• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I gave you some solid info and then you quickly dismissed it with unsupported evidence and moved on to "but what about this"

As I wrote in my edit (which arrived after your reply) I'm just committed to a nuanced understanding of the data.

More co-morbidities equals worse outcomes irrespective of vaccination status. Which isn't a comment on the effectiveness of vaccines so much as reminder that its another significant factor in the equation.

Its a benign observation and actually is very much pro-vaccination, because if you do have other health issues it should provide impetus to maximize your protection.

This COVID vaccine ALSO makes sense to use. How can you look at the data that shows how protective it is and not come to that conclusion?

kK8Uyfw.png

3ysKX1H.png

3pmuChC.png

The benefit does not only apply to "at risk" people.

If COVID19 plays out like the flu in terms of vaccine efficacy and spread, then yes, it'll be like the yearly flu shot logistically. However, it is even more important to get than the flu shot because COVID19 infection is still much more dangerous than a flu infection. It is practical, and it does work great, demonstrated by the data I showed you.

Go look up the news articles about those breakthrough measles infections. They broke out in anti-vax communities.

You have a skewed understanding of history. The previous vaccine campaigns that you think were faster and more impactful had decades to work. The COVID19 vaccine was rolled out in a year and has already saved millions of lives.
I hear what you're saying and the vaccines are indisputably fantastic at preventing death and hospitalizations but I think what the guy you're replying to is trying to say is, unlike other vaccines that ACTUALLY stop infection, these are becoming a glorified therapeutic.

It is nothing short of a bomb how bad these have gotten with breakthrough infections today. Like fucking ridiculous actually. If you're not at risk or old. You're basically every bit at risk of COVID as you were pre vaccine through 2020. Maybe even more so due to sky high covid cases.

If you're young or not a fat fuck the vaccine is a lame sell cause it's like "hey you won't die for this 99.93% survival rate virus that was never going to hospitalize or kill you anyways!" Oh uhhh okay... not really why I got it but cool, will it stop long covid at least? "Well uhhh... no thats still very possible." Like cmon thats lame as fuck. If the vaccines for all the diseases prinz rattled off functioned like the covid vaccines like that we'd still be plagued by every last one of those to this day.

He raised a good point, fastest most successful vaccine drive in human history and look at the state of covid. That's kind of a flop I'm not gonna lie. I'm pro vaccine as fuck and boosted but thats disappointing undeniably for a young healthy fit guy like myself and many others I know.

5 days and I still don't have my PCR result.
The other people I know got it within 3 days.

I hate this.
At least my symptoms got even less. So if I had a super mild case it's now fading / gone.
Or I never had it.
Also the last time I was in contact with a positive person is now 6 days ago. So incubation period is over. I didn't catch it at the last day.
At least something.

Brother of my GF had one positive rapid test without any symptoms. His PCR was negative. He just missed an important exam because of it. Can do it again in half a year.

Last edited:
I wonder how many thousands of people died slowly in agony because of made up numbers like these.
US 18-29 age covid CFR is 0,045%
11,883,433 cases
5,360 deaths

Of course that's for the age group including medical conditions.
For healthy people in that age group the number is a lot lower.
People in other countries, too.
Does include vaccination and less serve variants that increase survival rate, tho.

Is there even any research done one case fatality rate for perfectly healthy people getting covid and dying? Comorbities are mentioned, but not broken down by age and comorbities.

Take diseases like rabies or Marburg for example. Doesn't matter at all if you're healthy or not, you will die.
The Spanish flu was worse for young and healthy people. But covid is thankfully the opposite.

Last edited:

ManaByte

new variant
There are already dozens of cases across almost half of the U.S. of a new Covid subvariant that’s even more contagious than the already highly transmissible omicron variant.

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

They're going to be talking about Stan Lee tonight on Coast to Coast AM.

Screenshot-20220128-191107-01.jpg

You can listen live here starting at 10pm Pacific time.

Edit: wrong thread. I thought this was a meta thread I saw first. Does one still exist?

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Hello good people.

I'm here only to say that justin trudeau is a fascist piece of shit.

Carry on.
Yup, Canada hasn't had an election in 4 months. "Fascist" lol, melodramatic stupidity.

If Justin was replaced tomorrow the same covid restrictions would still be in. He's just an MP with more responsibility. He doesn't dictate anything. Government in Canada doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Uncertain which jurisdiction or specific grievance he's referring to. The general implication seems to be that covid is over which doesn't appear to be the case anywhere on Earth.

Alberta just recorded its highest week of deaths since Delta.

They're going to keep their mitigation restrictions up, like other jurisdictions around the world, despite the thoughtful intent of this comprehensive meme on a complex matter from the big mind of Elon Musk.

This is a massive number in a group that normally has very few deaths from diseases.
131,187 total deaths
4,717 pneumonia deaths
Same timeframe.
Other non accident / injury related death causes is hard to find by age group. More often than not it's 15 - 24 and 25 - 34

Death in the age group 18 - 29 are around 60k yearly. ~2.5k covid related a year.
If that's a lot to you or not, you decide.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The best thing about all this Spotify business will be watching all the virtue signalling fuckhead megastars out there - who so desperately want to be seen to be on the right side of everything... but also don't want their bottom line being ruined - tying themselves up in knots over whether to boycott Spotify as well :ROFLMAO:

The first 25m cases in the US took a little less than 1 year.
The next 25m cases in the US took a little less than 1 year.
The newest 25m cases in the US took a little less than 2 months.

JayK47

I'm confused by the so called increase in deaths in the US recently, supposedly due to Omicron. In my state, Omicron has not changed the death trend at all. It spiked for delta and has been trending down for over a month. Cases had a huge spike when Omicron appeared, but deaths and hospitalizations have both been trending downward. Hopefully it stays that way. I am curious which states are driving the upward death trend. I have my suspicions.

RAÏSanÏa

I'm confused by the so called increase in deaths in the US recently, supposedly due to Omicron. In my state, Omicron has not changed the death trend at all. It spiked for delta and has been trending down for over a month. Cases had a huge spike when Omicron appeared, but deaths and hospitalizations have both been trending downward. Hopefully it stays that way. I am curious which states are driving the upward death trend. I have my suspicions.
Unsure which part of the US is having an increase, but with Alberta they are still working on the data but it looks like the riskier Delta is making a comeback partly due to many laying back thinking it's only Omicron now.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The best thing about all this Spotify business will be watching all the virtue signalling fuckhead megastars out there - who so desperately want to be seen to be on the right side of everything... but also don't want their bottom line being ruined - tying themselves up in knots over whether to boycott Spotify as well :ROFLMAO:

I'm curious to see what the reaction is when Rogan has on the pro-vaccine doctor.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

You can check here:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Everything's bigger in the US of A.

The seven-day rolling average for daily new COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. has been climbing since mid-November, reaching 2,267 on Thursday and surpassing a September peak of 2,100 when delta was the dominant variant.

Now omicron is estimated to account for nearly all the virus circulating in the nation. And even though it causes less severe disease for most people, the fact that it is more transmissible means more people are falling ill and dying.

“Omicron will push us over a million deaths,” said Andrew Noymer, a public health professor at the University of California, Irvine. “That will cause a lot of soul searching. There will be a lot of discussion about what we could have done differently, how many of the deaths were preventable.”

The average daily death toll is now at the same level as last February, when the country was slowly coming off its all-time high of 3,300 a day.

RAÏSanÏa

Fascism is what they want from the federal government
"ordering that provincial, territorial and municipal governments “stop all such unlawful activities.” The unlawful activities appear to include anything relating to vaccine mandates or passports.:

While the Constitution does allow the federal government to disallow provincial and territorial legislation within certain limits, that power has not been used since 1943. As for municipal governments and their regulations, municipalities are considered creatures of the provinces and generally off limits to the federal government.

"We are protesting for our freedom, but we want the federal government to impose our will on all levels of Government in every single province and municipality in the country."

I had some staunch anti-vax friends who were swept up in the politics of it finally come out and said that they will finally get the vaccine because it’ll make their life easier. They got Covid 3 times, omnicron twice, and got pretty sick each time (the worst being delta which fucked them up).

They are tired of getting reinfected, and want to recover faster so they don’t miss as much work (they are salesman who go to trade shows to make their money).

You are only anti vax if you are stupid, or are socially isolated.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There needs to be an understanding on what exactly constitutes "misinformation." There's false information and there's misleading/anecdotal information. Those two groups are not the same. For example, say a weightlifter has proven he can lift 500 lbs. This has been proven and documented and recorded. Someone says "John Smith can't lift 500 lbs! He's never done it before!" That's false information. But if someone said "In a competition back in 2019, John Smith tried to lift 500 lbs and wasn't able to and lost the competition." That's not false information if that actually occurred. It's true, but it's misleading and/or anecdotal.

When it comes to COVID, saying "The vaccines don't work and don't save lives" that's false information. They clearly do, they've been proven. But a lot of what's out there being labeled "misinformation" are more anecdotes that are true. For example "In so and so study Ivermectin has done X, Y, and Z." Now, a larger and more comprehensive study may have made that smaller study obsolete, but if that that smaller study is being correctly quoted, it's not technically misinformation.

Now, this may all be semantics, but when it comes to public trust, these are important distinctions. Because average everyday folk are not doctors or scientists. They don't conduct studies, many don't even know how to interpret the data found in studies. They find a person they trust, and just take their word for it. Because of that, when you have the people considered "quacks" like Dr. Malone, many of them do cite studies and data correctly, those studies and data are just outdated or anecdotal. That's not to say some people out there haven't just totally made shit up too, they have. But the problem is, when social media platforms pull videos or ban people for citing studies that while maybe outdated or no longer relevant, are factually stated, and give the reason for it "spreading misinformation," you're going to create a whole new army of skeptics, and actual anti-vaxxers use these instances to fan the flames by saying "Look! Youtube removed this video of a doctor talking about this study, and this study is real!" and they'll link to the study And people will see that and become enraged. When it could've been solved with a simple changing of language to explain why the video was removed in detail.

So, I guess the point of my little diatribe is platforms need to be more thorough with this stuff. Instead of just putting out basic taglines that say "Person suspended for spreading misinformation." It should say something like "The study cited in this interview has been disproved by newer studies that can be found HERE" and link to those studies or articles. This is a tall task, I know. It's hard to vet every single piece of information out there. But if these platforms are as concerned about COVID as they claim to be, then they'd put the effort in doing so.

Because a lot of this stuff simply comes down to the basic idea of what the word "misinformation" in itself actually means.

There needs to be an understanding on what exactly constitutes "misinformation." There's false information and there's misleading/anecdotal information. Those two groups are not the same. For example, say a weightlifter has proven he can lift 500 lbs. This has been proven and documented and recorded. Someone says "John Smith can't lift 500 lbs! He's never done it before!" That's false information. But if someone said "In a competition back in 2019, John Smith tried to lift 500 lbs and wasn't able to and lost the competition." That's not false information if that actually occurred. It's true, but it's misleading and/or anecdotal.

When it comes to COVID, saying "The vaccines don't work and don't save lives" that's false information. They clearly do, they've been proven. But a lot of what's out there being labeled "misinformation" are more anecdotes that are true. For example "In so and so study Ivermectin has done X, Y, and Z." Now, a larger and more comprehensive study may have made that smaller study obsolete, but if that that smaller study is being correctly quoted, it's not technically misinformation.

Now, this may all be semantics, but when it comes to public trust, these are important distinctions. Because average everyday folk are not doctors or scientists. They don't conduct studies, many don't even know how to interpret the data found in studies. They find a person they trust, and just take their word for it. Because of that, when you have the people considered "quacks" like Dr. Malone, many of them do cite studies and data correctly, those studies and data are just outdated or anecdotal. That's not to say some people out there haven't just totally made shit up too, they have. But the problem is, when social media platforms pull videos or ban people for citing studies that while maybe outdated or no longer relevant, are factually stated, and give the reason for it "spreading misinformation," you're going to create a whole new army of skeptics, and actual anti-vaxxers use these instances to fan the flames by saying "Look! Youtube removed this video of a doctor talking about this study, and this study is real!" and they'll link to the study And people will see that and become enraged. When it could've been solved with a simple changing of language to explain why the video was removed in detail.

So, I guess the point of my little diatribe is platforms need to be more thorough with this stuff. Instead of just putting out basic taglines that say "Person suspended for spreading misinformation." It should say something like "The study cited in this interview has been disproved by newer studies that can be found HERE" and link to those studies or articles. This is a tall task, I know. It's hard to vet every single piece of information out there. But if these platforms are as concerned about COVID as they claim to be, then they'd put the effort in doing so.

Because a lot of this stuff simply comes down to the basic idea of what the word "misinformation" in itself actually means.

The issue is that people aren’t logical a lot of the times. That’s why the appeal to emotion plays out so strongly. Right now everyone has access to the information but they don’t have the rational mind to make a decision based on it.

Emotion > Rational. It’s why the political side of Covid had such tremendous success, even though it is meaningless.

Eventually overtime people will learn though.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The issue is that people aren’t logical a lot of the times. That’s why the appeal to emotion plays out so strongly. Right now everyone has access to the information but they don’t have the rational mind to make a decision based on it.

Emotion > Rational. It’s why the political side of Covid had such tremendous success, even though it is meaningless.

Eventually overtime people will learn though.
Well when you have two people, each of whom are experts or doctors or have phds saying "No, that is information, that person is lying." And then the other person goes "No, they're the one who's lying." And then it's "No, that's a lie, look at this data." And then the other person goes "No, that data is misleading, because of X, Y, and Z." Then the other person goes "No, that information is the one that's misleading because of A, B, and C" how can your everyday person know which person to trust?

It's not like your average American can go "Screw it, I'm going to conduct these studies myself and get to the bottom of it" they have to believe someone they don't know at some juncture.

It's not like your average American can go "Screw it, I'm going to conduct these studies myself and get to the bottom of it" they have to believe someone they don't know at some juncture.

And that's where analysis of context is important. What is being said, who is saying it, who are they saying it to, why are they saying it and why are they saying it at this time. These points aren't made in a vacuum, they take place both in the context of a discussion and in the greater context of the social, cultural and political climate they are made in.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Misinformation is not the same as false. If you are giving people incomplete or inaccurate information with the intention to decieve them, then that is misinformation.

I had some staunch anti-vax friends who were swept up in the politics of it finally come out and said that they will finally get the vaccine because it’ll make their life easier. They got Covid 3 times, omnicron twice, and got pretty sick each time (the worst being delta which fucked them up).

They are tired of getting reinfected, and want to recover faster so they don’t miss as much work (they are salesman who go to trade shows to make their money).

You are only anti vax if you are stupid, or are socially isolated.

GZ. You probably know the only person in the world who had Omicron twice.

The vaccine probably won't help this unlucky individual much tho. Those are not magic cocktails. They only make your own immune system do stuff. He should go and check his immune response by a doc, if the story is true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom