• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Masherano quits
Di Maria quits
Lavezzi quits going to China
Kun quits

Argentinagate. Sore losers

If you watched Messi's interview, being a sore loser has nothing to do with it. He's completely devastated and emotionally drained. He gave everything he had in four title matches, and Argentina lost them all. He said he gave it everything and it just wasn't enough. Later in the interview, he said four losses in a row means it's time for a change.

As someone who lived in Argentina for 12 years and witnessed the "polemicas" and media treatment, I understand perfectly why he feels done. He's the best player in the world, and he gets consistent grief from his countrymen. When he genuinely makes a mistake like tonight's penalty, he gets crucified. When Higuain misses wide open goals every final, Messi gets crucified. If you don't win everything, you're trash.

Meanwhile, in Barcelona, he'll be a legend forever. His family is taken care of, he's surrounded by talented players and a great support system, and he's a clutch winner. Also, Barcelona pays his salary.

Calvero

Banned
If you watched Messi's interview, being a sore loser has nothing to do with it. He's completely devastated and emotionally drained. He gave everything he had in four title matches, and Argentina lost them all. He said he gave it everything and it just wasn't enough. Later in the interview, he said four losses in a row means it's time for a change.

As someone who lived in Argentina for 12 years and witnessed the "polemicas" and media treatment, I understand perfectly why he feels done. He's the best player in the world, and he gets consistent grief from his countrymen. When he genuinely makes a mistake like tonight's penalty, he gets crucified. When Higuain misses wide open goals every final, Messi gets crucified. If you don't win everything, you're trash.

Meanwhile, in Barcelona, he'll be a legend forever. His family is taken care of, he's surrounded by talented players and a great support system, and he's a clutch winner. Also, Barcelona pays his salary.

Truth.

Ostinatto

C42.jpg

Paracelsus

Messi needs to reconsider, if anything it's time to get rid of Hiwhoain and Awhoero and let Icardi and Dybala in. Poor finishing is what costed Croatia, and Poland isn't out only because they had kindergarten match-ups so far.

Clydefrog

The whole Messi thing aside, this has been a fantastic Copa. Congrats to Chile on a wonderful tournament. Thanks to all the other countries who participated. This Copa had surprises, shocks and a whole lot of emotion. I'm not a fan of the tournament being held in the USA every time, but at least the football on display was wonderful. Cheers!

/plays the wrong anthem

edit: is Salsa still banned?

Black_Red

Hopefully Vargas can get a good team, he has been the top goal scorer on the last 2 copas Americas and he does have talent, he just need a team that plays similar to Chile :(

It's still arguable. They lost 2-1 in their last match and they beat Argentina only in penalties.

That said, with Argentina's poor performance Chile definitely deserved the Cup.

Martino should be sacked.

Higuain should never start for Argentina again.

Biglia should never do penalties again.

Messi fucked up but he's done enough for the team that he gets one.

I disagree about the bolded part. Both teams are pretty even, including the fuck ups, for example, the one made by Gary Medel that Higuaín failed to convert in goal, but give credit to Bravo too, who pushed Pipa to shoot early than expected.

Chile again winning by just waiting, Argentina selfdestroys.

This is nonsense, Chile never parks the bus.

In my opinion the domination was:

First half: Argentina
Second half: Chile
Extra time: Even, except for the last 5 minutes, where Argentina pushed us back to our field.

I'll give Chile credit they're a resilient team with multiple world-class players and great team play. They slayed the Spain witch and beat Messi in 2 finals. Messi was broken like a teenage girl on the sidelines. Those are amazing feats that validate Chile's class.

:) :) :)

Some of my final words on this tournament...

I'm more happy for Chile's performance than the trophy itself, we started being super mediocre (by our own standards) and in fact Chile was playing bad for several months, so the turnaourd was truly fantastic. We went back to be the same cohesive, aggresive, fast team that won the last Copa América (arguably, the performance was better this time).

The future looks brilliant again, and while for the next WC several of these players will be a bit past their peak, I think it's maybe the last chance to do something more memorable in a WC.

We'll see, first we need to win the right to go to Russia and the Southamerican WC qualy is hard as hell.

Time to go back to my old avatar :)

EDIT:

The whole Messi thing aside, this has been a fantastic Copa. Congrats to Chile on a wonderful tournament. Thanks to all the other countries who participated. This Copa had surprises, shocks and a whole lot of emotion. I'm not a fan of the tournament being held in the USA every time, but at least the football on display was wonderful. Cheers!

/plays the wrong anthem

edit: is Salsa still banned?

Yeah, this Copa had a lot more of drama, tension and "oh my god" moments. I think it would be great if both Conmebol and Concacaf teams plays a unique tournament, but not in USA (or any other country) forever.

Regarding Salsa, a mod said his ban will expire in a couple of weeks. It's not perma :)

pariah164

So, after forgetting to comment all day...

- US lost. Foregone conclusion. Congrats to Columbia.

- The finale goes to penalty kicks.

- Messi MISSES lmao

- That ref was amazing.

- Congrats to Chile!

Seeing how Messi was absolutely broken after missing that penalty kick, I don't think anyone can claim he doesn't care about playing for his country.

Messi is only 29 years old with no major injuries. He's too young to retire from international play. He's got at least another WC cycle in him. Right now just his grief is speaking.

Anyway like others said, it was a great tournament overall. I'd say about 90% of the games were very watchable. Compare that to the Euros where only about 20% of the games have been interesting for neutrals. I think CONMEBOL and CONCACAF compliment each other well stylistically, so most matches are interesting.

They should make the Copa Pan-America every 4 years. Maybe an automatic WC qualification could be given to the winner, though that might be too steep of a reward and screw up the regularly qualifying. Maybe give another Confederation slot to the winner.

I really hope Messi reconsiders his decision, he is too awesome to quit.

Besides that, can you imagine what his sponsors are thinking right now?

I can bet whatever you want they'll pull all the strings available to make him come back to the national team. There is too much money involved.

Maxinas

I really hope Messi reconsiders his decision, he is too awesome to quit.

Besides that, can you imagine what his sponsors are thinking right now?

I can bet whatever you want they'll pull all the strings available to make him come back to the national team. There is too much money involved.

I believe he's just in the moment right now. Anyone who has to go through the amount of criticism and hate Messi has gone through would probably do the same thing. He just needs some time off.

He is the hero Argentina needs, but not the one it deserves right now.

Nephtis

Seeing how Messi was absolutely broken after missing that penalty kick, I don't think anyone can claim he doesn't care about playing for his country.

Everyone props him up and makes him out to be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, everyone put their hopes on him to have Argentina win the cup, and he fucks it up when it matters most.

Rather than caring about his country, his pride in himself was just crushed. Right now he either thinks that everyone around him are low-level fools that cost him the cup, or he thinks that losing the cup was entirely his fault because he's Messi and he should've won it.

Probably, but will it be on TV? ESPN never cared enough to televise Copa America even when they held the rights. Copa America 2015 wasn't on US television with the exception of Telemundo.
Really? Did ESPN ever held the rights and just decided not to use them? Did they at least resell them instead of paying for them and sitting on them doing nothing!?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just saw the highlights. Messi being a cheating cunt is business as usual for Barca players. It's nice that karma came back to hit him hard.

Well done, Chile!

clemenx

Banned
Unless it really is in protest of the AFA this decision is indefensible at this age and stage of his career.

He's still playing at prime level, he still has world class players alongside him. What a stupid, stupid decision. Losing and having a broken heart should not be part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom