• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

dcll

Banned
bekrnqq.png

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The real number might not be a tenth of what has been counted. They've been marking hospice deaths as covid.
Deaths within 28 days are reflected in the daily numbers reported, but death certificates are then reviewed to confirm the diagnoses and case numbers are revised. In the UK, this is done by the Office of National Statistics. In the USA, this is done by the CDC. The lag time for this is several weeks because certificates take time to fill out and need to be manually reviewed before they are entered as vital statistics. The 28 days statistics may include some people who did not die of COVID, but they also miss the significant number of patients who died of COVID 28 days after diagnosis. The two balance each other out - there has not been any revision of covid death numbers on the order of a "tenth" of what was reported.

The ONS data shows that there have been 126,902 deaths in the England and Wales as of October 1st where COVID 19 was listed as the underlying cause by the physician, which is similar to the real time data we get from the 28 day number.
Deaths solely from COVID-19 rather than deaths within 28-days of a positive test - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)
Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales, provisional - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

Last edited:

FireFly

So the whole "UK infection rates higher among vaccinated" story, was due to inaccurate population data:

(More details in thread)

When you estimate the unvaccinated population by removing the number of vaccinated from the total, that total population figure matters quite a bit. Not that I expect this to stop spreading now.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Ad1. Then how will you explain that between lockdowns the number of cases kept rising, and the number of people in ICU also kept rising, putting strain on the hospital system? I don't know if Swedes are just more responsible as a nation, but if that's the case - there are also some nations that are less than responsible, where lockdowns are unfortunately necessary. How is that difficult to understand?

Ad2. "It causes a huge distress to the family" - ah yes, the thought of having to care for shit-attitude grandma and grandpa that raised you but later (as many old people) turned into a terrible human being must be causing a lot of pain. Listen, pretend all you like, it's a fact that for many families putting their relatives in the nursery house is a relief.

Chaplain

"A study earlier this month found that anxiety and depression around the world increased dramatically in 2020, with an estimated 76m extra cases of anxiety and 53m extra cases of major depressive disorder than would have been expected had Covid not struck. Women and young people were disproportionately affected, the researchers said." (10/17/21)

edited

Last edited:

QSD

Here's a discussion hosted by Braver Angels between Vaxx skeptics and an ICU doctor. I haven't listened to it yet but posting here because it will probably be interesting

EDIT: boy both these guys are so stereotypical it almost seems fake. But what I'm hearing over and over again in different words is NO TRUST NO TRUST NO TRUST

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Figures he's an anti-vaxxer taking a bunch of snake oil.

At least he was smart enough to seek one of the few treatments that actually work (Regeneron). All of these anti-vaxxers talk their dumb shit but as soon as they get sick it's "GIVE ME THE FAST-TRACKED EXPERIMENTAL TREATMENT THAT WORKS STAT! HERE'S A BUNCH OF MONEY GIVE IT TO ME! Oh also I took Flintstone's vitamins, some drug meant to treat things that aren't viruses, and my wife has been blowing smoke from oak tree leaves up my ass for several days so I should be good".

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When he gets better, the other unproved medications will probably get credit for his recovery along with the Regeneron that is proven to work, creating a misleading impression about the efficacy of HCQ via association fallacy.

Figures he's an anti-vaxxer taking a bunch of snake oil.

At least he was smart enough to seek one of the few treatments that actually work (Regeneron). All of these anti-vaxxers talk their dumb shit but as soon as they get sick it's "GIVE ME THE FAST-TRACKED EXPERIMENTAL TREATMENT THAT WORKS STAT! HERE'S A BUNCH OF MONEY GIVE IT TO ME! Oh also I took Flintstone's vitamins, some drug meant to treat things that aren't viruses, and my wife has been blowing smoke from oak tree leaves up my ass for several days so I should be good".
I love how they preach "natural immunity" but then they take a bunch of drugs to compensate for their immune system.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I love how they preach "natural immunity" but then they take a bunch of drugs to compensate for their immune system.
I work out 5 times a day and take every single vitamin. You can have your experimental gene therapy, I'll take my chances with my natural immune system and a sprinkle of good old fashioned rat cancer cell antibodies .

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I work out 5 times a day and take every single vitamin. You can have your experimental gene therapy, I'll take my chances with my natural immune system and a sprinkle of good old fashioned rat cancer cell antibodies .

Gene therapy haha.

I mean I laugh, but if I wasn't I'd be crying. It's so sad to these takes in 2021 and so far into this pandemic.

Edit: oh nm it's Peru. Sorry man! I am really tired, didn't realize it was sarcasm. But can you blame me given some of the posters in these COVID threads?

Last edited:
Nutrition is and will always be a big part of a healthy body and its ability to regulate its natural processes, but it's not the hail marry of preventing illness and death many people think it is. The immune system is not perfect and can make many mistakes (autoimmune disease) or an overreaction in the form of severe inflammation (meningitis) that puts your health at risk.

EDIT: I know you were joking but still wanted to point it out for the other users.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Why don’t all the young people getting cancer don’t take chances with their ‘natural immune systems’? All of them fucking weaklings, I tell ya.

Last edited:
Why don’t all the young people getting cancer don’t take chances with their ‘natural immune systems’? All of them fucking weaklings, I tell ya.
Imagine if they were diagnosed with HIV. "No thanks doctor I don't need your planned treatment, my natural immunity will beat this virus before Christmas."

That's exactly how you know that the vast majority of them have oppositional defiance disorder to the vaccine, because politics beliefs told them to have that, and not because they don't actually want to get sick. They have allowed themselves to be manipulated and told to make the wrong decisions, and they actually fucking did it.

It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Looks like military testing, weather, air traffic control issues, and my kids are in my car just around the corner can I get $10 for gas is a pretty effective negotiating tactic.

#BelieveKatieCouric
Or United receiving an injunction from the courts against implementing the exact same mandate gave southwestern an out.

sinnergy

Wouldn’t help you one bit against a virus the evades your body .. I know because I had an almost unclassified virus when I was 18… it kicked my ass , and took 3 years of my life, and I was athletic, karate , track running , competitive swimming and eating right .. with COVID it’s looks more like it’s genetic , Russian roulette.

I am pro vaccine but i am 100% againist mandate. Since point, there ARE people who die from the vaccine and you cannot sue the drugmaker for the death. If it is mandatory and someone die from it, who do you blame? Drug maker who made the drug or the government who mdnate its requirement

I am pro vaccine but i am 100% againist mandate. Since point, there ARE people who die from the vaccine and you cannot sue the drugmaker for the death. If it is mandatory and someone die from it, who do you blame? Drug maker who made the drug or the government who mdnate its requirement

the short answer is in America you can’t really blame the drug maker or the government, at least in the sense of getting legal compensation out of them, but there are recourses with varying success rates

Nobody is going to take the blame. The ones in charge followed "science" because of fear and the others followed orders.

the short answer is in America you can’t really blame the drug maker or the government, at least in the sense of getting legal compensation out of them, but there are recourses with varying success rates

Which is why a mandate is a bad idea. It is highly recommanded to get the vaccine but when you get to the point where it is mandatory and there is possibility of death, it is a different story

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is kind of a strange take.
"I don't believe in a mandate because we can't sue for damages"
As for who do you blame - the same people if you take it without a mandate in place.

This is kind of a strange take.
"I don't believe in a mandate because we can't sue for damages"
As for who do you blame - the same people if you take it without a mandate in place.
More like that government is forcing people to take a vaccine that can potentially kill them. That why mandate is so bad. It is one thing a person take the vaccine out of their own free will/choice. It is another being forced to take it and it can potentially kill you.

Thaedolus

Cousin’s wife update: about 1/3 of her lower lungs are permanently scarred/worthless. She’ll be on O2 the rest of her life. She can’t work, and can take about 5 steps before running out of breath. She may improve some over time but is going to have to learn to live with being permanently disabled, and between medical bills from being in the ICU for weeks and lost income and 2 of 4 kids still living at home…it’s going to be a tough time.

She’s one of the people that got COVID and survived just like me, but goddamn if that stat doesn’t tell the whole story

Loki

Count of Concision
Cousin’s wife update: about 1/3 of her lower lungs are permanently scarred/worthless. She’ll be on O2 the rest of her life. She can’t work, and can take about 5 steps before running out of breath. She may improve some over time but is going to have to learn to live with being permanently disabled, and between medical bills from being in the ICU for weeks and lost income and 2 of 4 kids still living at home…it’s going to be a tough time.

She’s one of the people that got COVID and survived just like me, but goddamn if that stat doesn’t tell the whole story

Jesus. That's terrible. It's amazing that we're 20 months into this pandemic and so little is known about why certain people have such strong reactions and others don't.

More like that government is forcing people to take a vaccine that can potentially kill them. That why mandate is so bad. It is one thing a person take the vaccine out of their own free will/choice. It is another being forced to take it and it can potentially kill you.

You're not being forced. You can take to testing or you can quit your job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom