• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

DeaDPo0L84

Southwest cancels more than 2,000 flights this week.

Southwest implements vaccine mandate 7 days ago.

Southwest promises the cancellations have nothing to do with the mandates.

Establishment media covers for them by lying to the American public.

Most of the country doesn't care that our media is essentially what Chinese State Media has been for decades.

ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif
Me and my wife flew back into town this past Sunday and we were really confused why the terminals for southwest were extremely backed up yet everyone else seemed relatively normal. It wasn't until Monday it became clear why. Glad to see people having an impact when standing up against these mandates.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Me and my wife flew back into town this past Sunday and we were really confused why the terminals for southwest were extremely backed up yet everyone else seemed relatively normal. It wasn't until Monday it became clear why. Glad to see people having an impact when standing up against these mandates.
What people?

DeaDPo0L84

What people?
I've been reading up on different reports since the last time so there's a lot more information. Still all seems a bit too coincidental and also odd they chose to lie about why the delays were occurring. All the same it was a really shitty situation and happy to not get caught up in it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Yes. In a perfect world we'd all have the time to dig into the validity of every story and every source.

CNN is responsible for what CNN publishes. The name gets tarred when enough stories are proven to be BS.

My violin for CNNs diminished reputation will stay in its case.
It's not about violins, it's not even about CNN, it's about your ability to live as a functioning human. If you don't know how to process information and you go around believing the sky is yellow because CNN said it was blue, that becomes your problem.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I've been reading up on different reports since the last time so there's a lot more information. Still all seems a bit too coincidental and also odd they chose to lie about why the delays were occurring. All the same it was a really shitty situation and happy to not get caught up in it.
Reality not being what you expected it to be =/= they chose to lie.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's not about violins, it's not even about CNN, it's about your ability to live as a functioning human. If you don't know how to process information and you go around believing the sky is yellow because CNN said it was blue, that becomes your problem.

CNN says the sky is yellow.

"Ivermectin is prescribed to billions" is also a lie, not nearly that amount of people live in the countries where it is used. Billions of doses were taken but not by billions of people

Thaedolus

Gold Member
That’s not what happened.

SF Kosmo

CNN says the sky is yellow.
No they don't, dude, that's my point. If a source is wrong, say, 5% of the time, they're considered ridiculously unreliable for a newspaper and it's fair to criticize them for that and maintain some skepticism, but that doesn't mean you can just believe the opposite of everything they print. 95% of it is still accurate.

You act like news outlets are the Dezolans from Phantasy Star and they all either always lie or always tell the truth. It doesn't work like that. You have to use your brain

Last edited:

Irobot82

Alright everyone. Friday I started to have a tickle in my throat. It became rougher by Sunday. Monday and Tuesday the throat wasn't bad but I had congestion and achy muscles and lower back. By Wednesday I felt ok but bad in the morning. Today, morning sucks. I stuck my head in a coffee can and I can't smell anything. I also can't taste anything. I drank a Florida Man Double IPA from Cigar City last night and couldn't taste it. No rear tongue hit or anything. So no smell/taste. Pretty sure it's Covid. I was double vaxd with Moderna back in June.

Alright everyone. Friday I started to have a tickle in my throat. It became rougher by Sunday. Monday and Tuesday the throat wasn't bad but I had congestion and achy muscles and lower back. By Wednesday I felt ok but bad in the morning. Today, morning sucks. I stuck my head in a coffee can and I can't smell anything. I also can't taste anything. I drank a Florida Man Double IPA from Cigar City last night and couldn't taste it. No rear tongue hit or anything. So no smell/taste. Pretty sure it's Covid. I was double vaxd with Moderna back in June.

get yourself tested

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just got word my cousin’s wife is home finally, weeks in the ICU. Still on a lot of oxygen, tons of monitors hooked into some monitoring network, can’t be alone, can’t walk more than five steps at a time, etc. but she avoided being intubated and should make it. No idea how her QOL will be long term.

poppabk

Got my Pfizer booster last Friday and was pretty much down all weekend. Fucking sucked ass, neither prior shot hit me like that.
I can't get mine for another month, but the second one kicked my ass for a day so I am definitely gonna schedule the booster at the beginning of the work week!

cr0w

Old Member
Just got word my cousin’s wife is home finally, weeks in the ICU. Still on a lot of oxygen, tons of monitors hooked into some monitoring network, can’t be alone, can’t walk more than five steps at a time, etc. but she avoided being intubated and should make it. No idea how her QOL will be long term.

Sorry to hear. The "it's just a flu" and "99.8% survival rate!" bullshit conveniently ignores people who are suffering long-term issues from both the virus and the resulting hospital stay. It's fucking hard on the body to go through some of the procedures people are having to go through just to breathe...you don't just get discharged from the hospital and happily skip home whistling a tune after weeks of being bed-ridden and hooked up to machines.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No they don't, dude, that's my point. If a source is wrong, say, 5% of the time, they're considered ridiculously unreliable for a newspaper and it's fair to criticize them for that and maintain some skepticism, but that doesn't mean you can just believe the opposite of everything they print. 95% of it is still accurate.

You act like news outlets are the Dezolans from Phantasy Star and they all either always lie or always tell the truth. It doesn't work like that. You have to use your brain

I think I should clarify my position because you seem to be accusing me of something I'm not.

My position has never been "100% of what establishment media says is a lie." That's ridiculous. Obviously there are certain news stories where lying doesn't benefit them, so they dont. However, they've proven 100 times over that they're willing to lie to the American public if it benefits them. Some people, not all, value integrity in individuals, groups, organizations etc. They don't have any.

They've lost credibility on highly politicized issues for the majority of Americans.

This particular story (negative effects of vaccine mandates) have a rotten fish smell you can sense from a mile away. I'm not 100% certain they're lying about this story, but they're long past getting the benefit of the doubt from me. I'll do what most reasonable people do in this scenario. I'll maintain a high degree of skepticism and go about my day. Then I'll see how this story unfolds in the coming weeks. It's a strategy that has served me well in the past.

Btw, I'm not sure if you recognize this but liars employ certain strategies to get you to believe them. I'm sure you've been approached at a gas station by someone who's said "Hey man, can I just get $10 dollars, my car broke down around the corner and my kids are stuck crying, and I left my wallet at my wife's place."

They know you don't have the energy to burn checking in on all their stories. It's a muddy water tactic. So when establishment media tells you the flight cancellations were a result of "military testing, bad weather, and air traffic control issues, among other things..." hopefully you spot the similarity.

This particular story (negative effects of vaccine mandates) have a rotten fish smell you can sense from a mile away. I'm not 100% certain they're lying about this story, but they're long past getting the benefit of the doubt from me. I'll do what most reasonable people do in this scenario. I'll maintain a high degree of skepticism and go about my day. Then I'll see how this story unfolds in the coming weeks. It's a strategy that has served me well in the past.

this story you completely made up or are echoing without thinking about you’re going to wash your hands of and hope that the establishment allows the truth to come out in an unspecified time, weak

SF Kosmo

I think I should clarify my position because you seem to be accusing me of something I'm not.

My position has never been "100% of what establishment media says is a lie." That's ridiculous. Obviously there are certain news stories where lying doesn't benefit them, so they dont. However, they've proven 100 times over that they're willing to lie to the American public if it benefits them. Some people, not all, value integrity in individuals, groups, organizations etc. They don't have any.
This is equally (and in many cases more) true of partisan alternative media. So again, what a real skeptic does is learn how to read an article and not think in terms of the logo on the screen.

Just because CNN is unreliable or biased doesn't mean that OANN isn't wholesale disinformation with biases of its own.

This leaves you with two choices: learn how to process information, or be misinformed about shit. There is simply no third option.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is equally (and in many cases more) true of partisan alternative media. So again, what a real skeptic does is learn how to read an article and not think in terms of the logo on the screen.

Just because CNN is unreliable or biased doesn't mean that OANN isn't wholesale disinformation.

You have two choices, learn how to process information, or be misinformed about shit. There is simply no third option.

Odd tactic you're employing here. Though, to be honest it's pretty obvious.

Me: Establishment media (majority left wing) can't be trusted.

You: So you just blindly believe right wing establishment media?!

Me: Le sigh...

I heard OJ won his murder case back in the 90s because his attorneys placed the focus of the case on the system, rather than on what OJ did or didn't do.

Keep employing bizarre tactics. It works on some apparently...

As long as I waited for these lies...sorry, mistakes.

that’s not an answer, you say that you are not 100% convinced they’re lying yet at the same time you’re convinced that we are in the before stage…these are contradictory positions

if you think we are in a before stage then you must also think there will be an after stage, and so you have already taken a position despite your projection of that onto me

you either haven’t really thought about this or don’t want to really think about, but in your attempt to clarify your position you’ve done nothing of the sort

the irony being that by not wanting to talk about either the actual story (South West cancellations) or your made up stories (media are lying about it), you have become the story here…is that what you wanted?

Last edited:

poppabk

Southwest cancels more than 2,000 flights this week.

Southwest implements vaccine mandate 7 days ago.

Southwest promises the cancellations have nothing to do with the mandates.

Establishment media covers for them by lying to the American public.

Most of the country doesn't care that our media is essentially what Chinese State Media has been for decades.

ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

Some people, not all, value integrity in individuals, groups, organizations etc. They don't have any.

They've lost credibility on highly politicized issues for the majority of Americans.

I'll do what most reasonable people do in this scenario. I'll maintain a high degree of skepticism and go about my day. Then I'll see how this story unfolds in the coming weeks. It's a strategy that has served me well in the past.
Nice to see you don't hold yourself to these high standards of integrity. This whole conversation started because you stated unequivocally that the media was lying.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
that’s not an answer, you say that you are not 100% convinced they’re lying yet at the same time you’re convinced that we are in the before stage…these are contradictory positions

if you think we are in a before stage then you must also think there will be an after stage, and so you have already taken a position despite your projection of that onto me

you either haven’t really thought about this or don’t want to really think about, but in your attempt to clarify your position you’ve done nothing of the sort

the irony being that by not wanting to talk about either the actual story (South West cancellations) or your made up stories (media are lying about it), you have become the story here…is that what you wanted?

I'm not 100 percent convinced they're lying. I'm more in the extremely likely camp.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nice to see you don't hold yourself to these high standards of integrity. This whole conversation started because you stated unequivocally that the media was lying.

Chinese State Media doesn't lie 100 percent of the time.

"High degree of skepticism" does not mean certainty.

I think media should be held to a higher standard than myself considering how important their job is.

Choose 1, 2, or 3. They all apply here.

poppabk

Chinese State Media doesn't lie 100 percent of the time.

"High degree of skepticism" does not mean certainty.

I think media should be held to a higher standard than myself considering how important their job is.

Choose 1, 2, or 3. They all apply here.
"Southwest promises the cancellations have nothing to do with the mandates.

Establishment media covers for them by lying to the American public."
This sounds like certainty to me.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I thought the Gupta Rogan episode was good from what I heard. Rogan was cordial and brought up good counters while allowing Gupta to back up his side.

That said, I couldn't listen to all of it, I'm so tired of the COVID debates at this point.

SF Kosmo

Odd tactic you're employing here. Though, to be honest it's pretty obvious.

Me: Establishment media (majority left wing) can't be trusted.

You: So you just blindly believe right wing establishment media?!

Me: Le sigh...

I heard OJ won his murder case back in the 90s because his attorneys placed the focus of the case on the system, rather than on what OJ did or didn't do.

Keep employing bizarre tactics. It works on some apparently...
More like:

You: I can't be bothered to read into everything so I just look at if the publication is on my "trustworthy" list.

Me: That's a good way to be a dumbass in 2021.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
then you can accept there is a possibility that they're not lying, and that there isn't a "before all the facts" stage, right?

High degree of skepticism leaves room for them to be telling the truth. Alas, my high degree if skepticism around this story remains. Let's see what gets revealed over the next few weeks.

More like:

You: I can't be bothered to read into everything so I just look at if the publication is on my "trustworthy" list.

Me: That's a good way to be a dumbass in 2021.

Exactly. There aren't many Americans who can keep up with the 24 hour news cycle. Looking into every fishy story takes a lot of time and effort that most people don't want to spend.

Try reading about HALT and consider leaving childish insults on the scrap heap.

Top Bottom