• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

Let the steak come to room temperature first (like an hour out of the fridge), then preheat the grill until near smoking hot. I usually do a quick spray of canola oil and season meat with salt/pepper before putting the meat on the heat. Rub garlic butter or olive oil on the steak as you cook it and turn it. Rest it before eating (about half the cook time). Also poor the resting juices back over your steak before eating. Enjoy! Simple and classic. Look up cooking times for how you like your steak/cut/thickness you have etc.

EDIT: Pretty quick and decent vid to follow -

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Please keep your hands on the table, mr.haxan. :messenger_winking:

75989794-black-guy-resting-his-hands-on-the-table.jpg

GymWolf

Let the steak come to room temperature first (like an hour out of the fridge), then preheat the grill until near smoking hot. I usually do a quick spray of canola oil and season meat with salt/pepper before putting the meat on the heat. Rub garlic butter or olive oil on the steak as you cook it and turn it. Rest it before eating (about half the cook time). Also poor the resting juices back over your steak before eating. Enjoy! Simple and classic. Look up cooking times for how you like your steak/cut/thickness you have etc.

I already do all of this.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well, what can I say, I'm a sad man.

At least I don't need help cooking a steak =P

🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well, what can I say, I'm a sad man.

At least I don't need help cooking a steak =P

🔥🔥🔥
I already cook delicious steaks, i was just trying to improve the details 🕺

If we present my steak and your plate to a group of people, this is what would happen:

(I'm the mustache guy in that example)

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It looks good, but it could use a shinier presentation.

Fast food companies do this all the time in advertisements.

Haha, I'm well aware it's looks like a hot (literally and figuratively) mess, pleasing the aesthetic thirst of my fellow cooking gaffers wasn't really on my mind when I made the picture.

And in regards to those advertisements, there's presentation and there's blatant lying...

Well at least i spotted a sausage in that cow food mix :lollipop_squinting:

It's pork 🐷
But what if that's vegan sausage??

tenor.gif

Hey! I've made some awesome chickpea burgers with goat cheese in the past! =P
You think it's a beyond meat sausage?! Well that would be beyond sad...

As sad as that Baby's First Grill you got there? <3

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I already cook delicious stakes, i was just trying to improve the details 🕺

If we present my stake and your plate to a group of people, this is what would happen:

(I'm the mustache guy in that example)

I know bro, just messing with ya 😁

And holy cow (get it!?!) at that video! I didn't even see your post before mine; awesome coincidence! To be fair, I'm of both persuasions, nothing like a simple burger =)

GymWolf

Haha, I'm well aware it's looks like a hot (literally and figuratively) mess, pleasing the aesthetic thirst of my fellow cooking gaffers wasn't really on my mind when I made the picture.

And in regards to those advertisements, there's presentation and there's blatant lying...

It's pork 🐷

Hey! I've made some awesome chickpea burgers with goat cheese in the past! =P

As sad as that Baby's First Grill you got there? <3
With cow mix i was talking about your plate, it looks like what a cow would eat.

That was just a stock image from google, the actual grill is bigger and thicker, women loves it🕺

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That looks great to me. What's the recipe for the curry?

Thanks!

Well it's more or less my own creation seeing as I like to experiment so let me think...

Big ass Cauliflower
2 Bell peppers
Peas
Carrots
Garlic
Shallot
Coriander and some Mint
Curry Madras spices
Spicy peppers (whichever you prefer)

I slight boil the vegetables and when done I do everything in a pan with coconut milk and that's it. Very simple.

Oh you can always throw some fresh ginger at it

Raven117

Gold Member

Maybe I'm just too snobby nowadays, but Jamie Oliver's videos are really aiming for the lowest common denominator.

That's not even the best way to cook a flat iron steak. Hell, he isn't even using a cast iron pan.

catvonpee

Not gonna lie, that potato looks great mate.
It's just five slices of microwaved bacon, about a quarter cup of sour cream french onion dip, a quarter stick of butter, and the innards of two microwaved potatoes scooped out, and then top with coarse salt and then under the broiler about 8 minutes until browned on top.

Edit: forgot grated cheddar cheese, about a quarter cup.

I tried using a pastry bag and tip but the bacon was minced too large to fit through so I just scooped it in with my fingers and a spoon.

Last edited:

lachesis

First time putting mine up...

A couple of weeks ago, I came across this recipe from Foodist Ryuji's Buzz Recipe channel - making Mabo Curry from Tales RPG series to celebrate the release of Tales of Arise, also him boasting that it's one of his most confident recipe and all. That piqued my interest.
qRM1iCa.png

I've never really played Tales series (I started Symphonia in SFC, but never really got into far - and also started out Vesperia, but haven't played anything over first 30 min. I am mildly interested in the Arise though) - but I did hear about mixture of Mapo Tofu and Curry in a few different occasions - including one from Anime "Food Wars".

Authentic Cheng Du style is one of my all-time favorites - that whenever I visit any so-called Sichuan cuisine in U.S., I sample Mapo Tofu and Dan Dan noodle. If I like their Mapo Tofu and Dan Dan noodle - that place become my go-to place, if I don't feel like making some my own.

So today being alone in the house, raining outside due to Henri, did most of the chores done & then some - I decided to cook something simple for the week & lunch that I'd need to bring to work next week.

Here's actual recipe that I followed - but basically doubled the amount. Pretty simple but since my own pixian toubanjang was exceptionally salty that regular Lee Kum Kee brand, I used little less... and also added more water to match the curry roux recommendation. (The recipe recommends 250cc, so double the amount was 500cc... but came out too thick, so I added about 150cc more - which was actually the recommended amount from that specific Japanese curry roux.)

9uuUDkZ.jpg

So here's how it came out.

I can't honestly say that it's something that I would make regularly though. I always wondered what it would taste like - and since I know now, I would just stick to making authentic Mapo Tofu and Japanese Curry as is.

The issue with is that it was a bit too sweet. The flavor from Ten men jang (Sweet black bean sauce) was too pronounced. I know that Iron Chef Chen Kennich also uses ten men jang along with Tou ban jang in when he makes his style of Mapo Tofu - I always wondered, but I think I would just stick to one without. The recipe didn't also include the fermented black bean, and most importantly sichuan peppercorn that gives the specific numbing sensation... I didn't add the black bean, as I was afraid that it would make the whole thing too salty (It was already pretty salty) - but I did add bunch of sichuan peppercorn on top after sample taste.

Not to say this wasn't bad at all - but I really like that fiery, almost raw heat and umami of the authentic mapo tofu. Japanese curry is another thing, that I like it - but I think of it as more of mild, comfort food. The mixture, was somewhere in between, achieved neither. Still, it was good and ended up devoured more than I should have... :)

Last edited:

lachesis

You've gone way too hard with them here. Best to use the fresh green ones if you can find them or even powdered ones. I find putting those dried cracked ones on a dish just means you're crunching the shells a lot.
I know - I actually like those crunchy bits. Sometimes I actually eat them after roasting just a bit, w/o even gridng. Kinda weird habbit of mine.
I do have powdered one - but it just doesn't seem to have that same numbing potency.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have some Boar's Head beef bratwurst. What's the best way to cook them? Charcoal grill is out of the question because it's thunderstorming for the next three hours. I have an indoor electric one though.

I have some Boar's Head beef bratwurst. What's the best way to cook them? Charcoal grill is out of the question because it's thunderstorming for the next three hours. I have an indoor electric one though.
Skillet/griddle and finish in oven?

I have one of these and it goes great to get that skin going and then bam straight in the oven if you want to finish off that way. You can just finish them in the pan but just lower the heat and turn often so the middle cooks nice.

4409_1.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AFRfa3r.jpg

Grilled some thighs and finished them in the smoker when we had some friends over this afternoon.
That chicken looks good dude. I'd plow through one of those plates myself for dinner. And then the other plate during the late hockey game at 10 pm!

I had to google Boars Head brats and they are white. When I buy sausages of any make, they are typically orange or brownish in colour. Any difference in white sausages? It freaks me out like it's not real meat.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Skillet/griddle and finish in oven?

I have one of these and it goes great to get that skin going and then bam straight in the oven if you want to finish off that way. You can just finish them in the pan but just lower the heat and turn often so the middle cooks nice.

4409_1.jpg

Good idea - I too have one of these, so I'm going that route.

That chicken looks good dude. I'd plow through one of those plates myself for dinner. And then the other plate during the late hockey game at 10 pm!

I had to google Boars Head brats and they are white. When I buy sausages of any make, they are typically orange or brownish in colour. Any difference in white sausages? It freaks me out like it's not real meat.

Sorry I was wrong, they're knockwurst. But bratwurst will be white if it's a combination of pork and veal. like the Boar's Head. If it's brown, probably beef.

catvonpee

I will share my famous macaroni and cheese recipe with you. Everyone who's ever had it say that's it's the best they ever had.

- 1lb elbow macaroni (I use the Barilla spiral tubular thingies)

-1 whole stick of real salted butter

- about a cup and one half of milk ( I use the red container Fairlife lactose free because it is rich and creamy) you can also use half and half, I am also guessing at the measurements- so more or less maybe necessary. I just eyeball it.

-about 3/4 of a 32oz log of Velveeta (half is too little for a 1lb of pasta and the whole thing is too much)

-1 pound of cheddar cheese grated, save two handfuls to use as a topping

-1 cup of grated parmesan cheese

-1 small onion finely chopped

-1 large celery stalk (slice into three strips, then mince finely into like 2mm slices)

- (optional) two large 12 oz cans of tuna

Boil about two to three quarts of water, bring to a rolling boil, you can add a tablespoon of salt to the water

While the water is heating up, chop up the onion and celery and sauté in the stick of butter about five minutes. It's okay if the butter get slightly browned, just a little, them add your milk and Velveeta, don't use too much milk because you can't subtract any, but can add more if the sauce is too thick later...

