• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could/Should God of War Ragnarok win GOTY over Elden Ring based on technical superiority?

Could/Should GoW Ragnarok win GOTY over Elden Ring based on technical superiority?

• Yes

Votes: 53 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 177 59.4%
  • False choice; let me explain why your question sucks in the comments

Votes: 68 22.8%

• Total voters

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think most would agree that Elden Ring represents a paradigm shift for the open world genre. The general consensus thus far is that the game is GOTY frontrunner and a near-flawless masterpiece, with the Exception (with a capital E) of it's technical performance. This got me wondering just how much the game's technical shortcomings takes away from it's greatness (or perhaps it doesn't at all).

Considering the sequel to a prior GOTY winner is due later this year, I choose to frame my question as follows:

Hypothetically speaking, if God of War Ragnarok turns out to be the "Perfect Sequel" that doubles down on all of the attributes that made the 2018 game so beloved, while avoiding typical tropes often associated with sequels, would presumed technical superiority be enough to eek out GOTY win over Elden Ring in your opinion?

YukiOnna

Let me use my time travel device to see if I enjoyed God of War Ragnarok.

EDIT: Snark aside, I think every factor needs to be considered in regards to a GOTY race but it comes down to lasting effect and enjoyment. Personally speaking, based on GoW and in comparison to other FROM games it wouldn't, but it's a bit unfair.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If GOWR releases this year, im expecting it to be the overall 2022 game of the year for various reasons including being superior on a technical level. If not, then it will probably go to Elden Ring unless critics end up giving it to TLOU Remake.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
No one one will use graphics as a goty indicator. Just look at all the indie/nintendo games that win awards.

Well framerate is the presumed issue in this case for ER. I don't think many people complain about ER graphics so much.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Jesus Christ people, I think this topic is silly as well, but the OP is clearly talking about a "all else being equal. . ." type situation where "technical performance" could be the tie-breaker.

. . .my word!

Why are we choosing between a game we've played and one we haven't?

God of War 2018 was one of my favorite games of last-gen. That said, I'd be shocked if I would put Ragnarok ahead of Elden Ring, which is a top 3 game ever for me, if not number one.

bitbydeath

If God of War wins it should be because,
1) it has an absolutely amazing story;
2) Elden Ring released so long ago that many have already moved on from it.

That's up to each person how important it is for them. Slightly superior tech will never beat out better gameplay for me.

And The Callisto Protocol should win either way.

If the game ends up being spectacular maybe but I don't foresee Elden Ring "losing" the GOTY title but at that point it's only about opinions and truth be told, my opinion shouldn't matter to you or anyone else.

For example just the fact that Devolver announced that Ron Gilbert is making a new Monkey Island COMING OUT THIS YEAR to me is a much bigger megaton that any other announcement we have had during this non-E3 but I'm sure there are like only 6 people in this forum who will agree with me and the rest will tell me to fuck off.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For example just the fact that Devolver announced that Ron Gilbert is making a new Monkey Island COMING OUT THIS YEAR to me is a much bigger megaton that any other announcement we have had during this non-E3 but I'm sure there are like only 6 people in this forum who will agree with me and the rest will tell me to fuck off.
I know the feeling, I personally super hype for AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES – nirvanA Initiative but other very few people, barely no one cares but at end of day none of this what GAMES IS “GOTY” matters because no matter what game wins it’s not gonna change what game YOU enjoyed the most.

geary

From technical pov will be better cause you need to develop it for 2 set of systems, PS4 and PS5. People tend to forget this part when they put on a pedestal exclusive games.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Not for technical superiority.

It should win GOTY if it's the better game.

Elden Ring is fantastic, but greatly flawed. If God of War has less flaws and closes out the series in a spectacular way, it'll win GOTY for me.

Better game or gameplay? I'm assuming we're on same page discussing the former.

I suppose that's what I'm getting at. Do technicals (particularly framerate performance since it's more objective when comparing different genres and artistic approach) ever matter when determining whether a game is great or overall "better" than another?

DavidGzz

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have way more issues and are some of the best games ever. I wouldn't put any of the God of War games near them. God of War 2018 was awesome but nowhere near a Souls game. Even 2 owns it.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Ugghhh... people actually care about GOTY? Just enjoy and play the games you like. I must be in the minority. I can have 10 games as games I enjoyed in the same year. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Top Bottom