• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

WoJ

Based on the stuff I've seen, strikes me as an honest broker of information. His qualifications aren't secret, and seem above board to me.

He shows his data, cites his sources, and doesn't over-dramatize and sensationalize. Not much contrarianism to be found beyond a cautious interest in the therapeutic values of Ivermectin, a topic that's been stupidly politicized when it really had no business being.

Either way I find his stuff infinitely better than most.
Agree. I don't understand the mindset that he's somehow looney or fueling loons (which was what was subtly being implied). Dude presents actual data from legit sources, walks through it, tries to offer some light interpretation but is really kind of a fence sitter when it comes to opinions on what it all means despite trying to look for the positive.

Some people just only want to look at the negative and try to put people down.

segasonic

The singer's manager, Michael Greene, confirmed Meat Loaf died Thursday night. Sources with knowledge tell TMZ ... he was supposed to attend a business dinner earlier this week for a show he's working on -- "I'd Do Anything for Love" -- but the dinner was canceled because he became seriously ill with COVID. Sources tell us that his condition quickly became critical.

Our sources say Meat Loaf has been outspoken about COVID, railing with folks in Australia recently about vaccine mandates. We do not know if he was vaccinated.

betrayal

Banned
What about future mutations?

I'd like to think this is the beginning of the end as well.

You never know what future mutations will bring. That's just the way it is, and that's what most viruses have in common. Anyone who wants to read horror stories, i.e. what many media are currently doing with the coronavirus, only has to search for mutations in connection with the flu, ebola, MERS, SARS, etc. and will immediately think that humanity will be extinct tomorrow.

But the point with COVID is that infections and also vaccinations give us basic immunization. This will always help us fight future mutations.

Omicron is a very lucky coincidence. Not only because of the milder courses, but even more so because of the high infection rate at the same time.

Jsisto

Agree. I don't understand the mindset that he's somehow looney or fueling loons (which was what was subtly being implied). Dude presents actual data from legit sources, walks through it, tries to offer some light interpretation but is really kind of a fence sitter when it comes to opinions on what it all means despite trying to look for the positive.

Some people just only want to look at the negative and try to put people down.
Yea, it’s really annoying. Everybody has to have some kind of agenda now. Nuance is dead. Pre 2020 he’d just be a normal guy before everyone lost their minds. He appears to have a medical background and he’s talking about current events and showing data..…that seems to be it. Where is the problem?

Reactions: GHG

Loki

Count of Concision
3 - If you have already shared a whiff of air with your girlfriend you already have it, so relax. It’s literally that infectious. I got it from a single whiff.

Omicron is super contagious for sure, but let's not go that far. My wife had it, and I was in very close proximity/intimate with her in the days leading up to her symptoms (and even on the night that her symptoms began, because initially we thought it was because she had spent extended time outside on a brutally cold day - we didn't think it was COVID), plus I was at the same NYE party where I assume she got it, and I didn't get it.

sinnergy

Omicron is super contagious for sure, but let's not go that far. My wife had it, and I was in very close proximity/intimate with her in the days leading up to her symptoms (and even on the night that her symptoms began, because initially we thought it was because she had spent extended time outside on a brutally cold day - we didn't think it was COVID), plus I was at the same NYE party where I assume she got it, and I didn't get it.
That’s COVID, nothing changed in that regards from November 2019, some just don’t get it .. even when having close contact for days .

The new Omicron is even more contagious.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wonder how long I really should isolate not to endanger others. I am now heading into day 10 from the onset of symptoms and day 8 from first positive.

I am still positive af so have not gone outside the villa perimeter:

Sbq9TSW.jpg

Last edited:

Barath

Banned
It’s simple , these vaccines where made within a year, the companies making these are free from if problems arise , it’s in their contracts , even approving runs out by February I heard , that’s why everyone wants boosters out of the way before March . The last part is hear / say .. who knows. All kinds of folklore start with this kind of shit.

Normal vaccines take years to make and test ..
Congrats, everything you said was false.

The vaccine started R&D in 2000 when sars hit. They were working on rna techniques since then. They were able to adopt it to Covid so fast because Covid IS SARS. So if you take the time for development and testing it took around 2 decades.

What about future mutations?

I'd like to think this is the beginning of the end as well.
The end of the pandemic is when everyone,or virtually everyone has built up an immunity response by infection of vaccination. Ideally everyone over 18 would get vaccinated for the minumum number of deaths and severe illness and going back to normal. But as millions refuse they will have to take the more dangerous route so not to hurt their precious freedoms. A milder variant is the only way to help them out and it seems we got lucky here. It's still a major risk with enough comorbidities and/or waiting for your oxygen levels to drop to 50 before admitting your pureblood immune system is not as good as you thought and having to go straight to the vent.

sinnergy

Congrats, everything you said was false.

The vaccine started R&D in 2000 when sars hit. They were working on rna techniques since then. They were able to adopt it to Covid so fast because Covid IS SARS. So if you take the time for development and testing it took around 2 decades.
Congrats with a old post , without human trails 🤣 normally that process takes years. These are now speed approved and used for the first time in the world population. It’s not like making a console , this is stuff that can harm you , which gets injected in your body .

Last edited:

sinnergy

The end of the pandemic is when everyone,or virtually everyone has built up an immunity response by infection of vaccination. Ideally everyone over 18 would get vaccinated for the minumum number of deaths and severe illness and going back to normal. But as millions refuse they will have to take the more dangerous route so not to hurt their precious freedoms. A milder variant is the only way to help them out and it seems we got lucky here. It's still a major risk with enough comorbidities and/or waiting for your oxygen levels to drop to 50 before admitting your pureblood immune system is not as good as you thought and having to go straight to the vent.
Dutch scientists , say it’s to early to compare it to flu and also to declare the pandemic over, as the next version could be different and more lethal or even milder .. they the scientists world wide .. don’t know .

Last edited:
I wonder how long I really should isolate not to endanger others. I am now heading into day 10 from the onset of symptoms and day 8 from first positive.

I am still positive af so have not gone outside the villa perimeter:

Sbq9TSW.jpg
This makes me believe me and my GF don't have covid.

All rapid tests are still negative.
Would your mind telling me the name of the kit and manufacturer? So maybe yours is a lot more sensitive with lower viral loads. Or do you think you have high viral loads?

Edit: And did they give you more information on the lab results like viral concentration or something like that so one could make an estimate about infectiousness of the positive person?

I really don't want to stay away from her for 2 more weeks.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
It’s simple , these vaccines where made within a year, the companies making these are free from if problems arise , it’s in their contracts , even approving runs out by February I heard , that’s why everyone wants boosters out of the way before March . The last part is hear / say .. who knows. All kinds of folklore start with this kind of shit.

Normal vaccines take years to make and test ..

"I heard"

Barath

Banned
Congrats with a old post , without human trails 🤣 normally that process takes years. These are now speed approved and used for the first time in the world population. It’s not like making a console , this is stuff that can harm you , which gets injected in your body .
They did do human trials…

Barath

Banned
Also no they do not take years to develop. Vaccines are some of the most basic technological advances. Scientists have them down pat. It’s old hat to them. Technology and advancements move forward exponentially. We should be worried if they take years and years to develop. But they don’t. I already said they stared research in 2000 but you are just looking to argue in bad faith. You are spreading misinformation and it’s dangerous. Btw the flu vaccine? It’s developed in months every year for new strains.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Btw the flu vaccine? It’s developed in months every year for new strains.

Uh not exactly. There are two main strains of influenza that go around. They have two shots. They flip a coin each year to try to guess which one is going to be the dominant strain and that's the shot people get. So it's always 50/50 with the flu shot.

They ARE wanting to use the same tech as the COVID vaccine to develop a flu vaccine that will work for any strain, but that's a little ways off.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My understanding is that all the vaccine technologies are sound, the problem is the spike protein itself is cytotoxic and so if it circulates freely away from the intramuscular injection site it can land in areas like the heart and cause inflammation.

Not seen a follow-up on this but I believe since the Danish authorities mandated aspiration, the number of cases of myocarditis has dropped to zero. The contention is made here. Prof Niels Hoiby seems very legitimate, so I'm inclined to trust his recommendation on precautionary grounds

Chittagong

Gold Member
This makes me believe me and my GF don't have covid.

All rapid tests are still negative.
Would your mind telling me the name of the kit and manufacturer? So maybe yours is a lot more sensitive with lower viral loads. Or do you think you have high viral loads?

Edit: And did they give you more information on the lab results like viral concentration or something like that so one could make an estimate about infectiousness of the positive person?

I really don't want to stay away from her for 2 more weeks.

Ours are the free UK NHS kits manufactured by Xiamen Biotime Biotechnology Co Ltd.

If you are still negative and have scrubbed not just nose but throat also, then I am pretty sure you are off the hook.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My understanding is that all the vaccine technologies are sound, the problem is the spike protein itself is cytotoxic and so if it circulates freely away from the intramuscular injection site it can land in areas like the heart and cause inflammation.

Not seen a follow-up on this but I believe since the Danish authorities mandated aspiration, the number of cases of myocarditis has dropped to zero. The contention is made here. Prof Niels Hoiby seems very legitimate, so I'm inclined to trust his recommendation on precautionary grounds

So the most logical explanation is correct, the side effect of a vaccine is because you injected it into a vein 🤦‍♂️

I have been baffled how all my three shots have been just darted in with no precision, I thought it was a covid vaccine thing

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

"Spike protein is cytotoxic" is unsupported. This keeps on coming up over and over again. This was debunked as far back as June.

There is possibly a correlation with aspiration, but that doesn't necessarily mean that venous administration is the culprit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"Spike protein is cytotoxic" is unsupported. This keeps on coming up over and over again. This was debunked as far back as June.

Well if it isn't, then the technology is fundamentally unsafe! You can't have it both ways!

Look I accept that modifications made to the spike protein expressed by the vaccine should prevent it penetrating cells (S1/S2 units etc) but apparently we are still seeing inflammation in other tissues should the vaccine inadvertently be allowed to freely circulate.

The specific symptomology being in the myocardium, as opposed to actual within the blood stream as with the AZ vaccine's Chimp Adenovirus vector, shows something is getting into those cells... So if its not some part of the spike, what else could it be? And is the distinction in a lay sense (I doubt anyone here is involved in developing vaccines!) actually meaningful? Its either the payload or the delivery mechanism.

There is possibly a correlation with aspiration, but that doesn't necessarily mean that venous administration is the culprit.

These vaccines are delivered intra-muscularly for good reason I suspect, so when a different sort of muscle tissue is affected... C'mon.

You really counter that video and what's said in it with a link that has 0 scientific meaning and standing?

"There is no scientific evidence the earth is round" Some priest in 1400. And he was right. There was no evidence, before there was evidence.
There is no scientific evidence dark matter exists.
It's a hypothesis. Tho I can't speak for the other video Reuters is referring to and they might frame it different.

Sometimes vaccines go bad. Why is the question.

You really counter that video and what's said in it with a link that has 0 scientific meaning and standing?

"There is no scientific evidence the earth is round" Some priest in 1400. And he was right. There was no evidence, before there was evidence.
There is no scientific evidence dark matter exists.
It's a hypothesis. Tho I can't speak for the other video Reuters is referring to and they might frame it different.

Sometimes vaccines go bad. Why is the question.

no, I counter exactly what I quoted…pointless diatribe from you

Last edited:

Liljagare

A new variant is spreading, Omnikron B2, it apparently infects you even if you had Delta/Omnikron or vaccine.

Found in Denmark and a few cases in Sweden so far.

Only finding sources in scanuck so far, but it seems to be our next variant.

A new variant is spreading, Omnikron B2, it apparently infects you even if you had Delta/Omnikron or vaccine.

Found in Denmark and a few cases in Sweden so far.

Only finding sources in scanuck so far, but it seems to be our next variant.

BA2...not looking like there's any cause for concern

Liljagare

BA2...not looking like there's any cause for concern

It has literarly just been announced as the strain that will take over in Denmark and Sweden. Prior infection of Delta or Omnikron so far show no resistance to this new strain.. Was just on the news.

Last edited:
I need to see the receipts for this
There are none. Experts say its extremely unlikely infection from omicron won't give you immunity. Covid has made so many people lose objectivity. People have forgotten this is a pathogen not fairy magic. I mean that doesn't even make sense. How in the fucking fuck would the direct sub lineage of omicron thats barley different to where it doesn't even have it's own name would completely bypass omicron immunity.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like Ontario is giving up on lockdowns. Despite still very high covid counts, they are opening things up in stages the next few months with full access March 14.

Were still at 4000 daily covid cases. Which is still sky high. That count is even higher than in 2020 when we were hit with full lockdowns. Gov has finally realized covid isn't the type of thing to go down to zero, so you got to open things up instead of being bubbleboy forever.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There are none. Experts say its extremely unlikely infection from omicron won't give you immunity. Covid has made so many people lose objectivity. People have forgotten this is a pathogen not fairy magic. I mean that doesn't even make sense. How in the fucking fuck would the direct sub lineage of omicron thats barley different to where it doesn't even have it's own name would completely bypass omicron immunity.

Q: why do we need seasonal flu vaccines?

Seriously though, and as an example, in the case of the omicron variant there were a striking number of mutations / changes involving its spike protein. This led to a level of immune escape that made it more easily able to infect. Some viruses, or even families of viruses, mutate rapidly. Such as coronaviruses, the various influenza strains, etc.

So you're right, it's not magic. It's well-understood science dating back over a century.

Jsisto

I’d take anything we hear on new variants with a grain of salt until there’s real evidence for anything. I can’t imagine saying definitively ”prior infection shows no resistance” for something that was discovered when….days ago If that? Remember that news networks, much like social media, survive off viewer engagement. As omicron is winding down in a lot of place, they need to find the next thing to get everyone nervous about. That’s not to say it’s not cause for any possible concern, but to think they’re completely objective, altruistic messengers of truth all of the time is a joke.

According to this study there were 269 cases of myocarditis in nearly 5 million vaccinated people. At the same time, in the Netherlands which does not mandate aspiration there were only 231 cases from a far larger population.

I used to find Campbell informative but at some point it all started to get a bit to his head when he was furious the British Health Secretary was not answering his questions. More MESSAGE TO WORLD LEADERS videos kept following like that one.

According to this study there were 269 cases of myocarditis in nearly 5 million vaccinated people. At the same time, in the Netherlands which does not mandate aspiration there were only 231 cases from a far larger population.

I used to find Campbell informative but at some point it all started to get a bit to his head when he was furious the British Health Secretary was not answering his questions. More MESSAGE TO WORLD LEADERS videos kept following like that one.
That's how you make an argument against a hypothesis. Thanks.
xN4yPgc.jpg

Still ridiculous you have to wait up to 5 days for lab test results.

Fuck. MY GF is now rapid test positive.
And I stayed with her in the apartment. Sure distance was taken, but not not super cautious.

We were arguing the whole time if I should've gone already or not, but those negative tests made you falsely believe you're fine.

Also doesn't fit with with the Omicron lower incubation period.

No I'm at my parents and don't know if I risk them, or it's the right call, because I'm not infected already.
It's probably the wrong call again, just like the 3 calls before.
So tell me all knowing science when are the bad infectious days.

If in doubt, better be overly cautious. Don't make the same mistakes u did.
If a person you're close with had contact with a covid person, stay away immediately.

Last edited:
Lmao. I'm not even positive yet and im staying home since Wednesday.
It only works if people do the right thing.
Are there some covid positive support groups?

Last edited:
Top Bottom