• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confessions of fanboyism as a youth, tell us your story here

akimbo009

Gold Member
The console wars were a big thing in my 7-11 year old times. It wasn't just a dweeb thing we were all in on it. Kids actually got beaten up for their console choice in my elementary school. We got a lot of our news out of gaming magazines and kept up with reviews and even had a loose understanding of sales.

I'm not proud to admit it but I was a fanboy who loved Sony and the power of Playstation compelled me.

giphy.gif

I loved the Dreamcast in secret but when the PS2 thwomped them right out of the market I took some kind of sick pleasure in it.

I looked down on my peers who were Sega and Nintendo fans and so did several of my pals. Then MS fans came along and things really heated up. They were noobs to the market and kind of laughable to me but I was secretly jealous of Xbox's graphics, Ninja Gaiden, Riddick and Halo (still played the crud out of them though) but my respect for that franchise has dropped off a lot,

but yes my friends I was a massive console fanboy and this is my story.

It stopped?

pramod

Banned
Amiga >>> Atari ST

I had an Atari ST and my roommate had an Amiga. Yeah, it wasn't easy for me. It was a lot of daily coping to see and hear him play all those Amiga games with better graphics and sound.
He especially liked to play F-18 Interceptor with those awesome sound effects, maybe just to make me jealous.

Then 2 years later I got my own Amiga and dumped my ST. But funny thing is now when I look back, I realized I had a lot more fun on the ST with games like Dungeon Master, Carrier Command, Speedball, etc.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
3D was slightly faster on the ST but that was the only category it could claim against the Amiga 500.

Edit: as above - Carrier Command was special.

Last edited:

Holammer

Bit of a fanboy/defender for C64/AMIGA in my youth, but c'mon, the competition *was* swinging from the trees. Up until PC got its shit sorted and VGA became a thing, then I got my first 486.

I was always pretty relaxed, owned computers & all the consoles, I was the quintessential "le enlightened owns everything master race".
... but as a proper adult I developed a real dirty [disgusting even] fanboy period around 2003 when Steam released. I decided to make an account on this newfangled service, mostly because playing Counterstrike now required it. When I tried to register my copy of Half-life, the code was already claimed! (I'm guessing someone extracted my reg code at some Lan Party when I slept). I was furious! I wuz robbed! With God as my witness I swore off PC gaming & Steam in particular forever. I would stick mainly to gaming on consoles, PC was only good for Everquest, pirating games and surfing the web anyway.

I stuck to my guns up until 2010 when my friends wanted to me to join them playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 on PC. They insisted I make a Steam account because of the convenience and trust me, my objections to making an account was a sad display. Eventually I did so, but under duress!

AqecVCu.jpg

18 months later I bought Terraria, my second game, another six months later Armed & dangerous and the ball started rolling. Now I have 4.6k games on Steam.
It was a slow road to Damascus, but the convenience & low prices eventually won me over. When you get older not having boxes of games taking up space is a quality of its own.

Top Bottom