• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concerning Awards

tsumake

Awards reflect the tastes and preferences of those offering them. Awards arguably help a title saleswise by offering the consumer curation in their spending habits (“What should I buy?”). They are also an internal signal within the industry of what is quality and also influences how the industry wants to be perceived by non-hobbyists.

To the actual consumer they are meaningless.

Last edited:
If a game on its own cannot convince you of its greatness, the lauding choir exists to remind you.

While I have my own grievances with what TLOU2 became, I do not take issue with its regard as one of the best games among its peers. But it wasn’t a comparably pinnacle version of what it might have been.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Awards reflect the tastes and preferences of those offering them.

It's not even a matter of tastes and preferences. Nowadays, people who vote for big awards do so with a variety of purposes that has little to do with "vote for the good game."

Some want to support a cause. Some want to support a specific segment of the industry (mostly indie). Some want to support a message or a political narrative they approve of. Some simply vote for their friends. Awards are indeed meaningless.

Last edited:

T8SC

Gold Member
63f.jpg

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
While I don't think they're completely meritless, I do tend to ignore awards that aren't awarded by the players (typically via polling and submission, "Reader's Choice", etc). For example the DICE awards is essentially the industry (mostly executives) patting themselves on the back. Which is great for them, I guess, but as a consumer I couldn't care less.

nkarafo

The game does do some wonderful things in terms of technology/graphics/animation. I could give it awards for that.

As a game, no. Even without all the controversies, it's not that special of a game.

Ellery

Depends on what kind of person you are.

Some people just like video games and don't care. Others care about those awards and try out new games they maybe haven't heard about and check them out because of awards.
And then there are people that are so easily offended by a pixel girl with muscles in a video game that they would rather believe the entire industry decides on GOTY games in secret illuminati meetings with the sole intent to spite certain individuals and push agendas.

TLOU2 is a masterpiece and deserves every single award the game got. The awards are definitely not meaningless, but I would advise people to not let it get to your heads and the path of hate will only lead to more suffering on your side.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It's not even a matter of tastes and preferences. Nowadays, people who vote for big awards do so with a variety of purposes that has little to do with "vote for the good game."

Some want to support a cause. Some want to support a specific segment of the industry (mostly indie). Some want to support a message or a political narrative they approve of. Some simply vote for their friends. Awards are indeed meaningless.
Great post. Political propaganda is incredibly prevalent in some games today and this DOES in fact garner favor with the largely far-left leaning, extremist (aka woke) media. Representation of your collectivist identity group grants huge points in bias studies.

Interestingly, the notion of “I feel like my (skin color/ethnic background/gender identity) isn’t represented enough in media” has shown high correlation with the “dark triad” or personality traits which include Pschyopathy (.58 correlation), machiavellianism (.43 correlation), and narcissism (.30 correlation). These are staggering numbers and real data which you won’t see on CNN 😂. I will link the study below later if anyone wants to see it.

Hate TLOU2's story, loved the graphics, music, tech, art direction. When it started winning awards, I disagreed. Was fine that others liked it. It does suck to think that if that game wins so many awards that other devs/pubs MAY try and emulate some of the things that I disliked about TLOU2 into other franchises. But it is what it is, there's too many games for me to play to be so upset about 1 from a franchise I loved turning into something I didn't want. If a franchise wants to change the things about it that made me enjoy it, ok, I'll find another game similar to what I want I'm sure.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Depends on what kind of person you are.

Some people just like video games and don't care. Others care about those awards and try out new games they maybe haven't heard about and check them out because of awards.
And then there are people that are so easily offended by a pixel girl with muscles in a video game that they would rather believe the entire industry decides on GOTY games in secret illuminati meetings with the sole intent to spite certain individuals and push agendas.

TLOU2 is a masterpiece and deserves every single award the game got. The awards are definitely not meaningless, but I would advise people to not let it get to your heads and the path of hate will only lead to more suffering on your side.
If you view TLOU2 as "just another video game" then there's zero doubt that it correlates highly with your own (and Neil Druckmann's) political ideology, because while TLOU2 had solid mechanics and incredible technology it's abundantly clear that it was a work of political propaganda. I would highly suggest looking at the great works of film and literature across decades and centuries and you'll find exactly zero of them were concerned with collectivist ideology and identity politics.

I'm glad you liked it though.

Ellery

If you view TLOU2 as "just another video game" then there's zero doubt that it correlates highly with your own (and Neil Druckmann's) political ideology, because while TLOU2 had solid mechanics and incredible technology it's abundantly clear that it was a work of political propaganda. I would highly suggest looking at the great works of film and literature across decades and centuries and you'll find exactly zero of them were concerned with collectivist ideology and identity politics.

I'm glad you liked it though.

Interesting post, but what motivated you to write that and how exactly did the interpretation process of you go and come to the conclusion of what you did? I would be thrilled to read it in full detail, because it seems like reading and then interpreting resulted in a mismatch.

What I can tell you is that I don't see TLOU2 as "just another video game". If that makes the rest of your post void please let me know.

tsumake

Hmm, TLOU2 is a game meant for liberal, compassionate people. All of these hyperbolic defenses must be a joke, particularly since this is a post about awards in general.

Last edited:

tsumake

You said “to the actual consumer they are meaningless” when the actual consumers voted the same way

I guess you trust polling 🤷

If you like a game, how does an award enhance your opinion? What does it mean if you don’t like a game that won an award? Are you wrong for disliking it?

Last edited:

EXACTLY. Its not the game on its merits any more (Story, gameplay, score etc); now, its how many colored folk it has, how many women it has, is it telling a story not deviating from liberal and critical race theory ideals etc. We are heading into dark times with uninspired stories and eye rolling virtue signalling and "representation".

Top Bottom