• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

contra shattered soldier

Tesseract

Banned
contra-shattered-soldier-8b8b3fd7-5c8e-4eb0-b906-1d855829e11-resize-750.jpeg

'Shattered Soldier returns to the classic game system employed by the series prior to Contra: Legacy of War. The game is played entirely in 2D from a side-view perspective, but with fully polygonal graphics, although some segments in which the player rides a snowboard or a motorcycle are viewed from a front or rear-view perspective. The controls and abilities are similar to the ones featured in Contra III: The Alien Wars. In addition to being able to keep the character's mobility still while aiming and shooting, the player can also keep their character's aim still while moving as well (a feature that was introduced in C: The Contra Adventure and retroactively ported over to the Game Boy Advance version of Alien Wars).

The major departure in Shattered Soldier is the omission of power-up items. Instead, the player is equipped with one of three permanent weapons that can be switched at any point. Each weapon has a standard automatic shot and an alternate charge shot for a total of six types of shots. The standard shots are: a rapid-fire automatic machine gun (Heavy Machine Gun), a flamethrower (Flame Whip) and a grenade launcher (Diver Mines). The charged versions of the same weapons are: the Round Sweeper, which launches out a "gun pod" that sprays bullets in multiple directions; the Energy Shot, a large gunshot which delivers great damage; and a barrage of Homing Missiles that traces the nearest target.

Like Contra: Hard Corps, Shattered Soldier has multiple endings. However, the ending received now depends on player performance, rather than the path taken during the course of a game. The game introduces a "hit rate" system which gauges the number of enemies destroyed as a form of performance metric. Every unique target in each stage, whether it be an actual enemy or an object in the area, that is destroyed increases this ratio. A high hit-ratio, along with the minimization of lives lost and continues used, is essential to receive the better endings, and consequently unlock the additional extra features. The player can replay previously completed stages to achieve better grades before proceeding to the fifth stage (after that point, the player must play through the remaining set of stages continuously).'

been playing this during the lock, holds up well

not much else to say, here's a bunch of media to fill the gap

36054.jpg

contra-shattered-soldier-gameplay-ps2.mp4.jpg

6583143409_5f1b2d506c_z.jpg

68d.gif

MixedLividAsianwaterbuffalo-size_restricted.gif

don't forget to play neo contra

361172-neo-contra-playstation-2-manual.jpg

LoathsomeGiddyEastsiberianlaika-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

protonion

Fantastic game. I have the disc somewhere.

That fish boss reveal still haunts me.

And although it feels brutal at first, when you figure out the patterns it is quite easy actually.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Played it last year. Didnt think it aged well and found it to be clunky. Akira Yamaoka worked as a composer if i remember correctly.

KOMANI

KOMANI
it's the closest we ever got to a hard corps sequel
Eh. I never thought that any of the 3D contras hold up to the 2D ones. I feel the same for Castlevania as well. You can see Nobuya Nakazato’s influence on Shattered Soldier, since its style fits in nicely with Alien Wars and Hard Corps, it’s just not as good. My opinion, obviously. I got a buddy who fucking loves Shattered Soldier. I’m happy it has its fans though.

Banned
Shattered Soldier is IMO the best Contra game in terms of gameplay... BUT I really don't like the artstyle.
in terms of art my favourite is still Super Probotector

4775795_orig.gif

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Eh. I never thought that any of the 3D contras hold up to the 2D ones. I feel the same for Castlevania as well. You can see Nobuya Nakazato’s influence on Shattered Soldier, since its style fits in nicely with Alien Wars and Hard Corps, it’s just not as good. My opinion, obviously. I got a buddy who fucking loves Shattered Soldier. I’m happy it has its fans though.

fully granted, neither contra nor castlevania transformed to 3d well

a wars or corps remaster would be nice

put that pachinko money to work, konami

KOMANI

KOMANI
fully granted, neither contra nor castlevania transformed to 3d well

a wars or corps remaster would be nice

put that pachinko money to work, konami
It was really an eye opener when Lamont of Innocence couldn’t hold a candle to Devil May Cry (which was released 2 years prior). People want to talk about the Fall of Konami happening around Kojima’s exit, but for me, it happened during the 6th generation of consoles. Other than Metal Gear and Silent Hill, there weren’t any AAA impressive games after that PS1 era.
As for remastering those 2 games, and SOTN (since I hear demands to remaster that one as well), I’m not sure what more can be done with those games (4k ?). And honestly, neither of those games need it. Alien Wars, Hard Corps, and especially SOTN, still feel amazing to play. We’re lucky to be able to play all on modern console(s). Still would prefer the OG SOTN than the PSP port, but whatever.

Tesseract

Banned
alien wars and hard corps are prolly untouchable, sotn could be improved upon in several ways

the slipshod difficulty has not aged well, fun game to speed run tho

(i'm always gonna be game for improved assets and systems)

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Tesseract Tesseract I take back what I said. Started playing with a dualshock 4 and control type C and... this game is pretty awesome. I like the aesthetic, I’m digging it way more with my current setup, and it’s a worthy successor to Alien Wars and Hard Corps, unlike Rogue Corps.
I will say that I now I understand why they went with the Twin Stick mechanic for some Contras (especially Rogue Corps). By turning it into a twin stick shooter, you remove the hassle of switching between locking your stance and locking in your shot trajectory.

Belmonte

One of my favorite Contras. The bosses patterns along with the rank system is genius. The way you can choose what level you want to play makes it the most replayable Contra IMO. You don't need to play all the stages to get into the one you are trying to master. Just choose the prick and start shooting.

The first time I realized you have all your weapons I thought it was an heresy. But this feature enable the devs to get really crazy with the enemy patterns. There wasn't the need to make every part of the stage/boss "machine gun-friendly" anymore.

I'm always torn between Contra Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier as my favorite. Such a great game.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
It’s too bad it didn’t make it in the recent contra collection, that was pretty disappointing.
Look at the bright side, if they do choose to make a second collection, it’ll be the first one on the list.
When the collections were first announced, the Castlevania one, specifically, said it was the first of many. Then that little tag line was never mentioned again. I’m curious to know what the sales were on the Contra and Castlevania collections. I’m sure both were good if they pushed Rogue Corps out the door to capitalize on it. I just hope the poor sales of RC don’t deter them from thinking of releasing more collections.

wondermega

Dusted it off a couple of years ago, while not bad it certainly isn't too friendly if you are a diehard fan of the 8bitters (ok grandpa!) I always was curious what would have happened if they had followed Capcom's lead and made some more in that style, how well it would go over. I realize they did follow up with some modern 16-bit style games. Man, I wish they'd re-release those Rebirth games on Steam..

Ohhhh a Shattered Soldier thread!!!

Freaking awesome game, what was especially cool was the transformation animation bosses had. Some of the animations themselves were absolutely nuts considering it was a PS2 game.

You could really tell the devs put a ton of effort into the game.

Top Bottom