• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The only downside of mild/asymptomatic infection, from what I hear, is that it might not engender as strong an immune response as a more moderate or severe case of COVID would. Now, I'm not sure if that's completely true, since they seem to be referring strictly to circulating antibody titers, and it stands to reason that if there is less of the virus to clear (viral load has always been correlated with severity of infection), fewer antibodies would need to be marshalled to combat it. I'd love to see a T/B cell analysis for mild/asymptomatic cases versus more severe cases 6 months post-infection.

I also wonder what this pattern entails for immunity conferred by Omicron, which by all accounts produces more mild disease. You have some folks saying that Omicron-induced immunity confers protection against Omi plus all previous variants and possibly against future variants (in a similar but more pronounced manner as previous COVID infection with, say, Alpha or Beta provided protection against Delta etc.). But then you have the train of thought noted previously: that milder disease yields less robust immunity. I'm waiting to see some real studies/analysis on the specifics of the immunity produced by Omicron infection.
Omicron is milder by 'design'. A mild case of say Delta means that it hasn't expanded it's population enough before the immune system starts to deal with it. A severe case of Omicron will still produce mild symptoms for the most part.

FunkMiller

Evidence now strongly suggests the UK is moving from a pandemic status to an endemic one. Cases are dropping like a stone, and while hospitalisations and deaths have risen somewhat, they are far lower when set against every other wave. Barring another new variant more troubling than omicron, I really do feel like the worst is behind the UK, thanks to such a strong vaccine program, a high degree of immunity in the population, and low levels of anti-vaxxery.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Evidence now strongly suggests the UK is moving from a pandemic status to an endemic one. Cases are dropping like a stone, and while hospitalisations and deaths have risen somewhat, they are far lower when set against every other wave. Barring another new variant more troubling than omicron, I really do feel like the worst is behind the UK, thanks to such a strong vaccine program, a high degree of immunity in the population, and low levels of anti-vaxxery.
Finland is speed running this too, the local health authority was quoted saying they now expect 80% of adults in Finland to get omicron in the next few weeks, up from 50%. All my friends in Finland seem to have it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's an optimistic sign, definitely. No country has handled this pandemic perfectly, but the UK has done relatively well considering how densely populated it is and how much international traffic it is exposed to. Not easy factors to overcome in the face of a highly contagious disease.

The performance of highly vaccinated countries like the UK in terms of low death rates really emphasizes the illogical thinking of those who espouse the "let everyone get infected and obtain "natural" immunity" as an actual strategy in lieu of a strong and robust pro-vaccination campaign. While both strategies lead to herd immunity and endemic status in the long run, the highly vaccinated strategy does that with less dead people along the way.

Comparing the death rates of the USA with countries like the UK shows that the USA is not as pro life as we like to think we are.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
per capita we’re not so different, you and I

just massive fuckups all round early on
Cumulatively yes, but there's a difference in rates that you can observe once vaccinations are available and then once boosters are available. The USA has been diverging ever since.

As in, you guys got your shit together. We didn't get the memo.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Welp.

6axwkHs.jpg

My progress of symptoms and testing

Wed 5 Jan - Finland - lab PCR - negative
Fri 7 Jan - Finland - lab antigen - negative
Sat 8 Jan - French Polynesia - lab PCR - negative
Mon 11 Jan - French Polynesia - home antigen - negative
Thu 14 Jan - French Polynesia - home antigen - negative
Thu 12 Jan - sore throat, runny nose, sneezing - SYMPTOMS DAY 1
Fri 13 Jan - sore throat, runny nose, fatigue - SYMPTOMS DAY 2
Sat 14 Jan - AM - 37C, runny nose, reproductive cough, fatigue, PM - 37.3C, congested nose, tickly throat - SYMPTOMS DAY 3
Sat 16 Jan - French Polynesia - home antigen - POSITIVE

Triple vaccinated - Moderna (May), Moderna (July), Pfizer (December). Have been wearing mask always in public. In the last week I have had very few contacts as our villa is remote, and it’s stormy here.

will get a hospital PCR on Monday.

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned
Uk 71.2% vaccinated. You guys told me 90% vaccination rate was a "good start".
What the hell you are taking about? The pandemic is ending thanks to Omicron, simple as.

BTW look at this.

Couldn't find info if The Expose is legit or not.

Last edited:
What the hell you are taking about? The pandemic is ending thanks to Omicron, simple as.

