• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial Non Gaming Opinions

This is a dumb post if I ever saw one. Maybe you're just joking, but obviously people should be allowed to be wherever the hell they want.
I'm in pretty good shape so I'm not coming at this from an "I'm offended" perspective.

Now, I will agree that obesity shouldn't be shamed -- but on the flip side, it shouldn't be celebrated, either. No, being obese is not healthy, and it certainly is not beautiful. (Although the latter point is debatable because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But it certainly isn't beautiful to me). Be realistic.

Regarding dating apps, I get hit up a lot by fat chicks when I'm on those apps, and all I do is either ignore them or write a polite "I'm not interested, good luck in your search" message to those that write to me. I do think that language should be more accurate and be more reflective of reality. No, chick, you're not "curvy" -- you're straight up obese. I immediately have much higher respect for chicks that label themselves "overweight" or "a few extra pounds" or whatever label exists that is more accurate than something like "curvy." Still won't go out with them though.
Thanks for your pathetic response. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
It was good until it went mainstream which completely misunderstood what it was about. Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation is still one of the best albums ever though.

That's noise rock tho, not "grunge" (which in itself is a made up genre more or less, it's just 90s punk rock).

Sweatpants are the most comfortable kinds of pants and if jeans sold with rips in them as some kind of fashion are socially acceptable, then sweatpants should be too.
velvetfog.jpg

Mossybrew

Climate change is not an existential crisis. Humans will adapt as they always have, certain geographical areas will become more difficult to live in, others more beneficial. Anyone who is legitimately scared of this is succumbing to media overhyping that thrives on crises for clicks and views.

Ionian

Climate change is not an existential crisis. Humans will adapt as they always have, certain geographical areas will become more difficult to live in, others more beneficial. Anyone who is legitimately scared of this is succumbing to media overhyping that thrives on crises for clicks and views.

Tell that to the mammoths and dinsosaurs.

It's well documented, it goes in cycles. The threat is real, will it happen? Is it already happening? Did most nations already agree on conditions yet some countries ignored the pact?

Bury your head in the sand, you'll probably have expired before it hits full-force anyway.

Marvel is trash. Every single movie.

Star Wars used to be good, now it's also trash. Everything Disney touches, it turns to trash.

I also have other controversial opinions but they lean into politics, so I won't say more.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If we are supposed to be upfreont in relatinships about any kind of sexual disease or STD etc, people should have to be upfront about their mental health conditions such as bipolar and schizophrenia.
This, so much.. but the issue here is that many people are mental cripples without proper diagnosis. Also I am bi-polar, but everyone knows this before first date.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think Dame Judi Dench is hot.

I know she's 86 years old, but I'd love to knock the dust off that growler between her legs.

Something about her that really gets me solid. Probably the eyes if I'm being honest.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Call it whatever you want, he is right. Discrimination is something all humans do. The only bullshit here is pretending your discrimination is better than other's
A lot of animals surely do it too.

That's why when you watch nature shows and a male or female is trying to find a mate they just dont 100% each other at first glance. One side sometimes has to do some crazy sounds or ritual or fancy feather shit to get attention because under normal conditions the other mate doesn't give a shit and thinks the other side is a loser until proven otherwise.

If I'm walking down the street by myself, call me discriminatory if you want but if I'm approaching a group of 4 shady guys walking towards me at night I'm getting a bit nervous. But if it's a group of 4 senior citizens, my fear disappears. At that time, there is no proof the 4 shady looking guys will do any more harm than 65 year olds, but human instinct naturally knows 4 thuggish looking guys who can beat me no problem is a bigger risk than 3 old people with canes and another in a wheelchair.

Last edited:

Punisher246

Neo Member
Call it whatever you want, he is right. Discrimination is something all humans do. The only bullshit here is pretending your discrimination is better than other's

My line of thinking is that racism is something that's taught, not something you intuit.

Kimahri

Banned
Thanos is the one of the worst, most poorly written bad guy in entertainment history. He's a stupid man written by stupid people unable to write a convincing eternal being.

He lives forever, yet wants to use infinity stones to erase half of all life? So in some millions of years everything will get back to where it was and he'll still be around to be upset by it all.

Great plan. Reducing fertility would be a far better plan.

Also, there were only two good movies in MCU. The first Irok Man and Avengers.

QSD

My line of thinking is that racism is something that's taught, not something you intuit.
this is definitely not true, people have innate preferences that can already be observed in babies (e.g. they prefer symmetrical, 'conventionally attractive' faces over others). Likewise all humans have an innate preference for things that are familiar (unfamiliar things/people could be dangerous) which is quite likely the origin for racism. Assuming that it is taught requires that a lot of people are actively working to uphold it. No doubt true for some, but mostly it's just a naturally occuring phenomenon that gets reinforced socially in some circles.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

Cabbage, Collard Greens, and Kale are the greatest vegetables to eat. Healthy and delicious to eat.

The Post Disco/Boogie/Synth Funk era of R&B is one of the most underappreciated eras in music. Alot of projects that did not get the praise or exposure would later be revived by Hip Hop. However, it sucks that it had to take a different genre of music to get people to appreciate it.

In terms of artistry and presence Ginuwine <------ Usher. Says a lot considering I fucks with Usher but Elgin got the soulful vibe that I fucks with.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
this is definitely not true, people have innate preferences that can already be observed in babies (e.g. they prefer symmetrical, 'conventionally attractive' faces over others). Likewise all humans have an innate preference for things that are familiar (unfamiliar things/people could be dangerous) which is quite likely the origin for racism. Assuming that it is taught requires that a lot of people are actively working to uphold it. No doubt true for some, but mostly it's just a naturally occuring phenomenon that gets reinforced socially in some circles.
Couldn't disagree with this more. Preferences are not racism, and most of those preferences(if they're even true, it isn't an exact science) likely come from the tribalistic past of humans and self-preservation of tribes and having to gravitate toward similar people.

But if you consider racism as hatred, dislike, and considering one inferior, that's a whole other thing. That's taught. And if you're a child who grows up in a multi-ethnic community or neighborhood, there is no evidence that any young child shows any innate hatred or dislike for someone based on skin color. That's garbage science the likes of Kendi and DiAngelo try to push.

QSD

Couldn't disagree with this more. Preferences are not racism, and most of those preferences(if they're even true, it isn't an exact science) likely come from the tribalistic past of humans and self-preservation of tribes and having to gravitate toward similar people.

But if you consider racism as hatred, dislike, and considering one inferior, that's a whole other thing. That's taught. And if you're a child who grows up in a multi-ethnic community or neighborhood, there is no evidence that any young child shows any innate hatred or dislike for someone based on skin color. That's garbage science the likes of Kendi and DiAngelo try to push.

This seems mostly like a semantic argument to me? I didn't say those preferences are racism, but I said that IMHO they lie at the origin of some forms of discrimination, like racism. Like you say, growing up in a multi-ethic society kind of inoculates you against that. But the primal tendency to shun or ridicule people who are strange or different from you is something that is innate, you in fact often have to teach children not to do it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This seems mostly like a semantic argument to me? I didn't say those preferences are racism, but I said that IMHO they lie at the origin of some forms of discrimination, like racism. Like you say, growing up in a multi-ethic society kind of inoculates you against that. But the primal tendency to shun or ridicule people who are strange or different from you is something that is innate, you in fact often have to teach children not to do it.
Well I think you have to be taught the hatred part of racism. You may gravitate more toward hanging out and befriending people of your likeness, that happens with sex too not just race. But you’re taught to have dislike for or hatred toward people of other ethnicities. I don’t believe you just naturally will dislike based on skin color because of innate tendencies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sometimes people (kids) just pick up on things they dont like even if nobody has ever taught them anything about it - good or bad.

Every kid growing up in elementary school has seen the zit face or freckle faced kid get picked on. I dont think the typical youngster is getting taught by parents that having spots on your face is an icky thing. But kids see that and naturally make fun and dont like it. While a kid with nice smooth skin doesn't get picked on.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
-Marvel films are trite.

-Lesbians aren't that hot.

-Pop music requires more talent than music snobs give it credit for.

-Niege isn't a racist despite unfortunate implications made by his time in Peste Noire. Yes, I threw that in there because of the Pop music comment above.

-I don't care which way the toilet paper roll goes.

-I miss d.final sometimes.

-anyone who understands the full meaning behind my username is cool, and totally not a weeb.

-Sunday is the first day of the week.

-Midsommar and all those weird art house abstract horror movies aren't provocative so much as obnoxious.

-Star Wars is completely fine to watch in chronological order.

Thanos is the one of the worst, most poorly written bad guy in entertainment history. He's a stupid man written by stupid people unable to write a convincing eternal being.

He lives forever, yet wants to use infinity stones to erase half of all life? So in some millions of years everything will get back to where it was and he'll still be around to be upset by it all.

Great plan. Reducing fertility would be a far better plan.

Also, there were only two good movies in MCU. The first Irok Man and Avengers.
What about Winter Soldier?

And AFAIK in the comics, Thanos wants to kill half of the universe to please death. Death is a female for some reason. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Either way, his motivations are stupid. But I still like Thanos as an antagonist.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Stand-up comedy is, by and large, pretty terrible. There are exceptions (Chappelle, Louis CK, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and a handful of others), but generally speaking, the whole medium of a person on stage delivering humor in this pre-written, jokey cadence is just the pits. There are quite a few standups with unbearable acts who are actually quite funny when speaking off the cuff during interviews/podcasts, or in well-written roles in TV or movies. I find Jim Norton to be hilarious, but I can't sit through his act for more than a few minutes. Bill Burr is a popular comedian and one of the funniest people on earth, but I had to turn off his last special about 10 minutes into it.

Jokes in a vacuum typically don't work for me - it just pales in comparison to comedy that is situational and occurs organically. Very few funny things are preceded by the statement (or implication) of someone saying "wanna hear a joke/something funny"?

Musicals also generally stink for a similar reason. In a theatrical format, there are better and less irritating ways to tell a story or get a message across than breaking out into song.

Last edited:

Ionian

Stand-up comedy is, by and large, pretty terrible. There are exceptions (Chappelle, Louis CK, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and a handful of others), but generally speaking, the whole medium of a person on stage delivering humor in this pre-written, jokey cadence is just the pits. There are quite a few standups with unbearable acts who are actually quite funny when speaking off the cuff during interviews/podcasts, or in well-writt-ups.en roles in TV or movies. I find Jim Norton to be hilarious, but I can't sit through his act for more than a few minutes. Bill Burr is a popular comedian and one of the funniest people on earth, but I had to turn off his last special about 10 minutes into it.

Jokes in a vacuum typically don't work for me - it just pales in comparison to comedy that is situational and occurs organically. Very few funny things are preceded by the statement (or implication) of someone saying "wanna hear a joke/something funny"?

Musicals also generally stink for a similar reason. In a theatrical format, there are better and less irritating ways to tell a story or get a message across than breaking out into song.

Dylan Moran and Eddie Izzard are brilliant standups.

Rocky Horror show and Grease are brilliant musicals. I even like (what was meant to be) the sequel to The Rocky Horror. It's just stupid dumb fun. Predated reality shows by decades.

Wow, never noticed that was Rik Mayall.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Price gouging is cool.
And in some cases, necessary.
Even for something like food or medicine.

Last edited:
Not everyone deserves to have a child. Some people should not pass on thier genes because they will fuck up thier kids in the head with thier shitty parenting/abuse. Too much mental illness in this world thanks to broken abusive and neglectful families.

Top Bottom