• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could/Should God of War Ragnarok win GOTY over Elden Ring based on technical superiority?

Could/Should GoW Ragnarok win GOTY over Elden Ring based on technical superiority?

• Yes

Votes: 53 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 177 59.4%
  • False choice; let me explain why your question sucks in the comments

Votes: 68 22.8%

• Total voters

Gudji

no
ragnarok, just like the 2018 gow, will be an above average game, at best

though, it will win, i'm sure of it. just like it happened in 2018. sony cares too much about media attention, they will pour some good money to clinch the goty title for their mediocre game, just like they did against rdr 2

PS studio games can be summed up with = boring and repetitive combat, mocap filled cutscenes, corridor TPS. same formula. every game. works like a charm. how joyful

its really crazy to see such attention these mediocre PS studio games get. all thanks to xbox's incompetence (xbox one being a failed console). ps3 xbox 360 had a more balanced userbase (i think %60-40 or something) and now we have %80 to %20 which creates this anomaly where all media and userbase thinks their games are godmode and no one can think otherwise because then you're taking up arms against a %80 console userbase so they must be right and unchallenged. never in my life i've seen ps3 exclusive games getting this much attention. exact same formula. exact same graphical peak (yes, they also had graphical peak with ps3 games. yet i've never seen so much "attention" to them. exact game stories. exact same gameplay, just with better mocap quality and smoother animations)

god of war 3 had a better change against rdr 1 yet ended up losing. yet somehow gow miraculuously wins over rdr 2. cut the bullshit. ragnarok is already a certified goty. if they cannot influence enough people on the show, they will postpone the release to 2023 so that they can avoid from soft's media influence (that is also a thing)

beating starfield over goty award will be even easier. they will have the full force of their userbase shitting on the game. like they already doing.
Holy shit playstation lives rent free on your head. The other day you were saying playstation games are for people with LOW IQ (yes I saw your edit), how sad you are my guy.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Well .. Last of Us 2 won all the gotys over technical excellence and pushing the right buttons on the right "people"... so yes.. been the better game has nothing to do with GOTYS anymore...

Rudius

God of War Ragnarok will certainly not be as innovative or impactful to the industry as Elden Ring, but will no doubt be more polished in every way, not just in therms of framerate, loading and resolution, but story, controls, pacing, graphics, sound and things like that (music will be a tie). It will be more a matter what you consider more important. In my case I'd be inclined to prefer innovation over polish.

Borowski_1

God of War Ragnarok will certainly not be as innovative or impactful to the industry as Elden Ring, but will no doubt be more polished in every way, not just in therms of framerate, loading and resolution, but story, controls, pacing, graphics, sound and things like that (music will be a tie). It will be more a matter what you consider more important. In my case I'd be inclined to prefer innovation over polish.
What did Elden Ring innovate?

It's Open-world Dark Souls

Markio128

What did Elden Ring innovate?

It's Open-world Dark Souls
I was thinking the same thing - there is literally no innovation at all as far as I can see. If we’re talking about the need to explore to progress, with little hand-holding, then I’d say Zelda was doing this decades ago.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

I was thinking the same thing - there is literally no innovation at all as far as I can see. If we’re talking about the need to explore to progress, with little hand-holding, then I’d say Zelda was doing this decades ago.
The only thing i can think of, is a double jumping horse. And I'm not even kidding

The rest was there in every Dark Souls

This "Elden Ring innovated and changed the industry" thing is just a gaming media narrarive"

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
hard to really say....it's not out yet and we don't even have an exact release date yet :messenger_grinning_sweat: there is still that chance it might not come out this year but sure if you want to have it win a meaningless award before you ever play it.

:messenger_expressionless:

Markio128

The only thing i can think of, is a double jumping horse. And I'm not even kidding

The rest was there in every Dark Souls

This "Elden Ring innovated and changed the industry" thing is just a gaming media narrarive"
The only thing the horse did for me was highlight, even more, the terrible pop-in on the grass 😂

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Deciding 8 Ball GIF

yamaci17

Holy shit playstation lives rent free on your head. The other day you were saying playstation games are for people with LOW IQ (yes I saw your edit), how sad you are my guy.
i can say the same thing for you, but even worse, going beyond living rent free, starfield literally owned your brain the moment its gameplay was announced

i would suggest you to go to a mental ward, you need it. explain them a game has turned your brain into a zombie brain. no other explanation as to why 7/24 you and your PS mates would shit on it.

its action/reaction my guy. if your folk claim bethesda has no story or bad story yet claim god of cringe has good story, then it means you're just low IQ and need to carry a pig around slowly for 4 minutes and then watch a 5 minutes of mocap cutscene to barely understand a message that story is giving you. its no lie.

i really feel sad for you, it must be hard for you and your relatives. i hope you are in a position to seek some mental help (your avatar tells everything they need to know btw) ignored too, btw. no need to bother and read a psychotic's posts anymore on this forum. lol. you won't able to jab back at me. now go rabid

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think LoZ:BOTW 2 will win praise for doing what it's predecessor did.

But God of War will get ravaged for doing that.

Has happened before.
BOTW 2 has scope for significant improvement over the first game if they introduce true dungeons/temples and more towns/villages. I’d be very surprised if the game is not a significant step up on the first. Does GoW have the same potential, I don’t think so.

Gudji

i can say the same thing for you, but even worse, going beyond living rent free, starfield literally owned your brain the moment its gameplay was announced

i would suggest you to go to a mental ward, you need it. explain them a game has turned your brain into a zombie brain. no other explanation as to why 7/24 you and your PS mates would shit on it.
You're a silly person my guy. I was looking forward starfield and just expected more, its called having standards.

Also I don't spend the my time here shitting on a brand. 🤷‍♂️

its action/reaction my guy. if your folk claim bethesda has no story or bad story yet claim god of cringe has good story, then it means you're just low IQ and need to carry a pig around slowly for 4 minutes and then watch a 5 minutes of mocap cutscene to barely understand a message that story is giving you. its no lie.

i really feel sad for you, it must be hard for you and your relatives. i hope you are in a position to seek some mental help (your avatar tells everything they need to know btw) ignored too, btw. no need to bother and read a psychotic's posts anymore on this forum. lol. you won't able to jab back at me. now go rabid
Seems to me you're the one that needs to seek some help with mental health professionals ASAP. You should read some of your posts, cringe.

Hezekiah

Banned
Even then, I played both Sekiro and Bloodborne on my PS4 even with framerate issues I still think they much better game than GOW(2018).
Sekiro isn't close - animations tied to frame rate which is even more irritating than other From games given the combat style, character inputs which are sometimes missed, horrible camera angles in the heat of combat, some ridiculously cheap bosses, and input reading.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Technical superiority has never been the biggest factor in a game winning the most GoTY awards, so no.

It's probably not gonna matter.

Hezekiah

Banned
Lots of people talking about graphics lol, what about performance which significantly impacts any game, never mind a third-person action RPG.

Every From game I've played has had a crappy frame rate, and Elden Ring sounds no different. If GoW Ragnarok has a consistent frame rate like the last one did of course that plays an impact when assessing the two games.

I think most would agree that Elden Ring represents a paradigm shift for the open world genre.
lol no otherwise it would have happened with BotW.

As for the question, I doubt there's anything that can be added in GoWR that will sway Souls fans from ER in any way. Two different games for people looking for two different experiences.

Oof85

Metroidvania is my favorite genre so if it’s done well I absolutely agree, but I’m not a fan of enemy spawning in and the walls has to be cleverly designed.

Elden Ring is combining open world freedom and exploration with linear legacy dungeons. I don’t see any problem with that. In the dungeons you have classic metroidvania walls in the form of non-functional elevators, too far drops, and bosses, but sometimes you can take alternative routes and go past enemies you see from a far which I think is cool.

GOW2018 is a bit weird since Kratos can swing himself up on a dragon to slay it but still can’t jump over a bit of rubble and need new gear to progress. I hope they rethink how they do walls and let you experiment more how to progress through the world in the sequel.
My biggest issue with the cinematic trend in games.

Things done in qte or cutscenes that are nowhere present in the actual gameplay loop.

Invisible walls/static geometry is something we should be seeing less of, not more of.

What's the point of a beautiful setting if most of it is non-interactive?

Like are we still taking cues from Myst, thirty years later?

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
Just looked up Elden Ring trophy stats and was blown away...

EDIT : 3rd party tracking site WAY off.
<42% Platinum'ed the thing!
Over 50% of players saw at least one ending.>
Real stats:
10.9% Plat
25.2% Finished

Can someone explain how one of the most difficult single player experiences of the year with several million copies sold on this platform got numbers like that?

Based on SOME of the gameplay I've seen online it is difficult to believe these numbers came legitimately.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
BOTW 2 has scope for significant improvement over the first game if they introduce true dungeons/temples and more towns/villages. I’d be very surprised if the game is not a significant step up on the first. Does GoW have the same potential, I don’t think so.
Yeah they did nothing all this time. That's why is taking so long to release.
Some of these takes lol

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah they did nothing all this time. That's why is taking so long to release.
Some of these takes lol
That’s a strange assessment of my take. There’s nothing controversial about thinking that BOTW 2 has much more scope for improvement than GoW.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
no
ragnarok, just like the 2018 gow, will be an above average game, at best

though, it will win, i'm sure of it. just like it happened in 2018. sony cares too much about media attention, they will pour some good money to clinch the goty title for their mediocre game, just like they did against rdr 2

PS studio games can be summed up with = boring and repetitive combat, mocap filled cutscenes, corridor TPS. same formula. every game. works like a charm. how joyful

its really crazy to see such attention these mediocre PS studio games get. all thanks to xbox's incompetence (xbox one being a failed console). ps3 xbox 360 had a more balanced userbase (i think %60-40 or something) and now we have %80 to %20 which creates this anomaly where all media and userbase thinks their games are godmode and no one can think otherwise because then you're taking up arms against a %80 console userbase so they must be right and unchallenged. never in my life i've seen ps3 exclusive games getting this much attention. exact same formula. exact same graphical peak (yes, they also had graphical peak with ps3 games. yet i've never seen so much "attention" to them. exact game stories. exact same gameplay, just with better mocap quality and smoother animations)

god of war 3 had a better change against rdr 1 yet ended up losing. yet somehow gow miraculuously wins over rdr 2. cut the bullshit. ragnarok is already a certified goty. if they cannot influence enough people on the show, they will postpone the release to 2023 so that they can avoid from soft's media influence (that is also a thing)

beating starfield over goty award will be even easier. they will have the full force of their userbase shitting on the game. like they already doing.
Bait GIF

banned ban GIF

Thief1987

Just looked up Elden Ring trophy stats and was blown away...

42% Platinum'ed the thing!
Over 50% of players saw at least one ending.

Can someone explain how one of the most difficult single player experiences of the year with several million copies sold on this platform got numbers like that?

Based on SOME of the gameplay I've seen online it is difficult to believe these numbers came legitimately.
Where did you get these stats lol? It's 10.9 % for plat, and 25.2% for the most common ending.

Last edited:
The next time that anyone wonders, "I feel like Gaf only ever talks about AAA games and the business realities thereof" remember that a thread speculating about GoTY winners not released has twice as much engagement as a thread dedicated to dozens of new demos on Steam.

This thread is like a caricature, a mirror held up to us all.

Anyway, Selaco looks pretty sick. Also, if you're interested in ARPGs and W40K, Inquisitor Martyr is really good. Currently enjoying that one thoroughly.

That’s a strange assessment of my take. There’s nothing controversial about thinking that BOTW 2 has much more scope for improvement than GoW.

Breath of the wild is also more ambitious. So has higher cieling for greatness. It's gonna be limited by time and resources Nintendo is gonna throw at it.

While GOW will need a different approach. Need to balance the bombastic aspect and calm, cool gameplay.

They blew up God of War 3 by putting boss fight after boss fight. Weird pacing.

Shifty

Hypothetically speaking you can draw whatever conclusion you like and have it be just as meaningless as any other baseless speculation.

Which is a lengthy way of saying Dragon's Dogma 2 will drop a surprise early release and smoke the pair of them.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Elden ring is the boogie man and is the joe Biden of gaming it doesn’t represent gaming we know months before god of war ragnarok will win game of the year.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There's like 300 goty awards anyway, so many that it's a meaningless distinction. It's bound to win a couple.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Nah, mate. You could have chosen Boogerman and Ren and Stimpy as your choices and I would have said the same thing. GotY discussions are always pushed by the two types of people I mentioned: Console Warriors and children who need validation for their purchases.

Not to mention that even if the above were not the case, your thread is inherently flawed as one of the two titles is not out yet and literally no one knows it’s quality.

Considering the sequel to a prior GOTY winner is due later this year, I choose to frame my question as follows:

Hypothetically speaking
, if God of War Ragnarok turns out to be the "Perfect Sequel" that doubles down on all of the attributes that made the 2018 game so beloved, while avoiding typical tropes often associated with sequels, would presumed technical superiority be enough to eek out GOTY win over Elden Ring in your opinion?

read drag race GIF by Robert E Blackmon

yurinka

I think GoWR won't win GOTY even if it ends deserving it for whatever reason, because I think PC and MS fanboys, plus other players who only play on PC or Xbox, plus soulborne fans, plus players who will trully believe Elden Ring is Goty will all vote Elden Ring this year. Even some Nintendo fans/fanboys who don't play -at least often- on non-Nintendo platforms if they see there are 2 clear candidates like Elden Ring and GoWR they'll vote the one who is not Sony exclusive. This year they won't have BotW2 to vote it, instead as Nintendo exclusives they'll have different other games that aren't at that level, so their votes will spread and dillute between these other exclusives and Elden Ring.

I think people won't consider technical superiority. Many GOTY winners of previous years had important technical issues or were inferior technically compared to other candidates. When voting for GOTY people votes the game they want to win (in many cases considering what I said above), or the game they think is the best as game, not only technically. If people would vote technical superiority I'd assume other games like Horizon II would go above Elden Ring but that won't happen.

On top of that, I think that if GoWR gets released in November, many awards won't include it in the edition for this year and will move it to next one so it will compete against BotW2 and Starfield instead.

Last edited:

geary

I think GoWR won't win GOTY even if it ends deserving it for whatever reason, because I think PC and MS fanboys, plus other players who only play on PC or Xbox, plus soulborne fans, plus players who will trully believe Elden Ring is Goty will all vote Elden Ring this year. Even some Nintendo fans/fanboys who don't play -at least often- on non-Nintendo platforms if they see there are 2 clear candidates like Elden Ring and GoWR they'll vote the one who is not Sony exclusive. This year they won't have BotW2 to vote it, instead as Nintendo exclusives they'll have different other games that aren't at that level, so their votes will spread and dillute between these other exclusives and Elden Ring.

I think people won't consider technical superiority. Many GOTY winners of previous years had important technical issues or were inferior technically compared to other candidates. When voting for GOTY people votes the game they want to win (in many cases considering what I said above), or the game they think is the best as game, not only technically. If people would vote technical superiority I'd assume other games like Horizon II would go above Elden Ring but that won't happen.

On top of that, I think that if GoWR gets released in November, many awards won't include it in the edition for this year and will move it to next one so it will compete against BotW2 and Starfield instead.
Ohhh…so if GoW doesnt win is a conspiracy agains PS and if wins is because this is how should be.

If its just a polished GoW 2018 like HFW is a more polished HZD should not win.

Top Bottom