Once the Velveeta is disolved add all but two large handfuls of the cheddar cheese, (we'll use that as a topping later.)

Mix until everything is disolved on low heat. Then turn off the heat source. It will thicken slightly as it stands. It should be pretty thick.

By now the pasts should be done, it takes about nine minutes to be perfect. Don't overdo it. But undercooked pasta sucks so keep trying it until it is perfect. I run a piece under cold water and eat it.

Preheat oven to 350° F

Then mix everything together in a big oven-proof pan. You can mix in your tuna if you choose to use it... And then top with the rest of the cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese. You can sauté two cups of seasoned Italian bread crumbs in another stick of butter and use as a topping with the other cheese if you're feeling adventurous. I didn't feel like it today.

Edit: forgot to write please get tuna in water and make sure you drain it thoroughly...

Bake about twenty five minutes uncovered until the edges are bubbling, the put the broiler on HI or 500° and bake another couple of minutes until the edges are browned. It is important to keep watching during the broiler stage because at this temperature it can burn very easily.

Let stand about ten minutes so nobody will burn their mouths on the hot cheese sauce... I season with course kosher salt to taste.
20210831-170022.jpg

20210831-165900.jpg

Last edited:
I will share my famous macaroni and cheese recipe with you. Everyone who's ever had it say that's it's the best they ever had.

Good write up mate. My kids have just gotten into mac'n'cheese, my wife thinks she can make but having never lived in the states like I have she fails hard (according to the kids). She goes this healthy route and that ain't what M&C is about for the most part. I'll give it a run on the weekend and see how the family goes with it. Cheers.

BigBooper

Good write up mate. My kids have just gotten into mac'n'cheese, my wife thinks she can make but having never lived in the states like I have she fails hard (according to the kids). She goes this healthy route and that ain't what M&C is about for the most part. I'll give it a run on the weekend and see how the family goes with it. Cheers.
Scoff... healthy mac n cheese. lol

I hate when people do that. If you invite me over for dinner for some burgers and end up serving me some black bean burgers or something, I'm going to silently judge you so hard.

Raven117

Gold Member
It’s one thing to try and get a “healthy” Mac and cheese for family during the week. It’s quite another to try that nonsense on a weekend for friends and family on a cookout or something.

Liljagare

Another wild mushroom lasagne (chantereles, fall chantereles, thornies, and coliflower chanterele in it).

LhlkNUw.jpg

Cant get much better than this. And, its nice to know that a single slice at a restaurant would run in the hundreds.. :p

Last edited:

lachesis

5aRS1QB.jpg

Dinner a couple nights ago. Homemade Kara-age (Japanese fried chicken) with Miso soup with two types of miso (red & white type) with scallion, tofu & seaweed, cilantro-lime salad dressing & beer.

Sometimes I get that craving for Kara-age & beer. It's either that or Yakitori & beer that I can't resist.
Yakitori requires a good charcoal fire & various parts.. so since I'm mostly alone, I can't justify making it for myself only. :( (nor I have a charcoal burner)
Kara-age - It's easy enough to make, but frying actually is one of my worst nightmare because of all that oil it uses & taking care of it afterwards.

How do you dispose frying oil? I've been filtering it as best as I can up to 3 times, but after that - I use bunch of newspaper & let it absorb, and put it into smaller trash bag & dispose... but not really sure if it's a good way to do so.
I've seen some people just dump it on sink drain, which.. can't be good for the drain & environment... no?

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
5aRS1QB.jpg

Dinner a couple nights ago. Homemade Kara-age (Japanese fried chicken) with Miso soup with two types of miso (red & white type) with scallion, tofu & seaweed, cilantro-lime salad dressing & beer.

Sometimes I get that craving for Kara-age & beer. It's either that or Yakitori & beer that I can't resist.
Yakitori requires a good charcoal fire & various parts.. so since I'm mostly alone, I can't justify making it for myself only. :( (nor I have a charcoal burner)
Kara-age - It's easy enough to make, but frying actually is one of my worst nightmare because of all that oil it uses & taking care of it afterwards.

How do you dispose frying oil? I've been filtering it as best as I can up to 3 times, but after that - I use bunch of newspaper & let it absorb, and put it into smaller trash bag & dispose... but not really sure if it's a good way to do so.
I've seen some people just dump it on sink drain, which.. can't be good for the drain & environment... no?
Keep the bottle the oil came in and when it's cooled down pour it in there with a funnel and throw it in the trash.

Top Bottom