• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

Cl7RIXjWEAAb4mh.jpg

LMAO

Chile played amazing though, their defense and counterattacks were on point. Great match.

Ostinatto

BICAMPEÓN DE AMERICA CONCHESUMADRE !!!!!!

VIVA CHILE

VIVAN ESTOS JUGADORES CHILENOS

GRACIAS POR ESTA FELICIDAD INMENSA

2 FINALES GANADAS A ARGENTINA, CON MESSI EN CANCHA.

NO PUEDO PEDIR MAS

GRACIAS CHILENOS

VIVA LA VIDA, GRACIAS A LA VIDA

MAS CHILENO QUE NUNCA

!!!

Oh. Yet another person underrating Iniesta ;( he's been every bit of good and important as Messi for Barcelona.

And btw what im saying goes for Ronaldo as well. Im of the opinion that Spanish super teams have skewed things too muc this past decade. They're certainly historically great players but I don't think they're that much better than for example Zidane or Brazil Ronaldo individually, but look better smashing la liga. Likewise I don't think Suarez now is better than what he was in Liverpool but looks better by virtue of being in Barcelona.

Andres is great, but given the issues with Spain since 2014, it's fair to ask just how good he is really.

Good enough to run the midfield for a treble winning team, but maybe not good enough to overcome his team's deficiencies.

Compare that to how Messi played at the last World Cup where he essentially was the link up man and the deep lying play maker as one player, the difference is pretty clear.

trembli0s

Yeah confederations are in charge of organizing their tournaments. The only thing the confeds really have to do is decide who they send to play in the FIFA-organized World Cup every 4 years.

I'm sure after the huge success of Centenario that CONMEBOL and CONCACAF will seriously consider holding the Copa Panamerica every 4 years from this point forward. They're leaving ungodly sums of money on the table otherwise and we all know international football/soccer is powered by the money engine.

They still need to get someone to have domestic English broadcast rights for the regular Copa America though, I tried to watch it on Telemundo once and cannot into Espanol made it an impossible quest for me.

Yeah, the money on the table must be massive. The staggering and format of the tournaments honestly worked out perfectly too. You get Euros in the morning and Copa in the afternoon. It's been fantastic.

I imagine you could work out a rotation of CONCACAF/CONMEBOL per tournament as well. So one year in the US, next time around in Brazil/Argentina, etc., next year in Mexico.

Think it's a great format and an incredibly enjoyable product.

trembli0s

So if this new Copa does become a thing, it will be always played in the USA?

Nah, I'd imagine it would rotate. But in all seriousness, the rotation for CONCACAF would be USA and then Mexico because they're the only countries with the necessary infrastructure to run the tournament in CONCACAF.

CONMEBOL would be capable of rotating the tournament between all their members like they normally do it.

Pranay

Oh. Yet another person underrating Iniesta ;( he's been every bit of good and important as Messi for Barcelona.

And btw what im saying goes for Ronaldo as well. Im of the opinion that Spanish super teams have skewed things too muc this past decade. They're certainly historically great players but I don't think they're that much better than for example Zidane or Brazil Ronaldo individually, but look better smashing la liga. Likewise I don't think Suarez now is better than what he was in Liverpool but looks better by virtue of being in Barcelona.

Last 3 season for iniesta have been average, ever since xavi has gone and iniesta has declined, messi has been scoreing goals and has being the best play maker for Barca

Altazor

Assuming Wikipedia is accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Copa_América
Attendance 655,902 (25,227 per match)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América_Centenario
Attendance 1,483,855 (46,370 per match)

They would be fools not to play the Copa Panamerica every 4 years from now on, even if the Gold Cup and Copa America continue to be played to determine who gets World Cup berths out of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL.

just a small thing to consider: the stadia here in Chile are all smaller than every stadia that featured in the Copa Centenario. Thus it's clear attendance is also smaller.

In any case, I still think a CONCACAF+CONMEBOL tournament is a good idea.

Oh well, I'm still happy as fuck :D :D :D

Assuming Wikipedia is accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Copa_América
Attendance 655,902 (25,227 per match)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América_Centenario
Attendance 1,483,855 (46,370 per match)

They would be fools not to play the Copa Panamerica every 4 years from now on, even if the Gold Cup and Copa America continue to be played to determine who gets World Cup berths out of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL.
What makes this rotation worse is CONCACAF's boneheaded move of keeping the Gold Cup being played every two years. They'd have to go to one every four if this is to continue. Or better yet. Disappear it and merge it with this Copa America and give two a confederations tickets, one for each top CONCACAF and CONMEBOL team of the tournament.

denx

If anything, I'd say losing yet another final was worth it for the memes alone.

13537746_522679047925103_7816487654559935933_n.jpg

/dead

But seriously, if Higuain had scored that clear chance he had in the first half after Medel's mistake we would probably be looking at a very different match.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would laugh...but im going to be hammered with similar Ronaldo pictures eventually this Euro so :/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
@canchallena

"Se terminó para mí la selección. No es para mí, son cuatro finales. Es una decisión tomada, creo que sí". Messi.

welp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom