• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controller Backwards Compatibility

Celcius

°Temp. member
One cool thing about Xbox is that you can use xbox series controllers on xbox one consoles and vice versa. Vibration, wireless, etc… all works seamlessly. This is actually very important long-term because as consoles age and become retro, authentic first party controllers can become harder to find, especially new or in excellent condition without issues. Many people think about backwards compatibility in terms of games support, but I don’t hear controller backwards compatibility being discussed often.

This week I’m revisiting my PlayStation 3 (upgrading the hdd to an ssd, buying a few new games, etc..) and fortunately both of my DualShock 3’s are still in great condition, but I’ve heard about how finding genuine DualShock 3’s, especially new, can be a challenge. I can’t help but think that if Sony supported controller backwards compatibility like Microsoft, you’d be able to use a DualShock 4 or dual sense controller effortlessly on PS3 supporting all the original dualshock 3 features like vibration, wireless connectivity (not as just a generic Bluetooth device), and having the PS3 see it as just another DualShock 3.

Would it be relatively as simple as Sony releasing a new PS3 firmware to support the newer controllers? Or do they use some new protocol for wireless communication that’s different than the DualShock 3? Do you think there’s any chance that Sony ever does this?

Skifi28

Weren't people saying the dualsense worked on PS3? Did that change? I haven't tried myself but it would be really cool. I've been really lucky with my ds3 but who knows when it decides to die.

Swift_Star

Banned
Weren't people saying the dualsense worked on PS3? Did that change? I haven't tried myself but it would be really cool. I've been really lucky with my ds3 but who knows when it decides to die.
It works because de ps3 detects it as a generic Bluetooth controller.

Swift_Star

Banned
One cool thing about Xbox is that you can use xbox series controllers on xbox one consoles and vice versa. Vibration, wireless, etc… all works seamlessly. This is actually very important long-term because as consoles age and become retro, authentic first party controllers can become harder to find, especially new or in excellent condition without issues. Many people think about backwards compatibility in terms of games support, but I don’t hear controller backwards compatibility being discussed often.

This week I’m revisiting my PlayStation 3 (upgrading the hdd to an ssd, buying a few new games, etc..) and fortunately both of my DualShock 3’s are still in great condition, but I’ve heard about how finding genuine DualShock 3’s, especially new, can be a challenge. I can’t help but think that if Sony supported controller backwards compatibility like Microsoft, you’d be able to use a DualShock 4 or dual sense controller effortlessly on PS3 supporting all the original dualshock 3 features like vibration, wireless connectivity (not as just a generic Bluetooth device), and having the PS3 see it as just another DualShock 3.

Would it be relatively as simple as Sony releasing a new PS3 firmware to support the newer controllers? Or do they use some new protocol for wireless communication that’s different than the DualShock 3? Do you think there’s any chance that Sony ever does this?
BC controller is good and all but it holds back technology. You see, they refrained to make any significant changes in the Xbox controller to make it all seamless compatible, whereas Sony wants developers to use the Dualsense features so their approach makes 100% sense. It sucks your DS4 can’t be used but the ps5 comes with a controller so I really don’t see it as a real problem.

sainraja

The Dualsense will work with the PS3. I can't recall 100% but I think the Dualshock 4 will work with the PS3 wired. I can test that in a few for you.

Swift_Star

Banned
Does it work work? I mean, can you play games properly or are we talking working in the menus?
You can play normally and it works in the menus. I think the PS button and vibration don’t work though. But you can 100% use the Dualsense on the ps3.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
The Dualsense will work with the PS3. I can't recall 100% but I think the Dualshock 4 will work with the PS3 wired. I can test that in a few for you.
Does vibration work with the DualSense on PS3 and pressing the PS button?

Last edited:

ill answer your question You can use the Dualsense or Ps4 controller on the ps3 however it has all the functionality of a dvd remote check the list of what games work for the DS4 its not big any game that requires Six Axis, Motion control, Pressure sensitive buttons ect. Those games will not work on either controller you cant play any MGS games with any new Sony controller. Older ps1,ps2 games dont work on either controller I have tried it on and off thorough the various updates it extremely hit or miss yea you can connect through bluetooth but it doesn't function any different the a dvd remote it not like on PC where you can connect any controller and for the most part use it however you want "Dark souls on DDR dancepad".

No virbration and you still need a ps3 controller hooked up because the home button on the Dualsense wont pick it up for the ps3 your best bet you be to be a conveter for your controller and use it that way.

sainraja

So both DS4 & Dualsense will work with the PS3 wirelessly BUT you can't access the in-game menu (for the DS4 anyway it depends on the game, some games won't work e.g. Burnout Paradise).

Would kinda defeat the point OP is making if you have to buy an external peripheral.
I thought he was also looking for a solution to the problem he is facing when it comes to finding something that will work in place of the DS3 (given they are not easy to find, the person you quoted pretty much solved it). It would have been great if the controllers were backwards compatible and saying that doesn't solve the problem he faces though. I mean, no shit it could be better lol. Unless this is one of those threads where the actual point is just to say how Xbox does it better....

Last edited:

sainraja

The DS4 works on the ps3 too. Any Bluetooth controller works on the ps3 I think.
So yes, it will connect and work but with some games it won't work. I was able to play some games with the DS4 but not Burnout Paradise for example. And you can't access the in-game menu so you can't exit out of games. Same applies to Dualsense.

For games I was able to test it with, yes but some games didn't work so.

It works wirelessly too.

Seems like a strange time to complain about PS4 controllers not working on PS3 (especially when they always have).

I had to check the date of the OP several times to make sure this wasn't a necro.

sainraja

It works wirelessly too.

Seems like a strange time to complain about PS4 controllers not working on PS3 (especially when they always have).

I had to check the date of the OP several times to make sure this wasn't a necro.
I just gave it a go on my PS3. The DS4/Dualsense will work with some games and not others. I think the solution mentioned by wvnative is the best option for those who don't have a controller to use with the PS3 anymore.

EDIT
My testing wasn't exhaustive so more games may work or less games may work lol. Who knows really. I don't know if anyone has actually done a full test for compatibility.

Last edited:
One drawback is that the triggers are recognized as buttons and not an axis. So if you're playing a racing game it'll make a difference. I was having a hard time with the taxi missions playing Yakuza 5 with a ds4 on ps3 when it came out.

Swift_Star

Banned
I just gave it a go on my PS3. The DS4/Dualsense will work with some games and not others. I think the solution mentioned by wvnative is the best option for those who don't have a controller to use with the PS3 anymore.

EDIT
My testing wasn't exhaustive so more games may work or less games may work lol. Who knows really. I don't know if anyone has actually done a full test for compatibility.
The only games that it doesn’t work are those that need the pressure sensitive buttons like MGS3.

Banned
It works wirelessly too.

not every game supports them and basically any feature outside of using the buttons and sticks does not work

and it's not about games that use Sixaxis or something. no. there are just some games that refuse to work with generic Direct Input controllers, which is what they will be detected as.

Banned
The only games that it doesn’t work are those that need the pressure sensitive buttons like MGS3.

that's not true. it's completely random which games work and which won't.

Yakuza 5 does not work and does not use any features of the DualShock 3 whatsoever, no Sixaxis, No pressure sensitive buttons, nothing.
Yakuza 4 apparently does work tho... so, yeah, random

edit: also WipEout HD works, and that uses pressure sensitive buttons

Last edited:

BigBooper

Not the 360 controller unfortunately. I kept a wired one around to use as a fourth controller for my Series X but it don't work I found out this week.

Top Bottom