• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I take your point, but with respect I'd offer to you my opinion that this is a very important subject that is worthy of being hashed out publicly.

What's more its an evolving situation. Each day brings greater clarity in terms of understanding the epidemiology and pathogenicity of Covid, all the while the social/political pressure seems to me to be continually ratcheted up. Its why my focus has increasingly shifted towards the larger social and political ramifications of policy decisions, rather than strictly the medicene/virology itself.

Yesterday I read that I guy I worked with (semi famous here and in the games industry generally) 20 years ago had died at the age of 51 as a result of Covid. And of course both here and Resetera constantly bubbling up was the question was he vaccinated*, and the implication that if he wasn't he somehow deserved what happened to him.

That's fucking monstrous. Especially when there's a personal connection.

And you see this sort of thing online constantly, people gleefully taking validation when some notable "anti-vaxxer" dies.

This is why I'm harping on about society going on a "dark path". This is a demonstrably real phenomenon that we all should be aware of.

*Sidenote: Big ups to the mods here for squashing that real fast. Wish the same could be said for elsewhere.
The general devaluing of life has been a worrying trend, but I see it a lot more from those who are against vaccines or lockdowns etc.
People who are overweight, have medical conditions, or those who have taken care of themselves enough to live a long life are disposable or their death is not significant.
Go back one page and you will find someone effectively saying that if say Clint Eastwood died of Covid we should consider that a net positive for society.
The thread for the passing of John Madden, which would normally be a celebration of his life and his impact, is peppered with people dismissing his death as basically a non-event because he was old and overweight.

sinnergy

The general devaluing of life has been a worrying trend, but I see it a lot more from those who are against vaccines or lockdowns etc.
People who are overweight, have medical conditions, or those who have taken care of themselves enough to live a long life are disposable or their death is not significant.
Go back one page and you will find someone effectively saying that if say Clint Eastwood died of Covid we should consider that a net positive for society.
The thread for the passing of John Madden, which would normally be a celebration of his life and his impact, is peppered with people dismissing his death as basically a non-event because he was old and overweight.
Yup, but maybe that insight comes with age .. if you are lucky to reach a respectable age .. 70/80

I always imagine most posters are around 20 - 30 years old here ..

Otherwise they should be ashamed. In the end we all get old and need support.

Last edited:

Chaplain

My wife is one of these individuals. A few months ago she noticed that her menstrual cycle doubled in length and was a lot more painful at times. She keeps a journal that goes back at least until 2015 for her menstrual cycle and the changes are significant. She talked to her OBGYN's office about her menstrual changes when this happened and the doctor's office said that they have had many calls from other women reporting the same problems months after having the vaccine. The office said there is nothing that can be done about this. :messenger_frowning_

edited

More confirmation of what many women have been experiencing (including my wife).

More COVID news from around the globe:

sinnergy

Bright minds who protest not letting their children take online courses 🤣 if this continues, I will be surrounded by even more morons .

Last edited:

QSD

to a certain extent this kind of thing always happens IMHO. If you read an article about someone who died in a car accident, it seems on the face of it to be a tragedy. But many factors can cause people to 'discount' the tragedy, like reports of reckless driving, bad vehicle maintenance, intoxication, etc etc. Also, generally, it will be considered more of a tragedy if a young person dies in a car accident than an old person, all other things being equal.
In psychology, such 'discounting' behaviour is often ascribed to what is called the 'just world hypothesis' - people like to believe that somehow everyone gets what they deserve (this makes the world seem more predictable and controllable) so if a seemingly random tragedy happens this threatens the hypothesis, thus people will start looking for 'justification' for the tragedy (e.g. 'he always was a reckless driver' - 'I told him he should've had his brakes checked months ago' etc etc) in order to uphold their implicit belief in a just world.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Fewer than half of hospital patients with COVID-19 were there because of the infection. Most were hospitalized with unrelated illnesses, the county said.

Narasumas

I can always remember the funk bros.
I think I possibly coined this months back…it’s the “almighty” funk bros. 😁
Why does this discussion continue to repeat itself every, single, day?
It happens because someone always comes in here to post their personal thoughts on COVID, usually not directed at anyone in particular, and to no avail, if it’s not in line with the bros. (and select others) they become the subject of a personal attack.

My whole thing is let people have opinions…but there is a tact on how to properly deal with people and you don’t always have to insert yourself into EVERY opinion that an “anti vaxxer” has.

They create the situation they wish to see. And many in here can’t let things go. That’s the answer in a nutshell.

carlosrox

Banned
boost conspiracy theorist views that COVID is nothing but a mangy cold that isn’t killing anyone and the governments are inserting robo chips into us

Congrats on the Strawman that approximately like 0.00000001% of people actually believe.

Disingenuous bullshit like this is what drives me up the wall when people talk about "cONspIrAcY tHeOrIsTS" and "aNTI vAXxeRs".

No-fuckin-body believes in shit like this aside from complete idiots or people taking the piss.

People saying they think COVID/the response to it has been pathetically overblown (and you're in complete denial if you think the fear mongering, paranoia, and propaganda isn't out of control) isn't the same as saying it doesn't exist, kills nobody, or it's some Bill Gates conspiracy.

Enough with the Strawman bullshit.

poppabk

Congrats on the Strawman that approximately like 0.00000001% of people actually believe.

Disingenuous bullshit like this is what drives me up the wall when people talk about "cONspIrAcY tHeOrIsTS" and "aNTI vAXxeRs".

No-fuckin-body believes in shit like this aside from complete idiots or people taking the piss.

People saying they think COVID/the response to it has been pathetically overblown (and you're in complete denial if you think the fear mongering, paranoia, and propaganda isn't out of control) isn't the same as saying it doesn't exist, kills nobody, or it's some Bill Gates conspiracy.

Enough with the Strawman bullshit.
A woman literally tried to stick metal objects to herself in an Ohio house hearing. The 5G and magnet stuff is in court documents and the like.

“There has been people who have long suspected there was some sort of an interface, yet to be defined, an interface between what’s being injected in these shots, and all of the 5G towers,” Tenpenny said - actual testimony by an invited 'expert' witness at the same hearing.

Never underestimate the credulity of your fellow man.

poppabk

This goes both ways.

And again, this is an infinitesimal amount of people.

Why should I care what these morons do any more than I care about people who try to pet Tigers?
Because the guy who tried to pet a tiger wasn't invited by a state lawmaker to give expert testimony to help decide new laws on tiger care.

carlosrox

Banned
Because the guy who tried to pet a tiger wasn't invited by a state lawmaker to give expert testimony to help decide new laws on tiger care.

Again, why should I care what this person has to say?

Cuz they're an "expert"?

Doesn't this just support my point that people shouldn't believe everything they hear/read? And that people who set a lot of theses rules and restrictions aren't necessarily right? So what if that person ended up helping set up a bunch of dumb shit? We'd all go along with it?

If people take stupid shit like that seriously then as far as I'm concerned it's on them.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
UK stats are in. Covid CFR approaches Flu. But it’s early days so some Delta still in those numbers.

52412707-10379471-The_Oxford_University_team_behind_Our_World_in_Data_estimates_th-a-5_1641580753103.jpg

52626949-10379471-MailOnline_analysis_shows_the_UK_s_case_fatality_rate_the_propor-a-18_1641576345562.jpg

I think I possibly coined this months back…it’s the “almighty” funk bros. 😁

no you didn’t, but let me ask you if this is what you enjoy making these weirdly passive aggressive remarks to posters you seem to have a weird grudge against?

I suppose I should be flattered with all this publicity I’m getting from you

poppabk

And this is the other side I was talking about.

I hope people who shit on "anti-vaxxers" are just as critical as nuts like this.
My kid, my trunk, my choice.
Obviously this is someone who is either extremely dumb, extremely scared or most likely both.

Narasumas

it’s the “almighty” funk bros. 😁

no you didn’t,
September:
Let’s see if we can let someone or anyone host an opinion different than the high and almighty “Funk” posters without personal attack. I haven’t seen it yet

Cool, I'm now part of "High and almighty "funk" posters" as well as the "fascist brain trust".
———
if this is what you enjoy making these weirdly passive aggressive remarks to posters you seem to have a weird grudge against?
I am not aggressive, nor passive aggressive with anyone in here. I actually respect everyone’s opinion, regardless of their stance. I think that’s what differentiates the two of us.
I already explained this in my last post.
you don’t always have to insert yourself into EVERY opinion that an “anti vaxxer” has.
You literally respond to me personally anytime I’m making an observation that isn’t to your line of thinking, even if it’s not directed to you. And you do it to others too.

And most times I read a post of yours I’m confused, because you accuse others of literally the exact things you do. It’s not a “weird grudge” dude…you actively and consistently seek this out as I’ve said before.

I have to end each time saying I won’t further indulge your bullshit…but then you pull a troll tactic. I should be smarter. Just give people space. There are now countless people claiming it’s you and a few others making this thread crappy for the rest of us. Look inward my friend.

September:

———

I am not aggressive, nor passive aggressive with anyone in here. I actually respect everyone’s opinion, regardless of their stance. I think that’s what differentiates the two of us.
I already explained this in my last post.

You literally respond to me personally anytime I’m making an observation that isn’t to your line of thinking, even if it’s not directed to you. And you do it to others too.

And most times I read a post of yours I’m confused, because you accuse others of literally the exact things you do. It’s not a “weird grudge” dude…you actively and consistently seek this out as I’ve said before.

I have to end each time saying I won’t further indulge your bullshit…but then you pull a troll tactic. I should be smarter. Just give people space. There are now countless people claiming it’s you and a few others making this thread crappy for the rest of us. Look inward my friend.

yes, “high and almighty”, a butchering of the phrase “ high and mighty” that implied how sanctimonious you think I am

it is the definition of passive aggressive to think you can refer to me and then not expect me to reply, it’s what you’re doing now and you must surely understand the irony and hypocrisy in your statements here, when you say I launch personal attacks on peoples opinions and you give me coined ad hominem attacks like “high and almighty”… you understand the hypocrisy here right?

if you or the “countless” people think I make this thread miserable you have options but you choose this way, so if you really don’t want to indulge my bullshit you will stop actually thinking you’re above it all, you would stop the “talking about you, not to you” act you’re pulling out of now, and engage with me directly

but you won’t, because you’re more comfortable from the sidelines

Narasumas

yes, “high and almighty”, a butchering of the phrase “ high and mighty” that implied how sanctimonious you think I am

it is the definition of passive aggressive to think you can refer to me and then not expect me to reply, it’s what you’re doing now and you must surely understand the irony and hypocrisy in your statements here, when you say I launch personal attacks on peoples opinions and you give me coined ad hominem attacks like “high and almighty”… you understand the hypocrisy here right?

if you or the “countless” people think I make this thread miserable you have options but you choose this way, so if you really don’t want to indulge my bullshit you will stop actually thinking you’re above it all, you would stop the “talking about you, not to you” act you’re pulling out of now, and engage with me directly

but you won’t, because you’re more comfortable from the sidelines
No sweat keep doing you Gunther. I’ll let the track record of other’s similar perception be the pudding proof. I’m more comfortable from the sidelines because my identity and available time are not committed to GAF. Seriously, I’m not after conflict or drama. But fucking cut some people some slack.

No sweat keep doing you Gunther. I’ll let the track record of other’s similar perception be the pudding proof. I’m more comfortable from the sidelines because my identity and available time are not committed to GAF. Seriously, I’m not after conflict or drama. But fucking cut some people some slack.

Again your actions betray your words, otherwise why would you seek to insult specific posters third hand in a thread they participate in if you were not after conflict or drama? Do you see how that creates more of it?

You can keep to the peanut gallery, and you can keep acting surprised anytime someone looks up at you.

I guess my & other’s peanut eating was affected. But, you got Gunther! No problem man…have a great day!

not others, just yours, since we’re currently just having a dialogue…I was expecting to have a great year

I really don’t have the energy to argue with you. it plays out the same way every time. Have a good ‘22 Gunther.

but you couldn’t last a week

Hari Seldon

The spread of omnicromable is entirely a failure of our testing capacity. Two years into this and after Christmas tests are impossible to find, the fastest test I could get was 2 days of waiting for results. Luckily this shit was weak as fuck.

Laieon

That testing site is literally right across the street from a friend of mine.

As a teacher who lives in that district (but doesn't work for it, although I have in the past), I'm surprised she cares at this point. Half our kids aren't masked up, our government has made it clear that their official policy is "if you die, you die", and schools are at the point where they're trying to find coverage because teachers and staff are out sick (we have one school in the district I work for that has 20 teachers out right now and subs are near impossible to find), be it from COVID, the flu, or something else (our weather has been all over the place the past couple weeks which definitely isn't helping). Last year my school was enforcing masks, temperature checking, and had a bunch of COVID protocols, this year? Nothing. I came to terms months ago that if I get COVID, I get COVID. That's why I'm vacced and boosted, hopefully if/when I get it it's tolerable.

Malakhov

Banned
Why is this discussion still going on? I don't mean the "news" or "updates to the pandemic" ... I mean the ongoing simmering discussions which involves the same few people, on both sides, arguing and getting nowhere.

Lets be clear here, there's the few people raging (usually) and calling people anti-vaxxers (or other insulting names, as evidenced above) - @FunkMiller, funkygunther funkygunther and some others, sorry if I forgot your usernames, I can always remember the funk bros.

Then there's those on the opposite side of the discussion who feel general health is as important as a quick fix vaccine and forcing people out of jobs due to no jabs is wrong etc, such as @Clear & Malakhov Malakhov plus others who, again, I forget the usernames of (or just cant be bothered tagging everyone ...)

Neither side is going to convince the others. Both sides have their reasons for their stance. Why does this discussion continue to repeat itself every, single, day?

Seriously, go look in other topics, stop being so addicted to Covid, move on, do other things, live your lives.
Yeah I've picked up miniatures painting, and put these from the circle jerk on ignore. It's much better that way

Malakhov

Banned
Taste and smell loss are from the previous strains, it’s very rare with omicron to have those happen.
Yeah I thought I had omicron but got confirmed it was delta, a member pointed here it might be delta because of the loss of taste, and it was that

Super dangerous delta 🤡

carlosrox

Banned
Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
With sooOOOooooo many people dropping dead worldwide it's sure interesting to me how they have to make a fear mongering article about every single "anti-vaxxer" that dies from it.
Probably just hopeful the other morons will finally catch on.

Jaysen

Banned
What about the people who indeed have gotten the vaccine and died from it? What were they? Were they morons or were they smart?
They were smart. They protected themselves the best they could, as well as those around them. As opposed to complete idiots who do nothing and endanger everyone they come into contact with. Especially the idiots who aren’t simply anti-vax but vocally conspiratorial about it, begging for the heads of actual intelligent people.

Idiots like this:

“After Weldon's death, her QAnon allies threatened to pursue violent action against staff at the hospital where she died. Scott McKay, a QAnon personality known as the "Patriot Streetfighter," said he would publicize the names of doctors and nurses involved in treating Weldon, saying he wanted to "put the fear into these medical professionals" in a Telegram post. McKay proposed the hospital staff be sentenced to death, or be murdered in vigilante violence.”

Last edited:

Hardensoul

My biggest issue with this pandemic is there is no promotion of treatment, but only push towards vaccines. For us who have or going to have Covid how do we get treatment? I had and just recovered from Covid. Got symptoms a before Christmas eve. I just did a 1k mile road trip to visit my sister and her family. But both us got Covid and couple days later her Husband got sick too. I am vaccinated but my sister and her husband was not.

We search for treatment and could not find anything but the recommendation is isolation and take meds to keep fever down. We took a lot of vitamin C/D and theraflu/Nyquil. Nyquil help me sleep. Initially had fever then body ache(Did not lose taste but with the meds we took that was only thing we tasted lol), we were bed ridden for 3 days. The biggest issue later has our lungs were shot, we found it had to breath, can only take short breaths and could not take deep breaths. We had to avoid doing strenuous movements because it was hard to breath.

I lost about 15lbs those days. A day before new years eve we were recovering, no fever, body aches were gone. But our stamina was shot and breathing was still an issue. If I take deep breaths, I would cough so much(which was only time I ever cough uncontrollably). We had to force ourselves to eat to even though we weren't hungry, mom taught us keep eating when sick(Thanks Mom RiP - we lost our mom back in June -not from Covid).

I recovered and symptom free and just did my 1k road trip back home Jan 5. That's my Covid story.

Again, my biggest issue is no promotion of treatment. We all hear about Joe Rogan and Aaron Rodgers treatments and how other politicians and celebrities recover from Covid within 3 days and symptom free. But us commoners aren't getting any official treatment guidance, if there are why no promotion?

Jaysen

Banned
My biggest issue with this pandemic is there is no promotion of treatment, but only push towards vaccines. For us who have or going to have Covid how do we get treatment? I had and just recovered from Covid. Got symptoms a before Christmas eve. I just did a 1k mile road trip to visit my sister and her family. But both us got Covid and couple days later her Husband got sick too. I am vaccinated but my sister and her husband was not.

We search for treatment and could not find anything but the recommendation is isolation and take meds to keep fever down. We took a lot of vitamin C/D and theraflu/Nyquil. Nyquil help me sleep. Initially had fever then body ache(Did not lose taste but with the meds we took that was only thing we tasted lol), we were bed ridden for 3 days. The biggest issue later has our lungs were shot, we found it had to breath, can only take short breaths and could not take deep breaths. We had to avoid doing strenuous movements because it was hard to breath.

I lost about 15lbs those days. A day before new years eve we were recovering, no fever, body aches were gone. But our stamina was shot and breathing was still an issue. If I take deep breaths, I would cough so much(which was only time I ever cough uncontrollably). We had to force ourselves to eat to even though we weren't hungry, mom taught us keep eating when sick(Thanks Mom RiP - we lost our mom back in June -not from Covid).

I recovered and symptom free and just did my 1k road trip back home Jan 5. That's my Covid story.

Again, my biggest issue is no promotion of treatment. We all hear about Joe Rogan and Aaron Rodgers treatments and how other politicians and celebrities recover from Covid within 3 days and symptom free. But us commoners aren't getting any official treatment guidance, if there are why no promotion?
You go to a hospital if your symptoms are severe, but those are overrun by fools who chose not to get vaccinated, and now they’re the ones overwhelmingly clogging up the beds and using up the available meds.

Chaplain

I came to terms months ago that if I get COVID, I get COVID.

This is the key for all society. Each person is going to have to make this choice (process it) for themselves. This means accepting the uncertainty of what might happen and its consequences (the mainstream media, mainly left-leaning news sources, have just begun to do this. This explains the new narrative (old for many) they are now shouting from their media platforms). The sooner people do it the better because COVID is never going away.

edited

Last edited:

Hardensoul

You go to a hospital if your symptoms are severe, but those are overrun by fools who chose not to get vaccinated, and now they’re the ones overwhelmingly clogging up the beds and using up the available meds.
You didn't addressed my question. I am vaccinated but my sister/brother in law wasn't and we recovered. Covid affected us basically the same vax/unvax. But my brother in law was not a sick as us. Not sure why you brought up unvax/vax and hospitals to my post.

Depends where you are, it's almost dead even here between those vaccinated and those unvaccinated.

Jaysen

Banned
You didn't addressed my question. I am vaccinated but my sister/brother in law wasn't and we recovered. Covid affected us basically the same vax/unvax. But my brother in law was not a sick as us. Not sure why you brought up unvax/vax and hospitals to my post.
You asked where people who are sick get those treatments. That’s where they go.

Top Bottom