• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Dream-Knife

Banned
🤡

Jaysen

Banned

Leyasu

Banned
I’ve had enough of this fucking pandemic. Let’s hope so.

Legit question. Did the people who got banned get labeled as anti vax because they don’t want the covid jab or were they really against all vaccines?

This site has been a fucking whirlwind the past few years. First it was crazy leftist town pre reset era, then it was super conservative until the jan. 6 stuff and politics got nuked and now it’s getting to be pre reset era again, slowly. Might as well just close this thread I mean it’s very political yet politics are banned.

I’m just whatever, get the jab if you want, but don’t force me. And don’t celebrate people’s death if they did or didn’t get the vaccine as some political victory. Nobody is winning here people. And making someone a second class citizen that can only go the grocery store and not have visitors in their own home is a VERY scary idea and I hope not many people are for that as i’ve seen happen in Europe.

Post will probably get removed or i’m banned but what the fuck ever..

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It looks like the wave in South Africa is over - which was pretty much ground zero for widespread infection of the omicron variant. So perhaps we can look at the timeline of omicron there to project how long it may last in other countries.

As for omicron being the vanguard of the end: I really, dearly hope so but I'm not holding my breath. The way this pandemic has been going I feel like if I get my hopes up I'll wake up tomorrow and find out a new variant in Iceland is turning people into vampires or some shit.

Legit question. Did the people who got banned get labeled as anti vax because they don’t want the covid jab or were they really against all vaccines?

This site has been a fucking whirlwind the past few years. First it was crazy leftist town pre reset era, then it was super conservative until the jan. 6 stuff and politics got nuked and now it’s getting to be pre reset era again, slowly. Might as well just close this thread I mean it’s very political yet politics are banned.

I’m just whatever, get the jab if you want, but don’t force me. And don’t celebrate people’s death if they did or didn’t get the vaccine as some political victory. Nobody is winning here people. And making someone a second class citizen that can only go the grocery store and not have visitors in their own home is a VERY scary idea and I hope not many people are for that as i’ve seen happen in Europe.

Maybe I missed some posts but IMO the thread hasn't had anyone trying to be political in a long while. There's been disagreements about efficacy of the vaccines, the duration and effectiveness of natural immunity in regards to delta and omicron, grumbling about lockdowns from people in affected countries, that sort of thing. What political stuff have you noticed? Honestly curious, not trying to put you on the spot. You're making me wonder if I am missing the obvious here.

It looks like the wave in South Africa is over - which was pretty much ground zero for widespread infection of the omicron variant. So perhaps we can look at the timeline of omicron there to project how long it may last in other countries.

As for omicron being the vanguard of the end: I really, dearly hope so but I'm not holding my breath. The way this pandemic has been going I feel like if I get my hopes up I'll wake up tomorrow and find out a new variant in Iceland is turning people into vampires or some shit.

Maybe I missed some posts but IMO the thread hasn't had anyone trying to be political in a long while. There's been disagreements about efficacy of the vaccines, the duration and effectiveness of natural immunity in regards to delta and omicron, grumbling about lockdowns from people in affected countries, that sort of thing. What political stuff have you noticed? Honestly curious, not trying to put you on the spot. You're making me wonder if I am missing the obvious here.
Well, I didn’t look too hard at every page for the last few weeks but I saw the last few pages where the 3 posters got banned and the ban list thread says carlosrox carlosrox was an anti vaxxer and Malakhov Malakhov was a conspiracy theorist…

I didn’t see carlos say he was against all vaccines but maybe I missed it, that’s why I asked. Just a genuine question. I am not an anti vaxxer (the definition of which seems to be completely malleable these days) and haven’t got the jab but my kid is getting his other vaccinations.

And then Malakhov is absolutely right in saying that even if someone dies not of covid they will list that on the death certificate… My family doctor has told me that and firefighters as well and i’ve hear d it from a few co workers as well who have had family die ; they went to the hospital for a completely different reason… it’s not even a conspiracy it’s just out in the open.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

As far as a I can tell you are free to be anti-vax as long as you aren't a dick to other posters or spread deliberate misinformation.

As far as a I can tell you are free to be anti-vax as long as you aren't a dick to other posters or spread deliberate misinformation.
Anti covid vaccine makes you anti vax? That is the question I am asking.

If carlos was antagonistic but not against all vaccines his ban reason shouldn’t say “anti vaxxer bye bye”

Last edited:

poppabk

Yeah pretty much. But as long as you are civil about, ie it is your own personal belief and you aren't a dick about it, I doubt you will catch a ban.
Spreading conspiracies that you 'heard from someone' though is like walking on the edge of a cliff, especially as the excess death numbers have aligned so well with Covid deaths that it is obvious that Covid deaths are not being over counted in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
Also, there should be a distinction between me not choosing to get the jab and me telling an old person NOT to get it… which I don’t do.

Why would it be? I am anti vax but I choose to vaccinate my kid? Sounds like mind virus to me.

Because in the context of a covid thread being anti vax = being anti covid vax. I don't understand why this distinction is important. People against the MMR were also anti vax, it didn't matter if they had the polio vaccine or not because the context mattered.

poppabk

Why would it be? I am anti vax but I choose to vaccinate my kid? Sounds like mind virus to me.
We have no idea if you actually have a kid. It's like going on a racist n-word rant and then saying you are black at the end. Maybe you are but you will still catch a ban as the mods can't allow an unverifiable get out of jail free card.

Because in the context of a covid thread being anti vax = being anti covid vax. I don't understand why this distinction is important. People against the MMR were also anti vax, it didn't matter if they had the polio vaccine or not because the context mattered.
You’re saying people shouldn’t worry about corporations having legal immunity and questioning / being angry after their kid got sick from MMR?

I am against the pharmaceutical companies lack of responsibility/ transparency, not the science of vaccines.

We have no idea if you actually have a kid. It's like going on a racist n-word rant and then saying you are black at the end. Maybe you are but you will still catch a ban as the mods can't allow an unverifiable get out of jail free card.
Enjoy your new echo chamber I suppose. (if I am indeed banned) Good luck to us all…
No I'm not saying any of that.
I understand what you mean then. Just wanted clarification, thank you.

Last edited:

poppabk

Enjoy your new echo chamber I suppose. (if I am indeed banned) Good luck to us all…

I understand what you mean then. Just wanted clarification, thank you.
What new echo chamber? You seem to really want to be banned to convince yourself that the other people didn't deserve their bans. Jaysan only just got back from a ban I think for being excessively pro vax.

What new echo chamber? You seem to really want to be banned to convince yourself that the other people didn't deserve their bans. Jaysan only just got back from a ban I think for being excessively pro vax.
I noticed Jay’s ban. It wasn’t for being pro vax it was because he celebrated someone’s death…

I was asking questions, that’s all. Do you want me banned, and if so for what? I believe there’s a strong possibility i’ll be banned but I want to be able to speak freely without banned for “console warring” or being “anti vax”, is all.

I said it’s becoming more echo chamber, not that it’s already there.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well, I didn’t look too hard at every page for the last few weeks but I saw the last few pages where the 3 posters got banned and the ban list thread says carlosrox carlosrox was an anti vaxxer and Malakhov Malakhov was a conspiracy theorist…

I didn’t see carlos say he was against all vaccines but maybe I missed it, that’s why I asked. Just a genuine question. I am not an anti vaxxer (the definition of which seems to be completely malleable these days) and haven’t got the jab but my kid is getting his other vaccinations.

And then Malakhov is absolutely right in saying that even if someone dies not of covid they will list that on the death certificate… My family doctor has told me that and firefighters as well and i’ve hear d it from a few co workers as well who have had family die ; they went to the hospital for a completely different reason… it’s not even a conspiracy it’s just out in the open.

Oh I see. I guess these are really questions for the mods. Personally being anti-vaxx isn't political to me, it's anti science, and harmful. The last guy I can remember getting banned for politics in this thread was literally politicizing things and I think even had a Biden or Trump avatar.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
And the answer to that question is yes. If you are actively against a safe and proven vaccine you can and most likely will be labeled as anti vax as a result. If you don't want to be labeled as anti vax then don't be against a vaccine.

And depending on your reason as to why you may also be called a conspiracy theorist.

Last edited:
Oh I see. I guess these are really questions for the mods. Personally being anti-vaxx isn't political to me, it's anti science, and harmful. The last guy I can remember getting banned for politics in this thread was literally politicizing things and I think even had a Biden or Trump avatar.
I was just pointing out/asking the definition of anti vax as it seems some label others as anti vax for various reasons.
And the answer to that question is yes. You are actively against a safe and proven vaccine therefore can and most likely will be labeled as anti vax as a result.

And depending on your reason as to why you may also be called a conspiracy theorist.
I can handle the labeling. I won’t be made to be afraid by anyone and take the jab. I’m healthy and young and it’s my choice just like with the flu vaccine.

People have died after taking it and have had serious side effects. I still wouldn’t tell people that are old to not take it, or the vulnerable but then again i’m not going to tell people to take it either.

tmlDan

I was just pointing out/asking the definition of anti vax as it seems some label others as anti vax for various reasons.

I can handle the labeling. I won’t be made to be afraid by anyone and take the jab. I’m healthy and young and it’s my choice just like with the flu vaccine.

People have died after taking it and have had serious side effects. I still wouldn’t tell people that are old to not take it, or the vulnerable but then again i’m not going to tell people to take it either.
But that was the case for every vaccine in existence, a very small percentage of people get ill/have side effects that could be major.

it's on your advil/tylenol bottles as well but you only care about this? It kinda makes you anti-vax or anti-medicine and science tbh

Obviously, i do believe everyone has a choice to do what they want as i was to get my booster but don't act like the vaccine will give you an illness when attracting covid is likely to give you worse long term symptoms.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Motivation:

Yup. What govs have done over the past few years is finally figure out that if you want as much vaxxed people as possible you got to offer perks or impose restrictions.

And as sad as it seems, access to booze and weed are carrots some anti-vaxxers accept as good enough to do it.

So it really shows that some people arent as anti-vax as they promote. They just want a payout or perk of some kind before doing it.

But that was the case for every vaccine in existence, a very small percentage of people get ill/have side effects that could be major.

it's on your advil/tylenol bottles as well but you only care about this? It kinda makes you anti-vax or anti-medicine and science tbh

Obviously, i do believe everyone has a choice to do what they want as i was to get my booster but don't act like the vaccine will give you an illness when attracting covid is likely to give you worse long term symptoms.
IMO, covid vax was a giant stonewalling by some people not because it's a vax (I bet many of them have all the other vaxxes they got as a kid). Hell, just about everyone gets all kinds of vaccines when they are anywhere from a baby to 5 years old. It's just that nobody remembers getting 6 needles when they are 2 years old. So for things like that, it's not something anyone has control over or remembers since their parents took them to the doctor to do it.

But with covid, it came out of nowhere and everyone has been instructed to get it. And that includes adults who already have developed a stubborn mindset and have their own control whether to go to a clinic or not to get it. To me, they are also chicken of a needle. And it cant be a money issue because covid shots are free for everyone.

I said it in one of my earlier posts not long ago (and it's too bad that link was last year I dont have it bookmarked), but there was one big survey asking people why they dont want to get the vax. The #1 reason was "I dont like being told what to do by government". All the other kinds of reasonable answers like "it's fast tracked drug" or "it's not proven yet" were down the list.

You never know. Maybe countries would have a better success rate of vax if they werent so nagging about it. Let's face it. Some people just dont like getting ordered what to do and will do a 180 when asked to do something.

Now if covid vaccines were implemented in such a way that you only get it if youre two years old like the other vaccines and anyone who is adult age doesn't have to get it because it's too late, I bet most anti-vaxxers would be fine with it as "another vax to add to polio shots as a 2 year old".

You bringing up aspirin is good too. Because it also expands to 1000s of other drugs you can get prescribed from docs and pharmacists. Yet, covid vax is a giant conspiracy of false info, lies and a bogus vax, while everything else they get from the drug store from heart medication to allergy pills are somehow a-ok and trustworthy.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
bro we can't keep explaining this shit over and over...

FunkMiller

merry go round carousel GIF by Hallmark Movies & Mysteries

…you could go online and spend a constructive thirty minutes finding out the truth about this by properly researching, and visiting trustworthy sources. Then you’d understand why you’re spouting conspiracy theory nonsense.

You probably won’t though, eh?

Last edited:

FireFly

Spreading misinformation is what will get you banned, not your personal decision on whether to take the vaccine. A good guide is that when you make a claim, you should post a reputable source to back it up that isn't your brother, cousin etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is that true?

Because in Cyprus for example they have found at least 25 cases of people that are infected with both delta and omicron at the same time

Makes perfect sense. Omicron antibodies are cross-reactive with Delta, but Delta and previous strain antibodies (including those induced by vaccination) have limited effect against omicron due to the changes to the spike protein.

The issue is that obviously Omicron has infected a person who was already affected by Delta, a not improbable scenario given that Delta emerged first and the improved transmissibility of Omicron plus its ability of vaccine escape makes secondary infection much more likely than before.

A lot is going to depend on the overlap in waves of community transmission. If Delta was very recently spreading, and Omicron is still in its early stages then its a much more likely happenstance than if these events were separated by a longer period. Going forwards the scenario should get more unlikely as Omicron establishes its dominance, and in so doing drives Delta and older strains to extinction.

This was observed in SA where rampant Omicron displaced every previous strain by leaving massive herd immunity in those it infected.

The bottom line is that getting a booster jab right now makes a lot of sense because although we all need to assume we will get exposed to Omicron. Delta is still out there, albeit in declining prevalence.

I'd be curious to know how many hospitalized patients actually have older strains along with Omicron; I suspect it'd be a difficult thing to parse out without detailed genomic sequencing as I know that Omicron's signature s-gene dropout was actually present in some alpha sub-strains.

The key thing I guess is never to forget that the basic taxonomies used in public messaging are highly simplified versions of the actual scientific reality. Even Omicron has recognized variants already.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
100% agree. Sit your ass at home till it passes, then you can feel all smug about yourself. Also, people died for a fuckton of different reasons, including driving, drinking, breathing, walking, having sex. I understand you eliminate all these activities from your life.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

US hospitals struggle to match Walmart pay as staff flees omicron​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-to-match-walmart-pay-as-staff-flees-omicron

U.S. hospitals are struggling to get the workers they need to treat patients through the winter’s COVID-19 surge as the virus collides with a historically tight labor market.

High demand for labor throughout the economy is making it harder to find replacements for doctors, nurses and support staff who have been sidelined by the omicron variant. It’s especially tough in small towns and rural areas with aging populations and fewer people entering the workforce.

Finding sufficient staff is a daily challenge that industry veterans say is harder than any time they can remember. Job openings in health care and social assistance are more than double their pandemic lows, and a record number of people are quitting.

“This is the most significant labor shortage that we have ever seen,” said Sally Zuel, vice president of human resources at Union Health in Terre Haute, Indiana.

As a result, wages are climbing skyward: In November hospitals’ labor expense per patient was 26% above the pre-COVID level two years earlier, according to data from consulting firm Kaufman Hall.

The workforce squeeze is upending every aspect of care. A Fort Lauderdale, Florida, hospital temporarily closed its labor and delivery unit due to staff shortages. The chief executive of a 25-bed facility in rural Nebraska monitored patients on the floor himself Monday. In Indiana, where the National Guard was called in to reinforce hospital staff, administrators offer double pay to workers to extend their shifts when colleagues are sick.

“We’ve had more staff out because they’ve tested positive and have contracted COVID than we did at the very beginning,” said Lynda Shrock, vice president of human resources at Logansport Memorial Hospital in Logansport, Indiana.

Long before the arrival of COVID, doctors and nurses were in high demand. The pandemic has only made that shortage worse as some health-care workers, depleted by two years fighting COVID, opt for early retirement.

Others are trading permanent positions for lucrative short-term travel assignments at premium pay, driving up labor costs. Three out of four health-care facilities were looking for temporary allied health professionals — a category that includes clinical workers who aren’t doctors, nurses or advanced practitioners — according to a December survey by staffing company AMN Healthcare.

Beyond shortages of clinical professionals, it has become tougher to hire and retain workers in other roles essential to keeping medical centers running, from technicians to food service workers to the people who prep rooms in between patients, hospital officials say. To fill those positions, it’s increasingly necessary to compete on wages with other industries even while persuading workers that they can safely prepare food or clean floors inside health-care buildings during a pandemic.

In Terre Haute, Indiana, Zuel scrambles to get adequate coverage for each 12-hour shift. The health system, with about 3,000 employees, recently decided to move nurses from support positions into direct patient care. Radiology and lab technicians, phlebotomists and respiratory therapists are all hard to find.

Some relief arrived in uniform in December: The state sent a couple of medics and other support staff from the National Guard. They mostly work in the emergency department, where every morning patients wait for hospital beds to open. Others work in nutrition.

The current COVID surge in the area isn’t expected to subside before February. The volume of patients means staffing will remain tight. “We need every person every day,” Zuel said.

In November, as COVID spread throughout the state, Indiana’s unemployment rate was 3%, or 1.2 percentage points lower than national level. The tight labor market has had ripple effects: Sometimes short-staffed pharmacies close without notice, so patients can’t pick up their prescriptions after they’re discharged, hospital officials said.

Nebraska has the lowest unemployment rate of any U.S. state, at 1.8% in November. In that environment, lots of employers struggle to find workers. But the stakes in health care are higher, especially in the COVID era.

Troy Bruntz runs Community Hospital, a 25-bed critical access facility in McCook, Nebraska. He’s been trying to recruit a third ultrasound technician for at least six months without getting a single application.

For lower-level positions, the hospital competes with the local Walmart store, where wages are rising. He monitors the pay offered by the retailer as well as the other large local employers, a hose manufacturer and an irrigation equipment supplier.

“What used to be an $8 job now is $15,” said Bruntz, a 52-year-old who once worked as an accountant for KPMG. “That’s the only way we get people to come to work.”

Most of the patients in Community Hospital aren’t there for COVID, but the facility is still full. Patient transfers get delayed as larger regional facilities fill up too, backing up the emergency room. “I went to the floor to help,” Bruntz said. “I’m a CPA, remember – but I can sit and watch a patient that needs someone to monitor them. And I did.”

He sees a long-term dilemma that will persist beyond COVID waves, particularly in rural areas with aging populations. “We’re going to have so many more people retiring than entering the workforce that this is just going to get worse,” Bruntz said.

Across the state in Columbus, Nebraska, Mike Hansen, chief executive of Columbus Community Hospital, said hourly entry-level wages have been going up for two years and are now in the $15 to $18 range. Nursing wages have increased by $4 to $6 per hour just in the last year, to start at $35 to $40 and rising with experience.

Revised quarantine guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have helped get staff back faster after exposures or illnesses, he said.

Still, the hospital is admitting six to 12 COVID patients daily. Other patients coming in seem to be sicker, Hansen said. He’s hoping that the omicron variant may cause less severe disease, resulting in fewer patients needing hospitalization.

Hansen, 61, calls the pandemic labor squeeze the worst in his four-decade career. “People need to realize, health-care people have been at this for almost two years now,” he said. “It’s been highly stressful.”

:messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

sinnergy

They learned the fusion dance
I am clownstradamus 🤡 this dance will be endless btw, it has a whole animal kingdom and 3rd worlds to mutate .. until we provide proper support to less fortunate countries , we will see lots of versions , demanding action .like I said human kind needs to change how we live / work / travel ..

Last edited:

Jsisto

Update: I was mildly sick for two days and have a bit of a lingering stuffy nose but other than that feel completely normal. Kinda glad I finally got it and was fine. Bit of a relief!

I have very mixed thoughts about the current discussion. Full disclose: I am vaxed with two doses of Pfizer, unsure if I will get the booster as having just recovered from covid(most likely omicron) I would imagine that's just as if not more so effective than the booster. I totally get that the chances of a severe negative reaction to the vaccine are incredibly rare, but they DO happen. Everyone has their own assessment of risk, but if you are one of those people that does, being told “well the probability of that happening was so low, oh well! You did a good thing for your country!” will not make me feel better...

I just don't feel good about this demonization of unvaccinated people going on without taking their thoughts into account, agree or disagree. Not talking about here specifically, just the general tone I see out there. People are scared for a number of reasons, and I don't think it's fair to chalk it up to misinformation...how I've grown to hate that word. We all know that shouting at people tends to have the opposite intended effect.

Leyasu

Banned
Makes perfect sense. Omicron antibodies are cross-reactive with Delta, but Delta and previous strain antibodies (including those induced by vaccination) have limited effect against omicron due to the changes to the spike protein.

The issue is that obviously Omicron has infected a person who was already affected by Delta, a not improbable scenario given that Delta emerged first and the improved transmissibility of Omicron plus its ability of vaccine escape makes secondary infection much more likely than before.

A lot is going to depend on the overlap in waves of community transmission. If Delta was very recently spreading, and Omicron is still in its early stages then its a much more likely happenstance than if these events were separated by a longer period. Going forwards the scenario should get more unlikely as Omicron establishes its dominance, and in so doing drives Delta and older strains to extinction.

This was observed in SA where rampant Omicron displaced every previous strain by leaving massive herd immunity in those it infected.

The bottom line is that getting a booster jab right now makes a lot of sense because although we all need to assume we will get exposed to Omicron. Delta is still out there, albeit in declining prevalence.

I'd be curious to know how many hospitalized patients actually have older strains along with Omicron; I suspect it'd be a difficult thing to parse out without detailed genomic sequencing as I know that Omicron's signature s-gene dropout was actually present in some alpha sub-strains.

The key thing I guess is never to forget that the basic taxonomies used in public messaging are highly simplified versions of the actual scientific reality. Even Omicron has recognized variants already.
I would have thought that infection with any variant would protect against any other. Seeing as it is only the spike protein that has changed. That is what I don’t understand when I hear that a delta infection doesn’t protect against omicron but works the other way. The same way that valneva reported high efficiency with their vaccine when different variants were circulating.

They are all Covid infections, just that the variant used a different method of attack.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Update: I was mildly sick for two days and have a bit of a lingering stuffy nose but other than that feel completely normal. Kinda glad I finally got it and was fine. Bit of a relief!

I have very mixed thoughts about the current discussion. Full disclose: I am vaxed with two doses of Pfizer, unsure if I will get the booster as having just recovered from covid(most likely omicron) I would imagine that's just as if not more so effective than the booster. I totally get that the chances of a severe negative reaction to the vaccine are incredibly rare, but they DO happen. Everyone has their own assessment of risk, but if you are one of those people that does, being told “well the probability of that happening was so low, oh well! You did a good thing for your country!” will not make me feel better...

I just don't feel good about this demonization of unvaccinated people going on without taking their thoughts into account, agree or disagree. Not talking about here specifically, just the general tone I see out there. People are scared for a number of reasons, and I don't think it's fair to chalk it up to misinformation...how I've grown to hate that word. We all know that shouting at people tends to have the opposite intended effect.
I'm in the same boat of vaxes and effect. I had a mild experience getting sick too. I dont know if it was covid or not, but it was exactly the type of thing I'd get once every 5 years during winter anyway.... some chills, blowing my nose for days and a cough. I'm fine now.

As for demonization unvax people, I think among the key reasons why people grill them is because their "I wanna do what I want and not get vaxxed" because they not getting vaxxed means more covid counts, deaths and governments freaking out with 24/7 PR and shutdowns and mandates. Not every city is like this as some never seemed to care from day one, but many do. And once governments start cracking down on things, companies follow. Our company from day one follows what the gov and others do. And if it's masks everywhere and shut downs and sky high covid counts, we follow. We wont get to normal anytime soon until covid counts drop like a rock and every company, store and government shuts up about it.

So the unvaxxed affects the vaxxed, even if 100% of unvaxxed people believe they are willing to risk the effects to themselves rolling the dice. That's fine for them, but every other organization still wants to have some sense of security and safety, so they will institute policies to cover their asses (like babysitting) and this in turn protects the vaxed because you can still get it. But due to this, we get hit with the same babysitting rules too. And when shit hits the fan, what happens? Hospitals fill up for something that could have cut down on patient visits if everyone just gets it.

Nobody has ever claimed getting vaxxed is 100% effective and covid counts will go to zero. I remember right from the beginning those research papers or whatever saying they are 80-90% effective. This was in Q4 2020 when I dont even think it was approved yet or front line healthcare workers even got the starting batch of vax shots yet.

But at least if everyone follows direction, covid can at least be reduced to the best possible levels it can be.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I would have thought that infection with any variant would protect against any other. Seeing as it is only the spike protein that has changed. That is what I don’t understand when I hear that a delta infection doesn’t protect against omicron but works the other way. The same way that valneva reported high efficiency with their vaccine when different variants were circulating.

They are all Covid infections, just that the variant used a different method of attack.

Its due to different parts of the immune system functioning differently. Essentially what Omicron evades are the immunoglobulins, the cells that bind with the spike protein to prevent cellular entry. The B cells recognize the presence of the virus, but their countermeasures don't work. However as the recognition is preserved from vaccination or prior infection when a cell is invaded, killer T-cells are dispatched to destroy the infected cells as normal.

The end product being symptomatic infection even in the vaccinated, but the disease is unable to progress because the infected cells are quickly eliminated. The virus needs host cells to multiply so essentially the most important part of the immune response remains active in a person with prior exposure. And of course given time the B cells will learn to recognize the protein signature of Omicron and produce immunoglobulins that are effective against them, a new version that happens to be effective against prior strains as well.

Is there any reason why it is "morally wrong" to mandatory covid testing for kids in school? There is an issue in chicago where the teacher union are requesting kids to have negative result before school resume. The mayor say it is morally wrong to do so and refuse.

I'm in the same boat of vaxes and effect. I had a mild experience getting sick too. I dont know if it was covid or not, but it was exactly the type of thing I'd get once every 5 years during winter anyway.... some chills, blowing my nose for days and a cough. I'm fine now.

As for demonization unvax people, I think among the key reasons why people grill them is because their "I wanna do what I want and not get vaxxed" because they not getting vaxxed means more covid counts, deaths and governments freaking out with 24/7 PR and shutdowns and mandates. Not every city is like this as some never seemed to care from day one, but many do. And once governments start cracking down on things, companies follow. Our company from day one follows what the gov and others do. And if it's masks everywhere and shut downs and sky high covid counts, we follow. We wont get to normal anytime soon until covid counts drop like a rock and every company, store and government shuts up about it.

So the unvaxxed affects the vaxxed, even if 100% of unvaxxed people believe they are willing to risk the effects to themselves rolling the dice. That's fine for them, but every other organization still wants to have some sense of security and safety, so they will institute policies to cover their asses (like babysitting) and this in turn protects the vaxed because you can still get it. But due to this, we get hit with the same babysitting rules too. And when shit hits the fan, what happens? Hospitals fill up for something that could have cut down on patient visits if everyone just gets it.

Nobody has ever claimed getting vaxxed is 100% effective and covid counts will go to zero. I remember right from the beginning those research papers or whatever saying they are 80-90% effective. This was in Q4 2020 when I dont even think it was approved yet or front line healthcare workers even got the starting batch of vax shots yet.

But at least if everyone follows direction, covid can at least be reduced to the best possible levels it can be.
Government did claim if you take the vaccine everything will return to normal.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Government did claim if you take the vaccine everything will return to normal.
Not here. Flip flopping lockdown #693756. The best switcheroo was when things opened up and then they got shut down again 2 weeks later in I think November 2020.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It really, really is.

The chances of you, or anybody else, dying from the covid vaccine are incredibly small. You are more likely to die from taking Advil. Even the chances of getting any kind of serious side effect from the vaccine are vanishingly small.

You are also vastly more likely to die from getting covid if you are unvaccinated. The misinformation leads people to incorrectly believe that the vaccines are in some way dangerous to them. This is, for all but a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of people, a complete lie.

The same misinformation leads people to incorrectly believe that covid is never going to be dangerous to them. It is unlikely, dependent on personal circumstance... but it's far more likely than the vaccine hurting them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom