• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Ps5 do quick resume if Sony desired it to?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I see no technical reason why not, they'd just have to reserve X GB of the SSD for it. But "proper" PS5 games start up and load so fast that I don't quite see the need for it (at least if the game has a good save system).

oldergamer

I don’t understand why you’d need 60-80GB of extra space when memory is limited to 16GB not including whatever the OS takes up at any moment in time.
For multiple games. At this stage with it not being part of the OS from the start, i dont see how it would be possible to support the feature. Its part of the filesystem on xbox.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

reksveks

What, you can't quick resume all games on XSX? It's something each game needs to explicitly support? That's news to me (I don't have one), and really weird. I thought it was a system-level feature that just works with everything, like suspend and resume does on PS5.

To be more precise, not all games support quick resume. It doesn't really need dev support but it does have a backend flag to disable quick resume on a game or not. It's kinda like auto-hdr but the devs have control or not.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
the latter is not realistic because the PS5 already has a really small amount of free space on the SSD. and adding that would mean at least 60 to 80 GiB of space gone to be on the level of the feature on Xbox
20-40% smaller game sizes on PS5 in general.
Right now the PS5 have "more" storage for games than XSX, cause it have better compression..

Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

bullshit GIF

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Corndog

Banned
I know you did; I was simply saying rest modes have never written to the hard drive the RAM. They just pause the game, and keep the data in memory.

Sony didn't completely re-write how their rest mode works just to save a few watts in it.

Otherwise, they could just... let you turn the thing off, unplug it, etc. and still re-load the same point of the game. Which is what XBox does/can do.
I thought it wrote it out to flash memory. I just assumed that though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Serious question: Who uses quick resume and how do you use it?

I personally find it useless because I don't mind at all close the game. I wouldn't leave any game open (except for certain exceptions), but definitely not more than one game.

So as someone who doesn't need it and wouldn't use it, I would like to understand what is the actual use for Quick Resume or which benefits does it bring?

dont close your game load other games you are playing, switch to other game and be exactly where you left off. It’s simple and works and is pretty damn amazing.

FranXico

Well implemented activity cards are functionally equivalent. I use those to jump between Death Stranding and Sjyrim, for example. Extremely fast.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Same, it also caps download speeds which is actually more problematic for me.
Can't say I've noticed this at all. If you leave a current game running yes (like Ps5 does) but games that are in quick resume from before no.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
What, you can't quick resume all games on XSX? It's something each game needs to explicitly support? That's news to me (I don't have one), and really weird. I thought it was a system-level feature that just works with everything, like suspend and resume does on PS5.
That list is way out of date. Even 360 games use it. If its not your cup of tea you can use suspend and resume.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Technically speaking, quick resume is hardware related right? Does the XSX and SX have internal hardware that the Ps5 doesn't have? They both have SSD's with Sony's being the superior from what I understand so what is stopping them from implementing this awesome feature.
I do not see how Quick Resume is anything but all software. It works well and not like Wii U like cool idea but bad execution because you also have a very fast SSD.

RafterXL

Not anymore. I get full speed all the time and always have games in my QR. Throttling only happens when you are actually playing a game and downloading at the same time. It's been fixed for months.

Methos#1975

Serious question: Who uses quick resume and how do you use it?

I personally find it useless because I don't mind at all close the game. I wouldn't leave any game open (except for certain exceptions), but definitely not more than one game.

So as someone who doesn't need it and wouldn't use it, I would like to understand what is the actual use for Quick Resume or which benefits does it bring?
I use it constantly. Pretty much every game I'm playing on the Xbox. Like in Horizon 5, bam, finish a race, get back into the game world, turn off the console. Next morning, power up the console, go into the game and 5 seconds later I'm right back where I left off. What's to hate about that?

Rivet

As others stated, it's a useless feature now that games load in a few seconds anyway and save state nearly constantly and instantly. I never thought "wow I lost 2 seconds loading this game". Especially with activity cards removing splash screens. That's the feature Xbox should copy.

Those save states would have been great in PS3 era though.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well implemented activity cards are functionally equivalent. I use those to jump between Death Stranding and Sjyrim, for example. Extremely fast.
Is there only 37 games that surport activty cards? That's all that's listed and i fogot that they even exist and I'm paying for it.

SkylineRKR

The cards are a flop. They are a hassle and I think I've only used them on Astrobot which was the pack in game. I'd like to see QR on PS5 as of now.

I think its in our minds to just launch the app and not browse cards. I know I do it almost automatically.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I thought they fixed this ages ago, I'm getting like 350 Meg down now with quick resume active on a 500 down connection. Could it be even quicker if I didn't use quick resume?

TonyK

It takes basically no time to load games cold to in-game on PS5.
That only applies to native PS5 games, but Ps4 games load almost as slow as ever. I played Black Mirror recently in PS5 and loading times were a pain. Same for other non patched Ps4 games.

However, quick resume would not solve, even mitigate, that. Quick resume only solves first initial loading, so I would prefer an update to make loading universally quicker than quick resume.

Markio128

It seems to be painfully obvious which users never have used quick resume. Everything my plastic box can't do has to be bad.
And promoting the speed of PS5s SSD but in the same breath mocking users for wanting to switch games quickly is kind of ridiculous.
I have a Series X and have never used, or ever wanted to use quick resume.

This thread is basically people who've never used Quick Resume arguing with people who have. It's objectively a great feature which would benefit PS5 users to have, even if you are randomly against it because your PS5 loads fast (spoiler alert, so does the Series X even without Quick Resume, yet Quick Resume is still awesome on Xbox). But then again I don't know why I'm surprised that people here are blindly against something that their plastic box doesn't have.

This thread is basically people who've never used Quick Resume arguing with people who have. It's objectively a great feature which would benefit PS5 users to have, even if you are randomly against it because your PS5 loads fast (spoiler alert, so does the Series X even without Quick Resume, yet Quick Resume is still awesome on Xbox). But then again I don't know why I'm surprised that people here are blindly against something that their plastic box doesn't have.
Its called being a loser lmao. Thats what it is, people worshipping toys like idiots.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Imagine being so addicted that you can't wait 10-20 seconds to switch between games.

I can only speak personally but I don't have it on PC or PS5 and I don't need it.
Well it's not just for the quick load of the game, it's also like a save state.

it’s a cool feature. But typically I don’t find my self leaping between games in rapid succession in one sitting. I’m sure they could accomplish this if they wanted to and if there was a demand for such a feature. I’ve got a 2TB drive installed so I can spare a little extra space :)

Last edited:

ManaByte

it’s a cool feature. But typically I don’t find my self leaping between games in rapid succession in one sitting. I’m sure they could accomplish this if they wanted to and if there was a demand for such a feature. I’ve got a 2TB drive installed so I can spare a little extra space :)

Why do people keep bringing up SSD space? This has nothing to do with SSD space at all. That's now how it works on the Xbox. It's just the game's VM being put into a suspended state.

Loxus

It seems to be painfully obvious which users never have used quick resume. Everything my plastic box can't do has to be bad.
And promoting the speed of PS5s SSD but in the same breath mocking users for wanting to switch games quickly is kind of ridiculous.
There is nothing special about Quick Resume vs ultra fast boot.

Quick Resume is basically a save state (allows players to save a restore point, which is like a quick save but has no restrictions on reloading), were the system stores the contents of random-access memory to disk.

Which is why the XBSX has that 100GB of storage memory that the GPU can instantly access. It uses the SSD as virtual memory.

PS5 having Quick Resume will also lower storage space.

It still takes 2-3 seconds to get back in gameplay, so I don't see why the PS5 needs Quick Resume.

Quick Resume is a way XBSX can keep up with PS5's game boot time.

Why do people keep bringing up SSD space? This has nothing to do with SSD space at all. That's now how it works on the Xbox. It's just the game's VM being put into a suspended state.
A suspended state where? Pretty sure Microsoft is using Hyper-V under the hood. And keeping 4-5 games in a suspended state in RAM makes absolutely zero sense when you’re only rocking 16GB. I’m almost 99% sure the VM contents/state and it’s RAM contents are being written to disk, in hyper-v it’s the save function as opposed to pause.

Edit: If it works across a power outage/console being unplugged, it’s 100% being written to disk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom