• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could/Should God of War Ragnarok win GOTY over Elden Ring based on technical superiority?

Could/Should GoW Ragnarok win GOTY over Elden Ring based on technical superiority?

• Yes

Votes: 53 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 177 59.4%
  • False choice; let me explain why your question sucks in the comments

Votes: 68 22.8%

• Total voters

geary

RDR2 was out only on PS in 2018 and had serious performance problems. If it would have been also on PC other would have been the discussion.

Yoboman

Nope. A good game is a good game. Horizon takes a big shit on GOW Ragnorak's visuals so its technically superior but its highly unlikely that it will end up as the better sequel. Should Horizon FW win GOTY over GOWR?

My favorite game of all time is MGS3. It ran at like 20 fps in like half of the levels. Groznigrad, swamp areas, almost all the boss fights and setpieces ran at sub 30 fps. didnt make a difference. still, the greatest game ever.

SOTC, same thing. 15 fps game. Couldnt care less. It's a masterpiece in game design, storytelling and world design. Elden Rings is mostly 45-60 fps on next gen consoles. Not really a big deal compared to what we put up with before.

That said, I hope GOWR kicks the shit out of ER in the GOTY awards. I havent disliked a well reviewed game this much since BOTW and unlike the Zelda series, I am a massive souls fan. However, I am not sure it will since it looks very copy pasta. Sony didnt even bother forcing Cory to lead the project and its going to suffer because of that. ER will win simply because of how different it feels compared to other souls game. It's a massive departure from the series roots while GOW looks identical to the previous game in pretty much every way.
You can't force somebody to do something. Being a director of a AAA game is a massive undertaking, 5 years of your life dedicated to that vision. If Cory wants his energy directed at something new then Sony should support that which they have

Forcing him on a game he doesn't want to is how you end up with studios producing crap

A certain bunch will automatically choose GOW over Elden Ring.

A bigger bunch will probably do the exact opposite for similar reasons, coated in a different colour.
The question of the OP is quite loaded, imo, because it assumes that the only aspect GOW would have the upper hand in is the graphics/animations...I would not be so sure myself.

Borowski_1

I'm really surprised by this but I haven't finished GoW. RDR2 felt like a way bigger game from my perspective. Now that it's released on PC, I'll probably play it again so I'll get a better overall opinion.
RDR 2 suffered some backlash at the time because of the controls, the realism, and feeling too slow. Gameplay in general

That's why GoW won

Top Bottom