchet a few month later. It just got Horizon Forbodden West AND a new main Gran Turismo game right when it's hitting 1 year and half on the shelves with a new God of War game coming this year.

For contrast, right about now PS4 would be getting Bloodbourne. Everything else before it was boring as hell.

I really think you guys aren't appreciating these consoles. PS5 isn't hitting record sales numbers because it simply can't. That's all...but Sony is delivering big time with their studios. It's night and day if you compare the first year and half with the previous 2 gens.
I do agree with you a lot on this.

Topher

Gold Member
"Difficult times"

25S9x4X.jpg

i decided to cancel my PS5 pre order and stick with my PS4. don't feel like i'm missing out on anything but pretty graphics. can play Horizon Forbidden West + Gran Turismo.

i'm waiting for a Slim/Pro model .... and some PS5 exclusives before moving to PS5 lol

Coming from ps4 pro to ps5, there is no amount of money you could pay me to play those games on a ps4 now. 30 second load times, 30fps, lower LoD, vacuum cleaner fan….no thanks

PS4 is damn near ancient in tech

Last edited:

SlimySnake

In the first 1 1/2 year? What?
In terms of quality, maybe not, but PS4 sold the graphics upgrade far better than the PS5 has so far.

Killzone Shadowfall was a true next gen showcase at launch. Demon Souls and Miles felt mostly cross gen. Demon Souls less so, but I didnt get the holyshit this is next gen feel from either game.
Infamous came out in March and set gaf on fire. It looked so stunning for an open world game, it literally started the Photo mode. Returnal and Ratchet simply didnt have that effect.
DriveClub was a stunner at launch and 8 years later, still looks better than most racing games especially in the rain.
The Order was hot garbage, but is still among the best looking games of all time.
Bloodborne was a game of the generation contender and looked stunning despite being a From game due to Sony Japan's involvement.

Regardless, all those games felt like a massive upgrade over the PS3 whereas all the Sony exclusives are either cross gen or feel cross gen. They lack that next gen holy shit moments we all experienced from the UE5 demo and the Matrix demo.

Topher

Gold Member
Coming from ps4 pro to ps5, there is no amount of money you could pay me to play those games on a ps4 now. 30 second load times, 30fps, lower LoD, vacuum cleaner fan….no thanks

Exactly. I couldn't stomach 30fps last gen so I moved primarily to PC. Now with the PC market being as expensive as it is, along with consoles having much better performance and superior load times, I'm gaming primarily on console. PS5 and XSX were definitely worth the investment.

Lupin25

I think you, just like many others, are anxiously and EAGERLY anticipating what they’re going to do next, because thus far…

We’ve got absolutely fuck all to reliably predict where Sony’s going. They’ve been one step ahead of all these “insiders” for awhile (ie. The recent “Big” State of Play).

I mean… it’s good, but it’s also frustrating being in the dark for so long as a PS5 owner who wants PS5-only games.
Especially those from 1st party studios.
Forspoken was the next “PS5-only title” after GhostWire Tokyo (which I’m still not convinced of). Now Forspoken is delayed, so what’s next for PS5 (next-gen) owners between March & October?

That’s the question posed that leads to the most apprehension for me now almost 2 years into current-gen.

They play their cards almost too close to their chest at times, which sometimes leads to more desperate prying by the public, thus more leaks, and more exposed piracy of IP.

…I’m just waiting basically lol.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Look my PS3 YLOD within 2 years, and I know how Sony lost all of its profits they had made in the PS1 and PS2 era within the first two years, but at the end of the day, the games are what matter, and the first two years of the PS3 were way better than what Sony managed to produce for the PS4 and especially the PS5.

MGS4 might have been the first system seller, but they had an incredible 2007. They launched with Resistance in 2006 which had an incredible online mode that really set itself apart from any PS2 game.

Then they came out with motorostorm, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted all within the first year. All true next gen showpieces. They felt a lot more prepared and despite all the problems with the cell, they delivered excellent visuals and gameplay. And thats just the exclusives. The first year and a half saw excellent third party games like Ass Creed, CoD 4 and GTA4.

The point is that despite all of the off field drama, PS studios delivered true next gen experiences. Aside from maybe Ratchet's world switching levels, there has been nothing even remotely next gen about any of Sony's games. Third parties are greedy and were always gonna phone it in which is why Sony shouldve been prepared with next gen exclusives like they did back in 2007.

PeteBull

We know Jim Ryan is a good-for-nothing egocentric, but he's not worth mentioning or arguing about.
For me thats the main reason playstation can lose top1 spot, it wont lose vs gimped console like switch, wont lose vs xbox coz before it launches topquality sp exclusives other than great racing game like FH5 it will be at least 3 more years, but if Playstation goes astray from winning formula thx to Jimbo the 1st, playstation gamers who dont give a damn about GAAS and gamepass alike stuff will get fucked hard, if they cared for such stuff they wouldnt be buying playstation consoles in the first place anyways.

Top quality exclusives are only way to victory aka amazing sales of hardware and software, imagine we didnt have Jim Ryan at the stearing wheel and we would get Elden Ring ps5 exclusive just like last gen we got Bloodborne, looking like Demons Souls remaster :)
I bet that would provide long stream of new playstation users till end of this gen, just one such game could make big impact, now its lost opportunity and who knows how many more opportunities will be lost :(

Rivet

Thread of the year candidate.

PS5 and XSX are still sold out everywhere right now, I'm not sure how it could mean they're in trouble. How could they sell more ?

Last edited:
I think you, just like many others, are anxiously and EAGERLY anticipating what they’re going to do next, because thus far…

We’ve got absolutely fuck all to reliably predict where Sony’s going. They’ve been one step ahead of all these “insiders” for awhile (ie. The recent “Big” State of Play).

I mean… it’s good, but it’s also frustrating being in the dark for so long as a PS5 owner who wants PS5-only games.
Especially those from 1st party studios.
Forspoken was the next “PS5-only title” after GhostWire Tokyo (which I’m still not convinced of). Now Forspoken is delayed, so what’s next for PS5 (next-gen) owners between March & October?

That’s the question posed that leads to the most apprehension for me now almost 2 years into current-gen.

They play their cards almost too close to their chest at times, which sometimes leads to more desperate prying by the public, thus more leaks, and more exposed piracy of IP.

…I’m just waiting basically lol.
Poor communication from Sony. That's definitely been true this gen, and a change from last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom