• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Cornbread78

o5PFSFC.jpg

Release Date(s):
- April 11th, 2017 (NA)
- April 18th, 2017 (EU)
- Vita: 04/24/2018 (NA)
Developer: Zeboyd Games
Publisher: Zeboyd Games
(http://zeboyd.com/)
Platforms: PS4/Vita*/PC (Steam)/MAC
(cross-buy on PS)
Price: $14.99
Genre: Indie, RPG (turn-based/jrpg)

Store Links:
Steam Store Link
Humble Store Link
Playstation Store (PS4)

Sountrack:
zuAsGLE.jpg

Official Soundtrack from Hyperduck Bandcamp

LRG Box Art:
Px1sipV.png

System Requirements (PC):

Minimum:
Processor: Dual Core CPU - 2.6ghz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1GB of VRAM: Intel HD 3000 GPU / AMD HD 5450 / Nvidia 9400 GT
Storage: 2 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: Core i5 3570, AMD FX-6300
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: 2GB of VRAM: GTX 750ti, Radeon HD 7850
Storage: 2 GB available space

The Game Features:
◾The best of classic and modern RPGs!
◾Brisk pacing that respects your time! Save anywhere!
◾No separate battle screen! Battles take place directly in the areas that you explore!
◾2D visual style straight from the height of gaming's 16-bit era!
◾Animated cutscenes reminiscent of the Sega CD & Turbo Duo era!
◾Soundtrack by HyperDuck SoundWorks (Dust: An Elysian Tail)
◾Over 100 minutes of music!
◾Innovative turn-based combat system that focuses on flow & strategy!
◾Your own spaceship! Recruit new agents to help your home base grow!
◾1080/60 with extremely minimal load times on the PS4
◾4 difficulties - Tourist, Agent, Heroine, and Super-Spy

The Story
Alyssa L'Salle is one of the top secret agents at the Agency of Peace & Intelligence on the Planet Araenu. But when she uncovers a horrible conspiracy, she has to go rogue in order to save the day! Can Alyssa save the galaxy when everyone (and everything) is out to stop her?

The Battle System
Combat takes place directly on the exploration maps (no separate battle screen). No random battles; everything is pre-set and some battles can be avoided if you manage to sneak past the enemies.

In combat, there's no MP. Instead, most abilities you have can only be used once until you use a Defend/Recharge move to restore everything.

As you choose abilities, your character's style score goes up and as that goes up, your abilities become more effective. There are also a few "Burst" abilities that you can use that will spend all of your existing style points for one massive effect. Every few turns, your characters will go into Hyper mode and abilities will deal double damage and ailments are more likely to work. Plan in advance to take advantage of hyper and style for combat success.

XDAfaWB.png

Additional Game Info:

Home Base:
At some point in the game, you get a spaceship which acts as your base of operations. There are a couple dozen NPCs you can recruit to join your spaceship "town" and they give various bonuses

Character Abilities:
Every character gets about 20 personal abilities. You can also use programs as abilities, based on which shield (armor) you have equipped. As an example, Alyssa can equip a unique shield that lets you do a special unique two-person combo with each other character. They're like equippable mini-classes.

Item Use:
You start out with 3 slots to equip items and gain more slots as the game progresses.

Early item examples:
Shield Breaker - Ailment: Vulnerable (Enemy takes double damage from the next hit)
Poison Mist - Ailment: Poison (Damage each turn. Only works on organic enemies)
Aegis - Target ally takes only 1 HP of damage from the next hit
Sunglasses - Target ally gains 40% style (style affects damage & ailment success)
Potion - Target ally regains 100 HP (Not reduced when ally is in desperate mode)
Pain Pill - Target ally can enter desperate mode once with no style cost (Desperate mode normally costs 50/100% style depending on difficulty level. Desperate mode means that when a hit would kill you instead you go into negative HP and only die if your HP is still negative at the end of your turn. In desperate mode, you get a damage bonus and most heal effects are halved)
Hyperizer - Target ally instantly goes into Hyper mode (Hyper mode occurs every X turns depending on the character and doubles your damage/ailment power for 1 turn)

Game inspirations:
Phantasy Star - Setting. Inspiration to make the game in the first place (I wish there was a Phantasy Star V... let's make the next best thing!)
Chrono Trigger - Late 16-bit style. Battles on map. Dual techs.
Lunar: Eternal Blue - Tone. Cutscenes. Music.
Suikoden - Intrigue. Base building.

The Characters:

Alyssa L'Salle
mkFgErv.png

Our Heroine! At the start of our story, she is one of the top secret agents at the Agency of Peace and Intelligence. However, all is not as it seems...

Weapon: Cyber-Bo
Strengths: Versatility, Leadership
Dominant Element: Water

Chahn Kaneko
0ZzHGim.png

Close personal friend of Alyssa. Quite the energetic personality. Skilled in gunmancy - the art of summoning and controlling guns with your mind. Also skilled in the medical arts.

Weapon: Summoned Guns
Strengths: Healing, Backup
Dominant Element: Fire

Dave
Wnm34Ra.png

Elite hacker for the Galactic Agency. Thinks he's cool but really isn't. Incredibly paranoid. Supports the team while impairing the enemy with his mad skillz. His unique Enviro-hack skill changes effect depending on the location it's used in.

Weapon: Tablet
Strengths: Debuffs, Hacking
Dominant Element: Lightning

Borisusovsky (aka Sue)
yp0H6eH.png

When you need brute strength combined with impeccable fashion sense, he's your man. Quiet and gruff but has a soft side that emerges from time to time.

Weapon: Fists
Strengths: Martial Arts, Combos
Dominant Element: Earth

Lauren
bCU7WCV.png

An indie singer from the slums of Gehenna. A little shy... or is that just a cover?

Weapon: Force Daggers.
Strengths: Speed, Ailments.
Dominant Element: Wind

Finn
FdiyqKC.png

Proud member of the Araenu Police Force. Distant cousin of Alyssa. Wants to be taken seriously.

Weapon: Shotblaster
Strengths: Taking a hit
Dominant Element: Fire

Arete
9X0G2L6.png

Prominent member of the Astrea rebel faction. True name unknown. Proud and calculating. Accompanied by a floating seeing eye robot that feeds images directly to her visual display device.

Weapon: Explosive Beakers
Strengths: Technology, Eye Robot Minion
Dominant Element: Ice

Clarke
jV4QddK.png

Rogue robot agent. Was the smoothest talker around back before the incident. Ever since then, he's been a bit... odd.

Weapon: Rocket Boots
Strengths: Who knows?
Dominant Element: Lightning

Psybe
ZO4AU9R.png

Cybernetically-enhanced Psybe comes from the planet Rhomu, where his species builds its advanced hive-like civilizations among the ruins of jungle-like planet surface. A genius and fearless explorer, Psybe seeks justice for his planet and his people.

Weapon: Songs
Strengths: Support
Dominant Element: Earth

Orson Bolibar
FWFhsw2.png

Member of an alien race that begins life looking human before turning into ghosts upon maturation. Wears a special suit that amplifies his spectral powers. Private Eye on the Planet Nuluup.

Weapon: Colt Handgun formed from Spectral Energy.
Strengths: Elemental Magic
Dominant Element: Wind

Z'xorv
JfVAGYi.png

Alien bounty hunter. Loves capes. Hard to kill. Doesn't talk much.

Weapon: Claws
Strengths: Brute Strength.
Dominant Element: Ice

Screenshots:
bqRbyaw.png
B03GsEo.jpg
2XElOR3.jpg
8TaFaKU.png

d3rcJ3y.png
xvSOsq7.png

IE6wbGK.jpg
65kU7zh.jpg

Video Media:
2016 E3 Trailer
General Trailer
30 Minute Gameplay video
Vita Off-screen footage
PS Underground Preview video

Reviews:
PS4 Metacritic
PC Matacritic

Trophy List<Spoiler Warning>
Playstation Trophies.org

Zeboyd Q & A
Some Q and As:

-When is the Vita version?
As soon as we can direct our focus back onto it, start testing the whole thing there and fixing anything that might need fixing (like the file size), and learning any new ropes on the back-end for Vita which itself takes time. But at the very least our game and engine runs super great on it.

-Potential for a Switch port?
We've been in touch with Nintendo so the possibility is there, but we can't even think about adding more platforms at the moment until we take care of the ones we've already promised.

-Limited Run Games physical edition when?
Once the PS4 and Vita versions have been out for a bit, and if there've been any patching to fix weird quirks along the way, that would be the time, given that doing a physical run we'd want any tweaks/updates to go along with the Disc/Card.

How Long is this game?
15-25 hours depending on play style

HpsG9Dj.jpg

*Thank you to BGBW for another great banner!

Last edited:
Sorry Zeboyd, I wanna give this game the time it deserves so even though I was like the fifth person or something to Kickstart it I'll have to wait until I'm done with Persona 5 so I can actually dedicate myself to it completely.

Never heard of this reminds me allot of Chrono Trigger. Might junp in since i just finished Zelda yesterday.

Any reviews up for this yet?

RDreamer

Looks great, but I'm waiting for the Vita version to play. Well, that and finishing Persona 5/Mass Effect Andromeda.

Preordered it already on PSN though.

Can't wait to get my Humble code for the game. I'm loving what I heard of the soundtrack so far and the gameplay is giving me Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, and Lunar vibes.

Jeffrey

Gimme them keys already Robert. Wanna poke at this ASAP xD

Jrpgs that value my time. Makes me more excited than any other game atm lol.

tebunker

Banned
Preordered on PSN.

Game looks slick, it fits my gaming budget stylewise, timewise and money wise. I wanted to support Zeboyd since they've really done a good job of putting themselves out there.

And if its good, and they do get enough $$ to justify more development of it I will double dip for portability.

Really looking forward to playing.

Was this still coming to Xbox One of any Nintendo platforms?

I believe Robert has commented that both are potentially down the road. I know he's reached out to Nintendo and may have it up on Xbox. But you read some of his musings and you can tell he is burnt out a little so definitely give them team the air and space they need.

Cornbread78

Was this still coming to Xbox One of any Nintendo platforms?

I know they were "looking into it" but nothing else has been mentioned on it. I think Robert has been asked about 100,000 times now about the new Nintendo platform...

I believe Robert has commented that both are potentially down the road. I know he's reached out to Nintendo and may have it up on Xbox. But you read some of his musings and you can tell he is burnt out a little so definitely give them team the air and space they need.

Yeah, important note here.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I already got the game pre ordered but I hope the PS Vita version doesn't take too long to release.

kevin1025

Banned
Incredible OT, very good work!

This and Yooka-Laylee on the same day... the 90's have returned and I love every bit of it!!

Arkeband

Banned
I'll probably check this out at some point, although the name has always seemed weird to me, like having a female protagonist is so in vogue now that they named the game itself "female protagonist in space".

I have basically nothing to go on as far as what the plot actually involves beyond that. Most other titles infer something, even Mighty No. 9 gives you a sense that you're going to find out about numbers 1-8 and maybe those past 9, and what makes 9 special.

What I'm getting at is I think the name kind of sucks. (sorry Rob)

Arthea

I'll probably check this out at some point, although the name has always seemed weird to me, like having a female protagonist is so in vogue now that they named the game itself "female protagonist in space".

I have basically nothing to go on as far as what the plot actually involves beyond that. Most other titles infer something, even Mighty No. 9 gives you a sense that you're going to find out about numbers 1-8 and maybe those past 9, and what makes 9 special.

games that have Hero in their name:
Heroes of Might and Magic
Clash of heroes
Guitar Hero
Marvel Heroes
The Legend of Heroes
Heroes of the Storm
etc. I got bored

nobody ever complained, but now we have Heroine and suddenly it's a name without meaning, nice...

Game inspirations:
Phantasy Star - Setting. Inspiration to make the game in the first place (I wish there was a Phantasy Star V... let's make the next best thing!)
Chrono Trigger - Late 16-bit style. Battles on map. Dual techs.
Lunar: Eternal Blue - Tone. Cutscenes. Music.
Suikoden - Intrigue. Base building.

What a perfect list of JRPGs! Can't wait to dig into my backer copy later. Congrats to the team.

shingi70

Banned
Preordered on PSN.

Game looks slick, it fits my gaming budget stylewise, timewise and money wise. I wanted to support Zeboyd since they've really done a good job of putting themselves out there.

And if its good, and they do get enough $$ to justify more development of it I will double dip for portability.

Really looking forward to playing.

I know they were "looking into it" but nothing else has been mentioned on it. I think Robert has been asked about 100,000 times now about the new Nintendo platform...

Yeah, important note here.

No problem, I don't mind waiting for them to come out for the platforms I own. Of they don't I'll eventually get a capable of or PS4.

RDreamer

Are... are you serious with this?

I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the combat system and soundtrack. I love the short animated cutscenes as well, they look great.

Arkeband

Banned
games that have Hero in their name:
Heroes of Might and Magic
Clash of heroes
Guitar Hero
Marvel Heroes
The Legend of Heroes
Heroes of the Storm
etc. I got bored

nobody ever complained, but now we have Heroine and suddenly it's a name without meaning, nice...

Not a single one of those are story driven JRPG's (and those names are also bland) edit: except Legend of Heroes, which is the laziest name ever conceived.

Are... are you serious with this?

I'm serious that the game doesn't convey what it's about (unless the plot is as thin as "woman does heroics in space") Even using the name Alyssa would have been more intriguing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not a single one of those are story driven JRPG's.

Exactly what did you feel the following names tell you about the games:
- Final Fantasy
- Disgaea
- The Legend of Heroes
- Ys
- Shin Megami Tensei (especially if you speak English and not Japanese)

RDreamer

I'm serious that the game doesn't convey what it's about. Even using the name Alyssa would have been more intriguing.

Aside from the fact that you haven't played the game and thus don't know if the title even has any story meaning at all, since when do names even really convey much about what they're about?

Final Fantasy?
Phantasy Star?
Tales of... ?
Dragon Quest?
Xenogears/Xenosaga/Xenoblade Chronicles?
Shadow Hearts?
SaGa?
Valkyria Chronicles?
etc etc

None of those tell me really anything about the game.

How does Alyssa tell you anything about the game? I'm so confused.

Top Bottom