• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Outlier

I still haven't caught (that I know of)it and don't personally know anyone who's caught it. Only heard of other whom I don't know, catching it.

Only hear about it in news and dystopian Chinese stories, now.

Thaedolus

I’m getting on a 7 day cruise with no mask or vax requirements next week, what’s the likely hood I get my third round of COVID (that I know of…)?

😬

QSD

Haven't been in this thread a while so here's a random update

We've got some Covid cases at my job again (I work in an assisted living home, for any newcomers) both residents and staff, so it seems there's a little bit of a 'wave' on an the moment. But everyone is pretty much vaxxed to the eyeballs so nobody's getting very sick, it's more of a minor annoyance now (x has got covid, so we're gonna have to fix the schedule). Nobody 'died suddenly' from the boosters, and this is in a population of clients that have poor health generally (psychiatric patients) and consequently also not very great immune systems. So take from that what you will.

Hope everyone's healthy

Still haven't caught it although I don't really go out that much anymore other than to eat out or see very few friends/family or go to work. Everytime I felt a tiny bit sick I tested myself for a few consecutive days. I'm sure I'll get it eventually and suffer. Jabbed 4 times plus a flu shot.

Last edited:

Oh God Reaction GIF

Jennings

Have been sick for days and tests were coming back negative until this morning. My wife and I have now both tested COVID positive, and it's been hitting me harder than her and with different symptoms. So far this sucks.

Last edited:

Jennings

Got COVID in January. Had splitting headaches over last two weeks, which started up at tail end of COVID. They thought I got a sinus infection from COVID and treated me for that, but treatment failed and they sent me to ER for CT scan. Looks like I have a major blood clot in my brain, so have been in hospital last few days. They're blaming COVID for this thing.

Got COVID in January. Had splitting headaches over last two weeks, which started up at tail end of COVID. They thought I got a sinus infection from COVID and treated me for that, but treatment failed and they sent me to ER for CT scan. Looks like I have a major blood clot in my brain, so have been in hospital last few days. They're blaming COVID for this thing.
If you get through that with just a headache you're damn lucky. Best of luck man, that's about as close as it gets to life altering catastrophe.

Jsisto

How scary…I’m glad they were able to find it when they did, thats no joke. Wishing you the best, man. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

dave_d

Hope it hasn't gone into a full blown stroke. From seeing family members go through strokes over the years strokes suck.

Jennings

I haven't reaf this page in detail, but they called it this: Transverse cerebral venous thrombosis. And apparently the clot has filled the whole vein, all the round the head, and some vein cluster.

Sleep, headed to sleep, thanks for well wished

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Finally getting some big heads saying its a lab leak. Imagine if people get on board with this, imagine if it becomes fact that China lied about it and covered it up.

Jsisto

It’s nice that they are finally saying this out loud, but I’m 100 percent certain we’re only hearing them talk about it now because tensions with China are high right now. Doesn’t exactly instill much faith in our institutions when theyll only to speak the truth when it’s convenient.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
I am lucky I took an interest in studying history growing up and avoided all the Covid Drama. It just boggled the mind that anybody anywhere in the world could blindly trust a group of pharmaceutical giants with a laundry list of ethics violations and dubious origins. In my humble opinion, what we are seeing today is an amalgamation of Operation Mocking Bird and residual Cold War propaganda tactics that have proliferated into government institutions.

Many Liberals unwittingly supported the destruction of trust in many public institutions by siding with these pharmaceutical and tech giants during the pandemic. Google monopolized the online classroom. Pfizer, AstraZeneca, and Moderna became our public health institutions.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I am lucky I took an interest in studying history growing up and avoided all the Covid Drama. It just boggled the mind that anybody anywhere in the world could blindly trust a group of pharmaceutical giants with a laundry list of ethics violations and dubious origins. In my humble opinion, what we are seeing today is an amalgamation of Operation Mocking Bird and residual Cold War propaganda tactics that have proliferated into government institutions.

Many Liberals unwittingly supported the destruction of trust in many public institutions by siding with these pharmaceutical and tech giants during the pandemic. Google monopolized the online classroom. Pfizer, AstraZeneca, and Moderna became our public health institutions.
Literally nobody is "blindly trusting" pharmaceuticals... You could maybe say people are blindly trusting the system perhaps

Scotty W

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

And this is why kids we are going backwards, because your grandparents gave your mommy and daddy the polio vaccine so that your parents will not suffer the danger of terrible disease. Then Hayabusa83 Hayabusa83 parents also did a great job and probably vaccinated him as well so he likewise didn’t go through childhood with a terrible disease, flu and many others.

However enough is enough - people now have a right to start falling sick to longtime preventable diseases that were eradicated due to vaccines because….MUH RIGHTS I guess.

Your interest in history didn’t help you much, stop reading shit online fanfics and get yourself a proper book on the history of medicine.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
And this is why kids we are going backwards, because your grandparents gave your mommy and daddy the polio vaccine so that your parents will not suffer the danger of terrible disease. Then Hayabusa83 Hayabusa83 parents also did a great job and probably vaccinated him as well so he likewise didn’t go through childhood with a terrible disease, flu and many others.

However enough is enough - people now have a right to start falling sick to longtime preventable diseases that were eradicated due to vaccines because….MUH RIGHTS I guess.

Your interest in history didn’t help you much, stop reading shit online fanfics and get yourself a proper book on the history of medicine.

You are the very thing you claim to hate. You offer nothing except false equivalencies and assumptions.

Mistake

Literally nobody is "blindly trusting" pharmaceuticals... You could maybe say people are blindly trusting the system perhaps

What system is that? The one bought and paid for? And tell that to three clients of mine that canceled, thinking I’d give them covid for not being vaccinated (they still got it on their own anyway.)

FireFly

What system is that? The one bought and paid for? And tell that to three clients of mine that canceled, thinking I’d give them covid for not being vaccinated (they still got it on their own anyway.)
It's very hard to follow what is actually being debated in this thread.

1.) Every country has a different public health system, some publicly funded, some not.
2.) I don't see a wide divergence in how these systems have responded to the COVID pandemic.
3.) The core response to the pandemic happened before vaccines were on the table.
4.) Since vaccines have become available and especially post Omicron we have seen substantial easing in restrictions as fatality rates have come down.
5.) The reason to think vaccines work are the real world clinical studies comparing vaccination rates among those testing positive and those tesing negative for COVID.
6.) If you think there is a hidden global conspiracy to manipulate all scientific data involving hundreds of thousands of scientists, then the most rational response would be to believe nothing, not blindly believe random people on the internet/Twitter.

Last edited:

Mistake

It's very hard to follow what is actually being debated in this thread.

1.) Every country has a different public health system, some publicly funded, some not.
2.) I don't see a wide divergence in how these systems have responded to the COVID pandemic.
3.) The core response to the pandemic happened before vaccines were on the table.
4.) Since vaccines have become available and especially post Omicron we have seen substantial easing in restrictions as fatality rates have come down.
5.) The reason to think vaccines work are the real world clinical studies comparing vaccination rates among those testing positive and those tesing negative for COVID.
6.) If you think there is a hidden global conspiracy to manipulate all scientific data involving hundreds of thousands of scientists, then the most rational response would be to believe nothing, not blindly believe random people on the internet/Twitter.
It’s not hidden, it’s in plain site. Plenty of data both sides of the isle at this point, you choose the one you want to listen to just as I do. Saying the vaccinated won’t get covid was one of the many lies on top of the pile.

Last edited:

FireFly

It’s not hidden, it’s in plain site. Plenty of data both sides of the isle at this point, you choose the one you want to listen to just as I do. Saying the vaccinated won’t get covid was one of the many lies on top of the pile.
I'm not talking about "data" but evidence Pfizer is bribing every scientific institution producing studies on vaccine effectiveness and bribing the scientists running the journals where these studies are published. And if the evidence is in "plain site" they must also be bribing all of the major press organisations. Since this would be the scoop of the century. And bribing scientific institutions reporting on these studies.

And yes, whether or not vaccines work there will always be two sides. Just like there are two sides of the flat Earth debate. The question is, is the "other side" controling for differences between the vaccinated and unvaccinated groups as these "supposedly corrupt" studies were? Or just naively presenting population data as if it was some smoking gun?

Mistake

I'm not talking about "data" but evidence Pfizer is bribing every scientific institution producing studies on vaccine effectiveness and bribing the scientists running the journals where these studies are published. And if the evidence is in "plain site" they must also be bribing all of the major press organisations. Since this would be the scoop of the century. And bribing scientific institutions reporting on these studies.

And yes, whether or not vaccines work there will always be two sides. Just like there are two sides of the flat Earth debate. The question is, is the "other side" controling for differences between the vaccinated and unvaccinated groups as these "supposedly corrupt" studies were? Or just naively presenting population data as if it was some smoking gun?
You’re making up situations to be obtuse. I never said pfizer was outright bribing every doctor in the world, and now you equate vaccine effectiveness to the flat earth debate? I’m not a child alright. You think what happened to Maddie de Garay or Chet Chisolm is no big deal? I guess Brooke Jackson is full of shit too. Or how pfizer can’t be sued over their product. Yeah, that gives me real confidence in taking it. What about the heart problems both my friend’s parents got after being vaccinated? I must be retarded, that explains it. We’re living in one big conspiracy and only one side is right. Totally

Rien

Jelly Belly
You’re making up situations to be obtuse. I never said pfizer was outright bribing every doctor in the world, and now you equate vaccine effectiveness to the flat earth debate? I’m not a child alright. You think what happened to Maddie de Garay or Chet Chisolm is no big deal? I guess Brooke Jackson is full of shit too. Or how pfizer can’t be sued over their product. Yeah, that gives me real confidence in taking it. What about the heart problems both my friend’s parents got after being vaccinated? I must be retarded, that explains it. We’re living in one big conspiracy and only one side is right. Totally

The amount of people around me getting heart problems in the last couple of years is staggering.

Mistake

Sure but not at this pace. Many of those are even younger than me.
Sitting around from lockdowns and covid itself are also contributing factors. We’re just now getting out of the mess, so I’m sure we’ll understand more as time goes on

FireFly

I never said that you said that. Nor did I make any claims about vaccine safety. Nor am I making any claims about whether you should or shouldn't personally take the vaccine. Given that COVID is basically over and your chances of dying are expected to be less than 1 in a million, there's probably no point.

I was only talking about vaccine effectiveness, and in that context if you think that the real world studies of vaccine effectiveness conducted across the world have been systematically manipulated to hide the real conclusions, you are are going to need a global conspiracy covering the major scientific institutions, the major journals and likely the press as well. That would probably be the conspiracy of the century. You're free to believe or not believe in such a conspiracy. I am simply pointing out the consequences required for the belief that the COVID data is "faked".

As far as Brooke Jackson's claims go, even if all of them are true, they do nothing to invalidate the real world data we have on vaccine effectiveness.

Mistake

I never said that you said that. Nor did I make any claims about vaccine safety. Nor am I making any claims about whether you should or shouldn't personally take the vaccine. Given that COVID is basically over and your chances of dying are expected to be less than 1 in a million, there's probably no point.

I was only talking about vaccine effectiveness, and in that context if you think that the real world studies of vaccine effectiveness conducted across the world have been systematically manipulated to hide the real conclusions, you are are going to need a global conspiracy covering the major scientific institutions, the major journals and likely the press as well. That would probably be the conspiracy of the century. You're free to believe or not believe in such a conspiracy. I am simply pointing out the consequences required for the belief that the COVID data is "faked".

As far as Brooke Jackson's claims go, even if all of them are true, they do nothing to invalidate the real world data we have on vaccine effectiveness.
There can be plenty of reasons why data is not accurate. Bias, fear, bribery, esteem, greed, missing or ignored information, etc. Along with all the finger pointing happening for the last several years, I personally view most things surrounding this issue as not to be trusted. So my stance has been to do nothing and just keep an eye on it, while looking out for my own safety.

I only mention all this so you may see why some people feel the way they do. It doesn’t mean there is a grand conspiracy, but when enough people are told to think this way or the other, it can certainly turn into one.

Last edited:

FireFly

There can be plenty of reasons why data is not accurate. Bias, fear, bribery, esteem, greed, missing or ignored information, etc. Along with all the finger pointing happening for the last several years, I personally view most things surrounding this issue as not to be trusted. So my stance has been to do nothing and just keep an eye on it, while looking out for my own safety.

I only mention all this so you may see why some people feel the way they do. It doesn’t mean there is a grand conspiracy, but when enough people are told to think this way or the other, it can certainly turn into one.
The idea behind the scientific process is that there is an established protocol for collecting the data that ensures it is complete, and it is sampled randomly to prevent it from being biased. Because the protocol is written up, flaws can be identified in the peer review stage and subsequently in meta reviews. By conducting large numbers of studies which are then validated, it becomes more and more unlikely that the conclusions are due to failures in experimental design or execution.

Without this kind of process it's not really clear how knowledge of any kind can be "built" since someone can always dispute the conclusions of a particular study.

You are always free to wait for more data before reaching a conclusion, but the point I was trying to make in my original post was that this should be done in a consistent way. We should be *more* skeptical of stories on social media or internet blogs since they often rely on anecdotal claims that have not been properly verified, or involve basic misunderstandings of statistics. (For example if those who are vaccinated are more likely to be older and sicker then we may see higher death rates in the vaccinated group, even if vaccines are protective. Nearly all of the "anti-vax" data I have seen falls into this category of using "raw" population death rates).

Last edited:
my friends dad who had CF finally caught Covid last week and has just passed from a severe reaction to it. Shit fucking sucks man. They kept him safe all this time and bam... I feel so sorry for him.
Sorry to hear. They couldn’t get him remedies fast enough like paxlovid?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
my friends dad who had CF finally caught Covid last week and has just passed from a severe reaction to it. Shit fucking sucks man. They kept him safe all this time and bam... I feel so sorry for him.
That's horrible. Cystic fibrosis is a horrible disease. Can I ask how old they were and if they were vaccinated? (Surely they were)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont remember what info or claims were flung during the covid era, but I got 3 shots of vaccine. A starting one, then two boosters. I rarely get sick, but earlier this year I got pretty sick and even took a day off work (which I almost never do). Then I chilled out half bed ridden for a few days with chills and shit. I didn't do a covid test so I dont know if that was covid or just a random standard fever, but I got hit with something.

One of my corowkers had to go to the hospital for a few days because it was that bad. And she took vaccines too. Vaccines didnt prevent it. It can be argued perhaps the vaccines helped fight it off and minimized an even worse attack. But there was no prevention.

If I remember correctly, all the vaccine marketing by government kept plugging go get it. And when people hear the word vaccine they think cure or 100% prevention like a polio vax. But in reality, it might had helped a person's system, but it definitely was no miracle cure or Mystic Plate Mail +10 armour. Reports would even say a portion of people registering with covid already had vaccine shots. So it's not like only non-vax people got affected. It seems just about anyone vax or not could get nailed.

Last edited:

Mistake

I dont remember what info or claims were flung during the covid era, but I got 3 shots of vaccine. A starting one, then two boosters. I rarely get sick, but earlier this year I got pretty sick and even took a day off work (which I almost never do). Then I chilled out half bed ridden for a few days with chills and shit. I didn't do a covid test so I dont know if that was covid or just a random standard fever, but I got hit with something.

One of my corowkers had to go to the hospital for a few days because it was that bad. And she took vaccines too. Vaccines didnt prevent it. It can be argued perhaps the vaccines helped fight it off and minimized an even worse attack. But there was no prevention.

If I remember correctly, all the vaccine marketing by government kept plugging go get it. And when people hear the word vaccine they think cure or 100% prevention like a polio vax. But in reality, it might had helped a person's system, but it definitely was no miracle cure or Mystic Plate Mail +10 armour. Reports would even say a portion of people registering with covid already had vaccine shots. So it's not like only non-vax people got affected. It seems just about anyone vax or not could get nailed.
The biggest claim going around was that if you got the shot, you won’t get covid. There were media outlets everywhere saying as such, and even the president said so. This is what started discriminatory practices against those who don’t have it. Even today I can find apartment rentals saying “must be vaccinated.”

But to my point. When people see something as simple as that is being lied about, of course they will wonder what else is too. Trust is fickle. And you’re right, that’s another thing currently hashing out in courts, how the public was misled by saying vaccine when it’s actually a therapeutic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom