• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could xDefiant find success with classic Call of Duty game design? We should know later this week.

Calverz

This is a true cod-killer candidate. Due to its emphasis on the 6 vs 6 multiplayer modes that make Call of Duty great(instead of BR bs), this game has a slight edge over COD for me.

They have copied everything from COD so well that I couldn't help but wonder if Activision would win a lawsuit against them. Instead of paying $60-70 every year for the same monetization and gameplay, I would rather play it for free. Having Ubisoft behind it is very valuable as they have kept Rainbow Six alive for years and haven't alienated its player base that much. While I don't think they have been successful enough in other genres, looking at Rainbow Six as an example, I believe they excel in the online FPS genre.

It seems like the devs of 'The Finals' have missed a great opportunity.

The only shortcoming I see for now is that the time-to-kill could be a bit faster. I hope there will be a hardcore mode.

I should also mention that I tend to speak early and be proven wrong lol.
I think its 50/50 whether this survives the first year tbh. In saying that, I love siege and Ubi stuck with it, even during the Operation health days. So maybe they play the long game with this. But there is a high chance, the new cod releases, and everyone ditches this by the end of the year.

jorgejjvr

Having a great time.

I just feel HDR ain't it, but when I turn off HDR in the game settings, my tv still says it's displaying hdr10, and my PS5 is on 'on when supported', had to manually turn off HDR in the PS5 settings, and it's now much better. Wish the HDR on when supported' would work correctly

Let me start by saying I would love for COD to get knocked off their Throne or at least have another viable competitor. I support any company willing to give it a shot.

My personal opinion on the matter is this game is not it... not even close. Besides the horrible character models and maps that look like toy sets with arenas designed for paintball or laser-tag, the guns just don't feel good. I can look past everything aesthetically if I thought the guns and movement felt pretty solid. I even adjusted the controller settings to a couple of the popular online guys recommendations, one of whom even help work on the game to dial in the best settings. Still feels very shallow and half baked.

I come from the COD sphere of this and have never played Fortnite or Overwatch. For those that like this game both here and online, maybe this is a happy medium somewhere in between? In other words, maybe this game wasn't designed for me and if you enjoy it that's great.

I can't really say anything else other than I've already uninstalled this and won't be coming back when it gets its final release.

whyman

Here's another feature for you:
- Run it through Steam without needing to install a launcher like uplay

MWII runs without needing battle.net - can this game drop the launcher shit too please?
This single feature would make me play it. Now I won’t.

Tarnpanzer

U can say about CoD what you want, but the gunplay is still supreme there. Thats one of the reasons a lot of people still play it. Even if it has a lot of flaws in other areas.

XDefiant´s Gunplay is way worse. And that will be the main reason this will fail.

T0minator

U can say about CoD what you want, but the gunplay is still supreme there. Thats one of the reasons a lot of people still play it. Even if it has a lot of flaws in other areas.

XDefiant´s Gunplay is way worse. And that will be the main reason this will fail.
I 100% agree. The gunplay felt ..floaty?

I played CoD because even up until black ops 2 even, it was a military themed war game with factions and cool guns.

Why anyone would wan to play Xdefiant which is literally a Fortnite rip off with CoD style gun play is beyond me.

I want to be a soldier not a yellow colored Ubisoft character with a beanie.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Played a bit last night.

Big issue so far is the hit reg problems. Sometimes it would be entire matches where I would get hit markers and enemies just wouldn't take damage.

Another thing is the broken friends list. Have to use the system based invite by seeing who else is playing the game.

Generally not a big fan of CoD style/arena shooters, and see no reason to play this over Siege and BF2042.

jorgejjvr

Loved the game, can't wait for it to come back. Only issue was not being able to group up with friends, but we found a workaround where we all looked for hot shot together, and put us in the same lobby, alebit not always on the same team

The above is one of those games, and i clutched hard, we were losing the entire time till the end, 59 tags on my part lol 2 of my friends were on opposite team, we were chatting on discord, you only hear me

I crushed that game lol

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Loved the game, can't wait for it to come back. Only issue was not being able to group up with friends, but we found a workaround where we all looked for hot shot together, and put us in the same lobby, alebit not always on the same team
You could bring up the chat and do /invite username or /join username.

XDefiant is great and haven't had this much fun in CoD since Blops2. Looking forward to play it again.

RickMasters

I don’t think it’s gonna stand out enough from COD to leave a lasting impression long term. I could be wrong but.I Just don’t feel like this game has that ‘it’ factor, that will make it Runaway success like fortnight or apex. I didn’t even bother with the beta because even from the vids it didn’t look like something I haven’t already played.

Maybe it will find its fan base though and that may be enough to sustain it.

jorgejjvr

You could bring up the chat and do /invite username or /join username.

XDefiant is great and haven't had this much fun in CoD since Blops2. Looking forward to play it again.
Yep, same here, bo2 was my favorite cod. We should play together lol. Thanks for the tip, didn't know

Paasei

Characters that are classes? Fuck that shit. I only liked that in R6 Siege before it had 40 characters, where you ahd to be smart with what you picked.
In this game it seems like it's just there to be there.
It's also F2P, probably meaning the majority of the "continued support" will be in cosmetics.

This game will die just after a year or so I reckon. Even if it turns out to be a decent game, it is still decent. We already have a shitton of those, so why invest all this time (and money) in yet another one?
It doesn't stand out in any way to other shooters.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

I would really like a cod like multiplayer game. Every game these days is either tactical or battle Royale shit. We really do need a classic cod like game. I used to really enjoy playing Blacklight Retribution, since then no fps mp game captured my attention.

RickMasters

I would really like a cod like multiplayer game. Every game these days is either tactical or battle Royale shit. We really do need a classic cod like game. I used to really enjoy playing Blacklight Retribution, since then no fps mp game captured my attention.
COD still has a classic team death match mode. I tend to play the on jet ice based modes more than anything else when I play COD. It’s easier to kill other players when they have an area of the map to focus on rather than running around flipping the spawns. I hate when the spawn gets flipped and I’m not aware because some random teammate has gone in there and no- scoped the entire team and said nothing of it. I hate that…..next thing you know they spawn in the corner you JUST ran past…. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Banned
apparently a bunch of CoD players are crying about not enough aim assist 🤣🤣🤣

it's fun seeing people that only play CoD suddenly being forced to actually need skill when shooting at someone.

Top Bottom