• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could/Should God of War Ragnarok win GOTY over Elden Ring based on technical superiority?

Could/Should GoW Ragnarok win GOTY over Elden Ring based on technical superiority?

• Yes

Votes: 53 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 177 59.4%
  • False choice; let me explain why your question sucks in the comments

Votes: 68 22.8%

• Total voters

Barrico82

Banned
God of War II is 13 hours, GOW 2018 is 30 hours and substantially more getting through all optional content

Then my memory failed me, I always thought II was the longest one, hopefully Ragnarok will be in the same jump as II was to the original.

Fredrik

There is a big difference between not liking the open world ( As a genre) which is fine and acceptable statement, than saying the wolrd was boring and unnecessary.

The way they structure the open world, and fillig it with optional dungeons, tunnels and other activities, the way they made the teleportation points that expand your horizons and make you aware of the scale and areas of the open world.

To me they nailed the scope, scale, fun and rewarding aspects of moving to open world.
Yeah the open world is the real reason I’m now standing right outside the open door after Godfrey instead of not even half-way through and bashing my head at the wall like in Demon’s Souls.

The way they encourage exploring and let you experiment to find alternative routes is fantastic, even the more linear legacy dungeons have alternative routes you only find if you dare to make some crazy jumps. It’s still walled-off in certain areas but rarely in a way that annoys me. And instead of grinding the same area and monsters over and over to level up you can just go out exploring and go through a dungeon instead and earn more runes while having more fun. 👍
Plus, instant horse spawning is an absolutely brilliant idea!

Last edited:

Three

Brofist

honestly, the game isn't out yet, just stfu about some shitty award until it releases.
I read down to this reply and didn't need to proceed any more.

OK I lied I read more.

No because on technical part (or technology) Elden Ring is able to implement open world design and multiplayer elements in a much bigger scale than God of War.
You should know by now being able to see your character's pores in photo mode is the crowning achievement graphically in any game. Who cares about scale?

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
There is a big difference between not liking the open world ( As a genre) which is fine and acceptable statement, than saying the wolrd was boring and unnecessary.

The way they structure the open world, and fillig it with optional dungeons, tunnels and other activities, the way they made the teleportation points that expand your horizons and make you aware of the scale and areas of the open world.

To me they nailed the scope, scale, fun and rewarding aspects of moving to open world.

Oh but I like open world games. But in ER it was unnecessary. It didn't add anything more than bloat.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But everyone told me "framerate is gameplay". I do think the level of polish in a game should be recognised.
Look, if framerate for Elden Ring was Drakengard 3 level bad then I would agree with you. Elden Ring’s framerate isn’t perfect but no where near unplayable.

Also a game can be polish as fuck when it comes to graphic and tech but if the overall experience is underwhelming then all that tech doesn’t mean much, which was my experience with first Horizon.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I think LoZ:BOTW 2 will win praise for doing what it's predecessor did.

But God of War will get ravaged for doing that.

Has happened before.
Doubtful. If BOTW comes out having weapons breaking after 5 hits and having a handful of real non-shrine dungeons and big bosses in 2023 it won’t be GOTY.
And to be brutally honest I think the reason they’ve gone into hiding is because Elden Ring came out from nowhere with so much content that it makes literally all similar games look rushed in comparison.

cormack12

Gold Member
Would presumed technical superiority be enough to eek out GOTY win over Elden Ring in your opinion?

No, this would:

...if God of War Ragnarok turns out to be the "Perfect Sequel" that doubles down on all of the attributes that made the 2018 game so beloved, while avoiding typical tropes often associated with sequels,

yamaci17

it will win, i'm sure of it. just like it happened in 2018. sony cares too much about media attention, they will pour some good money to clinch the goty, just like they did against rdr 2

PS studio games can be summed up with = boring and repetitive combat, mocap filled cutscenes, corridor TPS. same formula. every game. works like a charm. how joyful

its really crazy to see such attention these PS studio games get. all thanks to xbox's incompetence (xbox one being a failed console). ps3 xbox 360 had a more balanced userbase (i think %60-40 or something) and now we have %80 to %20 which creates this anomaly where all media and userbase thinks their games are above everything other developers produce and no one can think otherwise because then you're taking up arms against a %80 console userbase so they must be right and unchallenged. never in my life i've seen ps3 exclusive games getting this much attention.

beating starfield over goty award will be even easier. they will have the full force of their userbase shitting on the game. we already their fans exhibiting this type of concern trolling.

Last edited:

Three

Look, if framerate for Elden Ring was Drakengard 3 level bad then I would agree with you. Elden Ring’s framerate isn’t perfect but no where near unplayable.

Also a game can be polish as fuck when it comes to graphic and tech but if the overall experience is underwhelming then all that tech doesn’t mean much, which was my experience with first Horizon.
The stutters on PC were pretty bad and almost gamebreaking. Anyway I think personally GoTY should be judged on all merits including graphics, sound, polish/bug free, gameplay, story; everything. Everything should be taken into consideration.

Brofist

The stutters on PC were pretty bad and almost gamebreaking. Anyway I think personally GoTY should be judged on all merits including graphics, sound, polish/bug free, gameplay, story; everything. Everything should be taken into consideration.
The worst I had it was at the Tree Sentinel early on. Was fine for the next couple hundred hours tbh

Barrico82

Banned
Oh but I like open world games. But in ER it was unnecessary. It didn't add anything more than bloat.

Maybe to you it felt unnecessary, but to me having an open world filled with the optional dungeons and try to discover their locations, is much better than having them in a list and choosing them like in bloodborne for example.

The sense of wonder and exploration to find the Carian Castle or the weeping peninsula is far better feeling than the optional dungeon in bloodborne (( the one where you go to it via a carriage ))

This is beside the journey to the main legacy dungeons, far better thing than choosing from commands or status.

The open world for sure added alot, either to the sense of exploration, or journeying the world and on top to the sense of wondor.

Vognerful

I read down to this reply and didn't need to proceed any more.

OK I lied I read more.

You should know by now being able to see your character's pores in photo mode is the crowning achievement graphically in any game. Who cares about scale?
Can't tell if you are being real or sarcastic

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If it's as good a game (which we don't know) but with better tech (which we do know), sure. But we don't know yet. It shouldn't win on tech alone, it being a good game is obviously more important.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my eyes tech flaws can be fixed through patches or mods but underwhelming experience not so much.

But then again that can be very subjective, what people find enjoyable or underwhelming can be different for each person, this is mostly why I have not much care for ”GOTY“ other than see new trailers for upcoming games.

Last edited:

mxbison

Elden Ring has plenty of flaws like poor balancing and combat being the same old rolling through mid-air tracking attacks.

God of War will have its own bunch of flaws like a less organic feeling world.

If both games are somewhat similar good in total the technical aspecs could definitely count.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Breath of the wild should win again 5 years later since still has the best physics engine on consoles with hardware from 10 years ago. Now that's a technical marvel.

Fredrik

no
ragnarok, just like the 2018 gow, will be an above average game, at best

though, it will win, i'm sure of it. just like it happened in 2018. sony cares too much about media attention, they will pour some good money to clinch the goty title for their mediocre game, just like they did against rdr 2

PS studio games can be summed up with = boring and repetitive combat, mocap filled cutscenes, corridor TPS. same formula. every game. works like a charm. how joyful

its really crazy to see such attention these mediocre PS studio games get. all thanks to xbox's incompetence (xbox one being a failed console). ps3 xbox 360 had a more balanced userbase (i think %60-40 or something) and now we have %80 to %20 which creates this anomaly where all media and userbase thinks their games are godmode and no one can think otherwise because then you're taking up arms against a %80 console userbase so they must be right and unchallenged. never in my life i've seen ps3 exclusive games getting this much attention. exact same formula. exact same graphical peak (yes, they also had graphical peak with ps3 games. yet i've never seen so much "attention" to them. exact game stories. exact same gameplay, just with better mocap quality and smoother animations)

god of war 3 had a better change against rdr 1 yet ended up losing. yet somehow gow miraculuously wins over rdr 2. cut the bullshit. ragnarok is already a certified goty. if they cannot influence enough people on the show, they will postpone the release to 2023 so that they can avoid from soft's media influence (that is also a thing)

beating starfield over goty award will be even easier. they will have the full force of their userbase shitting on the game. like they already doing.
Lol?

PS Studio has made some of the best games the industry has seen.
And GOW2018 was such a masterpiece. I still had RDR2 above it though because I fell in love with the dynamic world. But it’s up there on the top 10 GOAT list for sure.

Today GOW2018 feels a bit dated, gaming has evolved since 2018, open-world games has got more variety and the metroidvania gear-based walls and enemy waves spawning in feels ancient. If the sequel can evolve and dodge the sequel traps and surprise everyone it could be up there on the GOAT list as well.

Yoboman

no
ragnarok, just like the 2018 gow, will be an above average game, at best

though, it will win, i'm sure of it. just like it happened in 2018. sony cares too much about media attention, they will pour some good money to clinch the goty title for their mediocre game, just like they did against rdr 2

its really crazy to see such attention these mediocre PS studio games get. all thanks to xbox's incompetence (xbox one being a failed console). ps3 xbox 360 had a more balanced userbase (i think %60-40 or something) and now we have %80 to %20 which creates this anomaly where all media and userbase thinks their games are godmode and no one can think otherwise because then you're taking up arms against a %80 console userbase so they must be right and unchallenged. never in my life i've seen ps3 exclusive games getting this much attention. exact same formula. exact same graphical peak (yes, they also had graphical peak with ps3 games. yet i've never seen so much "attention" to them. exact game stories. exact same gameplay, just with better mocap quality and smoother animations)

god of war 3 had a better change against rdr 1 yet ended up losing. yet somehow gow miraculuously wins over rdr 2. cut the bullshit. ragnarok is already a certified goty. if they cannot influence enough people on the show, they will postpone the release to 2023 so that they can avoid from soft's media influence (that is also a thing)

beating starfield over goty award will be even easier. they will have the full force of their userbase shitting on the game. like they already doing.
Bitter cringe takes are the best

Yoboman

Lol?

PS Studio has made some of the best games the industry has seen.
And GOW2018 was such a masterpiece. I still had RDR2 above it though because I fell in love with the dynamic world. But it’s up there on the top 10 GOAT list for sure.

Today GOW2018 feels a bit dated, gaming has evolved since 2018, open-world games has got more variety and the metroidvania gear-based walls and enemy waves spawning in feels ancient. If the sequel can evolve and dodge the sequel traps and surprise everyone it could be up there on the GOAT list as well.
I disagree. Too many open worlds, 3D metroidvania style level design is still a rarity I enjoy immensely. Feels a lot more hand crafted

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Christ way too many people are getting caught up in the two games I have offered as examples, as well as the GOTY designation.Clearly it's on me since it keeps happening. These games just happen to provide very good example as case study for reasons I clearly and purposefully stated in the first comment where I provide context. GOTY should also be viewed as a proxy for "the quintessential game", which of course doesn't exist. I'm getting at people's evaluatory preferences here.

One game (ER) is pushing the medium in meaningful ways, but leaves a bit to be desired in the tech performance arena.

The other game (GoW R) doubles down on mastery of narrative (excellent execution of existing formula) and presumably rock solid in tech performance.

Sheesh, work with me here...

Nah, mate. You could have chosen Boogerman and Ren and Stimpy as your choices and I would have said the same thing. GotY discussions are always pushed by the two types of people I mentioned: Console Warriors and children who need validation for their purchases.

Not to mention that even if the above were not the case, your thread is inherently flawed as one of the two titles is not out yet and literally no one knows it’s quality.

The GOTY should go to the game with the overall best impressions.And like the Oscars there should be a GOTY for everything like best music of the year best graphics of the year.

Fredrik

I disagree. Too many open worlds, 3D metroidvania style level design is still a rarity I enjoy immensely. Feels a lot more hand crafted
Metroidvania is my favorite genre so if it’s done well I absolutely agree, but I’m not a fan of enemy spawning in and the walls has to be cleverly designed.

Elden Ring is combining open world freedom and exploration with linear legacy dungeons. I don’t see any problem with that. In the dungeons you have classic metroidvania walls in the form of non-functional elevators, too far drops, and bosses, but sometimes you can take alternative routes and go past enemies you see from a far which I think is cool.

GOW2018 is a bit weird since Kratos can swing himself up on a dragon to slay it but still can’t jump over a bit of rubble and need new gear to progress. I hope they rethink how they do walls and let you experiment more how to progress through the world in the sequel.

yamaci17

I hope they rethink how they do walls and let you experiment more how to progress through the world in the sequel.
they won't though, it will be a replica of 2018 game. i think you have unrealistic expectations tbh

and nothing wrong with that

i just want not so cringey dialogue writing. but that is going to be impossible with the Cringereus character. it even makes the kratos seem cringe. but what do I know. keep hitting me

Last edited:

Yoboman

Metroidvania is my favorite genre so if it’s done well I absolutely agree, but I’m not a fan of enemy spawning in and the walls has to be cleverly designed.

Elden Ring is combining open world freedom and exploration with linear legacy dungeons. I don’t see any problem with that. In the dungeons you have classic metroidvania walls in the form of non-functional elevators, too far drops, and bosses, but sometimes you can take alternative routes and go past enemies you see from a far which I think is cool.

GOW2018 is a bit weird since Kratos can swing himself up on a dragon to slay it but still can’t jump over a bit of rubble and need new gear to progress. I hope they rethink how they do walls and let you experiment more how to progress through the world in the sequel.
Yeah it could use more in the way of movement options. I didnt necessarily miss jumping, but it can add more by having it.

Wohc

Banned
GOW is barely in the Top 75 on Metacritic while RDR2 is top 10. I neither understand how it could beat RDR2, but the bribery allegations from yamaci are ridiculous.

yamaci17

GOW is barely in the Top 75 on Metacritic while RDR2 is top 10. I neither understand how it could beat RDR2, but the bribery allegations from yamaci are ridiculous.
it was a joke btw

i just mean that influence is there. even if ragnarok ends up being a more succesful game, influence of from and their rabid fans may also outweigh the sony.

i dont think overwatch is a rightfuly goty owner, being a bad rip off of TF2. yet blizzard influence was there.

im not talking about literal bribes. im talking about influence. a game awards show cannot ignore a %80 totalbase + succesful game.

Fredrik

Yeah it could use more in the way of movement options. I didnt necessarily miss jumping, but it can add more by having it.
Yeah in Elden Ring I went through the Farum Azula map yesterday, even though it’s fairly linear in it’s structure I found out that I could do crazy jumps out from platforms onto pillars far down just to skip some enemy encounters. And I put on a talisman that silenced my steps completely and sneaked past a whole area with enemies I struggled with. I love having options like stuff!

And that’s just the dungeon stuff, in the open world it’s extremely free while still having some clever walls because of the insanely vertical map layout.

Just an example, early game, small area to not spoil, showing bosses and dungeons.
atWBnRz.jpg

iBcuxIE.jpg

This is what every dev compete with now. Contentwise Elden Ring is unmatched. Santa Monica (GOW), Bethesda (Starfield), Obsidian (Avowed), Nintendo (BOTW2), Ubisoft (AC), Blizzard (Diablo 4), they all should sweat because the competition just got a whole lot stiffer after 2022!

Last edited:

Markio128

My GOTY is either GT7 or HFW and I couldn’t give a rats arse about the media’s opinion. I have a love/hate with ER - I do love the exploration and visual art style, but I find the game tests my patience more than my gaming ability - I’ve started it twice and just got tired of it each time.

I’m open for GOWR to beat my other personal aforementioned GOTYs, but obviously won’t know until I’ve played it.

Barrico82

Banned
My GOTY is either GT7 or HFW and I couldn’t give a rats arse about the media’s opinion. I have a love/hate with ER - I do love the exploration and visual art style, but I find the game tests my patience more than my gaming ability - I’ve started it twice and just got tired of it each time.

I’m open for GOWR to beat my other personal aforementioned GOTYs, but obviously won’t know until I’ve played it.

I love Horizon, Platinumed both games, and I dont know how many times i completed the first one (( normal, hard, vey hard and ultra )) Platinumed it twice on 2 different accounts.

But Elden Ring is different, i really recommend you to try it and go through it, it is a unique game that really sets a timestamp on the gaming history

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I remember saying that MGS V was going to beat Witcher III because Kojima always sells greatness... How wrong was I

Elden Ring is going to be really hard to beat but I think that being an open world game works against it in awards. The game can really overstay it's welcome depending on how you play it, I loved it but by the end my interest had long peaked.

I'm a huge From Software fan but I think most reviewers didn't get anywhere close to finishing the game and it takes a while for you to start seeing the drawbacks of the open world design.

I don't think the technical shortcomings will count against Elden Ring at all comes awarding season, I was actually impressed by the jump From Software was able to make as a studio on the technical side.

Last edited:

Damigos

Let me explain why your question s****.
Elden ring is out, we played it, its very good.
Ragnarok is NOT out, no one has played it, no one knows anytging about it.
Cant compare

Markio128

I love Horizon, Platinumed both games, and I dont know how many times i completed the first one (( normal, hard, vey hard and ultra )) Platinumed it twice on 2 different accounts.

But Elden Ring is different, i really recommend you to try it and go through it, it is a unique game that really sets a timestamp on the gaming history
I genuinely tried to force myself to continue with the game - as I do with all games I buy at full price. I started to question whether or not I was enjoying the game, so that’s why I stopped playing it - there just isn’t any pull there for me. I think the game seems too vast for the gameplay loop, which sounds crazy because HFW could be accused of the same, but I just find fighting robotic creatures/dinosaurs more fun than fighting anything in ER. I think it could be that simple.

Saying that, I also love in HFW how many types of armour you can wear and how easy it is to change each one of them cosmetically, which ER also seems to lack - that personalisation aspect, which I feel is super important in a large-scale game. I was still using the same sword and armour (Samurai) 40 hours into the game!

Barrico82

Banned
I think the game seems too vast for the gameplay loop, which sounds crazy because HFW could be accused of the same, but I just find fighting robotic creatures/dinosaurs more fun than fighting anything in ER. I think it could be that simple.
I think it maybe the loop of fighting the machines is exciting because it is like a simple or mini puzzle, that's why it remains up to the end refreshing especially if you find the weapons combination that suits most machines, to compare it with Elden Ring, the problem is the difficulty that limits your, self trial and error, that will make the refreshment factor depreciate alot.

On the same note I think HZD in this regards is more fun than HFW, the machines are too aggressive and doesnt give you the chance for strategic approach
I was still using the same sword and armour (Samurai) 40 hours into the game!

I played the whole game with the same sword type, and now even in the game plus, using the same type but different ones in each hand, maybe it is my love to the thrust attacks by the great swords

ParaSeoul

I wrote off God of War 2018 when it was revealed. Didn't feel like GOW and I was one of those people who got upset. Picked it up a year later and was surprised I enjoyed it. Reviewers who didn't play the first games made me feel like it would not address the past games but it did. If they made some improvements to the combat,I could see it being a way better game than Elden Ring.

Top Bottom