• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
was posting this one somewhere else after I dug this up. figure this should be share

200.gif

Raven117

Anyone have a good homemade ranch and tartar sauce recipe?
Honestly, I wouldn't overthink either of these two condiments.

(Plus, making Ranch is kinda gross...though it does taste good).

Just making it from a HIdden Valley packet using good mayo (like Dukes), will get you across the goal line. Id probably start tinkering from there to taste.

Tartar Sauce. Again, that's a simple condiment that I wouldn't go too far off course on.

dcll

Banned
Honestly, I wouldn't overthink either of these two condiments.

(Plus, making Ranch is kinda gross...though it does taste good).

Just making it from a HIdden Valley packet using good mayo (like Dukes), will get you across the goal line. Id probably start tinkering from there to taste.

Tartar Sauce. Again, that's a simple condiment that I wouldn't go too far off course on.
Well I ask about tartar sauce because I have only had cheap sauce in the bottle from a grocery store and then I tried some from a little beach side town in California at a small sea food place and it was incredible

Raven117

Well I ask about tartar sauce because I have only had cheap sauce in the bottle from a grocery store and then I tried some from a little beach side town in California at a small sea food place and it was incredible
Ah! For sure, yes. Night and day different.

This was first up on google, but is about as traditional as it comes.

Raven117

Also,
Anybody into fermentation? Giving it a go has been fun. Its like a little science project you can eat.

Made some sourkraut which turned out great. Also, working on a fermented chili pepper hot sauce situation.

Additionally, Im trying to nail a homemade cholula recipe (or close to it). I'm getting close!

But yeah, that stuff (preserves, fermentation) is fun to mess with.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Also,
Anybody into fermentation? Giving it a go has been fun. Its like a little science project you can eat.

Made some sourkraut which turned out great. Also, working on a fermented chili pepper hot sauce situation.

Additionally, Im trying to nail a homemade cholula recipe (or close to it). I'm getting close!

But yeah, that stuff (preserves, fermentation) is fun to mess with.
My wife wants to. She makes her own wine already but kraut & kimchi are on her list.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You put meat and other animal products on a vegan burger? I don't know whether it would be good or bad, but I find the concept so strange I have to ask why. Doesn't that kind of defeat the point of an impossible burger?

I'm just reducing the amount of meat I consume, particularly beef, not cutting out meat entirely.

Also it was really good.

I'm just reducing the amount of meat I consume, particularly beef, not cutting out meat entirely.

Also it was really good.

Okay, I just had to ask. I thought there was a chance that you thought an impossible burger was a cow that had a few cycles of steroids or something.

Last edited:
Cast Iron Salmon…half a stick of butter and 4 minutes skin side down + 2 minutes skin side up is all you need on medium high…fuck BBQing this is perfect!

That BBQ fish looks very tasty indeed mate.

Some recent dishes saved on my phone, the shanks just fell apart coming out of the slow cooker and I forgot to take a photo when plated as a meal.

San choy bow
djIGMiL.jpg

Homemade rustic meatballs, good quality mince so didn't overcook them
HoTQp7Z.jpg

Lamb shanks in the slow cooker
7UnoVGi.jpg

Them falling off the bone before being plated
l37o34z.jpg

Had some left over chuck steak mince from my butcher so made spag bowl out of it.
buuMHm4.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I got an air fryer. Any cool things I can make

I'd practice with fries first, since each air fryer varies in heat and intensity. Blanch them joints first. Once you figure out how to cook the perfect fry, it will give you an idea of how much heat and duration is needed for other stuff. At least that was my experience.

Personally, I found it's good for making very quick crispy bacon - especially when it's thick sliced from the deli / butcher. It also can finish off pork belly rapidly after you put a flash sear on it in a hot pan.

Toots

Gold Member
It tendies time today 🧑‍🍳
37vXJCL.jpg

ny9TtBa.jpg

You cut out the weird stuff
HSTzB36.jpg

5n8dDo7.jpg

egg + honey + salt + pepper + any spice you want

fa2bP1B.jpg

floor + salt + pepper

SDyw1Fj.jpg

Crush those flakes

xkICNhh.jpg

You should end up with something like this
And it's all downhill from there (as in easy not shitty)

JL3Gqgt.jpg
MBa6YW9.jpg
kcloDlA.jpg

gDaLeek.jpg

vEXWzFp.jpg

VvSn7kJ.jpg
gjWvV2C.jpg

Having preheated your oven at 180°C, you put those bad boys in for 35/40 minutes (just check them from time to time)
You can pass time as you wish i just did that 40 times :

Chef Toots tip : Doesn't matter how bad you play, it won't ruin the dish

D5Nz1Ur.jpg

Don't forget to turn them up
for what? For each side to cook silly...

kf0SB6Q.jpg

When its done, you dispose.
I made a nice firefly with sauce clouds and a ketchup sun but you can do whatever

trw8fLQ.jpg

It's tenderiffic ! 🤓

I know its easy peasy, don't worry next time i'll up my game so much you'll cream your pants (with béchamel)

Bon appétit!

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
It tendies time today 🧑‍🍳
37vXJCL.jpg

ny9TtBa.jpg

You cut out the weird stuff
HSTzB36.jpg

5n8dDo7.jpg

egg + honey + salt + pepper + any spice you want

fa2bP1B.jpg

floor + salt + pepper

SDyw1Fj.jpg

Crush those flakes

xkICNhh.jpg

You should end up with something like this
And it's all downhill from there (as in easy not shitty)

JL3Gqgt.jpg
MBa6YW9.jpg
kcloDlA.jpg

gDaLeek.jpg

vEXWzFp.jpg

VvSn7kJ.jpg
gjWvV2C.jpg

Having preheated your oven at 180°C, you put those bad boys in for 35/40 minutes (just check them from time to time)
You can pass time as you wish i just did that 40 times :

Chef Toots tip : Doesn't matter how bad you play, it won't ruin the dish

D5Nz1Ur.jpg

Don't forget to turn them up
for what? For each side to cook silly...

kf0SB6Q.jpg

When its done, you dispose.
I made a nice firefly with sauce clouds and a ketchup sun but you can do whatever

trw8fLQ.jpg

It's tenderiffic ! 🤓

I know its easy peasy, don't worry next time i'll up my game so much you'll cream your pants (with béchamel)

Bon appétit!

wow, that was epic. Thanks for sharing. (y)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It was my cheat day today, so spent my whole day cooking.

Breakfast was eggs Benedict

Then, onto a traditional English, Sunday Roast (Topside beef, roast potatoes, steamed veg, Yorkshire puds and homemade gravy)

Then I made a forest fruit crumble pie (my own recipe), just because my wife is a huge fan.

Finally, this evening we had a light dinner of peach and blue cheese salad.

A bliss day of cooking

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I showed you my teddies pls respond
Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage

Nice Tendies, I haven't tried that with cornflakes before. Solid post mate, good to see the steps, even if some are familiar. You get that little peek at something new, flake for extra crunch. Do they change the flavour much?
What the what?
Those were my tendies !
The cornflakes make it extra crispier but be careful not to overcook, else you get a not so pleasant burned corn taste.

Toots

Gold Member
Lol, my bad. Good tip too.
Cheers!
You made me realize that that goddam dink Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage was likely trying to mock me by implying that i was some basement dweller wanting aknowledgement and only knew how to make tendies...
Little does he know i'm french and 35 which means i can cook, eat, fuck, and smoke better than him... and i do it far more often too :p

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Cheers!
You made me realize that that goddam dink Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage was likely trying to mock me by implying that i was some basement dweller wanting aknowledgement and only knew how to make tendies...
Little does he know i'm french and 35 which means i can cook, eat, fuck, and smoke better than him... and i do it far more often too :p
You're awfully hostile over a joke that had nothing to with you. Though, I suspect any moment you'll emerge with a white flag in hand as the French are known to do.

Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage Toots Toots

Keep it lightheated mates, that's a great exchange right there. Hilarious. Also there is a French bakery not too far from our house and now I want a real croissant.

Wife made some quick spinach and 3 cheese pasta (bought pasta) but with her insanely good cream sauce. I had to stop myself from eating too much, so filling. Son and daughter had seconds, pretty good for dressed up premade pasta. We're yet to find a better premade pasta packet TBH.

DOd9aPQ.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Quick lunch of sliced shitake mushrooms pan cooked in olive oil and salt & pepper, chicken breast done the same then diced, tossed into instant ramen that was mushroom and chicken flavor, pinch of red chili flakes. Ready for a nap.

JEk6FwN.jpg

GymWolf

Gimme your best advice to cook this

ob_d31019_img-20190502-191955.jpg

on this

91YLhse8vjL._AC_SS450_.jpg

from seasoning to butter\oil usage to anything you can think of, remember that i'm kinda lazy and shitty in the kitchen so no complicated stuff.

Some days ago i tried butter instead of oil for the first time and i didn't noticed much difference in taste or smell (unlike when i eat this stuff in good meat specialized restaurants).

The pic of the meat is not very clear but i wanted to be specific, it's scottona from lidl, this is what it usually looks like this
ARROSTO-DI-COSTATA-scottona-068.jpg

I know people love to make steaks in a pan, but like i said, i'm lazy and shitty when it comes to cooking :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

How bad am i if instead of salt and pepper i do a seasoning with salt and chive (i don't know if it is the right work, i mean the onion flavoured spice) because i really don't use pepper in anything else and i like onions?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom