• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conspiracy Time: Student Driver bumper stickers are a sham

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Anybody seen these?

XCQ1l00.jpg

Back a few years ago, I'd see them and wouldn't bat an eye. But nowadays, they're every where (AT LEAST two-three in my area in Virginia) - and perhaps the majority of the time, it's not an actual youngin, but people at least in their 30s-40s.

I get it, there are older people who did get their license at a later age - but I'm seriously wondering if they're putting these on their cars in hopes that any mistake or poor driving can be easily excused with a, "Oh it's just a student driver, give them grace."

Another fellow believer:
https://dirtamericana.com/2021/03/student-driver-decals-fraud/

Anybody have the same experience or weird suspicions? Or:

EFJSWG9.jpg

kingfey

Banned
They aren't a sham.
There are dangerous adults driving cars. Some of those people could hurt these people, if they drive slowly infront of them.

You need to check YouTube and reddit, about road rages.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is crazy this topic is posted, since I was driving home from washing my car after the office yesterday, and I saw this young girl (probably late teens to early 20's) whipping out across 2 lanes. I knew she wasn't stopping in the center yellow turn/merge lane divider, and whips right across the other two where I had to slam on my brakes and swerve a little. She was driving super fast and erratic and there was nobody but her in the car. All through rush hour.

Betcha it was a fake one.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I teach 8th and 9th grade and many of my 9th graders are learning on permits. In Ohio, a permit can be had at 15 1/2 years of age. The thing in my community is that many of my students, learning to drive, share the car with their parents. I easily have 50 or more students right now who drive to school and then their parents drive the same car to work.
These parents are in their 30s and 40s driving with the sticker because it’s impractical for them to buy a car for their kid who’s on a permit for six months or more.

Cyberpunkd

I get it, there are older people who did get their license at a later age - but I'm seriously wondering if they're putting these on their cars in hopes that any mistake or poor driving can be easily excused with a, "Oh it's just a student driver, give them grace."
No, they are putting the sticker in hopes you will take the necessary precautions when driving close to them since they do not yet have the instincts of a mature driver.
How is that difficult to understand? This is especially important in the US where you can get driving licence super easily, so your young driver is like someone after first driving lesson in Europe.

Mistake

I teach 8th and 9th grade and many of my 9th graders are learning on permits. In Ohio, a permit can be had at 15 1/2 years of age. The thing in my community is that many of my students, learning to drive, share the car with their parents. I easily have 50 or more students right now who drive to school and then their parents drive the same car to work.
These parents are in their 30s and 40s driving with the sticker because it’s impractical for them to buy a car for their kid who’s on a permit for six months or more.
Sir, this is a conspiracy thread. It’s obviously aliens

v9yX9pl.jpg

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm sorry m'lord but most people don't have the money to buy their kids their own car. Especially nowadays when a 10 year old civic with 150,000 miles will set you back $10,000.
Probably this, but I didn’t realize new drivers go around with these? I always thought they were for actual student drivers in an instructor’s car? Like, doing a lesson. I had to have 6 hours behind the wheel with an instructor before I could get my license and that’s the only time I drove something with a big STUDENT DRIVER sign printed on it

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
I see them more often now too and the driver is usually a grown adult. Guessing it's either the car they let their kid drive or they're just an idiot. Never even understood the point of them.

I'm convinced people just use them as an excuse to drive like a clown.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
A lot of 30-something to 40-something adults put them on their cars because there are times when they are using their cars teach their teenaged kids to drive. It's not like they're going to remove it every time they finish a driving lesson.

Kagey K

Banned
A lot of 30-something to 40-something adults put them on their cars because there are times when they are using their cars teach their teenaged kids to drive. It's not like they're going to remove it every time they finish a driving lesson.
Perhaps that's sometimes where a magnet could be better. That way you could slap it on or remove it as necessary.

My daughter just got her learners permit and my son is going right away.

I hadn't considered that maybe I should have it on my vehicle while they are attempting to drive.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I can solve the OP’s mystery for him. People put the stickers on cars their kids learn to drive on while also driving the vehicle themselves.

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You have to learn to drive. People are not patient because you have a sticker, you just need to figure your driving style out and learn. Every other car is a potential issue on the road, drive defensively and it will be alright. Also don't pick up your phone while driving.

Ownage

Why do you need a sticker tho? To proclaim special status? Extra patience for your unique circumstances?

Peasant, know your place and get in the back of the line.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I feel like if someone is insecure enough about their driving competency that they are willing to tag their car with a sign that pretty much says "I am inept, please be careful", I don't see how that's how a problem.

one day it might be cool if your car could identify "high risk" vehicles around you that have gotten lots of tickets, duis, accidents, etc

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think once you figure out how to speed up and merge onto the interstate everything else is pretty straight forward. Driving in the US is pretty easy. If you want a real driving lesson drive in a 3rd world country where street signs and stop lights are merely suggestions.

traffic asia GIF

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I can solve the OP’s mystery for him. People put the stickers on cars their kids learn to drive on while also driving the vehicle themselves.

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office
Yeah, this.

I don't even know how this "scam" would work. The laws apply to everyone on the road, student or not.

Top Bottom