• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confusing knowledge with wisdom is the blunder that defines our age

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...2?shareToken=4477e9bcc3b786ee90b50da5073e586d

I abridged the more political stuff to make it a more general discussion.

Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves,” Jung wrote in his book Synchronicity. “But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune.” I am guessing all of us are hearing this voice at the moment, a persistent whisper that tells us that we are heading into an age of crisis, our political systems impotent to avert it, and perhaps actively contributing towards it.

“We are drowning in information but starving for wisdom,” wrote EO Wilson, the great biologist who died last year. Rarely have those words felt more true.

It is sometimes wise to step back and examine how human knowledge has been transformed in the past two and a half centuries. In the 18th century David Hume wrote treatises on everything from politics to philosophy and history to economics. Denis Diderot and Jean-Baptiste le Rond d’Alembert claimed to have encompassed all knowledge into a single set of books, their Encyclopédie. Little wonder that one scribe said that “a single individual could hold all western civilisation in their minds”.

Today things have radically changed. The “web of science” database contains 171 million papers and previously broad subjects such as physics and chemistry have splintered into thousands of subdisciplines from cryptozoology to fuzzy logic (important for AI). Across Whitehall there are experts in hundreds of policy areas, while think tanks curate their own fields of expertise. Nobody can hold all this knowledge in their minds, not even a genius. In a sense, knowledge is a bit like Polynesia: lots of islands, with their own language and customs, but which no one anthropologist can grasp.

But the sheer quantity of information creates a fundamental challenge when it comes to our most complex problems for, as Isaiah Berlin noted in his great essay The Hedgehog and the Fox, wisdom is not about narrow expertise, however impressive. Rather, it is about bringing insights together, breadth rather than depth, the wood rather than the trees. This is why as knowledge grows and fractures, wisdom becomes ever more elusive.

Science, for its part, has made strides towards grappling with the information explosion. Researchers in related disciplines have started to build unified frameworks of explanation, common standards of proof and shared language. This is enabling scientists to work together in multidisciplinary teams, to integrate information, to test broad hypotheses and to combat groupthink. It is as if the islands drifting apart in our metaphorical Polynesia are being connected through an intricate set of viaducts, tunnels and bridges — leading to that unified system of knowledge that EO Wilson termed “consilience”. He wrote: “The search for consilience might seem at first to imprison creativity, but the opposite is true. A unified system of knowledge is the surest means of identifying the still unexplored domains of reality. It provides a clear map of what is known, and it frames the most productive questions for future inquiry. Historians of science often observe that asking the right question is more important than producing the right answer. The right answer to a trivial question is also trivial, but the right question is a guide to major discovery.”

This is why the only way out of our political crisis is to take consilience seriously, to recognise that the growth of information has made policymaking harder. Crucially it shows that we need a new breed of leader. Instead of showmen and salespeople (or PPE graduates) we need “synthesisers”: people capable of putting together the right information at the right time, thinking critically about it and making crucial choices wisely.

...this is a problem that starts with us, our culture and consciousness. We swelled with hubris as we surveyed our technological splendour, conflating knowledge and wisdom, information and insight. This is the category error that defines our age, the false consciousness from which we must liberate ourselves.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
One of the hallmarks of great leaders is to take all the information available to them, assess and interrogate it intelligently, and make decisions based that information.

We have had very, very few people capable of doing that in any leadership roles for a long time now.

cormack12

Gold Member
I guess you can look back to the 70s/80s when we had issues with the hole in the ozone layer as a precedent. As the world got smaller and everyone became more intimately connected, it bred contempt or egotism. Or something.

"As news of the discovery spread, alarm rippled around the world. Projections that the destruction of the ozone layer would adversely impact the health of humans and ecosystems sparked public fear, mobilised scientific investigation and galvanised the world’s governments to collaborate in an unprecedented way."

"It's not the same cause for alarm that it once was," says Laura Revell, associate professor of environmental physics at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand. This is largely due to the unprecedented international steps that governments took to tackle the problem.

After the ozone hole discovery, heavy investment in scientific research, marshalling of economic resources and coordinated international political action helped to turn things around.

Since its adoption, the Montreal Protocol has been signed by every country on Earth – to date the only treaty to be universally ratified. It's widely considered a triumph of international environmental cooperation. According to some models, the Montreal Protocol and its amendments have helped prevent up to two million cases of skin cancer yearly and avoided millions of cataract cases worldwide.

Mistake

Critical thinking skills are the lowest I’ve ever seen, but things are slowly turning around. Would help a lot more if our brightest minds didn’t lose funding for stupid reasons, and let science do science

Wildebeest

Wisdom and knowledge synthesis are different things. Bluntly speaking, anyone can say any old crap they pulled out of their butt and make it sound wise if they dress it up right.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I would say the problem is that society has monetized tribalism to a degree I've never seen before in my lifetime. I think finding ways to stop things from continuing in that direction will be the true challenge of the next decade or two.
How do you know if you're not privy to the same set of information they are? What if the world has gotten so complex that it's outgrown the capabilities of humans to manage it?

That last question is rhetorical, imo. I think it already has. The best a leader can do is the best they can do and that might not be enough anymore.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Critical thinking skills are the lowest I’ve ever seen, but things are slowly turning around. Would help a lot more if our brightest minds didn’t lose funding for stupid reasons, and let science do science
I agree critical thinking skills have taken a hit--and at the same time, the amount of information available has grown exponentially.

As a result, you get a public vulnerable to misinformation. Hell, I'm not even saying I know what the "truth" is, either. Can anyone really know? If people in power want to manipulate public opinion, it doesn't even MATTER what the truth is. They'd just have to construct a compelling, believable narrative to suit their agenda and that's enough

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Bible indicates that our age would be one where we were “ever increasing in knowledge, but never the knowledge of the truth.”

“To know wisdom and instruction; To perceive the words of understanding; To receive the instruction of wisdom, Justice, and judgment, and equity; To give subtilty to the simple, To the young man knowledge and discretion. A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; And a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; The words of the wise, and their dark sayings.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭1:2-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Mistake

I agree critical thinking skills have taken a hit--and at the same time, the amount of information available has grown exponentially.

As a result, you get a public vulnerable to misinformation. Hell, I'm not even saying I know what the "truth" is, either. Can anyone really know? If people in power want to manipulate public opinion, it doesn't even MATTER what the truth is. They'd just have to construct a compelling, believable narrative to suit their agenda and that's enough
I feel as if wisdom is the ability to apply old solutions to new problems, but that doesn’t work so well when technology advances faster than we can handle it. I wouldn’t be surprised if schools still teach kids how to balance a checkbook, so how can we expect them to know how to pick apart sources and read between the lines? We need a better foundation if we’re going to improve society as a whole, and from there it will lead to other areas naturally.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Confusing Celebrity with Worth is the defining blunder of our age in my opinion. People line up to worship celebs or try to join them via streaming and other outlets. Gone are the days where hard work or specific skill was something to be respected above other means.

People don't want to be Astronauts, Archeologists, or Professors anymore. They want to be streamers. And I love a good streamer or a great content creator. But society has lost something in the process of their climb to fame.

We as a modern people are celebrating the dumb and the easy while actively ignoring the smart and the hard in favor of entertainment points.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
Confusing Celebrity with Worth is the defining blunder of our age in my opinion. People line up to worship celebs or try to join them via streaming and other outlets. Gone are the days where hard work or specific skill was something to be respected above other means.

People don't want to be Astronauts, Archeologists, or Professors anymore. They want to be streamers. And I love a good streamer or a great content creator. But society has lost something in the process of their climb to fame.

We as a modern people are celebrating the dumb and the easy while actively ignoring the smart and the hard in favor of entertainment points.
Maybe more like fit in points rather than entertainment points

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I guess you can look back to the 70s/80s when we had issues with the hole in the ozone layer as a precedent. As the world got smaller and everyone became more intimately connected, it bred contempt or egotism. Or something.

"As news of the discovery spread, alarm rippled around the world. Projections that the destruction of the ozone layer would adversely impact the health of humans and ecosystems sparked public fear, mobilised scientific investigation and galvanised the world’s governments to collaborate in an unprecedented way."

"It's not the same cause for alarm that it once was," says Laura Revell, associate professor of environmental physics at the University of Canterbury, New Zealand. This is largely due to the unprecedented international steps that governments took to tackle the problem.

After the ozone hole discovery, heavy investment in scientific research, marshalling of economic resources and coordinated international political action helped to turn things around.

Since its adoption, the Montreal Protocol has been signed by every country on Earth – to date the only treaty to be universally ratified. It's widely considered a triumph of international environmental cooperation. According to some models, the Montreal Protocol and its amendments have helped prevent up to two million cases of skin cancer yearly and avoided millions of cataract cases worldwide.

One wonders if Montreal would be ratified in this day and age.

You’d have people screaming that the hole isn’t that bad, and is just a natural thing that happens, and pointing to links for videos on YouTube about the hole in the ozone layer being a hoax.

Then politicians, who care more for their seats on the gravy train than the truth, would start to ignore the scientific consensus, and instead seek to please their followers on social media, so they retain their votes.

Any and all video evidence of the damage the hole creates would be declared fake by certain people with vested interests in keeping CFC producing companies happy. And their fans would cheer them for it, because they’ve been fooled into thinking those people are on their side. And then they’d all get skin cancer, and blame Hollywood.

We’re pretty much doomed.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Nothing much has happened. People still use the word 'world' especially in the so called the developed nation without understanding the weight of it. If I ask them to name all the nations of the world, just name they will fail miserably yet they have strong opinions about 'the world'.

Tams

It would also help if so many of them didn't have to work on military projects. It would free them up and free up so much funding.

But authoritarian regimes have shown that we can't afford to not let and encourage them to work on such projects. Or at least, if we want to enjoy living in a relatively free and fair world.

dr_octagon

Banned
Knowledge is understanding KFC sell chicken and how to buy food.

Wisdom is following and then distracting delivery drivers to steal the food for a free meal.

RAÏSanÏa

EO Wilson
Sounded like an interesting deist:
Wilson argued that belief in God and the rituals of religion are products of evolution.[58] He argued that they should not be rejected or dismissed, but further investigated by science to better understand their significance to human nature.
In a New Scientist interview published on January 21, 2015, however, Wilson said that "Religion 'is dragging us down' and must be eliminated 'for the sake of human progress'", and "So I would say that for the sake of human progress, the best thing we could possibly do would be to diminish, to the point of eliminating, religious faiths."
[61]

Consilience is already taken seriously and employed by some, but its presence is more often found in regions where there are many strong, educated, secular communities.

Nothing much has happened. People still use the word 'world' especially in the so called the developed nation without understanding the weight of it. If I ask them to name all the nations of the world, just name they will fail miserably yet they have strong opinions about 'the world'.
Those didn't memorize their Animaniacs.

Doom85

Feels a bit dramatic just because some newbie D&D players may ignorantly make WIS their highest stat and INT their dump stat for their wizard…

I’m blaming Steve.

LMAO, that reminds me of that Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode, think it was Night of the Blood Beast, where the gang begin acting like everyone in the film is named Steve due to the actual Steve in the film having his name said often.

”Steve 1, you go this guy! Steve 2, you’re with me!”
(the film characters discover a corpse)
”This has Steve written all over it!”

Last edited:

Tams

Sounded like an interesting deist:
Wilson argued that belief in God and the rituals of religion are products of evolution.[58] He argued that they should not be rejected or dismissed, but further investigated by science to better understand their significance to human nature.
In a New Scientist interview published on January 21, 2015, however, Wilson said that "Religion 'is dragging us down' and must be eliminated 'for the sake of human progress'", and "So I would say that for the sake of human progress, the best thing we could possibly do would be to diminish, to the point of eliminating, religious faiths."
[61]

Consilience is already taken seriously and employed by some, but its presence is more often found in regions where there are many strong, educated, secular communities.

Those didn't memorize their Animaniacs.

I love how that manages to insult quite a few countries.

Scotland is separate, calls the UK 'England' but highlights Scotland too, Tibet, Hong Kong, and I'm sure there are more. Zero fucks given; I love it.

RAÏSanÏa

I love how that manages to insult quite a few countries.

Scotland is separate, calls the UK 'England' but highlights Scotland too, Tibet, Hong Kong, and I'm sure there are more. Zero fucks given; I love it.
Ukraine was missing too. That's how old that was. Just checked a wiki and it said that it's been updated. Although it looks like there's a few more issues. lol

🎼
Montenegro and Bosnia Herzegovina,
The Soviet Union is gone,
South Africa, Georgia, Moldovia, Latvia,
Belarus, Azerbaijan.
Uzbekistan, HEY! Kazakhstan, HEY!
Then there's Tajikistan too,
HEY!
Turkmenistan, HEY! Kurdistan,
Armenia, Tonga, Palau.

Lithuania, Serbia, Kosovo,
US Samoa, the Balkans, Brunei,
Macau and Crimea, then Eritrea...

Ukraine, and Estonia,
here's Macedonia,
New Caledonia, Eastern Slavonia,
Ivory Coast, and Cape Verde, Andorra,
The Solomon Islands, Dubai!
Goodbye! 🎶

"If your attitude or your idea is that the population's going to get smarter, healthier and more adept at problem solving you're on fucking crack".

We are living in the decline of this era. The signs are literally everywhere and there's no stopping it.

dr_octagon

Banned

"If your attitude or your idea is that the population's going to get smarter, healthier and more adept at problem solving you're on fucking crack".

We are living in the decline of this era. The signs are literally everywhere and there's no stopping it.

Stay a true patriot and remember the American National anthem in these trying times.

Thanks for posting this thoughtful article. Introspection of the individual and society at large keeps me sane. The article talks about respective experts in their fields are isolated and how they should come together to solve problems. While I agree, I think we are way beyond that issue and have a much bigger issue. I've discovered people don't even care for knowledge or objective truth all that much, much less working together. What they really care about is the beating down and vanishing of people who don't agree with their subjective views, their truth, and that truth doesn't have to be in line with anyone else's. It doesn't even need to be in line with reality, which can be harsh. Convenient truths are what matter now.

People who think this way have infiltrated the fields of science, and so what knowledge even constitutes is being warped under our nose. Science is no longer the pursuit of truth, but of social and personal benefit. After all, what is a woman? That's where we are at, and to me that is terrifying.

EO Wilson made a point about how religion should be banished because he saw how that can radicalize people. Unfortunately for us, the religion of this age with real power aren't the ones of our parents, the ones that have been around for eons. It has manifested into another form, under another name, doing all the harm of religion's worst without much of its benefits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom