• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Council Estate glory days were INSANE

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I've moved to different countries in my life, but nothing was like growing up on a UK council estate. These places were fucken crazy.

I've not too long ago ended up back in the UK, thankfully not in one of these. Here's a run down for the unaware:

A council estate is a whole area built/developed for "low income" families. You rent your house for dirt cheap from the local council. The houses are all identical prefabs (soviet bloc style). There is no personality, no character.

A good council estate looks like this...
SeacroftSemis.jpg

Most were like this:
shutterstock_21203295381.jpg

0_ncr_MGA-230922rough1.jpg

Some even had shit fake houses made from steel

p1260018.jpg

Riley-Construction-800.jpg

The steel houses were built throughout the UK after world war 2 as emergency housing. They were designed to be cheap, quick and easy to slap down in areas. Sadly the UK is full of greedy fucken starvers, so whoever was in charge decided "actually, that'll do fine. Fuck them poor people"
So they have a habbit of getting "concrete cancer" and basically dying and collapsing LMAO but you can still buy one to this day.

Council estates were amazing because everyone was a ridiculous character trying to scam their way through life. Some were proper thieving nasty cunts, but others were honorable and resorted to victimless crimes - like scamming the government.

Here were some form mine:

"Gordon Grandad"
On this particular estate, if you owned a shitty Austin metro you were doing well in life.
Gordon managed to own a fucken minibus, he had the envy of the estate - "he must be rolling in money!" - "how the fuck can he afford that?!"
Turns out it's because he adopted. Adopted a lot.
Gordon had a total of NINE adopted kids. And in his words "if you get the ones who have something wrong with them, then you get more money"
Lesson learned, adopt a bunch of retards and you'll be rich.

"Naked boy and the seven siblings"
Next door to one of my mates was a house that was a massive shithole. Inside had no carpet, no blinds, no TV nothing. Just a barren house with bare windows.
Something else was bare in the windows - a naked boy. Aged about 4 or 5 tops, he was there everyday with his winky flopping about as the banged on the window like a Resident Evil zombie waiting to smash through when you passed.
The front door to the house was broken and held up by multiple sacks of potatoes. One day the sacks fell over and the door fell. Naked boy managed to escape and was running around the streets like a headless chicken.
It was like Raiden in MGS2 with his arse clapping. Funny as fuck, the whole street gathered to laugh at him.

Only years later did I find out he had 7 siblings. Like a shitty broke ass druggy version of snow white.

"No Work Norris"
No work Norris limped around the streets with crutches because he was disabled and unable to work. As a result, the government paid all his bills and rent.
Then the weekend would kick in, and Norris would be in the pub givin' it large and jumping all about. Disco dancing until he had to leave the pub and thought the police or the "benefits man" would catch him. On the way out he would get his jacket (and crutches) and magically become disabled again.
He was doing so well with his welfare handouts that he was one of the first to be able to afford this new "Sky satelite" TV.. He bragged like fuck about his one hundred channels.

I guess someone was pissed about it though because one morning he woke up and switched on the news - "NO SIGNAL". Hmm strange.
Another news channel - NO SIGNAL.
What about the kids cartoons? - NO SIGNAL
He went outsdie to check -
"WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!" he was screaming at 8 AM
Someone stole his fucken satelite dish form his roof during the night LMAO!!! You stupid cunt hahaha

I have many, many more. I kept it to the fun ones but I've seen and been involved in some nasty stuff. As fucked up as it got, I like to think we had some honor back in the day. Now the places are rotten to the core.

Any council estate stories on GAF?

edits:

"Council estate justice"
Back in the day before the internet, you had to write to the government or local council to fid out if there were pedophiles in your area...
They did, quite frequently. Someone found out one of the new lads on the esate wa a jimmy riddler and he lived around the corner form us.
One day, around 1PM, there was a huge smash - they drove a car through his wall and into his front door. Four boys got out, went into the house and dragged this cunt out and beat the shit out of him in his garden. Smashed his face into a pulp, alls sorts of fucked. They drove off and left him there... Ambulance picked him up a while after and we never saw him again. jshackles jshackles - this is what I was saying lol

"Drug Dealing Dad"
When I was a kid and used to hang out with one of my friends there would be a knock at his door, his dad would answer and trade a small plastic bag for money. I didn't think much of it.
What I did think about was how my friend's house had a cool closet full of swords, machetes and survival knives. "Wow, that is so cool! You should bring some into school tomorrow!"
He did. And and when a teacher noticed a child with a backpack full of deadly weapons it meant a call to the police. Dumbass ended up getting his father raided LMAO

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Same, except I did end up in one of these. I lasted two months before bailing. It was a fucking narrated by David Attenborough wildlife documentary. Every cliche played out right there LIVE.
My wife thought the UK was a mix of Downton Abbey and Notting Hill.
I showed her a few movies before we moved back to prepare her for it being a mix of Only Fools and Rise Of The Footsoldier.

Winter John

It’s easy to look at the negatives but think of all the great bands who came out of them places. Joy Division. Happy Mondays. Jesus and Mary Chain. The Wedding Present. All them punk bands. I grew up in Red Hook during the 70s when it was mostly block after block of burned out apartments, rubble, mob guys and junkies. But there was also artists, musicians, film makers, good food, sports games and a community where everyone knew each other. It ain’t all bad is what I’m saying.

nush

Fuck it, I'm on the wife beater atm so I'll post some more lol

edit: wife beater is stella artois lol
Crack Santa

My (no longer) friends daughters boyfriend. The daughter lived about 2 streets away and he would just turn up often around 6pm In just this grey dressing gown and slippers, long overgrown beard and he’d been wearing that all day. He’d walked through the streets dressed like that as if it was just a normal thing. So I’d say “crack Santas” here. Yes, he was an actual crack addict.

Andy the simp

He had a thing for my (no longer) friend. He was fat and insecure but he actually had a job. So he was tolerated and always came round to “take her dogs for a walk” and be helpful. He would post pictures of himself on Facebook holding a knife to his throat saying he was going to end it all, and various pity party shit about women not appreciating him. He was tolerated. She knew what day he got paid, and that very day she would put on some basic makeup and go to see him. She always stayed overnight, rinsed whatever she could out of him (money, drugs, alcohol) and probably fucked him. Then tolerated him until the next payday.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
SeacroftSemis.jpg

My parents purchased an ex-council house basically like this for something like £20,000-30,000 and it's now worth £330,000 and rising every year. Crazt stuff.
Yeah the council estate round the corner from where I grew up everyone bought there houses for dirt cheap. The main thing I remember about the council estate was that it was a shit place to go for money on Halloween.
Also someone did have a Robin Reliant.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
I've moved to different countries in my life, but nothing was like growing up on a UK council estate. These places were fucken crazy.

I've not too long ago ended up back in the UK, thankfully not in one of these. Here's a run down for the unaware:

A council estate is a whole area built/developed for "low income" families. You rent your house for dirt cheap from the local council. The houses are all identical prefabs (soviet bloc style). There is no personality, no character.

A good council estate looks like this...
SeacroftSemis.jpg

Most were like this:
shutterstock_21203295381.jpg

0_ncr_MGA-230922rough1.jpg

Some even had shit fake houses made from steel

p1260018.jpg

Riley-Construction-800.jpg

The steel houses were built throughout the UK after world war 2 as emergency housing. They were designed to be cheap, quick and easy to slap down in areas. Sadly the UK is full of greedy fucken starvers, so whoever was in charge decided "actually, that'll do fine. Fuck them poor people"
So they have a habbit of getting "concrete cancer" and basically dying and collapsing LMAO but you can still buy one to this day.

Council estates were amazing because everyone was a ridiculous character trying to scam their way through life. Some were proper thieving nasty cunts, but others were honorable and resorted to victimless crimes - like scamming the government.

Here were some form mine:

"Gordon Grandad"
On this particular estate, if you owned a shitty Austin metro you were doing well in life.
Gordon managed to own a fucken minibus, he had the envy of the estate - "he must be rolling in money!" - "how the fuck can he afford that?!"
Turns out it's because he adopted. Adopted a lot.
Gordon had a total of NINE adopted kids. And in his words "if you get the ones who have something wrong with them, then you get more money"
Lesson learned, adopt a bunch of retards and you'll be rich.

"Naked boy and the seven siblings"
Next door to one of my mates was a house that was a massive shithole. Inside had no carpet, no blinds, no TV nothing. Just a barren house with bare windows.
Something else was bare in the windows - a naked boy. Aged about 4 or 5 tops, he was there everyday with his winky flopping about as the banged on the window like a Resident Evil zombie waiting to smash through when you passed.
The front door to the house was broken and held up by multiple sacks of potatoes. One day the sacks fell over and the door fell. Naked boy managed to escape and was running around the streets like a headless chicken.
It was like Raiden in MGS2 with his arse clapping. Funny as fuck, the whole street gathered to laugh at him.

Only years later did I find out he had 7 siblings. Like a shitty broke ass druggy version of snow white.

"No Work Norris"
No work Norris limped around the streets with crutches because he was disabled and unable to work. As a result, the government paid all his bills and rent.
Then the weekend would kick in, and Norris would be in the pub givin' it large and jumping all about. Disco dancing until he had to leave the pub and thought the police or the "benefits man" would catch him. On the way out he would get his jacket (and crutches) and magically become disabled again.
He was doing so well with his welfare handouts that he was one of the first to be able to afford this new "Sky satelite" TV.. He bragged like fuck about his one hundred channels.

I guess someone was pissed about it though because one morning he woke up and switched on the news - "NO SIGNAL". Hmm strange.
Another news channel - NO SIGNAL.
What about the kids cartoons? - NO SIGNAL
He went outsdie to check -
"WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!" he was screaming at 8 AM
Someone stole his fucken satelite dish form his roof during the night LMAO!!! You stupid cunt hahaha

I have many, many more. I kept it to the fun ones but I've seen and been involved in some nasty stuff. As fucked up as it got, I like to think we had some honor back in the day. Now the places are rotten to the core.

Any council estate stories on GAF?

drunk GAF edits:

"Council estate justice"
Back in the day before the internet, you had to write to the government or local council to fid out if there were pedophiles in your area...
They did, quite frequently. Someone found out one of the new lads on the esate wa a jimmy riddler and he lived around the corner form us.
One day, around 1PM, there was a huge smash - they drove a car through his wall and into his front door. Four boys got out, went into the house and dragged this cunt out and beat the shit out of him in his garden. Smashed his face into a pulp, alls sorts of fucked. They drove off and left him there... Ambulance picked him up a while after and we never saw him again. jshackles jshackles - this is what I was saying lol

"Drug Dealing Dad"
When I was a kid and used to hang out with one of my friends there would be a knock at his door, his dad would answer and trade a small plastic bag for money. I didn't think much of it.
What I did think about was how my friend's house had a cool closet full of swords, machetes and survival knives. "Wow, that is so cool! You should bring some into school tomorrow!"
He did. And and when a teacher noticed a child with a backpack full of deadly weapons it meant a call to the police. Dumbass ended up getting his father raided LMAO
Sounds like hell on Earth. I hate being near grifters, charlatans, or idiots.

Go_Ly_Dow

Ex-council estates on the coast or in the North are probably still rough as fuck and I would be eaten alive if I lived there.

But the ones around here in the South East that are well connected to places like London by train or Cambridge are now worth an absolute fortune in comparison to the cost to buy. Over 10x in my parents scenario which is pricey for even the middle class.

A 2/3 bedroom ex council house in Cambridge will set you back 500-700grand easily. 🤡

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No but where I grew up there was block of council flats and I used to hang out with the kids. Though one day someone claimed I insulted some girls dead mum and she got a knife to stab me.

I ran more like scurried home home after just having recently broken my leg up the local adventure playground called “The Dumps”

Anyway I remember the girl coming to my house my mum talking to her and the girl in tears about her mum and everyone being sympathetic apparently the stabbing me talk was a joke but I was bang out of order etc. I didn’t even insult her mum I never met her up until that day or to use a phrase I didn’t know her form Adam She was an older kid. I was about 14/15 I think. Anyway. Still hung out up their after had some good mates there

Fun times.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
From the sounds of it, I would have preferred to grow up on a council estate in the UK rather than the just plain old poor neighborhood I grew up in (which is now loaded with expensive condos and nice little shops, but basically looked like those run down pics you shared, just with a beach).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yep, grew up on some weird semi council, semi ex-council estate. It was an absolute blast growing up there in the 90s. Very, very different time where practically all the kids in the nearby streets hung out together, all the parents of those kids would just leave their doors wide open in the day and we'd hang out at whoever's house we felt like until it was time to go out again.

Not saying it's necessarily a great idea, or that it's a shame that society's moved the way it has, but it was a wild time and I'm so glad I got to experience the last of that. Didn't matter that none of us had much money, you'd still be able to buy your corner shop sweets, or pool money together and share a pack of Pokémon cards, and we'd all borrow each other's chipped PS1 games. Or shit, just playing blockie off, which had a different name in every town (blockie 123, 40-40).

Feeling nostalgic this morning apparently.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Grew up in a loyalist council estate just outside of Belfast and it had some characters can remember back before it got proper bad as a kid riding the big dipper lorries as we called em all the way up to a quarry on the outskirts, we'd hide in the bushes at a bend on the outskirts of the estate as the lorry slowed down we'd run out jump on the back and then climb up and the lorry would take us all the way up to the quarry wered we would jump off and then play surrounded by a million things that could go wrong and kill you, cops would catch you fucking around, slap you over the head and then take you home then your parents would give you several more slaps, also everyone in the area knew everyone else so you couldn't get away with shit as mum's talked and they all looked out for everyone else's kid, if one kid was being a bully some mum would slap him and take home then his ma would slap some sense into him lol, good times then the troubles kicked in proper and it went a wee bit awry

Last edited:

I've had a few experiences and found them havens of drugs, mental illness, loose dogs and domestic violence. It only takes one cunt to ruin an area for 50 decent people, and there are always plenty of bad eggs scattered throughout.

The bastards won't let you sleep, ride scramble bikes down pavements, attack random people for fun and will happily rob their neighbours; but they are untouchable as the police don't give a shit and the weediest little scrotum soon has 20 man gangs when they start dealing / allowing their home to be the local drug den. Even when you sort one out, another is shipped in.

I would plan to have any outside movements done by 3pm before the arsehole element got out of bed.

I feel sorry for the folks who had better times in years gone by and bought their homes. The first aspiration for most tidy people is to leave.

RagnarokIV

On a mental wine bender and remembering the old days again... Sorry for the bump.

My highschool was a shithole and in my final year the headmaster retired.

In his place came a posh old bender from a private school. We're talking mega money for a term. He was due to retire but wanted to go out as a legend, one big final career move. THE MAN who sorted out this shit ugly school...

Three days in and there was a kid being punched up in a hallway by 3 boys. The headmaster steps in with some king james edition bible shite "cease this meaningless violence at once you dastard whippersnappers!"

The kids stop beating up the lad and one of them walks to the headmaster "you fuck off and mind your own business you stupid old cunt or I'll fucken fill you in aswell you cunt!"

The school was shut down shortly after.

A real hideous estate was the Peckham Rye estate in South East London in the 80s and 90s, along with the Stonebridge Park estate in NW London Horrific places. Oh and not forgetting the notorious Broadwater Farm estate in Tottenham.

PSYGN

Hmm, some of those look like regular British houses I see on tv

Edit: Oh, that was a picture of a good council estate. I guess that's what I see on tv sometimes

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
A real hideous estate was the Peckham Rye estate in South East London in the 80s and 90s, along with the Stonebridge Park estate in NW London Horrific places. Oh and not forgetting the notorious Broadwater Farm estate in Tottenham.
This thread has me asking a big question: Where does Trainspotting fit in all of this? 🍻

Council estates are a little bit more lenient on you being "soft" these days. Walked through the trenches the other day and there was some Goff lad wearing Tanjiro's earrings from Demon Slayer. Must be from a hard family, back when I was coming up in 2005 if I wore them I'd get jumped and get them ripped out my ears.

simpatico

Mate, we've heard about the 26C heat emergency you guys are going through. You'll probably die from heat exhaustion before reading this, but if by some chance you do read it, order a window AC from Temu.

Dr.D00p

This thread brought back repressed memories of taking the train by myself at a young age visiting me cousins in Clapham South

I'm American and thought you lot all lived in Castles and see this shit

Fucking Hell

swc4gnuoxlu71.jpg

Most of these type of developments are being demolished now and are being replaced with new, much higher quality housing made from traditional materials that fit in with their surrounding areas, like this..

Tams

Grew up in a loyalist council estate just outside of Belfast and it had some characters can remember back before it got proper bad as a kid riding the big dipper lorries as we called em all the way up to a quarry on the outskirts, we'd hide in the bushes at a bend on the outskirts of the estate as the lorry slowed down we'd run out jump on the back and then climb up and the lorry would take us all the way up to the quarry wered we would jump off and then play surrounded by a million things that could go wrong and kill you, cops would catch you fucking around, slap you over the head and then take you home then your parents would give you several more slaps, also everyone in the area knew everyone else so you couldn't get away with shit as mum's talked and they all looked out for everyone else's kid, if one kid was being a bully some mum would slap him and take home then his ma would slap some sense into him lol, good times then the troubles kicked in proper and it went a wee bit awry

And nowadays the police will turn up if a kid is even as much as lightly touched and the social services be involved.

End result? Untouchable little shites who can do whatever they want.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Most of these type of developments are being demolished now and are being replaced with new, much higher quality housing made from traditional materials that fit in with their surrounding areas, like this..

Anyone been to Lewisham recently. It is looking like a mini mega city one. Lots of mini high rises. Now they want to demolish the shopping centre I reckon it will be a mini Stratford in style.

There are some extremely rough parts of Wales. Council estates weren't originally like this. There was a time when the majority of people living in in them were employed but as those who could move out did, those who didn't work stayed resulting in what you see now. I have seen everything from a skinned fox on a fence, to a cows head on a stick. Even once was asked what did I see when I walked passed a man taking a big bag out the back of a van.

nush

There are some extremely rough parts of Wales. Council estates weren't originally like this. There was a time when the majority of people living in in them were employed but as those who could move out did, those who didn't work stayed resulting in what you see now. I have seen everything from a skinned fox on a fence, to a cows head on a stick. Even once was asked what did I see when I walked passed a man taking a big bag out the back of a van.
They ship unemployed people from around the country to these council estates as well. The one I stayed in briefly had a lot of people from the south living there up north. There's a lot of housing around old coal mining villages.

Top Bottom