• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control to get a multiplayer game/experience

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.remedygames.com/the-future-of-control-remedy-505-games/

Remedy Entertainment and 505 Games announced that they have signed an agreement to co-publish and develop a multiplayer spin-off game of Control. For more details, refer to our investor website.

Read on for a message on the future of Control, from Mikael Kasurinen, Game Director of the Control franchise.

Hi,

today Remedy Entertainment and 505 Games announced that we have signed a new game, codenamed Condor, which is a spin-off set to expand the world we kicked off with Control. I want to take a moment to talk about the world of Control and our plans a bit more.

First, I want to thank everyone who’s helped in making Control the success it is today, especially all the fans who love to step into the worlds we create. As a Game Director, it has been humbling to see the love and enthusiasm that the game instills, and I hope that during the time of COVID, Control has brought excitement and a hearty dose of strangeness into your lives.

Control is first and foremost a world, a place for multitudes of stories, events, and characters. A place where unexpected, strange, and extraordinary things occur. We kicked it off with Jesse’s entry into the Oldest House, but there is more to this world. Oh, so much more.

And Project Condor will be an expression of that.

I love multiplayer games. In the glorious 90s (yes, I’m a true 90s kid) me and three friends of mine hooked our PCs into a local network. We were about to have the first LAN of our lives. I was excited to try out multiplayer with a little shareware game called Doom. When we finally managed to get everything up and running, we fired up a co-op session and tackled E1M1 together. And it was a blast.

The familiar world felt so different when you entered it together with your friends. It changed everything.

In my professional career, I have focused almost solely on single-player experiences. Making the world revolve around one player allows an incomparable power fantasy, a total immersion of being somewhere else, anyone else.

But there is another side to games. A social, collective experience which you share with other people, your friends. And there’s something about that sharing that can elevate it into an experience that is impossible to achieve alone.

Yes, Remedy as a studio has made single-player experiences for over 25 years. But we are also avid fans of multiplayer games – I remember us having company-wide Battlefield 1942 sessions when we were working on Max Payne 2. We even got a small clan running. We were terrible, but it was the fun we had together that mattered. There are worlds and experiences that you can access collectively, with your friends, and they can shine as brightly as any single-player experience does.

We get that there is going to be skepticism about multiplayer. But I believe we can create shared experiences without compromising the unique DNA of who we are, or the stories we want to tell. Yes, we need to re-think our angles, our techniques, our mindset, but we see it as an exciting challenge: What would a Remedy multiplayer game look like?

The Vanguard team has done awesome progress on that front already, and the possibilities there are extremely exciting. Both games will be different examples of how you can collectively experience our worlds.

We are approaching this with a mix of excitement and respect. We want to create something that is engaging, yet familiar, something any of our fans can jump into and feel at home in. Together.

So predictable

Arkane makes an Xbox co op mp game : Snore who asked for this

Remedy makes a multiplatform co op mp game: Snore who asked for this so deflating

Insomniac makes an exclusive PS co op mp game: Omg let's fuckin gooooo I can't wait to see reflections and glossy cars driving down the street yeahhhhhhh Boi another W!

Last edited:

Flabagast

So predictable

Remedy makes a multiplatform co op mp game: Snore who asked for this so deflating

Insomniac makes an exclusive PS co op mp game: Omg let's fuckin gooooo I can't wait to see reflections and glossy cars driving down the street yeahhhhhhh Boi another W!
CDPR makes an ambitious narrative driven single player game : Burn this company to the ground and fire all its employees those fuckers !!

Ellery

Fuck.

We are screwed now entering a new age of way too many multiplayer games. Bethesda going for generic Redfall that looks like Fortnite, Naughty Dog working on a MP game and now Remedy.
And those won't be the only ones.
I get that the new age gamers are social gamers, but that also means that you won't have 200 well performing multiplayer games since not all of them can be attractive and only a few will succeed.

MiguelItUp

Is Control good or bad
So, I thought it was pretty good, but sadly it didn't grasp my interest long enough to complete it.

The gunplay is pretty good, and the environment interaction/physics are actually pretty cool as well.

But that's really about it for me. Everything else was pretty meh to me personally, but I'd still recommend giving it a whirl!
It's not bad. But it's pretty boring most of the time.
Yeah, I can agree with this.

I think it's sad that some people's reactions are "gross" or "this isn't necessary." While that may be true, it sounds like a passion of theirs that they've never dove into. So, I actually think it's pretty cool that they're going to give it a whirl, especially as a spin-off. Will it be good? I have no clue, but I guess we'll see!

Multiplayer games can be VERY awesome, unfortunately the past few years have just been filled with copycats and a lot of titles that don't really try to innovate or do anything super unique. So it all feels incredibly similar. But it doesn't need to be that way.

MrS

Banned
cover6.jpg

If ever a game needed more single player story and no multiplayer, it's Control. Nobody wants this.

Last edited:
So like Half-life 2 Deathmatch, Only instead of launching a bathroom sink and radiator into someone's face its a filing cabinet :D

Barakov

Gold Member
Eh.....No. I'd gladly reinstall it for more single player stuff. Stick to what you're good at Remedy.

HotPocket69

Banned
Just give us Alan Wake 2, Control 2 or hell even a port of Quantum Break.

What a colossal waste of time and resources. Have fun with the competition.

BabyYoda

Banned
It's not bad. But it's pretty boring most of the time.
Yeah, that's been my experience, got it free on Epic Store, for some reason I'm having to make myself keep playing it and I can go a day or two and then remember I own it. It's obviously a lower budget indie affair compared to Alan Wake say (that game I adore), looks nice I suppose and the physics are really impressive, but it's in the storytelling that it feels cheap. None of the characters are particularly interesting either, except maybe the janitor...I'll make myself finish it though, but that's kind of an indictment on it really!

Last edited:

Bridges

This could be amazing.

I want the levitate ability from Control in everything, a deathmatch with everyone flying around like that could be super fun. I'm definitely in.

Holammer

Everyone and their dogs are doing cheap to develop multiplayer GaaS titles now, even Sony's first party studios.
Wanting a slice of the Fortnite/Rocket League money.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So predictable

Wait.. WTF does Insomniac have to do with anything? lol

Is Control good or bad
Pretty bad imo. Story is similar to quantum break but a little more generic, gameplay/combat is pretty polished but repetitive. You just run around a bleak building/labyrinth the whole game picking up collectibles killing while enemies that respawn. IDK, nothing about the game stood out to me other than the graphics which were hard to look at for hours at a time since it was basically all the same.

The SP half of the team was tied up making CrossFire X so the MP half had to start doing something, amirite?

I loved Control and am looking forward to more.

Arsic

It's cool for once to see a thread where everyone has the same mindset about a game as myself. This rarely happens.

Yeah Control just was not my cup of tea. For all the reasons listed here.

A MP game from them is fine to do because every game I've played if theirs always falls short of being good and just is boring as hell. Maybe they will end up striking gold in a new space ?

To be fair though I didn't like Alan Wake either but I'd still be interested in a #2 if it ended up being their original vision before they scaled it all back. (Open world, actual horror, etc)

Kuranghi

*blows raspberry*

More SP please, make the mod system better, some of the DLCs made it so you could create actual builds that were OP, but they still required more skill to use or required rethinking how you approach enemies so it didnt break everything.

Top Bottom