• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Ps5 do quick resume if Sony desired it to?

FrankWza

I could take my Xbox, unplug it, pack it away in the attic for years, and then plug it back in and resume exactly where I was.
goodfellas GIF

I am confused how the PS5 doesn’t allow this. It only allows one games and one app like YouTube etc to run at the same time which I am at least happy to have when using my PS5. But it feels so limited.

I love quick resume on Series consoles. I have a Series X. Having quick resume save your spot even when you take the disc out and play another game disc and then go back it will quick resume back to where you left off.

All of this has been fantastic for all the game discs I’ve been using again with the added BC games. The FEAR and Max Payne trilogies being the first ones I’ve played so far.

Add at least a few games that can have their states saved or something on PS5. I’ll take 5 to start Sony please!

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
That's what stand-by does too. The only difference is if you're playing several different games and swapping between them before you can even bother saving your game. Only crazy people game like that.
Nope. Wrong. A lot of ppl do that, myself included. No splash screens on xsx. Gotta deal with that on ps5 though. Hopefully ps5 gets quick resume so you all can understand

Lognor

Banned
Yeap and like I said it is around the same time.

BTW PS5 can do that with Suspend/Resume like you described but because the time between turn on the console, launch the game and start to play is fast it makes the Suspend/Resume not a big deal.
No. It is a big deal. You gotta sit through all those splash screens and you have to find a save point before turning your console off. Not with quick resume. And that's why it's the best new feature this gen

ethomaz

Banned
No. It is a big deal. You gotta sit through all those splash screens and you have to find a save point before turning your console off. Not with quick resume. And that's why it's the best new feature this gen
Seems like you don’t play PS5 games… there is no splash screen… just the first time.

Like I said it is useless… I don’t see use… I can start and get into gameplay very fast.

Last edited:

sainraja

the one thing I don’t get about this is, why would you do more button presses to quit a game that holds no benefit?

you can literally press the guide button and just choose destiny 2 then jump back to FH5 when you want. theres no need to do the extra presses to force shutdown a game on Xbox.
makes no sense to me, but you do you :)
I understand the benefits that the feature provides and I haven't said anything bad about it (regardless of what the spin doctors try to say) — I've only stated my opinion based on my own usage; if it was something I could not live without on the PS5, I would have said so since I can compare my experience across both systems. But the thing is, given how I tend to play games, it's just never been something I relied on heavily. I've also stated that I do find the feature useful in certain situations and in those cases the PS5 is also serviceable. I've had to go run an errand and been able leave Ghost running in the background and I've also done it on the Xbox Series in a similar situation. I've already said this but majority of the time I am playing something, I will quit the game once I am done; in a way to end my gaming session. I really can't understand why anyone would have a problem with this unless they are reading all this with the console war framework they just can't let go of.

Yeah, I just don't understand why you wouldnt use it. The OS is already built around it, its allocating the space for it anyway and its more button presses to not use it. It's literally a negative to not use it.

I think it's an amazing feature and I just don't even think about it now. It's a god send if you have multiple people using your Xbox too.

It can't be too hard to train yourself out of choosing quit game, I mean....I don't think i ever did that having an xbox I would always just press the guide button and choose another game I think?
It's really not been a problem for me to quit out of a game. When I usually do this, I also browse the system, check the store for any new stuff, check who is online — check the Game Pass page. It's honestly not an issue and I don't understand why some people can't understand this. I like to literally end my gaming session by quitting out of a game.

Also, I know this will seem odd to some here, in most games that allow it, I will always manually save before "quitting" out of the game even though I can see the game auto-saved. Now I'd like to see the how the spin doctors spin this to say what I am downplaying but in this scenario, their console war framework isn't going to help them (I hope!).

Point is, given how automatic it is for me, I'd have to remind myself to not quit lol and trust me in the beginning when I got the XSX, I tried doing that.

Last edited:

sainraja

That is in fact one of many uses it has. What’s interesting is being so stupidly in love with a corporation that you’d downplay an amazing feature.
Or the opposite, people being so stupidly in love with a corporation that they can't understand why others might not find a feature as useful as them.

I will say this once more, if Sony were to announce that starting tomorrow, people can put 2-3 games in rest mode (or switch between all the running apps)** instead of just 1 and start where they left off, no one is going to fight it. They are going to welcome it. It's a nice to have feature that provides others with flexibility that they might want or need. For some of us though, that's not the case. Is this really so hard to understand.

** edited for clarity

Last edited:

khakimzhan

I heard so many times that you don’t have splash screens on PS5 (only first time), but I do see them all the time! Is it because I turn my PS5 fully off?

sainraja

I heard so many times that you don’t have splash screens on PS5 (only first time), but I do see them all the time! Is it because I turn my PS5 fully off?
Yeah, if you do a full shutdown instead of rest mode then it will close out of any running applications. If you had put the system in rest mode (even after navigating to the menu without closing the app that is running) you will be brought back to the exact point you left the game at. You just can't do this with multiple games or with the system fully shutdown on the PS5 (something the XSX does allow.)

Last edited:
Nope. Wrong. A lot of ppl do that, myself included. No splash screens on xsx. Gotta deal with that on ps5 though. Hopefully ps5 gets quick resume so you all can understand
Understand what? I own a Series X. Had it since launch and use it almost as much as my PS5. But quick resume is a do nothing feature for me, as I don’t ever stop playing a game without saving and start playing other things.

If that's how you game, fine, but it doesn't make sense to me. Sony spending resources toward something like this seems like a complete waste imo.

Jaysen

Banned
Or the opposite, people being so stupidly in love with a corporation that they can't understand why others might not find a feature as useful as them.

I will say this once more, if Sony were to announce that starting tomorrow, people can put 2-3 games in rest mode instead of just 1 and start where they left off, no one is going to fight it. They are going to welcome it. It's a nice to have feature that provides others with flexibility that they might want or need. For some of us though, that's not the case. Is this really so hard to understand.
Who has a problem with people understanding what it is and still not liking it? The problem is when idiots misrepresent what it is because their lives are dedicated to worshipping a different corporation. The minute someone says they don’t need QR because their games load quickly is the minute you know they don’t know what QR is.

Last edited:

reksveks

Seems like you don’t play PS5 games… there is no splash screen… just the first time.

I also thought that it was on a game by game basis where a game could remember not to show the splash screen after the first launch.

Who has a problem with people understanding what it is and still not liking it? The problem is when idiots misrepresent what it is because their lives are dedicated to worshipping a different corporation. The minute someone says they don’t need QR because their games load quickly is the minute you know they don’t know what QR is.
You sure seem more invested in your corporation than any one else here on either side.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, if you do a full shutdown instead of rest mode then it will close out of any running applications. If you had put the system in rest mode (even after navigating to the menu without closing the app that is running) you will be brought back to the exact point you left the game at. You just can't do this with multiple games or with the system fully shutdown on the PS5 (something the XSX does allow.)

That's not what he's talking about. Many (most?) proper PS5 games only show splash screens (company logos etc) the first time you boot the game, any time after that it's just straight to the main menu very quickly (except when the game has been updated, I've noticed). And I don't mean when using suspend and resume, I mean when fully quitting out of the game, shutting the PS5 off, etc.

Not all games behave this way, but 1st party releases definitely do.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
That's not what he's talking about. Many (most?) proper PS5 games only show splash screens (company logos etc) the first time you boot the game, any time after that it's just straight to the main menu very quickly (except when the game has been updated, I've noticed). And I don't mean when using suspend and resume, I mean when fully quitting out of the game, shutting the PS5 off, etc.

Not sure what you mean, but every first party Sony game I own shows me quick splash screens every single time. It’s not an issue at all. It’s definitely not a good alternative to what Quick Resume offers, and QR is not an alternative to PS5’s card system.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not sure what you mean, but every first party Sony game I own shows me quick splash screens every single time. It’s not an issue at all. It’s definitely not a good alternative to what Quick Resume offers, and QR is not an alternative to PS5’s card system.

There's the main game splash that's shown for like a second, yes, but not the PlayStation Studios intro etc. That's skipped after the first time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Every single time I start Demons Souls or Returnal, I see the PS Studios splash screen.

Pretty sure I didn't with DeS, haven't played Returnal. I KNOW I didn't with Ghost of Tsushima (PS5 version), as I just finished playing that. The only time that stuff was shown was after the game was updated, otherwise it was always straight to the main menu.

(I might be lying about DeS, I don't actually remember.)

Last edited:

sainraja

If that is the case, I haven't really noticed. I'll have to look out for it but I know I have recently started playing Sackboy Adventure and it showed the PS Studios logo (I was able to skip it, however); I will keep an eye out next time I play and see if I see that or not.

EDIT
Pretty sure I didn't with DeS, haven't played Returnal. I KNOW I didn't with Ghost of Tsushima (PS5 version), as I just finished playing that. The only time that stuff was shown was after the game was updated, otherwise it was always straight to the main menu.

(I might be lying about DeS, I don't actually remember.)
I think Ghost shows it because the way it does the intro is actually pretty cool (I think we get some feedback in the Dualsense too which is what I find cool.)
Out of curiosity, how do you launch into games on the PS5? Depending on what you choose or how you launch, could explain why you don't see it but from what I recall from Ghost, I've seen that each time.

EDIT
If someone is misrepresenting something, they can easily be corrected. When someone is unwilling to respect your opinion when you try to explain it over and over again, it just gets old fast.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Dev can choose to show it all the time.

Every single time I start Demons Souls or Returnal, I see the PS Studios splash screen.
I need to check Returnal but Demon’s Souls only shows splash screen logs the first time… it is the game that people start to see the features… Miles Morales just show the first time too.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
As a test, I decided to see how long it would take to switch games in both consoles. On XSX, I'll start with Forza Horizon 5 switch to A Plague Tale and then back to Forza Horizon 5. On PS5, I'll switch from Ratchet and Clank to A Plague Tale and back to Ratchet and Clank. None of these games are already loaded. Not a perfect test as I don't have the same games on each console except for A Plague Tale.

XSX Total time: 1:30.23
PS5 Total time: 2:02:89

But what part of that is just going from one game to another after the games have been loaded into Quick Resume. It took 16.72 seconds to jump from Forza Horizon 5 to A Plague Tale. And about 16.08 seconds to go back to Forza Horizon 5 from A Plague Tale.

Going from Ratchet and Clank to A Plague Tale took 54.44 seconds. From The Plague Tale to Ratchet and Clank took 19.96 seconds. So games optimized for PS5 SSD make a huge difference, but still slower than games that are already loaded in Quick Resume.

Of course, the other QR advantage is that the PS games will restart from the last save game or checkpoint. XSX games will restart exactly where you left off. That's probably the more important advantage, but only for those who switched games quite a bit.

For the record, I did have to wait through splash screens in A Plague Tale but I did not have to with Ratchet and Clank. There was a single "start game" prompt at the Ratchet and Clank title screen but no PlayStation Studios screen at all.

Overall, Quick Resume is a great feature to have especially for someone who is constantly changing what games they play. For those who play one game at a time, it wouldn't mean much.

Jaysen

Banned
As a test, I decided to see how long it would take to switch games in both consoles. On XSX, I'll start with Forza Horizon 5 switch to A Plague Tale and then back to Forza Horizon 5. On PS5, I'll switch from Ratchet and Clank to A Plague Tale and back to Ratchet and Clank. None of these games are already loaded. Not a perfect test as I don't have the same games on each console except for A Plague Tale.

XSX Total time: 1:30.23
PS5 Total time: 2:02:89

But what part of that is just going from one game to another after the games have been loaded into Quick Resume. It took 16.72 seconds to jump from Forza Horizon 5 to A Plague Tale. And about 16.08 seconds to go back to Forza Horizon 5 from A Plague Tale.

Going from Ratchet and Clank to A Plague Tale took 54.44 seconds. From The Plague Tale to Ratchet and Clank took 19.96 seconds. So games optimized for PS5 SSD make a huge difference, but still slower than games that are already loaded in Quick Resume.

Of course, the other QR advantage is that the PS games will restart from the last save game or checkpoint. XSX games will restart exactly where you left off. That's probably the more important advantage, but only for those who switched games quite a bit.

For the record, I did have to wait through splash screens in A Plague Tale but I did not have to with Ratchet and Clank. There was a single "start game" prompt at the Ratchet and Clank title screen but no PlayStation Studios screen at all.

Overall, Quick Resume is a great feature to have especially for someone who is constantly changing what games they play. For those who play one game at a time, it wouldn't mean much.
Even when I’m playing only one game, it’s much faster and nicer to always return to the exact spot I was in the last time I played. But your post did a great job explaining why its amazing for playing multiple games, which is something people with Game Pass are very familiar with.

Topher

Gold Member
Even when I’m playing only one game, it’s much faster and nicer to always return to the exact spot I was in the last time I played. But your post did a great job explaining why its amazing for playing multiple games, which is something people with Game Pass are very familiar with.

PS5 does that as well when playing one game. You are just putting the game in suspended mode. Returning to the game is just as quick really and it returns you to the exact spot you played. That is true even if you are bringing PS5 out of rest mode. A key difference, however, is that if you turn the console off then you have to start from scratch at the last save point where QR you still return to where you left, regardless.

But yes, Game Pass makes QR a must especially for people like me who take on the MS Rewards quests on a regular basis.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Definitely. I'd guess it's also more of an overlooked feature with so many games/gamers focused on multi-player gaming.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If that is the case, I haven't really noticed. I'll have to look out for it but I know I have recently started playing Sackboy Adventure and it showed the PS Studios logo (I was able to skip it, however); I will keep an eye out next time I play and see if I see that or not.

EDIT

I think Ghost shows it because the way it does the intro is actually pretty cool (I think we get some feedback in the Dualsense too which is what I find cool.)
Out of curiosity, how do you launch into games on the PS5? Depending on what you choose or how you launch, could explain why you don't see it but from what I recall from Ghost, I've seen that each time.

EDIT

If someone is misrepresenting something, they can easily be corrected. When someone is unwilling to respect your opinion when you try to explain it over and over again, it just gets old fast.

Just by launching it normally from the home menu. I never use cards to launch games.

Jaysen

Banned
PS5 does that as well when playing one game. You are just putting the game in suspended mode. Returning to the game is just as quick really and it returns you to the exact spot you played. That is true even if you are bringing PS5 out of rest mode. A key difference, however, is that if you turn the console off then you have to start from scratch at the last save point where QR you still return to where you left, regardless.

But yes, Game Pass makes QR a must especially for people like me who take on the MS Rewards quests on a regular basis.
I mean Xbox and Switch have suspense mode. It’s not remotely as nice or versatile as QR for even one game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Quick resume has drawbacks as well, having games in that state severely impacts download speeds so if you want to keep games in that state and download a new game or DLC or some kind of update it makes them all take a lot longer.

This is FUD as well. Only the game you currently have running affects download speeds, and they give you the option to suspend it. Games in QR do not affect download speeds.

Topher

Gold Member
The big one being you can’t use your console anymore since it’s suspended whereas QR suspends games and let’s you do anything you want, including turning off the console completely.

I already mentioned being able to turn off your console. Other than that, for a single game, it is exactly the same. What do you mean you can't use your console? Sure you can. You can watch movies, listen to music, shop the store, download apps. It doesn't suspend the entire console.

Last edited:

Like I said it is useless… I don’t see use… I can start and get into gameplay very fast.

Dev can choose to show it all the time.

I need to check Returnal but Demon’s Souls only shows splash screen logs the first time… it is the game that people start to see the features… Miles Morales just show the first time too.

so within 2 hours it went from no loading screens after the first boot at all, to "I need to check the whims of the developers on each specific game"...

I don't understand the need to make definitive statements in support of your plastic box, that you then walk back shortly afterwards. Is it just in the hope no one calls you on it?

so it skips right to the menu? and the way it is here is only the first boot? cool idea. never noticed that honestly... if it's the same for demons souls

Yes, Demon's Souls too. I noticed because I got mad at the stupid dragon in 1-4 and decided to save my game to the cloud. After closing the game and redownloading my save, it took mere seconds to go from a cold boot to back in my game. The PS intro doesn't happen.

When I replayed the game months later, it happened again, but only once. So, I'm not sure what triggers it, but there is some amount of time you must go without starting the game to see those intro screens and animations.

ethomaz

Banned
so within 2 hours it went from no loading screens after the first boot at all, to "I need to check the whims of the developers on each specific game"...

I don't understand the need to make definitive statements in support of your plastic box, that you then walk back shortly afterwards. Is it just in the hope no one calls you on it?
Wut?

Last edited:
Yes, Demon's Souls too. I noticed because I got mad at the stupid dragon in 1-4 and decided to save my game to the cloud. After closing the game and redownloading my save, it took mere seconds to go from a cold boot to back in my game. The PS intro doesn't happen.

When I replayed the game months later, it happened again, but only once. So, I'm not sure what triggers it, but there is some amount of time you must go without starting the game to see those intro screens and animations.
Updates will do that, every time the game is updated you have to see those little scenes again but only once.

This is FUD as well. Only the game you currently have running affects download speeds, and they give you the option to suspend it. Games in QR do not affect download speeds.
I had 4 games in suspend and my download speeds were way worse than normal, just a coincidence? I stopped using suspend resume. As far as PS5 having it, I don't think it's really needed, native games load so fast it's really a non issue.

Top Bottom