• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemenx

Banned
There's a very real posibility of both Brazil and Argentina not qualifying out of CONMEBOL for 2018. Would be way too funny.

I think Brazil not going through is a long shot but if everyone really retires from Argentina they're in real danger.

Ostinatto

wearepvyki.png

8AA.jpg

Eyeh4wk

I missed the game, and watched a record of the match just now. I'm amazed how the argentine forwards always manage to fade into obscurity as the match progresses.
By the end, El Jefecito is the only one that remains strong and spares Argentina of a yet greater embarrassment.

Kaji AF16

Sad morning here in Buenos Aires, the capital city of a country that lives and breathes fútbol. At this point, as even a casual spectator could tell, Argentina´s losing streak in finals seems to be mostly related to psychological factors. This is Chile´s strongest national team ever, but in theory Argentina should still be a notch or two above them.

Locally, this defeat has revived the ever-present Maradona vs. Messi debate. For comparison´s sake, it is similar to the one surrounding Jordan vs. Lebron: a legendary hero who won against insurmountable odds versus the one who possibly is the most physically gifted player in the sport´s history, but has choked in key moments. LeBron strengthened his position last week; Messi probably won´t be able to do that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He can't help it if the team around him keeps failing in the Finals.

I'm with Tragicomedy here.

Agreed. It takes more than one good player to win a championship, it takes an entire team. Messi can drag them to a final, but he can't win it alone.

how is colombia 3? LOL they shouldnt even be top 10

The same way England's above France and Portugal's in the top 10. FIFA rankings are bullshit.

wheeplash

One thing that bothers me is how the Chilean team were running at full speed at the 120 minutes mark. You could tell Argentina was completely wasted as soon as the 90 minutes ended.

I haven't missed any top-tier football competition from the last couple of years. I've seen every possible combination of 120m-lenght games, and it's the very FIRST time a team ran like this after so long AND after such intensive offense/defense strategy (the one they Chile uses). Hell, most of these players are here just after ending massive European leagues and tournaments, of course they're fucking wasted.

Not even the best teams of the world at the Champions League finals could hold as long as this team. And Chile is not fucking Ecuador, they don't play at 4000m neither do they have the same genes. If anything, they share more genes with us Peruvians than with the northest part of South America.

I'm convinced there is something else going on here. I'm honestly perplexed that nobody that I know irl noticed just how ridiculously Chile performed yesterday. There is a limit to what the human body can do naturally, just ask most Olympic competitors.

One thing that bothers me is how the Chilean team were running at full speed at the 120 minutes mark. You could tell Argentina was completely wasted as soon as the 90 minutes ended.

I haven't missed any top-tier football competition from the last couple of years. I've seen every possible combination of 120m-lenght games, and it's the very FIRST time a team ran like this after so long AND after such intensive offense/defense strategy (the one they Chile uses). Hell, most of these players are here just after ending massive European leagues and tournaments, of course they're fucking wasted.

Not even the best teams of the world at the Champions League finals could hold as long as this team. And Chile is not fucking Ecuador, they don't play at 4000m neither do they have the same genes. If anything, they share more genes with us Peruvians than with the northest part of South America.

I'm convinced there is something else going on here. I'm honestly perplexed that nobody that I know irl noticed just how ridiculously Chile performed yesterday. There is a limit to what the human body can do naturally, just ask most Olympiccompetitors.

I have always mentioned to people that Alexis Sanchez might be taking PED because he's like a damn machine running non-stop.

But yesterday I realized that the entire team is really damn good. I had no idea

wheeplash

I have always mentioned to people that Alexis Sanchez might be taking PED because he's like a damn machine running non-stop.

But yesterday I realized that the entire team is really damn good. I had no idea

They're great football players, but that doesn't mean they aren't human.

If you saw Portugal vs Croatia you would have noticed just how ridiculously the entire Chilean team performed against Argentina. Ronaldo IS a fucking machine, but not even he can handle it.

Calvero

Banned
^LOL we get it, you don't like Messi and love Maradona

Man, I feel like Mascherano is underrated. He feels like the soul of the Argentinian team.

Wormcito

Neo Member
That's why Maradona>Messi. Maradona produces when needed and doesn't choke. he won 1 of 2 Argentina's WC.
Maradona missed a penalty in the 1/16 of 1990 world cup vs Yugoslavia and didnt make any goal in the 2 finals he'd played.

Luckily for us, both are argentinians and top 5 of all time best players in my opinion

Maradona missed a penalty in the 1/16 of 1990 world cup vs Yugoslavia and didnt make any goal in the 2 finals he'd played.

Luckily for us, both are argentinians and top 5 of all time best players in my opinion

He still won a WC for Argentina. Argentina only have 2 WC to their name. And 1 because of Maradona. He dominated 1986 WC. Messi is usually average at best international level. He doesn't have the field dominance like Maradona or pele had IMO. Heck even Ronaldo(brazil) dominated the field in late 90s and early 2000s. He also won a cup for brazil. Same with Zidane who won the WC for France in 98. Messi is not even in the same league with these guys IMO. Ofcourse I am a little bit butthurt as an Argentina fan. So maybe i am exaggerating. But Marandon>Messi to me. And i have yet to be proven wrong IMO.

I'm convinced there is something else going on here. I'm honestly perplexed that nobody that I know irl noticed just how ridiculously Chile performed yesterday. There is a limit to what the human body can do naturally, just ask most Olympiccompetitors.

That's called huge balls. Something that your National Team lost back in 1978.

First, the team is really damn good because they have spent years training like that with the national team, it didn't happen over a week.

Anyways, this is the first time I read someone (not you, but the other guy that quoted your post) suggesting our players take drugs to perform like that, not even after the most heated games, our rivals said something like that.

Regarding Alexis, he always has performed like that, ALWAYS. He started his career here in Chile in the team I'm fan of, Cobreloa.

Just a couple of days before this final against Argentina, during a football TV show, Nelson Acosta, Cobreloa's coach at the time when Alexis arrived at 16 years old or something, told an anecdote about Sánchez.

He said the first day during the training, he asked Alexis to shoot directly to the goal.

Just after the first ball that went too high over the goal, he began to run to bring the ball back, Acosta stopped him and said "what are you doing? stay here, other guy will bring the ball".

Alexis replied with a big smile and said "no no, I like to do it" and he just went running at full speed like a squirrel, recovered the ball and continued shooting. He continued doing the same during the whole training, hahahaha.

Basically, when it comes to speed and stamina, he is just a natural freak.

wheeplash

That's called huge balls. Something that your National Team lost back in 1978.

Did we? I'm fucking proud of my team, with its limitations and all.

We are not a bunch of entitled, cheating, diving queens.

I nominate Vidal for Oscars by the way, what an astounding performance after Rojo's entrance.

Did we? I'm fucking proud of my team, with its limitations and all.

We are not a bunch of entitled, cheating, diving queens.

I nominate Vidal for Oscars by the way, what an astounding performance after Rojo's entrance.

Sure thing. Just like the "legal" goal scored against Brazil?
And wash your mouth before you speak anything about the best midfielder in the world.

It's fine you are proud about your team, but stop being so salty. Chilean players aren't taking any illegal drugs as you, in the most ignorant way, suggested.

Wormcito

Neo Member
He still won a WC for Argentina. Argentina only have 2 WC to their name. And 1 because of Maradona. He dominated 1986 WC. Messi is usually average at best international level. He doesn't have the field dominance like Maradona or pele had IMO. Heck even Ronaldo(brazil) dominated the field in late 90s and early 2000s. He also won a cup for brazil. Same with Zidane who won the WC for France in 98. Messi is not even in the same league with these guys IMO. Ofcourse I am a little bit butthurt as an Argentina fan. So maybe i am exaggerating. But Marandon>Messi to me. And i have yet to be proven wrong IMO.

He didn't have players like Brown, Valdano o Burruchaga in the finals. Thats the only difference between Maradona and Messi. Besides that they are two diferent people.

This article shows why he was the best player in the world cup.

https://www.chaino.com/pulse/lionel-messi-completely-deserved-to-win-the-golden-ball-because

Cache

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...t-the-world-cup+&cd=1&hl=es-419&ct=clnk&gl=ar

The original is missing

Messi-pass-v-Belgium.gif

In adition, Sabella take all the players that can make something good in attack. Messi was alone with 50-60 mts to the goal with only Higuain and ocassionaly Enzo Perez. All the others where defending sorrounding Mascherano.
The gif shows my point. (Di Maria injured there)

If only count when you win a cup I prefer to watch something else...

maty

I'm argentinian as well and everyone is free to think what they like and saying that Maradona > Messi is not that crazy. Though I've never seen anyone do the things that Messi does at the speed he does.

I believe that measuring greatness with trophies won is wrong, specially WC which is the hardest cup to win. Cruyff is in the top 5 best players of all time and never won anything with Netherland.

I'm 31 years old and I never saw Maradona in his prime but just highlights which of course make him look better than what he was which was already extremely good. Some years ago I watched the 86 final and Maradona did not have the most amazing final (and had Burruchaga missed that last chance then we would not be talking about him the way we do. We might remember his great performance during the cup but that would be it. Just like people talk about Ronaldo's during WC98

It's been 23 years soon to be 25 since we last won a trophy and that is not Messi's fault, but unfortunately is the weight he has or had to carry. Yesterday was probably Messi's best performance in a final with Argentina but he had no support in offense. The team just gave him the ball midfield so he would dribble past 5 guys and score. What kind of tactic is that? And then people ask for him not only that but to run back and defend. I just can not think how that would be even possible.

Chile has a project which started with Bielsa and has evolved since then while also having some of the best players in their history. Germany did the same after losing to Brasil in WC2002.

We have gone from one coach to another with totally different styles and here we are, empty-handed. I could go on forever but I'm not going to change anybody's mind. I'm really sad and I wanted Argentina to win no only because it's my team but because of Messi.

With how things are going with AFA I can't expect much. FIFA might even ban us from international competition.

I do think our squad needs several changes, even though some are good players, their mind is a mess. And if we got to another final the result would not change. I'd leave the defense as it is right now but change Rojo for his inability to read the final when you have everything to win. Then I would try to convince Messi to come back but after making a team does not need him to win but is enhanced when he is on the pitch. The rest can go, you could keep banega but that's it.

wheeplash

Sure thing. Just like the "legal" goal scored against Brazil?
And wash your mouth before you speak anything about the best midfielder in the world.

It's fine you are proud about your team, but stop being so salty. Chilean players aren't taking any illegal drugs as you, in the most ignorant way, suggested.

Even our scorer admitted he touched the ball with his hand. It's none of our business what referees do with their calls. I don't recall seeing your federation or team admitting they fucking cheated their way into the last Copa América finals.

And holy shit are you delusional. VIDAL the best midfielder in the world? He's not even the best in Europe. I'm not washing my mouth for some dirty fucker that knows how to play football.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'm not into backmodding, but Wheeplash and MrChocolate, you guys need to tone the discussion down a lot, before this thread gets locked.

Chile is the rightful winner of both cups, and Peru had been playing amazing lately, they have a frightening attack. And yes, Vidal is one of the best players in the world.

Even our scorer admitted he touched the ball with his hand. It's none of our business what referees do with their calls. I don't recall seeing your federation or team admitting they fucking cheated their way into the last Copa América finals.

And holy shit are you delusional. VIDAL the best midfielder in the world? He's not even the best in Europe. I'm not washing my mouth for some dirty fucker that knows how to play football.

Please, tone it down. I know you guys have some irrational inferior complex against Chile, but keep it in your pants and try to discuss in a sober way.

Your player admited it AFTER the match, so, yeah he cheated in order to get the goal. On the other hand, chilean players won both tournaments fair and square as much as you don't like it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Please, tone it down. I know you guys have some irrational inferior complex against Chile, but keep it in your pants and try to discuss in a sober way.

Your player admited it AFTER the match, so, yeah he cheated in order to get the goal. On the other hand, chilean players won both tournaments fair and square as much as you don't like it.

The home advantage during the previous Copa America was insane. Uruguay and Peru ended with one man less.

FuuRe

This conversation is rapidly derailing into a fest of sore losers and bad winners

Keep it civil guys, if you want to prove a point at least back it up with some kind of evidence

Boney

Banned

This is the number one reason why Chile is a competent team and was able to grow it's football. These generation is super talented by Bielsa ten years ago basically had them running non stop for months before really working on actual techniques and strategies. You need to be able to be at 100% through all the match or else you were worthless to him. This also carried with Sampaoli since he also plays that same aggressive football and I assume it will keep going now.

But yeah it's insane, when you notice how much work the mid field does attacking and defending and being able to stop counter attacks with 200ft sprints you realize why their defense is so damn good.

wheeplash

You could have avoided all this conversation if you hadn't made a tongue-in-cheek comment about my team's ''balls''.

You were free to PM whatever you wanted to, but instead you decided to keep this passive-aggressive nonsense and now you're even talking about an inferior complex? Come on, this is textbook high-school banter.

That's it, I'm sorry to everyone else for derailing things like this. I'm out.

The team of the tournament for this Copa has 8 chilean players:

Bravo

Isla, Otamendi (Arg), Medel, Beausejour

Mascherano (Arg), Vidal, Aránguiz

Messi (Arg), Vargas, Sánchez

Impressive!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom