• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could xDefiant find success with classic Call of Duty game design? We should know later this week.

Tarnpanzer

Played one round on PC, will play more later today.

Played two hours of Modern warfare after this. I can´t see anybody who even remotely likes CoD will switch over to XDefiant. The gunplay in CoD is just so much better.

wipeout364

That's how COD was for years, though. Or at least there was very minimal SBMM, and the game was still massively popular.
COD is bigger now with SBMM, they have flat out said it improves retention and engagement of the majority of players and I 100% agree, as a low skill player it makes the game much better experience playing against people at my level compared to the old days.

IMO Launching without SBMM is dooming your game to oblivion in 2023.

This game is doa and shit. But I still like it lol, I have a soft spot for shitty shooters.

I kind of enjoyed my time playing it but bland is a good description

Even being free I am not sure I could invest a lot of time into it as there are other games I would rather play

Played one round on PC, will play more later today.

Played two hours of Modern warfare after this. I can´t see anybody who even remotely likes CoD will switch over to XDefiant. The gunplay in CoD is just so much better.

One question for anyone who has played on PS5. Did this seem to be running at less than 60 fps? Because it didn't feel anywhere near as smooth as COD, Apex, Splitgate, or even Battlefield. I hope that's just because the game is still in development. There were also obvious issues with netcode, which supposedly will be fixed before launch.

Because of these issues, I didn't have much fun. If those problems are solved, though, I think I would gladly play this over COD or even Apex TDM. It offers what old COD titles used to, and there just aren't any good 6 vs 6 shooters around anymore.

I still think Shatterline looks better, though.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
One question for anyone who has played on PS5. Did this seem to be running at less than 60 fps? Because it didn't feel anywhere near as smooth as COD, Apex, Splitgate, or even Battlefield. I hope that's just because the game is still in development. There were also obvious issues with netcode, which supposedly will be fixed before launch.

Because of these issues, I didn't have much fun. If those problems are solved, though, I think I would gladly play this over COD or even Apex TDM. It offers what old COD titles used to, and there just aren't any good 6 vs 6 shooters around anymore.

I still think Shatterline looks better, though.
I played on Series X so far and it was pretty smooth but would get dropped from lobbies after 4 or 5 matches.

Got a couple of friends in for PS5 so going to try it later this evening on PS5 and see how it runs

I played on Series X so far and it was pretty smooth but would get dropped from lobbies after 4 or 5 matches.

Got a couple of friends in for PS5 so going to try it later this evening on PS5 and see how it runs
I hope you managed to do so already, because they're shutting down the beta on consoles so they can fix PC. Consoles take longer to fix, and if they're matching PC players at 200+ fps with PS5 players at less than 60 fps, it feels like they already don't care about the console user's experience during this beta.

They're working to get consoles patched as soon as they can, and they're exploring the idea of extending the beta. Considering how much grinding you need to do for the beta exclusive cosmetics, this has been kind of a disaster. Because either a beta is a promotional tool, or it's to get feedback and improve your game. If you try to do both, you're just going to end up compromising on one of those two goals.

Of the 4 MP shooters I play online, they all run at 120fps. This doesn’t so it’s an instant no from me.

The developer said they'll be adding 120fps support either at launch or shortly after. I don't understand how they're so sure they can do that when even the beta doesn't seem to be hitting 60fps, and I don't think they've ever acknowledged that fact.

Been waiting for a beta key but I might have registered too late.

Right now the only MP games I really play are Dead by Daylight, which is like 8-9 years old, and Last of Us Factions, which is a PS3 era MP game not supported anymore and has imbalanced and P2W weapons. I really wish we got a new SOCOM, or a CoD style shooter not absolutely loaded with stupid gimmicks and gadgets and streak rewards. I was hoping CrossFire X would be like CoD without the horseshit but holy fuck that might be the worst MP game I have ever experienced.

I am very cautious about monetization here because it's an Ubisoft game, but I hope its good.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Been waiting for a beta key but I might have registered too late.

Right now the only MP games I really play are Dead by Daylight, which is like 8-9 years old, and Last of Us Factions, which is a PS3 era MP game not supported anymore and has imbalanced and P2W weapons. I really wish we got a new SOCOM, or a CoD style shooter not absolutely loaded with stupid gimmicks and gadgets and streak rewards. I was hoping CrossFire X would be like CoD without the horseshit but holy fuck that might be the worst MP game I have ever experienced.

I am very cautious about monetization here because it's an Ubisoft game, but I hope its good.
Did you watch any of the Twitch streamers for 30 minutes it gives you a code

I also posted a code on the first page that had a lot of uses in

Is there no way to play only with controller users? Seems the only way on Xbox is to turn crossplay off entirely.
Not in the beta, because I think they want as much KBM vs controller data as possible, likely so they can properly tune aim assist. They've said all along that the full game won't work like that. Controller players will be matched with and against other controller players, unless they decide to play with a friend who is on PC.

I think people are underestimating how successful this game could be. Most of the COD you tubers I've seen have been pretty positive regarding the potential of this game. It's not going to "kill" COD, but I don't think it's going to be another hyperscape or roller champions either.

It's also similar enough to COD that COD channels can cover it without seeing their average views drop. That fact, along with the fact that "pubstomping" will be a thing again, could be huge for all the free PR it could mean for this game.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think people are underestimating how successful this game could be. Most of the COD you tubers I've seen have been pretty positive regarding the potential of this game. It's not going to "kill" COD, but I don't think it's going to be another hyperscape or roller champions either.

It's also similar enough to COD that COD channels can cover it without seeing their average views drop. That fact, along with the fact that "pubstomping" will be a thing again, could be huge for all the free PR it could mean for this game.

I think this game has a chance to be a monster

About as forgettable as a game could be. Has absolutely no personality and nothing that separates it from anything done before. I played a couple matches and uninstalled.

So I guess the FarCry faction is the best? I played maybe four matches yesterday and even in different lobbies, the entire enemy team was using them 😆

It seems they have a healing ability that outperforms damage.

manfestival

Yeah after playing it for a few hours. I definitely see this game becoming big. The gunplay is different enough. Though the mid air strafing is goofy but so is dolphin diving in COD.

side note: I thought this game looked stupid and was a dumpsterfire till I played it. Now I am looking forward to playing it on release.

ksdixon

So either a glitch or people already hacking it because both were on PC.

I hope they allow us to shut off crossplay on console or game will be doa to me there

I've never understood this. Like cross play for more playerbase should be all/console-to-console toggle in options or matchmaking settings, no?

And to sort of piggyback on that, if a game can't stand the test of time and gets sunset, why don't more games do the thing where they turn off the developer servers, but enable the player-to-player matchmaker thing?

Last edited:
Ubi really needs to put this on steam
I agree, but I can also see why they don't want to give Steam a cut of all the cosmetics sales. It's probably not going to happen, but they are already talking about a 120fps mode for consoles, and allowing keyboard and mouse use on consoles. Players aren't matched together based on platform, they're matched according to input device.

jm89

I agree, but I can also see why they don't want to give Steam a cut of all the cosmetics sales. It's probably not going to happen, but they are already talking about a 120fps mode for consoles, and allowing keyboard and mouse use on consoles. Players aren't matched together based on platform, they're matched according to input device.
Isn't the steam cut the same as console?

Or is it just the case on PC they want a bigger cut for themselves?

Isn't the steam cut the same as console?

Or is it just the case on PC they want a bigger cut for themselves?
If the game is on their launcher, they keep 100 percent of the money. On Steam, I think Valve would be getting 30 percent of all purchases made though the game's store. I think that is the same as console, but they have no option there.

Last edited:

Calverz

Submitted my email for signup days ago. Heard nothing. Even though I play cod for several hours everyday. Their loss. Back to the shipment grind…..

Nice,

Look at Sony, Ubsoft made their own Cod, instead of crying and paying to remove games from another console, let's work to develop a game.
Sony is being the biggest retard right now because if they dumped a first party studio or two into making a FPS multiplayer shooter on Decima engine or something similar it would blow fucking minds.

It's a horrible decision not to gamble with that right now in my opinion. CoD and BF are both shit right now. Sony has a great opportunity.

Last edited:
This game is doa and shit. But I still like it lol, I have a soft spot for shitty shooters.
This gameplay looks similar to how Warface looked around 2 to 3 years ago and it was free. Unfortunately they added horrible skins and maps to that game and ruined it. It looks like this game now.

jm89

Sony is being the biggest retard right now because if they dumped a first party studio or two into making a FPS multiplayer shooter on Decima engine or something similar it would blow fucking minds.

It's a horrible decision not to gamble with that right now in my opinion. CoD and BF are both shit right now. Sony has a great opportunity.
They may already be.

Firewalk and deviation are both working on FPS and have veterans from bungie and people who worked on COD. While deviation isn't first party, they are working on something big and probably have huge backing.

Last edited:
They may already be.

Firewalk and deviation are both working on FPS and have veterans from bungie and people who worked on COD. While deviation isn't first party, they are working on something big and probably have huge backing.
Right, I really hope this is what they are doing. Like, for christ's sake, MAG ran on a PS3. Can you fucking imagine that as a PS5 game. Even something smaller in scale like a Killzone 2 style FPS game would kick ass.

I need that kind of hype back. I am so fucking sick of third party shooters. They are all shit now unfortunately. Except for Hell Let Loose and Insurgency Sandstorm, those are the only good FPS games to hit console in a long time.

CoD is officially done and will never make anything good multiplayer wise again in my opinion.

Battlefield 2042 blows, though I can still see DICE redeeming themselves with a good Battlefield in the future as even their past lower quality games such as BF Hardline and BFV are still very fun to play on occasion.

But I know for a fact that Sony could knock both of these over (not take them out entirely obviously) pretty hard if they actually tried.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I've been playing multiplayer fps games for years and I love them. I saw this game's name here and there, but I probably confused it with crossfirex, so it didn't catch my attention. It seems they are making a F2P COD clone, which is great. We will see if it will be a Cod killer, but it may(and probably will) force Activision to make major changes to the Cod.

You can check Shatterline in the meantime. It's hard to get access to beta anyway.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Kill it with fire

flame thrower fire GIF

GIVE ME SOME REAL GAMES LIKE ROGUE SPEAR, R6 VEGAS, GHOST RECON 2 ETC...

Sad Happy Hour GIF by MOODMAN

Fuck you Ubi, and if you support this trash game you are part of the problem

Call of Duty channels seem to be supporting this game in a big way, and a great deal of the comments on their videos are all for it. After years of complaints about the changes being made to COD being ignored at best, and insultingly dismissed at worst, I really love to see this.

I also was happy to see that there was a ton of input lag in the PS5 beta, so the horrible feeling of the game wasn't my imagination. No wonder I did far worse than I ever usually do on games like this. They've got a lot to fix, but they know it, and it sounds like a lot of it has been fixed already. This video has a lot of good news, and the developers have been very upfront about their plans.

Pakoe

The weapons feel weak. I shot a couple of weapons but they all lack the feel of power. Sure i could drop someone with 2 shots from my DMR, but it didnt feel powerful. Besides that, I’m not a fan of these hero style powerups.
Other than that it played like a solid arcade shooter. I hope the gaming community supports the game and doesnt jump to the next CoD when it drops (which will probably happen).

HelpYouFall

After years of complaints about the changes being made to COD being ignored at best, and insultingly dismissed at worst, I really love to see this.

Cause Ubisoft has such a great track record of giving the people what they want of course.

I have no strong feelings about this game either way, which is a telltale sign for me. It's like someone took COD, put it through the Apex/Fortnite/zoomer blender and then finished it off with a Clancy béarnaise.

In a generation of bland/generic as fuck games, it's hard being THIS bland and generic ...

Everyone who knows my post history knows how much I like to dunk on Ubi games but I'll give this a fair chance. It has some unbearable elements like the voiceovers and millennial stupidity splashed all over it, combat is clunky compared to a long-running series like CoD (which I think it's hard to expect a new IP topping that on their first try). However, I like the slower time to kill (I'm getting old and appreciate that haha), and I'm in favor of no SBMM for casual matches, and map voting is much appreciated. I don't know how long the game will survive since it has HEAVY competition against CoD/Apex/CS2 and whatever other FPS games out there.

At its current state, it is a 7.5/8.0 game, not bad, not exceptionally good. It can go either way but it's hard to expect new games to survive in this saturated live-service landscape if it isn't nothing short of exceptional.

Top Bottom