• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Situation in France is improving, we should be below 5000 cases per day by the end of the week. Close to 30mln first doses administered as well.
Got my second shot appointment brought forward from the 30 to the 28th of June and closer to where I live. Now the main challenge is convincing as many as possible to be at 80% vaccination rate.

Loki

Count of Concision
nope I’m good.

I don't mess around with anti-science people.

No, he's correct. It's at best ambiguously worded and at worst misleading. They say:

Nearly a third of teens ages 12-17 hospitalized with COVID-19 ended up in the intensive care unit, with 5% ultimately being placed on ventilators.

Without citing the absolute number of teens hospitalized and the percentage of all teens which that constitutes, the information is kinda useless. If only .3% of all teens end up being hospitalized for COVID, that means that only .1% of all teens end up in ICU and only .015% end up on ventilators. Hardly a sufficient reason to warrant mass vaccination in this sensitive age group.

llien

I don't know about zero evidence.

In Finland we had sort of an epidemic in a group of hospitals where 80 people got infected and the majority were vaccinated at least once.
And 11% of hospital workers who had been vaccinated twice and had special masks had been infected too.
It was the Indian variant.

I have no idea how serious that is or if there's some other explanation than "vaccine avoidance" or whatever for the virus, but this still happened and it has been officially reported by the hospitals.
Could you share a link please.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I don't know about zero evidence.

In Finland we had sort of an epidemic in a group of hospitals where 80 people got infected and the majority were vaccinated at least once.
And 11% of hospital workers who had been vaccinated twice and had special masks had been infected too.
It was the Indian variant.

I have no idea how serious that is or if there's some other explanation than "vaccine avoidance" or whatever for the virus, but this still happened and it has been officially reported by the hospitals.
What does it matter? Vaccination was always about preventing people from being admitted to hospital, which is exactly why you need the shot. You can still transmit the virus but if everyone gets vaccinated it doesn’t matter, you will get a fever for a day and that will be the end of it.

llien

Stats are improving across Europe, with Portugal and UK being the only exceptions:

jtWcOEH.png
yJe2ZlR.png

McHuj

It looks like some of these off-brand vaccines are not working. Russia's numbers have flattened off but they're not really low. Chile, which uses a version of SinoVac is out of control despite one of the higher vaccination rates. What a nightmare.

SinoVac is probably just a saline solution.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Canada is on track to be the most vaccinated country in the world any day now.

If that's the case, why are they not allowing more fans at hockey playoff games? I can't watch the Canadian games, they are vastly less exciting than the games played in the US because of the tiny crowds.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Stats are improving across Europe, with Portugal and UK being the only exceptions:

jtWcOEH.png
yJe2ZlR.png
Russia is probably the bigger problem. Relative stats don't tell the whole problem, their numbers are still steady fairly high and trending into another wave.

Again, one of the countries that tried to push out a DIY vaccine without actual testing figuring what's the harm, but they're going to have to re-vaccinate everyone now which makes it way harder.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

If that's the case, why are they not allowing more fans at hockey playoff games? I can't watch the Canadian games, they are vastly less exciting than the games played in the US because of the tiny crowds.
Because it hasn't been a slow and steady push, they were late out of the gate but they're getting it done fast now. So the active case numbers still need time to fall.

I think in 4-6 weeks Canada's going to be one of the safest places in the world Covid-wise.

Airola

Could you share a link please.

You'll have to put it through Google Translate as it's only in Finnish. It probably makes parts of the news nonsense, but most of it should be clear.
That's the initial report from a couple of weeks ago.

Here's an update from yesterday on Finnish news (again, use Google Translate)

According to the news there were around 100 infected.
17 people died.
42 of the infected were part of the hospital staff.
17 of those 42 from the staff had taken two vaccinations.

And here's news from last week with additional info:

Of the 17 dead, 5 were unvaccinated, 11 were vaccinated once, 1 was vaccinated twice.

Airola

What does it matter? Vaccination was always about preventing people from being admitted to hospital, which is exactly why you need the shot. You can still transmit the virus but if everyone gets vaccinated it doesn’t matter, you will get a fever for a day and that will be the end of it.

I was just replying to him saying there's zero evidence of virus variants "dodging" the vaccine. That's all.
I even said I don't know how serious it is even if the virus can dodge the vaccine. But those are the facts: some people who have been vaccinated, have gotten the virus variant. So, zero evidence might not be the correct term to use (he didn't know about this certain situation though, so obviously for him there probably was zero evidence).

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

You'll have to put it through Google Translate as it's only in Finnish. It probably makes parts of the news nonsense, but most of it should be clear.
That's the initial report from a couple of weeks ago.

Here's an update from yesterday on Finnish news (again, use Google Translate)

According to the news there were around 100 infected.
17 people died.
42 of the infected were part of the hospital staff.
17 of those 42 from the staff had taken two vaccinations.

And here's news from last week with additional info:

Of the 17 dead, 5 were unvaccinated, 11 were vaccinated once, 1 was vaccinated twice.
Based on the mortality rate alone, the simple conclusion here is that a LOT more people were infected than received a positive test.

Also the volume of "vaccinated once" people means this probably hit at a time when they were just rolling the vaccine out and people haven't had time to build up immunity. Probably some people who were vaccinated while already infected too, which isn't going to do shit.

There is evidence that the vaccines are less effective against variants in the relative sense, but not so much that they're ineffective. Like they think Pfizer is like 88% against the Indian variant instead of 95% but it's still good enough to create herd immunity if 80% of adults take it.

Last edited:

Sakura

Japan especially puzzles me. They still want to hold the Olympics so why didn't they acquire as much vaccines as they could get a hold of? Or perhaps they did try and they just can't get any? I haven't been following it closely and I want to know what their deal is.
Probably because it was never that big here. If cases were never that high, politicians probably don't feel as much pressure to get vaccines rolling (which is admittedly short sighted). Over a year in and I still don't know anybody who has gotten it, or know anybody who knows anybody who got it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Probably because it was never that big here. If cases were never that high, politicians probably don't feel as much pressure to get vaccines rolling (which is admittedly short sighted). Over a year in and I still don't know anybody who has gotten it, or know anybody who knows anybody who got it.
I know some people who did, but not a lot. One friend and her dad got them because they work in medicine, and the others flew to the US to get it at great cost.

Sakura

I know some people who did, but not a lot. One friend and her dad got them because they work in medicine, and the others flew to the US to get it at great cost.
Sorry I was meaning coronavirus, not the vaccine! What I mean to say is, if the vast majority of people have been largely unaffected by the coronavirus, then the desire to vaccinate is probably lower compared to countries that have had lockdowns or know friends and family who were infected.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously don't understand how the human race has survived this long, sometimes. Any species with members this fucking stupid should have died out long ago.

Never understood what compels people to make comments like this. Do you do this for other groups as well? Take the shortcomings of individuals and extrapolate them to apply to the wider group for broad condemnation?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sorry I was meaning coronavirus, not the vaccine! What I mean to say is, if the vast majority of people have been largely unaffected by the coronavirus, then the desire to vaccinate is probably lower compared to countries that have had lockdowns or know friends and family who were infected.
So was I!

lol

j/k I agree, I don't know anyone who has gotten sick with COVID either or knows someone personally who has. On the other hand, I know plenty of Americans who either have had it personally, or are no more than 2 or 3 degrees of separation away from knowing someone who had it.

bigsnack

Yeah it's basically over, let it go. The vaccine is available for nearly everyone in the developed world at this point, right? fortunately I'm in an area where you can walk into a number of pharmacies and get a vaccine without an appointment. I've done my part and moved on, the responsibility lies now in the folks that don't want the shot. There is absolutely no way any variant is going to do anything other than make me scoff at this point.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I AM NOT TRYING TO A MASK DEBATE, JUST SHOWING HOW ASS-BACKWARDS CalOSHA IS

Basically last week CalOSHA said that vaccinated workers in CA had to keep their masks on no matter what. Today they're claiming they'll align with that the CDC says.

clown GIF by Team Coco

CA fully reopens next Tuesday. Emperor Newsom will retain his emergency powers though.

democracy GIF

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

She got Magneto trending.

I was just replying to him saying there's zero evidence of virus variants "dodging" the vaccine. That's all.
I even said I don't know how serious it is even if the virus can dodge the vaccine. But those are the facts: some people who have been vaccinated, have gotten the virus variant. So, zero evidence might not be the correct term to use (he didn't know about this certain situation though, so obviously for him there probably was zero evidence).

The studies on how effective vaccination is against the variants compared to responses from natural infection are ongoing, and there probably won't be consensus for some time. Particularly because some variants react differently than others.

This was published earlier in the month and concluded that vaccination response was more effective against certain types of variants: https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(21)00706-6

It's science, we have to let the process play out. It's way too soon to jump to conclusions given the results of one or two studies.

QSD

I AM NOT TRYING TO A MASK DEBATE, JUST SHOWING HOW ASS-BACKWARDS CalOSHA IS

Basically last week CalOSHA said that vaccinated workers in CA had to keep their masks on no matter what. Today they're claiming they'll align with that the CDC says.

clown GIF by Team Coco

CA fully reopens next Tuesday. Emperor Newsom will retain his emergency powers though.

democracy GIF

Yeah I understand that it seems absurd that one day masks are required, and the next you're free to ditch them, but that's just kinda the nature of legislation/government, right? One day you're too young to drive, and the next you're legally allowed to...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah I understand that it seems absurd that one day masks are required, and the next you're free to ditch them, but that's just kinda the nature of legislation/government, right? One day you're too young to drive, and the next you're legally allowed to...

The point being that CalOSHA always said they are following the science, but when the science clashed with easily enforceable rules (and FINES) they decide to not follow it and instead make up their own rules last week (which would've kept workers in CA masked until 2022 while everyone else in the state could ditch the mask).

Last edited:

QSD

The point being that CalOSHA always said they are following the science, but when the science clashed with easily enforceable rules (and FINES) they decide to not follow it and instead make up their own rules last week (which would've kept workers in CA masked until 2022 while everyone else in the state could ditch the mask).

Yeah I don't know about those specifics, I thought you were trying to make a more general point about on/off legislation

llien

Russia is probably the bigger problem. Relative stats don't tell the whole problem, their numbers are still steady fairly high and trending into another wave.

In Russia you can get vaccinated around any corner, by just walking in.
Population largely doesn't give a fuck, only about 10% is vaccinated.

• Triggered
Reactions: Gp1

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I firmly believe that in the U.K we are at the stage when we should fully unlock. More people are now dying of illnesses caused by, or worsened by, the lockdown. Our Covid death rate is in single figures. The vaccines are working, and we have to live with this disease for the rest of our lives. I was the strongest of lockdown advocates all the time the death and hospitalisation rates were high. They’re not anymore.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
But raising, along with number of new cases.

The death rate is rising? The entire point of the vaccines was to decouple rises in cases from rises hospitalization and death rates. If those start rising to any significant degree, too, then all bets are off.

NahaNago

Tennessee, here. Masks have pretty much been dropped for the most part. You might see the business employees wearing them but everyone else for the most part won't. It was kind of ridiculous how fast masks were dropped and everything nearly went back to normal. Then again I know tons of people who haven't been vaccinated yet but the vaccines are easily available.

Top Bottom