• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Ps5 do quick resume if Sony desired it to?

FrankWza

The shoe was damn near custom made for you.
Mark Cernys fault. He got me used to custom I/O and architecture.
Fresh Legs Running GIF by Custom Performance

Akuji

Yeah obviously the ram gets copied to the ssd and then loaded back into the ram again. So it would eat at ssd storage IF used. If it is not then you can usw the space in anpther way. So you could make the User choose. Also this method is way old. My old snes emulators had save states over a decade ago.

So can Sony Do it? Yes, obviously.
Why dont they? They probably have enough other Features for the System that are higher on the priority list.

Should they have it? Depends what the other Features are that would be postponed for the time this feature needs development. Would the console be better if it hat this optional feature? Absolutly. Iam not the Kind of Player that would use it but give the people who want it the option to use it.

Is it an important feature? For me personally, no. But many love it so theres a good Chance it will come in the future imo.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And then it will be the best thing since sliced bread, even if it's on par with the reliability of QR on Xbox.
You mean like game sub services and streaming games now? Or how single player story driven games will also be the rage boner soon too after almost a decade of hand waving?

We can do this all day. That's how lame the great war back and forth is. Hell, the uncle Phil #MeToo's Bobby Kotick thread had enough primates showing their pink asses :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is what I mean, but all the ignorants that just put a LOL emoji on my post will continue to be ignorant.
But now imagine you didn't need to go to a card and you could load into ratchet exactly where you left it, then jump into a run in returnal, play for a bit then go into miles morales where you were, then into demons souls mid run...etc....and back to ghosts.

I currently have psychonauts 2, a mid run mission on gears tactics (criminally under rated game) forza 5, halo multiplayer, it takes two, red dead 2 in the wilderness for my daughter to ride the horse and more in quick resume.

I don't even think about it. I just click a game and it usually has a quick resume where I just continue. It's a brilliant feature that you don't have to think about when you are using it.

I hope Sony adds it.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
You mean like game sub services and streaming games now? Or how single player story driven games will also be the rage boner soon too after almost a decade of hand waving?

We can do this all day. That's how lame the great war back and forth is. Hell, the uncle Phil #MeToo's Bobby Kotick thread had enough primates showing their pink asses :pie_roffles:
And what the fuck do you know you've only just had your Ps5.
Here's my quote from the thread about Xbox being able to stream games to Xbox consoles.
This is great on Ps Now they've had it for years. I used it for checking out games, glad its on on Xbox now.
The war is in your head you prick.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And what the fuck do you know you've only just had your Ps5.
WTF does this have to do with my comment? We are talking hypocritical console war narratives, innit?

So why even bring it up then? Other than to have argumentative tripe?

I'm proud of you, bby boi, but we are talking about the overall narratives, as you were blanketing... but since you took in personally, IDK what to tell you.

Last edited:

FrankWza

excited hell yeah GIF

saintjules

Supposedly iit was a feature that was coming in the future according to some rumors before launch. Probably no longer?

KjZtGNx.jpg

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
WTF does this have to do with my comment? We are talking hypocritical console war narratives, innit?

So why even bring it up then? Other than to have argumentative tripe?

I'm proud of you, bby boi, but we are talking about the overall narratives, as you were blanketing... but since you took in personally, IDK what to tell you.
Your right regarding the blanket. I read it wrong (I've had a drink earlier than normal) I take back the prick comment I apologize . I've been the prick. Got a bit frustrated by people who appear to have no experience of it who don't have both. Why would anyone turn down the option if you don't have to use it baffles me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Supposedly iit was a feature that was coming in the future according to some rumors before launch. Probably no longer?

KjZtGNx.jpg

Again, not quite sure how it'd work on the PS5. They're able to do it on the Xbox because the way the system (since the Xbox One) uses virtualization for games. They're basically just checking the suspend box on a VM to suspend it. PlayStation games aren't running as a VM.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Your right regarding the blanket. I read it wrong (I've had a drink earlier than normal) I take back the prick comment I apologize . I've been the prick. Got a bit frustrated by people who appear to have no experience of it who don't have both. Why would anyone turn down the option if you don't have to use it baffles me.
All good bro, we all passionate gamers in the end, otherwise we would not be here on Gaf. And I agree with you.
Friendship Reaction GIF

Kokoloko85

I dont know why anyone wouldnt want this feature or at least the option being available.

PS5 doesnt have this feature, yes it loads your games super quick and sometimes skips the intro’s but alot of the time it doesnt either. And you can’t just jump into a game you were playing before at the exact time.

Its like the only feature Id like from Xbox. Even if its for 2-3 games. I like to jump into my session on everybody’s gold or Driveclub etc quick time and the loading turn me off from playing a quick match or 2.

cireza

As an Xbox player, here is what I think : Quick Resume is a waste of SSD space. I wish we could removed it and get back the storage space that is lost for this feature. Games take 5 seconds to boot. Quick resume is utterly useless. I also had glitches because of it.

Last edited:

saintjules

Again, not quite sure how it'd work on the PS5. They're able to do it on the Xbox because the way the system (since the Xbox One) uses virtualization for games. They're basically just checking the suspend box on a VM to suspend it. PlayStation games aren't running as a VM.

I was looking at the switcher feature between two games in the menus earlier.

I know I'm not looking at it more on a technological level, but it feels like it could have been possible under switcher in some way. Why not just go to "home" and select a game at the top versus the switcher then?

tejJ8ll.jpg

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was looking at the switcher feature between two games in the menus earlier.

I know I'm not looking at it more on a technological level, but it feels like it could have been possible under switcher in some way. Why not just go to "home" and select a game at the top versus the switcher then?

tejJ8ll.jpg

Those aren't suspended games. It's basically a history, the Xbox does the same thing on the guide. Again, the feature works on the Xbox because each game is a VM in suspended state when they're in Quick Resume.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yes but why ?
I don't understand this playstyle... you really must jump from 1 game to another in an instant ?
Not only playing multiple games at the same time but also having them accessible in 1 second? why

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Those aren't suspended games. It's basically a history, the Xbox does the same thing on the guide. Again, the feature works on the Xbox because each game is a VM in suspended state when they're in Quick Resume.

Yes, it's not, but it's groundwork with a UI element already in place for something that is supposedly in the works and has been prior to launch. Matt knows his shit.

If it comes, then great, it will probably be tied into their compression and decompression tech, if not, then it doesn't.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

Are you all just bored today? Got nothing to do other than argue about a few seconds difference in loading times of a video game?

i spent more time ”waiting” on a game to load having to get up and go over to my Nintendo or sega to switch out cartridges…

Just enjoy the capabilities of both consoles…

I think some here would argue over the directional shift in the wind when a gnat farts… :)

Last edited:

GHG

Lol addicted

Well it's either that or you're severely impatient.

Take your pick.

Well it's not just for the quick load of the game, it's also like a save state.

I know, it's just that the 10-20 seconds it takes for me to exit a game and then load into a new one isn't a big deal at all. It's also very rare that I'll juggle more than one game in a single evening.

I know, it's just that the 10-20 seconds it takes for me to exit a game and then load into a new one isn't a big deal at all. It's also very rare that I'll juggle more than one game in a single evening.
I know it's hard to imagine, but people have different play styles. Just because you do it your way, doesn't mean that there aren't a bunch of people that enjoy their gaming time differently.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really jump from game to game that much. In the last month or so I've been playing literally only Ghost of Tsushima, 84 hours of it (I'm now at 100% completion). And that's how it usually is, I focus on one game at a time. And if I DO want to play one game one day and another the next, the 30 seconds I lose from having to switch makes no difference in my life.

Corndog

Banned
As others stated, it's a useless feature now that games load in a few seconds anyway and save state nearly constantly and instantly. I never thought "wow I lost 2 seconds loading this game". Especially with activity cards removing splash screens. That's the feature Xbox should copy.

Those save states would have been great in PS3 era though.
Please can we keep the obvious console wars out of here. If you don’t like the feature fine.

Corndog

Banned
As an Xbox player, here is what I think : Quick Resume is a waste of SSD space. I wish we could removed it and get back the storage space that is lost for this feature. Games take 5 seconds to boot. Quick resume is utterly useless. I also had glitches because of it.
Might be good to make it optional if you don’t want it to gain back ssd space.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don’t notice any missing SSD space with Quick Resume.

cireza

I don’t notice any missing SSD space with Quick Resume.
My Series X certainly did not come with 1 full TB of data available. You can be sure that a lot of space is being reserved to hold the memory dumps of all the games that are in quick resume.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
My Series X certainly did not come with 1 full TB of data available.
No partitioned HDD does.

The XSX has 802 after the drive is formatted with a partition for the OS (there are actually two partitions on modern Xboxes). The PS5 has 667 available.

The HDD size after formatting doesn’t have anything to do with Quick Resume.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Yep this is the main reason, no Hypervisor

cireza

The HDD size after formatting doesn’t have anything to do with Quick Resume.
Quick Resume has reserved space, accounted in the OS space. The data has to be stored somewhere... The console has 16 GB of ram, so whenever you put a game in Quick Resume, all of its RAM has to be dumped on the SSD. Let's suppose that some RAM is reserved for the OS, you are still probably dumping at least 12 GB. If Quick Resume allows for five games at once, then that's 12 x 5 GB that are reserved for the feature = 60 GB. Accounted for in the 200 GB used by the OS, obviously.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

This list is incomplete. Quick Resume works in Forza Horizon 2 for example yet it is nowhere to be found there.

Quick Resume is easily the best next-gen feature.
Yeah

And who the fuck made this list ? Almost everything is wrong on the list, for exemple some games I played and that ARE 100% quick resume compatible (I just bothered trying back each of them to be sure) and are said to be NOT compatible in the list :
Far Cry 5
Halo MCC
Doom
FFXV
FFX Remastered
FFXII
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Resident Evil VII
Watch Dogs Legion

So wtf ? Is it made by "Sony4ever&fuckMS.com" ?
It's just some of the games I typed, to be honest NONE OF THE GAME that I've searched are said to be compatible except that they're in fact ALL compatible.

After a year of XSX usage, 95% of the games (all : XS, Xbox One, 360, OG) are compatible, so come on, don't spread fake informations.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Quick Resume has reserved space, accounted in the OS space. The data has to be stored somewhere...

Even if it is, then it's a finite amount of reserved space. The XSX OS takes up about 198GB (thus the 802 usable) while the PS5 OS is about 152GB. XSX runs on Win10 Core, while the PS5 OS is Linux-based.

It's not like it's eating up your SSD with an ever increasing mystery "OTHER" folder that has 50GB of data that you can't see or delete.

200.gif

Last edited:

cireza

It's not like it's eating up your SSD with an ever increasing mystery "OTHER" folder that has 50GB of data that you can't see or delete.
This is not what I was saying, and this OTHER folder is quite a joke indeed.

I added a few explanation in my previous post. A quick raw estimate of what can be reserved for Quick Resume. Probably around 50 GB in my opinion.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Probably the same way the PS4/5 are able to suspend games, only for several games at once? Just write everything in RAM to the SSD. I don't see why that couldn't be done.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Probably the same way the PS4/5 are able to suspend games? Just write everything in RAM to the SSD. I don't see why that couldn't be done.
The PS4/PS5 are able to suspend 1 game because it's what's currently loaded into memory, it's not being written onto the SSD.

Aenima

Games that have a gamecard to resume a game from the last save, lets you cold boot a game by bypassing all loading screans and go straight to your game. Its a cold boot that takes about 8 seconts to go from the console OS to ingame.
I dont really see a need for a quick resume feature. What i would like to see was ALL games using the gamecard system to let you resume your game since not all games use that feauture to launch the game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Games that have a gamecard to resume a game from the last save, lets you cold boot a game by bypassing all loading screans and go straight to your game. Its a cold boot that takes about 8 seconts to go from the console OS to ingame.
I dont really see a need for a quick resume feature. What i would like to see was ALL games using the gamecard system to let you resume your game since not all games use that feauture to launch the game.
Are there cards that take you to exactly where you were when you stopped playing, yet? That's the one thing I like about quick resume. I go right back to the spot I was in and don't lose progression since the last save. All of my games on PS5 just take me to a predetermined loading point, which is ok, but not quite the same.

Quezacolt

if sure it could, but honestly, with how premium SSD's space is, i dont see why bother with that. do people really want to sacrifice 100's of GB's just for a quick resume? the new console's loadings are already so fast anyway, or maybe i just don't see a point in this, because i dont change between 3 or more games constantly. I usually focus on one game at a time.

Tripolygon

Banned
Why does it need it?
Because quick resume is a system-level game save state. While on PS5 developers need to actually implement on a game-by-game basis the activity card feature. That is why some games can load pretty fast and others don't. I think Sony can implement quick resume if they want and it would be easy. They already have the game switcher UI for game switching already which I incorrectly assumed would do the same thing. They just now need to dump the RAM into the SSD.

Aenima

Are there cards that take you to exactly where you were when you stopped playing, yet? That's the one thing I like about quick resume. I go right back to the spot I was in and don't lose progression since the last save. All of my games on PS5 just take me to a predetermined loading point, which is ok, but not quite the same.
No, the cards take you to the last save. Is like loading a save from the console OS with the game turned off. Some games like Spider-Man can use the cards to take u to especific locations in the game, for example in spider man you can select a card to take u to a NPC to start side missions, or in the case of games like Astro Playroom thers multiple cards that let you select diferent levels and boot the game from the start of the level u select from the card.

The resuming a game from the place u are without saving works only when u put the console in rest mode and then resume back to the game. But i dont really see a need for Sony to implement a system like quick resume for multiple games, when the cards can be used to cold boot games fast and can even take u to diferent places.

Even without any cards, cold booting a game is pretty fast with the SSDs, so while quick resume is a cool feauture is not really something that i find its needed, especially if it needs to eat up SSD space.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Bro, my ps5 got issues even with Rest Mode. VRR is still not even introduced into the console and you're asking for a new feature?

While it's a nice feature, i never have used it, and i would never notice if they stopped doing it. I feel old school but i always close app when I'm done and never feel comfortable leaving a game in resume.

Tripolygon

Banned
You are talking about a hypervisor, all consoles use a hypervisor to segregate games and apps from the main system. It's a layer of security. PS4 for instance has 2 operating systems running simultaneously, one runs in the Southbridge and pretty much controls access to the GPU and other systems devices, and is also in charge of low power mode operations when the system is in standby mode.

Top Bottom