BTW look at this.

where, in that article, is there any evidence of that claim?

and UK is at 83% 2-dose, 63% 3-dose: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Last edited:

FireFly

I suggest you edit your post before you get banned.

(You can't use the UK Vaccine Surveillance report to evaluate vaccine effectiveness, because it doesn't control for differences between the vaccinated/unvaccinated groups, as it literally states in the report itself. And the report overestimates the number of unvaccinated because it uses Health Service rather than ONS data, which double counts many working age adults. Anyway, if you are getting your news from a crowd sourced anti-vax site that can't even construct an article properly, you perhaps aren't interested in the truth)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you havent already seen it, you guys should watch the movie The Social Dilemma. There's a part in the back half of the movie where they talk about social media and the spread of facts and lies and how nobody can tell the difference.

So true.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right, because if they're doing this well at only 71.2%, imagine how much better they'd be doing at 90%. The math isn't hard.

The pandemic is ending because of the vaccine. You know, like how all other dangerous diseases got defeated since vaccines were invented.

Last edited:

sinnergy

BTW look at this.

It wouldn’t surprise me to be honest , as we are now in a save the economy end-game ..

But who knows for sure .. time will tell

I think this article also has some good views:

What I think is weird, even the Dutch recommend ffp2 masks now ..

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Right, because if they're doing this well at only 71.2%, imagine how much better they'd be doing at 90%. The math isn't hard.

The pandemic is ending because of the vaccine. You know, like how all other dangerous diseases got defeated since vaccines were invented.
So true.

And out of every vaccine we all get as a kid, or some random drug each of our doc's prescribes us, somehow none of them are ever challenged. People just do it.

Yet covid vax is the one medical thing in life worth fighting against.

And unlike other meds people take (to heal an issue which mostly only affects that person only), covid is a spreadable thing. So in theory, you'd think people would take it not just for themselves, but to help reduce covid effect on others since it's contagious.

"Nope. My life and I do what I want".

But you want your freedom and cities open up stores and travel when covid cases drop and there's fewer critically ill people in hospitals.

"Doesn't matter. I know I wont get covid or even test for it to count in trackers. So I'm not getting the vax".

But other people can get sick off your covid even though you are healthy and fine. So they get admitted to hospitals where those people will increase the covid counters pissing off governments into more lock downs. The vax is free, is offered everywhere, and believe it or not the needle doesn't hurt.

"Not budging bud".

Well, you look like a healthy person who wont get sick or die from it. But how about just taking it so your bloodstream can weaken covid, so when it spreads to more vulnerable people with weaker immune systems, it wont be so potent. Think of getting the vax as simply just helping others in your city who are more prone to infections?

"Nah, not my problem".

But what about your parents who might be 70 years old? Dont you wanna be less contagious to your own mom and dad?

"There's only one numero-uno in life folks. And you're looking at him".

Last edited:

sinnergy

So true.

And out of every vaccine we all get as a kid, or some random drug each of our doc's prescribes us, somehow none of them are ever challenged. People just do it.

Yet covid vax is the one medical thing in life worth fighting against.

And unlike other meds people take (to heal an issue which mostly only affects that person only), covid is a spreadable thing. So in theory, you'd think people would take it not just for themselves, but to help reduce covid effect on others since it's contagious.

"Nope. My life and I do what I want".

But you want your freedom and cities open up stores and travel when covid cases drop and there's fewer critically ill people in hospitals.

"Doesn't matter. I know I wont get covid or even test for it to count in trackers. So I'm not getting the vax".

But other people can get sick off your covid even though you are healthy and fine. So they get admitted to hospitals where those people will increase the covid counters pissing off governments into more lock downs. The vax is free, is offered everywhere, and believe it or not the needle doesn't hurt.

"Not budging bud".
It’s simple , these vaccines where made within a year, the companies making these are free from if problems arise , it’s in their contracts , even approving runs out by February I heard , that’s why everyone wants boosters out of the way before March . The last part is hear / say .. who knows. All kinds of folklore start with this kind of shit.

Normal vaccines take years to make and test ..

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s simple , these vaccines where made within a year, the companies making these are free from if problems arise , it’s in their contracts , even approving runs out by February I heard , that’s why everyone wants boosters out of the way before March . The last part is hear / say .. who knows. All kinds of folklore start with this kind of shit.

Normal vaccines take years to make and test ..
And all vaccines I think are free from problems or getting sued. That's the deal governments make if they want pharma to make vaccines. Or else nobody would make them.

If the vax is so bad, you'd get millions of people dropping dead from it the past year from taking it.

tommolb

BTW look at this.

I see the anti-vaxers are now trying the "Vaccines cause AIDS" line.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh my god, we’re back to ‘the vaccine was rushed’ bullshit.

Merry Go Round Oops GIF by Far Cry 6

Well, they were rushed! The real question is whether the results of the expedited approvals process has resulted in elevated risk to the public, the answer to which is unequivocally yes, BUT, on the balance of evidence not to any significant degree.

For instance, while the potentials for severe atypical response from Oxford/AZ are accepted as medically factual at this point, these effects were only discovered after mass deployment, and its very arguable that long-term trialling would have exposed these risks, and which cohorts are most likely to suffer them, sooner. The incidence of the severe side-effects are still thankfully very low, and in the short-term its was proven to be an extremely effective vaccine.

I'm not going beyond that because despite noting that there is contingent who have alleged interference with VAERS reporting in the US in order not to undermine confidence in the Pfizer vaccine, I honestly do not know if there's any real evidence to support this, and its largely a political dispute anyway.

M. Crassus

Welp.

6axwkHs.jpg

Sat 14 Jan - AM - 37C, runny nose, reproductive cough, fatigue, PM - 37.3C, congested nose, tickly throat - SYMPTOMS DAY 3

Triple vaccinated - Moderna (May), Moderna (July), Pfizer (December). Have been wearing mask always in public. In the last week I have had very few contacts as our villa is remote, and it’s stormy here.

Congrats! You have a cold.

tommolb

And all vaccines I think are free from problems or getting sued. That's the deal governments make if they want pharma to make vaccines. Or else nobody would make them.

If the vax is so bad, you'd get millions of people dropping dead from it the past year from taking it.
Exactly. The media would be full of stories of people being ill and dying, except of course if you believe there is a massive cover up, but that'd mean you'd jumped down the anti-vaxer/conspiracy theory rabbit hole.

These vaccines were not rushed. They went through all the relevant testing phases.

They've been put in the arms of a billion people. Multiple doses have been put into people of all ages and ethnicities. Very few ill effects have been reported.

The only effect of the vaccines has been to drive down hospitalisation and death from Covid.

sinnergy

Long term outcomes are not clear .. just saying , and there are a lot more variables at play , but I leave it at this.

I had my two shots and that’s it.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Welp.

6axwkHs.jpg

Classic COVID , seems people still run around spreading for 2 weeks 🤣 like the original version ! Take care man! It’s all marketing at this point to keep economies open, wear masks etc ..

Last edited:

ManaByte

CA is now requiring vaccination/testing for anything over 500 people indoors/5000 people outdoors.

Last edited:

sinnergy

It wouldn't surprise you if the vaccine causes AIDS because something to do with the economy. Turns out you were the 🤡 all along.
Who said anything about AIDS 🤣 vaccines didnt cause COVID, neither did vaccines cause AIDS probably .. but you lot are crazy Bonkers here .. in the end measures will stay and are needed , but more isolated, as this virus keeps evolving, end will be epidemic, not endemic.

Most posters in here seem to be 50+ 🤣

Last edited:
Who said anything about AIDS 🤣 vaccines didnt cause COVID, neither did vaccines cause AIDS probably ..

the article you quoted and said you wouldn’t be surprised at, that’s who…and yes, “probably” they didn’t so if they did cause AIDS that would probably be quite a surprise

you quoting that article and saying you wouldn’t be surprised is like saying you wouldn’t be surprised if the vaccine caused ears to fall off…aka antivax FUD, but maybe you just didn’t read what you were quoting which would be par for the course for that article anyway

sinnergy

the article you quoted and said you wouldn’t be surprised at, that’s who…and yes, “probably” they didn’t so if they did cause AIDS that would probably be quite a surprise

you quoting that article and saying you wouldn’t be surprised is like saying you wouldn’t be surprised if the vaccine caused ears to fall off…aka antivax FUD, but maybe you just didn’t read what you were quoting which would be par for the course for that article anyway
I firmly believe that if you don’t test long enough you can miss important long term effects . That’s the outcome , they are .. not known, like woman who had serious damage after using a brand of the birth control pill after 15 - 20 years .. that happened.

You can’t rule that out, because you don’t have that data.

I am also against letting COVID spread, because it seems the milder you get it the more chance there is to get long COVID , so it’s all complicated , because you always get mild COVID after vaccination.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
Some are now saying that the immunity provided by Omicron is weak and you can readily get re-infected (re-infection after natural immunity induced via previous variants was EXTREMELY rare): https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cor...-bay-area-infectious-disease-experts/2778967/

Obviously we need more proper data on this. But, if true, the part that's most shocking to me is that apparently people got re-infected in under 7 weeks, since Omicron hasn't even been in the US for 2 months yet. Pretty crazy if true - you'd expect at least a bit more durability of immunity than that. I wonder how rigorous the data these doctors analyzed was - I'm wondering if these folks had Delta and then became infected with Omicron, as opposed to two concurrent infections by Omicron less than 7 weeks apart.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Congrats! You have a cold.

Classic COVID , seems people still run around spreading for 2 weeks 🤣 like the original version ! Take care man! It’s all marketing at this point to keep economies open, wear masks etc ..

It’s crazy how about easy it is to go spreading this around. When I got the sniffle three days ago I immediately did a home test, negative. Yesterday we were thinking of going for a Saturday beer to a local terrace. My wife said that we best test before we go, just in case, because I had a runny nose. BAM, positive. Having home tests at hand ans using them helped us stop spreading it.

Day 4 of symptoms. Fever is gone and nose has cleared. Only thing that remains is a cactus in the throat.

sinnergy

It’s crazy how about easy it is to go spreading this around. When I got the sniffle three days ago I immediately did a home test, negative. Yesterday we were thinking of going for a Saturday beer to a local terrace. My wife said that we best test before we go, just in case, because I had a runny nose. BAM, positive. Having home tests at hand ans using them helped us stop spreading it.

Day 4 of symptoms. Fever is gone and nose has cleared. Only thing that remains is a cactus in the throat.
I test a lot, until now no COVID, but I don’t think I can outrun this version .

sinnergy

Some are now saying that the immunity provided by Omicron is weak and you can readily get re-infected (re-infection after natural immunity induced via previous variants was EXTREMELY rare): https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cor...-bay-area-infectious-disease-experts/2778967/

Obviously we need more proper data on this. But, if true, the part that's most shocking to me is that apparently people got re-infected in under 7 weeks, since Omicron hasn't even been in the US for 2 months yet. Pretty crazy if true - you'd expect at least a bit more durability of immunity than that. I wonder how rigorous the data these doctors analyzed was - I'm wondering if these folks had Delta and then became infected with Omicron, as opposed to two concurrent infections by Omicron less than 7 weeks apart.
Well, it’s not that weird , as I explained a couple of times , our common colds are also some variants of corona , which you can get multiple times a year … who says both delta and Omnikron can’t circulate together.. who knows at this point ..

Also when COVID hit , I knew someone who was in a test group officially from the government, and she had no antibodies after 3 weeks .. so maybe it was always the case with some people .. COVID is a weird bug .

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I test a lot, until now no COVID, but I don’t think I can outrun this version .

There is really no escaping, I mean - we live on an extremely remote tropical island with an official covid rate of 150 per 100K, and had a single occasion of exposure to other people in the last week.

Thankfully odds are that it’s not bad, at least if you are fully vaxxed. If you keep testing, I would recommend using the UK home test method and swabbing the throat properly before your nose, as omicron really grows in the throat most.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That Rav Arora article about myocarditis makes a very compelling case. Worth a read imho, and I'm sorry for anyone who looks at it as anti-vaxxer screed.

The plain truth is that recognizing medicine generally as a tremendous public good, whilst also accepting that some medicines are and have historically been over-prescribed to public detriment, are not contradictory positions to hold simultaneously.

sinnergy

There is really no escaping, I mean - we live on an extremely remote tropical island with an official covid rate of 150 per 100K, and had a single occasion of exposure to other people in the last week.

Thankfully odds are that it’s not bad, at least if you are fully vaxxed. If you keep testing, I would recommend using the UK home test method and swabbing the throat properly before your nose, as omicron really grows in the throat most.
Yeah already figured that one out about 1,5 month ago, I did throat and nose swaps .. it hit me that’s what they do with PCr .. weird it took so long for scientists to catch on 🤣

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
If you had told me when the vaccine became available early last year that this would still be going on a year later, I would have encouraged you to lighten up and quit being so uselessly pessimistic. WTF is going on?

Johns Hopkins university is a world renowned medical school and research facility. Of course they are going to be strict as hell when it comes to Covid.

Now show me a normal college like Oklahoma or Alabama is doing the same kind of thing.

Top Bottom