• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONTROL | PS5 - Xbox Series X - PC | Performance vs Graphics Modes Comparison | Frame Rate Test

assurdum

Banned
Most disappointing is that the next generation consoles couldn't even run 1440p on all low settings, they had to create some new ultra low settings to hit 60 vanilla or 30 RT, where the RT only runs 1 effect (reflections) and is lower than pc low in every metrics (reflection resolution, # bounces, lod, etc).
Next generation console have to share the CUs with others graphic stuff because CUs need to do other things than just RT. That's not exactly surprising to see a GPU with dedicate core for RT easily destroy both console on perfomance without any graphic compromise.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Where exactly?
Asinine argument. Many people considered the raytracing on Spiderman limited because doesn't reflect the reflection but the reflected reflection I only seen on console were basically cubemap (the latest WD) so a bizzarre criticism. But if indeed Control do it, I retreat my defence.

assurdum

Banned
Omitted objects in the reflection and its only running at a quarter resolution. There is nothing about it better or even equal to the quality of Control's reflections.
There are omitted objects in Control raytracing too. All the destroyed pieces stuff is not reflected. And resolution is higher simply because the IQ it's 1440p but it's still a 1080p reconstructed to 1440p via CBR (as Spiderman) from what I have understood.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

There are omitted objects in Control too. All the destroyed pieces are not reflected. And resolution is higher just because it's 1440p but it's still a 1080p reconstructed to 1440p via CBR from what I have understood.
You bringing up the destroyed pieces like Spiderman has anywhere close to that kind of physics based environmental destruction. Spiderman is omitting static things in the world thats not even dynamic.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
You bringing up the destroyed pieces like Spiderman has anywhere close to that kind of physics based environmental destruction. Spiderman is omitting static things in the world thats not even dynamic.
What static things omitted Spiderman, forgive me? If you are talking of the LOD is very low too in the raytracing of Control.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Am I blind or is graphics mode just not worth losing the 2x framerate? To date I have never seen (or played) a game where I was visually blown away enough to lose the framerate advantage and feel of 60fps. I'm a console only gamer and now understand what the PC elitists have been saying for decades.
For me the RT is a big enough difference. I can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60, but I also stop noticing the framerate after a minute. It's not really a must have for me unless it's something like tekken, rocket league, or DMC.

If it we're just a resolution difference, I'd go for framerate, but RT is novel enough for me to want it over smoothness.

sunnysideup

Banned
raytraycing is a waste of time.

The main benefit is that is less labour intensive. But most of these games are highbudget games. They can bake that shit instead.

Loope

Because he likes to have a bit fun and we take too seriously such argument. Series X is always superior, chill bro and get the fun.
Speaking which I have noticed the exact contrary in the El analist video. In the final part there is a metal basket which doesn't reflect correctly the main character on series X or seems lower resolution compared the ps5/pc. Can someone get a comparison capture? I can't unfortunately. It's just a single spot but it's curious.
Same can be said about you, or worse, because you act like a petulant child asking "tough" questions and questioning people's ability to do such a tech analysis, i guess when PS5 is on top their ability doesn't matter. But go on, keep on acting like you're not a sony fanboy who gets butthurt at the single mention of small advantage to the other console. While you're on it maybe explain to the rest of the ignorants here how do you perceive a 1 to 2 fps difference.

I would love to know your tech background to act so smug and know it all, let me guess, it's beyond3d where you get your shit isn't, it certainly is for other tech expert on here, curiously they're all sony fanboys.

Umbral

I just tried this and while the RT is nice, there’s no way I can play a game at less than 60 if I don’t have to now.

I guess I’ll get to experience RT with PS6.

assurdum

Banned
Same can be said about you, or worse, because you act like a petulant child asking "tough" questions and questioning people's ability to do such a tech analysis, i guess when PS5 is on top their ability doesn't matter. But go on, keep on acting like you're not a sony fanboy who gets butthurt at the single mention of small advantage to the other console. While you're on it maybe explain to the rest of the ignorants here how do you perceive a 1 to 2 fps difference.

I would love to know your tech background to act so smug and know it all, let me guess, it's beyond3d where you get your shit isn't, it certainly is for other tech expert on here, curiously they're all sony fanboys.
I invite to you to find a single post in my post history where I'm claimed about the ps5 absolute superiority or I spitted out superior and better multiplat stuff without provide evidence. If my manner irritate to you it's more your problem than mine, you have just to ignore me, it's not that tough. But if I can say, it's not your business how I act and avoid to give me lesson of behaviour when you like to have your part in such console war discussions

Last edited:

Loope

I invite to you to find a single post where I'm talking of ps5 superiority or I claimed some port is superior without any evidence. Why are so irritate by the way?
Because you're constantly doing this, and i highly doubt it is only out of curiousity. You're always questioning everything that is perceived as an advantage for the other console ,which by the way, it's so small that it's not even important.

assurdum

Banned
Because you're constantly doing this, and i highly doubt it is only out of curiousity. You're always questioning everything that is perceived as an advantage for the other console ,which by the way, it's so small that it's not even important.
Why you care so much? I mean from the high of what you can judge the others attitude? I did a sarcastic post about a conversation with another user and you feel the paladin of who know what, when I can see tons of Sony fanboy chill out in your post history, but not with the other fanboy. Coincidence?

Last edited:
If you stop to examine it the RT in Control is much higher quality than Spider-Man but I would actually argue that the RT reflections do more for SM than they do for Control.

If the SSR artifacts don’t bother you in Control then it still looks great without RT reflections while the cube maps in SM look a bit shit and it is hugely enhanced by RT. Even if the RT implementation in SM is a bit basic you don’t really notice when you are swinging around.

I think bespoke RT has a chance of being good this gen but cut down PC RT like in Control is always going to have a huge compromise and in this case it’s 30fps.

Mister Wolf

I mean there are cutbacks too on Control. Obviously a free roam in an opened area with more pedestrians has more cutbacks than a game with scripted levels and few NPCs here and there.

Right so if it has more cutbacks then its of a lesser quality. This really shouldn't be a debate anymore. Control is even using checkerboard rendering(something you made a thread about) to make the reflections as sharp as possible.

sncvsrtoip

Control is for sure not a looker and rt is not worth halving fps, still nice upgrade on ps5 and good that physics is more advance in this title, we made regression in this department in ps4/xone era.

assurdum

Banned
Right so if it has more cutbacks then its of a lesser quality. This really shouldn't be a debate anymore. Control is even using checkerboard rendering(something you made a thread about) to make the reflections as sharp as possible.
"More". I can't know if they are more but doesn't means the raytracing is lesser quality. Is it Control lesser quality in the graphic because it's more scripted and less demanding to an open word? Obviously no. Why even take such conclusions.

Last edited:
Good on both consoles both have quick loading times both seem to look the same both same resolution. Thou theres probably more drops on series x. I say ps5 has a slight win on this due to less drops and particularly the part where its nearly half of storage size

Topher

Gold Member
Looks like another win for the PC...

If you want to play it at a civilized framerate with high graphical settings that is..

Pretty much. As far as the console versions it doesn't sound like there is differences of note. Couple of bugs, a few frames difference, but really a big tie.

Keith Urban Tie GIF by Academy of Country Music Awards

Why you care so much? I mean from the high of what you can judge the others attitude? Are you that impartial in such discussion to can accuse anyone of something? I can see tons of Sony fanboy chill out in your post history, seems you have engaged a personal war with the "Sony fanboy".
To be fair the Sony fanboy is the most common here.
"More". I can't know if they are more but doesn't means the raytracing is lesser quality. Is it Control lesser quality in the graphic because it's more scripted and less demanding to an open word? Obviously no. Why even take such conclusions.
It's lesser quality because it is haha. Low res, no upscale, plus a bunch of other things. It looks* great while you zipping around but it's lower quality. It's not subjective. It's objectively lower quality.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Kudos to Remedy for what they've done, but i'm not going to give up those 30fps for reflections that i won't be even looking at.

For me, the real game-changer is 60fps, which i missed a lot on ps4. At least it's something for which i don't need a 400% zoom or extensive technical knowledge to instantly recognize it.

assurdum

Banned
To be fair the Sony fanboy is the most common here.

It's lesser quality because it is haha. Low res, no upscale, plus a bunch of other things. It looks* great while you zipping around but it's lower quality. It's not subjective. It's objectively lower quality.
Don't think it's an user business how to treat with the Sony fanboy but it's enough for me. And what you say about the raytracing on Spiderman honestly is ridiculous, (no upscaler, lower resolution like wut) you take the Alex analysis as a tech paper but knowing him, I'm leaning to listen more the developers than him, with all respect. There are many other developers who said the exact contrary, cutbacks in raytracing are relative to the polycount handled, hardly Control handle more polies than Spiderman.

Last edited:

Gusy

Looks like another win for the PC...

If you want to play it at a civilized framerate with high graphical settings that is..

Sure, it would be a win if you show me a 399 PC that manages to run Control at an almost locked 60 at 1440p (With low settings) and that gets you similar / decent load times..

assurdum

Banned
Given the DF video title in Hitman.... their title for this one HAS to be...

PS5 takes Control

😃
Probably will be more like "A PS5 insignificant advantage in meaningless resolution" then they will release another Hitman 3 video in slow motion with the whole campaign, Series X side by side to the ps5, accusing Sony to spread the miopy with such weak hardware.

Last edited:

Spokker

Tried it on PS5. The frame rate appears to be unlocked in photo mode even in quality mode. It's not quite 60 fps but it feels like there's a lot of headroom here. It would be interesting to play the quality mode with an unlocked frame rate to see how it does.

Last edited:
Probably will be more like "A PS5 insignificant advantage in meaningless resolution" then they will release another Hitman 3 video in slow motion with the whole campaign, Series X side to side to the ps5, accusing Sony to spread the miopy with such hardware
I mean, the advantage is insignificant. It's actually non-existent if you have a VRR display.

Tried the RT mode but I can't go from 60 fps to 30 fps. It's just so sluggy in comparison.

Shame that the PS5 can't do both but that's that. Still I'm happy that I got smooth 60fps which I hoped that this generation will give me.

Last edited:

There is a whole video detailing the cutbacks.

Ah yes. A video from Alex focusing exclusively on all the negatives, how original. He really couldn't stand the fact that this game displays one of the most impressive use of RT. But many people that have played Control are saying the game actually looks worse with RT.

On the other hand most people that have played Spiderman with RT are saying this is the most impressive use of RT they have seen.

Mister Wolf

Ah yes. A video from Alex focusing exclusively on all the negatives, how original. He really couldn't stand the fact that this game displays one of the most impressive use of RT. But many people that have played Control are saying the game actually looks worse with RT.

On the other hand most people that have played Spiderman with RT are saying this is the most impressive use of RT they have seen.

Stop crying to me about Digital Foundry.

Umbral

Kudos to Remedy for what they've done, but i'm not going to give up those 30fps for reflections that i won't be even looking at.

For me, the real game-changer is 60fps, which i missed a lot on ps4. At least it's something for which i don't need a 400% zoom or extensive technical knowledge to instantly recognize it.
The RT is instantly noticeable, but I’m with you.

Performance mode or don’t bother.

assurdum

Banned

Speaking which, I barely found all the maniacal research of the drawbacks in the raytracing on Control as on Spiderman.The most accurate ever seen on console, he said. Yeah of course. Maybe in a closed environment with less polies they can push a more accurate raytracing? And maybe he should consider the different contest of both games before to call Spiderman raytracing more "compromised"? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Don't think it's an user business how to treat with the Sony fanboy but it's enough for me. And what you say about the raytracing on Spiderman honestly is ridiculous, (no upscaler, lower resolution like wut) you take the Alex analysis as a tech paper but knowing him, I'm leaning to listen more the developers than him, with all respect. There are many other developers who said the exact contrary, cutbacks in raytracing are relative to the polycount handled, hardly Control handle more polies than Spiderman.
You are not in any way arguing what you think you are. The RT in Spiderman is lesser then that in control. Reasons for it don't matter.

Holy shit Spiderman is in no way the most impressive rt. Like not even remotely close. Quite a silly thing to say honestly.

Top Bottom