• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
What do you guys think about my plate of rice, steamed broccoli, bacon, with a steamed tomato. Be brutally honesty

NCf1hG9.jpg

Sounds yummy and healthy. Only could use some seasoning. Salt and pepper, or perhaps just some soy sauce in the rice.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I missed out on Taco Tuesday yesterday (on some bullshit)

Today, I'm making up for it.

img_20210708_082722382260e70e4483.jpg

A little sirloin that didn't want to be a breakfast steak, is now a four pack of fast, easy tacos. Some handmade Pico, black beans and an extra squeeze of lime. Polish it all off with an ice cold Cerveza Pacífico.

Bit of a phone dump of recent meals, take em when ya remember em. Some plated, some mid cook etc.

Chicken thigh curry the misses made -
czqn65A.jpg

Frittata -
L5KAx4P.jpg

Cheesy cauliflower bake -
Wa2pRpK.jpg

Roast lamb, glazed carrots, roast onion, roast garlic and a new thing the misses is trying with the roast spuds - you add a layer of oil to a tray and preheat the oven with that tray/oil in there then add the parboiled potatoes when the temp is reached, she also shook some semolina in the drained parboiled tators and roughed them up. Super crispy but fluffy on the inside. Soooo good!

DrlwtIT.jpg

Homemade apple and rhubarb crumble with some store bought custard -
oSfEFix.jpg

Kinda forgot to take a photo of the XMAS ham, so here's a hacked up one. To quote Homer...it's still good -
cO7j7Vn.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I can't find Goya brand chorizo anywhere. Haven't for about a year. My only option is to order it at exuberant prices on Amazon. I like it because it's already cooked, dried, and packed with flavor. Just one half of a link cubed is enough for a huge pot of rice or a stew / chili. Any alternatives anyone is aware of? I can head down to the local Hispanic butcher and get some fresh, but it's just not the same.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have a respiratory viral infection post covid so I did what moms recommend. I made chicken noodle soup from my homemade chicken stock. Over all it was very good and I plan to have the leftovers for the next few days while I continue my recovery.

Onions + celery + garlic + chicken + egg noodles + chicken broth + seasonings = yum.
ekUg6dS.jpg

Last edited:
I have a respiratory viral infection post covid so I did what moms recommend. I made chicken noodle soup from my homemade chicken stock. Over all it was very good and I plan to have the leftovers for the next few days while I continue my recovery.

Onions + celery + garlic + chicken + egg noodles + chicken broth + seasonings = yum.

Chicken soup cures all. Looks great and feel better mate.

Enjoyed some oysters as a lazy dinner to watch the Aussie open tennis. So tasty. Spring onion, worcestershire, bacon, cheese and grill. Nothing crazy but besides Mornay what we do for our family version.

QeZjXzE.png

MrMephistoX

Best part is, easy to prepare and easy to clean up.

Yup meatballs and marinara is easy but carbonara makes you look like you know how to cook but it’s just as easy as boiling spaghetti and mixing with marinara just maybe 10 % more effort to beat some eggs and Romana and Parmesan together + pancetta or bacon if you can’t find it.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

gnsjopD.jpg

McClure’s hot and sweet Pickle juice marinated chicken prepared in a honey mustard egg wash with crushed southwest flavored Dot’s pretzels
Jesus H., that looks retardedly good. Never thought to use pickle juice as a marinate, but truly, it makes perfect sense.

Jesus H., that looks retardedly good. Never thought to use pickle juice as a marinate, but truly, it makes perfect sense.
It was so good, I highly recommend it. I've used pickle juice quite a few times with different pickle brands. Last night was the first time I nailed the frying process. Tonight I'm making my own fettuccine style sauce with capers.

It usually comes out like this:
3BPEd0T.jpg

For the sauce, I fry up some onions and garlic, toss in a half stick of butter, whisk in heavy cream, salt and pepper medley with Italian seasoning, whisk in a little flour, throw in some capers and there it is. I also season up the garlic bread really good. McCormick's Peppercorn Medley is divine.

I've got drool on my keyboard. Your dish needs a beer to wash that down with.
Right Brain Cakewalk or Right Brain Blue Magic would pair great with the sweet flavor or the honey mustard. Either that or Rochester Mills Orange Whip IPA or if you're looking for a more bitter beer Old Nation M-43.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty hard to fuck up oven roasted chicken. I use dark meat as I'm not a fan of white. Assuming your pan is decent size you should be able to roast an entire tray of chicken from the store (8-12 pieces). So just buy a pack of 12 drums or 8 thighs and make it all. Eat some and save the rest for tomorrow.

Defrosted chicken

Add this:

- Salt and pepper
- Some of this (I have a shaker that's 50/50 mix of lemongrass and basil)

Then soak it in this sauce mix for a few hours
- Cut small slits into chicken so sauce can soak in. Dont cut too big. Make sure some sauce gets under the skin
- Korean BBQ or Teriyaki sauce. If you do teriyaki, make sure it's thick kind, not the watery kind. You want this sauce to be most of the mix
- Hoisin sauce (not too much)
- Soy sauce (not too much)

Before cooking add this:
- Chili flakes (as hot as you wanna make it). I've used Walmart and Kirkland. I actually like the Walmart one better as the flakes are smaller
- Clubhouse chicken spice powder/flakes

Cooking
- Line a roasting pan or tray with parchment paper (so it doesnt stick). Sometimes I use two sheets as there's times it breaks through some reason. Never use foil for this as things can stick (although I've never used non-stick foil I've seen)
- Make sure the pan/tray you have is deep enough so when it's done cooking, it has room for all the oily sauce. If not, you're fucked as the oil will overflow into your oven or you got to take it out and drain it during cooking
- It's important to NOT cook it on a rack/grid. You want to cook it so it's all wet and soaking up in it's own oily juices. This oily shit goes great on potatoes or rice
- If you cook it on a rack, the chicken dries up and the sauce underneath sucks
- About 1 hr at 400F degrees
- If you got thighs, cook it skin down for half hour
- Rotate pieces and flip thighs skin up at the mid way point until it's done. This is important so it's done cooking with the skin up so it can crisp up
- If you got no rice or potatoes, but eating bread or buns instead. About 5 mins before it's done, toss those babies right on top of the chicken to toast up

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
No gas in my building today as they are replacing the main gas inlet. So it's going to be a rice cooker lunch, I'm glad I put in the practice last year. Otherwise it would be instant noodles.

I've been taking pics of the things I make to help the kids (and the wife) pick their favorites.

Tacos
Chili Lime Crema, Plain Greek Yogurt, Lime and Butter Corn, Pineapple, Red Onion, Red Pepper, Ground Turkey with Costco Taco Seasoning and Rib Rack Fajita Marinade later I added Smoked Cheddar.
jWu6dr1.jpg

Chicken Greek Pita with Homemade Tzatziki Sauce and Lemon Pepper Rice with Pasley and Black Bean Hummus.
uPZFAyl.jpg

Chicken Picatta
qsKqC5W.jpg

Charcuterie Board 1
N0GPH4U.jpg

Charcuterie Board 2
tlnPqng.jpg

MrMephistoX

MrMephistoX

I swear I’ll stop sometime for another month but for now I’m having fun cooking daily it’s actually relaxing. Chinese egg and tomatoes and pork strips witn bell peppers…@Nush I don’t know if I’m getting older but I’m finding added salt is over powering when using so many types of Jiang you, hao you, Lao Chou, Wei Ji Xiang.
7gHjtld.jpg

nush

Gold Member
I swear I’ll stop sometime for another month but for now I’m having fun cooking daily it’s actually relaxing. Chinese egg and tomatoes and pork strips witn bell peppers…@Nush I don’t know if I’m getting older but I’m finding added salt is over powering when using so many types of Jiang you, hao you, Lao Chou, Wei Ji Xiang.
7gHjtld.jpg

I don't need to add salt when I'm using the sauces.

Good sir, did you perchance take a piccy of the steak sliced open so that we may see the lustrous insides.
Fellow gentleman, I did not. To be frank, I couldn't put my fork and knife down. I suppose this just means I'll have to make it again , however, In the mean-time just imagine the pinkest and juiciest of steaks in all the land. To get an idea, the potatoes on the left appear to share the hue of pink of said steak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom