• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The plain truth is that recognizing medicine generally as a tremendous public good, whilst also accepting that some medicines are and have historically been over-prescribed to public detriment, are not contradictory positions to hold simultaneously.
So true.

Anti-science/anti-med people often do the 'ol "but a google search shows someone had a bad reaction to it, so I'm not getting it".

If that's the case, every one of these people should be starving from hunger and never get any med in life because everything you ingest surely has had someone among the billions of people get sick from it. Even if it's a bag of chips or tap water (Flint Michigan brown water), there's always a risk of someone getting ill.

Volvo cars are always supposed to be 5-star rating safety behemoths. I'm sure their cars have recalls too for faulty parts. Doesn't mean suddenly they are 1-star cars to avoid.

It's like every one of them suddenly got medical degrees overnight since Jan 2020 from the University of Facebook News Feeds and Doctor Backdoor Alley.

Buy a car, and just about everyone goes to a brand's official dealership. Not many people test their luck from a used car salesman from those small sketchy car lots you see selling who knows what. But when it comes to meds and vax, they'd rather trust an opinion from a guy doing it out of his garage than docs and gov.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Covid symptoms day 4. The low fever (37.3C) has lifted. Nose is open again. Headache is gone. Only symptoms remaining are the cactus in the throat and loss if voice.

Hopefully super immunity soon:

That Rav Arora article about myocarditis makes a very compelling case. Worth a read imho, and I'm sorry for anyone who looks at it as anti-vaxxer screed.

The plain truth is that recognizing medicine generally as a tremendous public good, whilst also accepting that some medicines are and have historically been over-prescribed to public detriment, are not contradictory positions to hold simultaneously.
Like antibiotics in India?
Or painkiller in the US?
Yeah that happens all the time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Tested positive today. God speed everyone. If this consumes me... I went you all to know.....I hate you all more then you could ever know. Especially fart town usa fart town usa for liking scream 3 more than 4.
LOL

Get better soon brother. I had omicron last week and mostly just had a gnarly headache for 2 days, slight body aches. No fever thankfully. I'm back to normal now. Taste was kinda altered for a few days, didn't lose it but some things tasted better, and some worse. Taste is normal again too.

Stay hydrated and get some rest!!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
LOL

Get better soon brother. I had omicron last week and mostly just had a gnarly headache for 2 days, slight body aches. No fever thankfully. I'm back to normal now. Taste was kinda altered for a few days, didn't lose it but some things tasted better, and some worse. Taste is normal again too.

Stay hydrated and get some rest!!
I just had a bunch of sinus surgery as well so the headache is putting me down hard.

Gonna use the time to catch up on the games I've missed.

It wouldn’t surprise me to be honest , as we are now in a save the economy end-game ..
Well what else is there. The economy is important to most people and it doesn't look like anyone's got a viable strategy to control this variant. If Israel gave up, what hope do other countries have? We probably had a shot when the vaccines were available and effective in substantially reducing transmission, but at this point we gotta live with the prospect of getting infected. Let's just hope that COVID doesn't have long-term effects. Reading about the Epstein-Barr-Virus increasing the risk of multiple sclerosis >30 fold is scary. I honestly hate those who propagate(d) anti-vax disinformation for their own personal gain from the bottom of my heart. I also think this disinformation pandemic is almost as bad the viral pandemic. I don't know what a solution for this is unfortunately. Being sensationalist on the internet is much too rewarding at the moment.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

And that's the bad thing. And a ton of us brought up issues like that would happen in 2020 when places were on lockdown and shuffling back and forth between in class and online learning.

I have no idea how much data governments track on all the side effects from covid (mental health of adults and kids, school grades, student quality of work, suicides, drug abuse etc....) that may or may not come from 2 years worth of people getting shuffled around like cattle and being nagged about covid 24/7, but no doubt it's there.

I'm fine since Im single and WFH. I got a job, fine, and the biggest issue I have is just boredom. But for all the parents and kids out there getting nailed with family life shit it's got to be a drain.

But the only thing government has on it's mind to promote to the masses is the daily covid case tracker.

You might actually have tons of repercussions due to covid policies, but no gov will ever have balls to show it. And does any gov out there even have services to support these kinds of issues? Or is everything lock and loaded just for covid cases in hospitals?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I have a friend who tested positive for COVID who says he's going into work tomorrow because he's afraid he's going to be fired for taking off with no sick days left.

I'm like dude, you're more likely to be fired going in with COVID than be fired for taking off with it.

"They won't believe me, they'll think I'm trying to get a free day off"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have a friend who tested positive for COVID who says he's going into work tomorrow because he's afraid he's going to be fired for taking off with no sick days left.

I'm like dude, you're more likely to be fired going in with COVID than be fired for taking off with it.

Unfortunately way too common in cultures that prioritize profits over health.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I got that 'Cron son. Woke up feeling a little off kilter with a fully-congested nose. Went to use the restroom and suddenly and explosively vomited out apparently everything I had eaten for dinner the night before. Took the last test I had around the house - positive. II mean it could be delta but I doubt it. Anyway, was weak so I grabbed some liquids and spent the morning in bed reading until I fell asleep. The woman let me slumber, and I slept all afternoon until well after sunset.

Drinking some chai now and feel fine. I no longer even have a runny nose. But still tired as hell, and for some reason a fierce need for instant ramen with some sriracha squirted onto a bite here and there (which I am about to rectify here soon).

Chittagong

Gold Member

Jesus. Sounds like he is mentally a special needs person :D

Like you said, him going in and knowingly infecting 10 coworkers and forcing them on sick leave will definitely get him fired. Mask won’t help with Omicron, I got it from a single masked exposure on Tuesday.

Like, call your boss, tell him you tested positive. He will say one of the following things

1 - Stay home.
2 - Stay home and provide proof
3 - Covid, loz just get your lazy ass here

Except he won’t say the last option, but regardless, the responsibility is now tossed over to the boss anyway.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I got that 'Cron son. Woke up feeling a little off kilter with a fully-congested nose. Went to use the restroom and suddenly and explosively vomited out apparently everything I had eaten for dinner the night before. Took the last test I had around the house - positive. II mean it could be delta but I doubt it. Anyway, was weak so I grabbed some liquids and spent the morning in bed reading until I fell asleep. The woman let me slumber, and I slept all afternoon until well after sunset.

Drinking some chai now and feel fine. I no longer even have a runny nose. But still tired as hell, and for some reason a fierce need for instant ramen with some sriracha squirted onto a bite here and there (which I am about to rectify here soon).

Same as mine except no vomit for me. But I am hungry. Was super tired yesterday. Runny nose comes and goes. Sore throat seems gone thankfully.

sinnergy

But it can be his own fear .. doesn’t mean his boss fires him , and sick is sick . He could say, I can infect your whole workforce that’s a bigger risk for the business.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Boris Johnson is a party dude 🎉 second freedom day 26 January.. 🤡 he just can’t get enough , can’t get enough 🎶

Judging by the numbers, there is no country that has done as well with Omicron as the UK.

So if it takes a clown to return to normality and at the same time to death rates that don't even cause excess mortality, then I think many people are welcome this clown. Of course, this does not apply to people who cannot separate simple facts and statistics from their political ideology.

But whatever. How seriously are you supposed to take someone who still seems to think that a Boris Johnson makes decisions like this all by himself.

HoodWinked

That's not really a proper conclusion. That's just an imbecile, actual profit analysis would prevent infectious employees from coming in and infecting other employees which would kill productivity and even cause issues with liability for workplace hazard.

betrayal

Banned
In terms of what metric?

Official numbers of cases, hospitalizations, people who need mechanical ventilation (lowest since October/summer '21) and deaths.

HpZJDPz.jpg
9kDz4hY.jpg
UJD996p.jpg
4hT0deu.jpg

Sources:

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's not really a proper conclusion. That's just an imbecile, actual profit analysis would prevent infectious employees from coming in and infecting other employees which would kill productivity and even cause issues with liability for workplace hazard.
This is true, many shitty middle managers are indeed imbeciles.

FireFly

Official numbers of cases, hospitalizations, people who need mechanical ventilation (lowest since October/summer '21) and deaths.

Sources:
In terms of cumulative cases per million, the UK was behind, but overtook other European countries over the summer/fall, and is still ahead.

In terms of deaths, the Scandinavian countries have maintained consistently lower deaths since summer 2021, and other countries like France and Germany have seen similar death levels to the UK but peaked at different times.

The UK has peaked below some European countries in terms of daily cases with Omicron, but also had consistently higher case rates beforehand. So I don't see that there is any free lunch. The main benefit of the UK's approach is that by spreading case loads over a longer period of time, it avoids the need for restrictions. But if all you care about is avoiding cases, you can compare with South Korea, Japan, Taiwan etc.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Pretty sure we just had covid through the house. My 2.5 year old daughter first. Just a fever with some vomiting. Lots of sleep.

Wife got a bad head cold that turned into stomach cramps and shaking? Weird.

Newborn is sick as well. Diarrhea and spitting up a lot. Small fever.

I just woke up yesterday with a head cold that seems to have gone away today and im left with strong nausea, shakes, no appetite and super tired, cold.

Weirdest sickness I've ever had.

Stupid thing is I can't even get tested to find out for sure so we're left not knowing.

plushyp

What if he sends pictures of the positive result as proof?

G-Bus

Banned
Two years into a pandemic, in a world that can shit out endless bits of factory produced plastic crap, there is no good reason why any of us are short of tests.

Yea im definitely in a bit of disbelief about it.

What's even more frustrating is it's different between provinces. Ontario is giving them out like they have too many and BC said unless your unvaccinated and high risk or a healthcare professional to just stay home and assume it's covid. Not to mention they can't even keep up with the testing as is. What the fuck has happened these last two years? Aren't we supposed to get better. More efficient with this. Unbelievable.

I called a few pharmacies about the take home tests and they said they don't even know how to get them.

betrayal

Banned
In terms of cumulative cases per million, the UK was behind, but overtook other European countries over the summer/fall, and is still ahead.

In terms of deaths, the Scandinavian countries have maintained consistently lower deaths since summer 2021, and other countries like France and Germany have seen similar death levels to the UK but peaked at different times.

The UK has peaked below some European countries in terms of daily cases with Omicron, but also had consistently higher case rates beforehand. So I don't see that there is any free lunch. The main benefit of the UK's approach is that by spreading case loads over a longer period of time, it avoids the need for restrictions. But if all you care about is avoiding cases, you can compare with South Korea, Japan, Taiwan etc.

You can't use cumulative numbers, from the last 2 years, as a basis for comparison for the Omicron waves.

Likewise, you cannot compare cumulative deaths from Sweden and the UK during the Omicron wave when Sweden has 10 million residents and the UK has 67 million.

Also, and this should be clear by now, mere case numbers that are not in context to death rates or ICU admissions are meaningless.

If you interpret the linked graphs correctly, then all that I have mentioned is confirmed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seems like the doomsday prophets got their figures wildly wrong once again. As Omicron trends at below 10% of the severity of Delta, UK is riding out the wave and planning to end all restrictions by March.

53045587-10412465-image-a-68_1642464460398.jpg

Meanwhile, it’s good to point out that in the context of Omicron, Mild ≠ Uncomfortable. Mild simply means a non-pneumonia case.

At Day 5 of my Omicron triple shotted, I would class this as a moderate flu. Certainly more uncomfortable than I expected. At this point, feels like a 24/7 hay fever that comes in 4h cycles of intensely runny nose and sneezing, just that antihistamine does not do shit. I shudder when I think what this could feel unvaxxed.

Last edited:

FireFly

You can't use cumulative numbers, from the last 2 years, as a basis for comparison for the Omicron waves.

Likewise, you cannot compare cumulative deaths from Sweden and the UK during the Omicron wave when Sweden has 10 million residents and the UK has 67 million.

Also, and this should be clear by now, mere case numbers that are not in context to death rates or ICU admissions are meaningless.

If you interpret the linked graphs correctly, then all that I have mentioned is confirmed.
Did you click the links? The cumulative figures are since last summer, since you gave "summer '21'" as a reference point, and since my point is that a lower Omicron peak now is balanced by much higher Delta case loads before. The cumulative deaths are deaths per million, so already take into account the size of the population.

Edit: To be clear, the cumulative totals in the graph start from the beginning, but I am talking about the trajectory with last summer taken as a starting point; hence the date selection in the graph.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Two years into a pandemic, in a world that can shit out endless bits of factory produced plastic crap, there is no good reason why any of us are short of tests.
Why make Covid tests when you can make more plastic crap for consumption? What will we do if we can't buy our newest gadgets to stuff in our homes?

betrayal

Banned
Did you click the links? The cumulative figures are since last summer, since you gave "summer '21'" as a reference point, and since my point is that a lower Omicron peak now is balanced by much higher Delta case loads before. The cumulative deaths are deaths per million, so already take into account the size of the population.

Edit: To be clear, the cumulative totals in the graph start from the beginning, but I am talking about the trajectory with last summer taken as a starting point; hence the date selection in the graph.

Ah okay, we were talking about two different things then. I was referring exclusively to the waves of infections caused by Omicron.

Of course, the UK was not the "best" country considering the last waves. But even then, you have to keep in mind that they had significantly fewer restrictions than most other countries with comparable death rates.

TTOOLL

If you had told me when the vaccine became available early last year that this would still be going on a year later, I would have encouraged you to lighten up and quit being so uselessly pessimistic. WTF is going on?

What’s going on is mass psychosis.

I'm amazed the whole world believed China that they 'have eradicated Covid' after the initial wave - you really get 20 cases a day in a country of 1.3bln? Lol, nah mang, this shit is flying.
Did China ever stated they eradicated COVID? Because I've been here since the beginning and there were never such claims. China always had some local cases here and there, and there's still checkpoints and temperature and QR code checking in every building.

And yeah, there's really a small amount of cases because of the "dynamic covid zero" policy. The city I'm at was closed because of 150 cases, something that would never happen in a western country. China has a different approach that maintains the number of cases down.

Chaplain

Professor Cyrille Cohen is head of Immunology at Bar Ilan University and a member of the advisory committee for vaccines for the Israeli Government. In a wide-ranging and forthright interview, the Professor tells Freddie Sayers:
  • The Green Pass / vaccine passport concept is no longer relevant in the Omicron era and should be phased out (he expects it to be in short order in Israel)
  • He and his colleagues were surprised and disappointed that the vaccines did not prevent transmission, as they had originally hoped
  • The biggest mistake of the pandemic in Israel was closing schools and education – he apologised for that
  • Widespread infection is now an inevitable part of future immunity — otherwise known as herd immunity
  • Omicron has accelerated the pandemic into the endemic phase, in which Covid will be “like flu”

edited

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
Seems like the doomsday prophets got their figures wildly wrong once again. As Omicron trends at below 10% of the severity of Delta, UK is riding out the wave and planning to end all restrictions by March.

Meanwhile, it’s good to point out that in the context of Omicron, Mild ≠ Uncomfortable. Mild simply means a non-pneumonia case.

At Day 5 of my Omicron triple shotted, I would class this as a moderate flu. Certainly more uncomfortable than I expected. At this point, feels like a 24/7 hay fever that comes in 4h cycles of intensely runny nose and sneezing, just that antihistamine does not do shit. I shudder when I think what this could feel unvaxxed.

Everyone is different. Much like with previous strains of COVID, you can't really predict how individuals will react to the infection, vaccinated or not. My unvaxxed wife had a low-grade fever, some body aches, a swollen gland in her throat, and a cough, but was 95% better after 2 days. Everyone else I know who's vaxxed/boosted who contracted (presumably) Omicron these last few weeks have fared quite a bit worse in terms of intensity and duration of symptoms. Fortunately no hospitalizations or anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom