• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Ps5 do quick resume if Sony desired it to?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My point is that quick resume is hard to find. It would be better for me to buy multiple Series X and have standby for each family member than to try and hope for quick resume to be available.

And my point is that ive had lots of use from quick resume , its a great feature.

This sentiment is echoed from the majority of series owners on the internet.

Banned
The way that snapshots usually work on VM software is that memory contents are written to disk in two separate files. One of these files is the full memory map that gets written to disk, say, once every 10 minutes. And when you take a snapshot then the second file only contains the changes made since the first file was created and is usually far, far smaller.

The Xbox could, for example, write the full memory map to disk on each level load. If you then decide to switch games in the middle of the level then it would only need to write out whatever has changed since the last full memory write.

could be but I don't know how viable that is in modern games where data is constantly streamed in and out of memory.
you would update the file constantly almost

Last edited:

Hoddi

could be but I don't know how viable that is in modern games where data is constantly streamed in and out of memory.
you would update the file constantly almost
That's true. They might not store GPU memory though but simply load that as needed from disk.

yurinka

Because it takes very little power to leave data in memory.

Ask yourself how quick resume works on 5400 RPM HDDs of the PS4/Xbox One era.... and you will understand, it's just leaving the data in RAM lol (it would take like a full minute to write to disk/read from disk every time you went to "quick resume")
I said PS5, not PS4.

PS5:
  • Rest (low power use setting): 0.3 W
  • Rest (Supply Power to USB Ports): 3.7 W
  • Rest (Stay Connected to the Internet): 1.0 W
  • Rest (All): 3.7 W
PS4 Pro:
  • Rest (Keep Application Suspended): 1.7 W
  • Rest (Supply Power to USB Ports): 5.0 W
  • Rest (Stay Connected to the Internet): 1.0 W
  • Rest (All): 6.4 W
Base PS4:
  • Rest (Keep Application Suspended): 4.0 W
  • Rest (Supply Power to USB Ports): 6.3 W
  • Rest (Stay Connected to the Internet): 2.7 W
  • Rest (All): 7.8 W

PS5 consumes noticiably less than PS4 Pro in rest mode, so it's fair to think that in addition to using more modern chips that require less power, while in rest mode PS5 switches off more stuff. I also forgot to mention that PS5 needs several seconds to boot from stand by mode, which is compatible to dumping back the suspended game data from the SSD to the memory.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I said PS5, not PS4.

I know you did; I was simply saying rest modes have never written to the hard drive the RAM. They just pause the game, and keep the data in memory.

Sony didn't completely re-write how their rest mode works just to save a few watts in it.

Otherwise, they could just... let you turn the thing off, unplug it, etc. and still re-load the same point of the game. Which is what XBox does/can do.

odhiex

I think it will come someday by a future firmware update.

The PS5 is already has that (pointless) switcher tab thingy as the shortcuts.

FrankWza

This sentiment is echoed from the majority of series owners on the internet.
al pacino scarface GIF

RCU005

Serious question: Who uses quick resume and how do you use it?

I personally find it useless because I don't mind at all close the game. I wouldn't leave any game open (except for certain exceptions), but definitely not more than one game.

So as someone who doesn't need it and wouldn't use it, I would like to understand what is the actual use for Quick Resume or which benefits does it bring?

Last edited:
Got excited for a good list (one that was being kept updated) but that seems to be out of date by quite a bit of time.

I am also interesting in seeing how activity cards and game help clips are being supported on the ps5.
Have any been off the list and added later?
I can only really go on my own experience in this house. But It's simply not available on the games we play. Farcry 6 is the first time I've first hand seen issues with stuttering after quick resuming.
Sony could Today flip a switch and say "Hey quick resume is available". But I would just eye roll it as a bullet point.
There seems to be a criteria that needs to be met for it to work at all. If Developers don't meet whatever is needed then it's not available. It's not an across the board works for everything implementation.
Maybe Sony can do a better job getting developers to get it to work. But I think Microsoft has giving up on it. They put out a list of what is needed and hope for the best.
This issue just rubs me the wrong way.

yurinka

I know you did; I was simply saying rest modes have never written to the hard drive the RAM. They just pause the game, and keep the data in memory.

Sony didn't completely re-write how their rest mode works just to save a few watts in it.

Otherwise, they could just... let you turn the thing off, unplug it, etc. and still re-load the same point of the game. Which is what XBox does/can do.
Ok. Again, why does it take that long (even longer than what it takes to load a game) to boot from stand by if they have everything in the memory and why does it consume so little power while in stand by?

Last edited:

FritzJ92

it is possible to implement, but it would require a whole new system to be implemented into their OS and it would require them to take away additional SSD space to be reserved for quick resume states.
the former is not realistic because it would take time and money that might not really result in a gain in revenue.
the latter is not realistic because the PS5 already has a really small amount of free space on the SSD. and adding that would mean at least 60 to 80 GiB of space gone to be on the level of the feature on Xbox
Maybe not that much. They could do it on a limited scale with 3 PS5 games. That’s about 40 gigs and I’m not sure all games take up all Ram anyways

Pull n Pray

Banned
It takes basically no time to load games cold to in-game on PS5.
It's on last gen games that are installed on a traditional HDD where quick resume really shines. You can load up Read Dead 2 in a few seconds instead of 2 1/2 minutes.
Technically speaking, quick resume is hardware related right? Does the XSX and SX have internal hardware that the Ps5 doesn't have? They both have SSD's with Sony's being the superior from what I understand so what is stopping them from implementing this awesome feature.
It's an operating system feature, and so I think the PS5 could probably do it. But it might require a tremendous amount of work to implement.

93xfan

Banned
Serious question: Who uses quick resume and how do you use it?

I personally find it useless because I don't mind at all close the game. I wouldn't leave any game open (except for certain exceptions), but definitely not more than one game.

So as someone who doesn't need it and wouldn't use it, I would like to understand what is the actual use for Quick Resume or which benefits does it bring?

It’s great if you’re feeling like talking a break from any game. You don’t feel like you’re forced to reach the next check point.

Want to play that new Gamepass game that just finished downloading? No need to quit your current game for a game you may not want to play

it is possible to implement, but it would require a whole new system to be implemented into their OS and it would require them to take away additional SSD space to be reserved for quick resume states.
the former is not realistic because it would take time and money that might not really result in a gain in revenue.
the latter is not realistic because the PS5 already has a really small amount of free space on the SSD. and adding that would mean at least 60 to 80 GiB of space gone to be on the level of the feature on Xbox
Took Sony almost a year to add in basic functionality to their ui and they are still missing basic things like folders so I don’t have hope for something like wick resume

would much rather vrr or 1440p support

Metnut

What’s the advantage that quick resume has that PS5 doesn’t?

I can pause a PS5 game and come back to it days later and start right where I left off with zero load time. I can use my PS5 to watch NHL, MLB or HBO and still go bad to my game and start again where I left off with zero load time.

Is the only quick resume advantage to do this same thing with more than one game?

reksveks

Have any been off the list and added later?
Hades I am pretty confident didn't have quick resume at launch but does now.

There seems to be a criteria that needs to be met for it to work at all. If Developers don't meet whatever is needed then it's not available. It's not an across the board works for everything implementation.
Maybe Sony can do a better job getting developers to get it to work. But I think Microsoft has giving up on it. They put out a list of what is needed and hope for the best.
This issue just rubs me the wrong way.
Think that's true for other next gen features like activity cards as well. Fundamentally it's always going to have to be dev led.

The fact that it isn't supported all the time is a slight annoyance for me as well.

//DEVIL//

from a system level yes they could. The problem is the game it self needs to support it. which Is why not 100% of the games on Xbox have it. ( IF i m not mistaken )

also, knowing Sony... you will not see it.

It takes basically no time to load games cold to in-game on PS5.
clearly you dont own an xbox series x because quick resume takes 5-7 seconds to literally load you into a game mid whatever you left it as, simple as that. and you can do that to 4 other games all at once

try loading up a third party title on ps5 every time and see how long that takes you to actually start gameplay

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Ok. Again, why does it take that long (even longer than what it takes to load a game) to boot from stand by if they have everything in the memory and why does it consume so little power while in stand by?
Because the OS itself is a bunch of individually running services; when put into rest mode those services are shut down to a bare minimum, but then have to be restarted.

Same reason it takes a while to boot the OS from scratch w/o any game running.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m no tech expert, but I’m fairly sure Sony could make a similar solution if they wanted to. From what I understand it does eat quite a bit of the SSD space though so that might be a problem.

I’d love it if they added it. Quick resume is my favorite OS-related thing about the Series X.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'd like them to add features to the dashboard first. It sure is a barren place.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What’s the advantage that quick resume has that PS5 doesn’t?

I can pause a PS5 game and come back to it days later and start right where I left off with zero load time. I can use my PS5 to watch NHL, MLB or HBO and still go bad to my game and start again where I left off with zero load time.

Is the only quick resume advantage to do this same thing with more than one game?

You can do that with multiple games and i always seem to have about 5 in my quick resume que, you have control of the games in your que, you can take them off the quebif u wish.

And you can pull out the power cable from you series console and when u switch it back on the games Will still be in the que ready to resume where u left off in seconds.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Could their software engineers? You would hope so.

Do they want to make their smaller then Xbox hdd even smaller again? Doubtful.

I love the feature but we won’t see it.

Mr Moose

Probably, save state to SSD like putting your PC into sleep but with games.

well I am correct... or can you tell me where I'm wrong here?
Does the Series S have quick resume? If so, this part is irrelevant: the latter is not realistic because the PS5 already has a really small amount of free space on the SSD.

Larlight

I don't need 5 games like the Xbox has it to be in Quick Resume. I would love just to be able to have 2 games I can switch between.

reksveks

Does the Series S have quick resume? If so, this part is irrelevant: the latter is not realistic because the PS5 already has a really small amount of free space on the SSD.
It's generally a smaller cache of stored games but the series s does. One thing to account for is that the series s has a smaller memory pool.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It's generally a smaller cache of stored games but the series s does. One thing to account for is that the series s has always smaller memory pool.
What's the max limit of quick-resume games? Sony could do maybe 2-3 and still have plenty of space, though it's not really a feature I'd turn on/use.

MonarchJT

Banned
this

jakinov

They could but if I were Sony it wouldn't be a priority. It's probably not useful for most people espcially if you playing online games. It's nice to have but it' needs to be faster and actually let you do real multi tasking with an online game. E.g. I can be matchmaking in one game while I play Hades. People probably aren't buying multiple games at once and switching between them a bunch of times.

SSfox

Useless feature, even more considering the almost inexistent time to quit and load a new game.

Rather than wasting their time in this, full BC in other hand is something they need to seriously consider.

Last edited:

tommib

If it's because of quick resume that my Series X chokes on itself trying to access the quick menu and the OS feels sluggish as hell I'd rather not have it.
It's cool when it works, but it also fails a lot.
I would say that on my S it fails like half of the time. I have to restart games from scratch because of some frame rate issues after quick resume or some bug that makes the game crash. It's far from perfect but when it works and you don't even think about it it's amazing.

Duchess

From a high level perspective, it's really just a matter of dumping the current contents of the RAM to the SSD, and then reading it all back in when you're starting up again.

It'll get more complicated than that, but I suppose that's the basic principle.

(I think this is what emulators do with snapshots..?)

The Shepard

I have both xsx and ps5. Give no shits about this.

Same here, doesn't always work properly for me so I always just end up leaving game after a save point anyway because I don't trust it. The ps5 loads so fast into a game that it's not really needed. I'd prefer a save anywhere feature like what returnal got in a update recently over this.

I think they could, but it would cost them time + money without profit. To me it's the only true next gen feature. Some may say it's unnecessary. But i think it's that kind of small luxury many people get used to quickly and don't want to miss anymore. Like keyless entry to your car or a heated steering wheel.

What games would you quick resume from? The last game out was Ratchet 6 months ago.
It's not just 1st party games.

odhiex

Any of you guys seriously think that Sony will stop adding features to the PS5 over its lifespan?

It's the same thing happened to any consoles/devices, particularly when they are connected to the internet. XBOX 360/One had several UI overhauls over the years.

Of course, anything is "possible" and "realistic".

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Any of you guys seriously think that Sony will stop adding features to the PS5 over its lifespan?

It's the same thing happened to any consoles/devices, particularly when they are connected to the internet. XBOX 360/One had several UI overhauls over the years.

Of course, anything is "possible" and "realistic".
And then it will be the best thing since sliced bread, even if it's on par with the reliability of QR on Xbox.

Top Bottom