• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowboy Bebop | Official Teaser “Lost Session” | Netflix

Thaedolus

Ok GIF

Relativ9

It's got a lot of cringe acting and overdone "moments", but then again I suspect so does the anime it's just difficult to tell cause of the foreign language. But at least the aesthetic is nice.

Thaedolus

It's got a lot of cringe acting and overdone "moments", but then again I suspect so does the anime it's just difficult to tell cause of the foreign language. But at least the aesthetic is nice.
The English dub of the anime is the best version and the acting is great. This just feels…amateurish

Kev Kev

uuuuhhh sooo yeeaah this is kind of awakward but....

i kinda liked it?

the art direction and tone was not bad actually.the actors and what they were saying felt close enough to the vibe that i get from the OG show. FUCKING GREEN BIRD!!! the CG shot of the bebop with swordfish on top, the intro is straight out of the bounty hunter show they watch called "Big Shots", and more...

i hate anime but bebop is my favorite show of all time (yeah, weird, i know), and as a musician and a big fan of jazz and all things space/sci-fi its just straight up one of my favorite things in the whole world. i have low expectations but not gonna lie i am pretty stoked for this!

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I saw the anime so many times but never felt spike as Asian.

i would pick the guy from the movie cruela as spike.
i feel the same. but at the same time, john cho is a really like-able actor, so im good with it.

the actor they got for jett seems to have done his homework too. the way he was saying things and what he was saying felt very "jett" to me, and fayes actor is onto it as well. although i fear she will interject too much of herself into the character, instead of channeling faye through herself, i still think she has enough sass to get the job done.

but faye also had moments of insecurity and weakness, in fact it was at the core of her charcater arc and part of the reason she was so sassy to begin with. so this girl is going to have to show that she can be vulnerable as well, and that remains to be seen.

but still, not gonna lie, the more i see of this show the more optimistic i am. i cant believe im saying this but i cant wit to watch this in november. and im not afraid to say it. it looks like its going to be really interesting and fresh while still being faithful.

Fbh

Life action anime just doesn't work (95% of the time)

Awful. Truly awful. Maybe I'm misremembering the anime. Was it as bad as this? The tone seems way off. I have almost no hope for this to not be a fucking disgrace.

that sucks bill murray GIF

Anime and "live action" are just too different. Which is why most adaptations suck.

You can either make big changes for it to work better in live action, but that will upset the fans.
Or you try to stay reasonably close to the original material and it ends up looking and sounding cringy, like this.

Like a white haired dude with a Katana in a sci fi context can be cool in an animated format, because you can draw him in an art style that's consistent with the rest of the world, and the expectations for accurate physics and realism aren't nearly as strong. But take it to a "live action" show and it just looks like an out of place cosplayer in a wig.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I'm still keeping an open mind, the teaser got better toward the end but...I'm setting my expectations appropriately low. If nothing else, it'll be nice to blast some new/classic Kanno music.

AJUMP23

I thought the dialog was messy, but very anime, I did like the scene transition and the way thy changed it up. I think that was cool, and made it feel different. Overall though the sets looked cheap or you could tell it was just a backlot somewhere. I will check it out, but it will never live up to the original.

Tschumi

spike too short and too jackie chan, faye not slutty enough, big guy not big enough and missing a giant metal arm or two

Kev Kev Kev Kev i see you disapproving i see you

I kept it short and sharp because i didn't think anybody would care lol, i think it's been miss cast and although I'm the last person to complain about "wokeness" their version of Faye and Diablo 2 Resurrected's addition of buttflaps to all demons which previously wore thongs has triggered me.

To be honest i struggled to get into bebop, i found it hard to get into the vignette storytelling, and i didn't think Spike's story was handled very well. I also don't like Evangelion for similar reasons.

Do love the soundtrack and style of the show, and the characters, i just don't think they really achieved the alchemy of the great animes it's usually held up alongside.

So yes, i was a bit clipped in my post but yeah I'm legit not feeling this at this moment. Jah bless, all.

Edit 2: from memory spike wasn't cocky when he kicked ass, he was always kinda brooding, I'll have to confirm that though

Last edited:

Shouta

I'm kind of digging it. It's pretty different from the show and since they know they aren't going to match the original, aiming for something with its own vibe is pretty neat. It might be fun.

Kev Kev

spike too short and too jackie chan, faye not slutty enough, big guy not big enough and missing a giant metal arm or two

Kev Kev Kev Kev i see you disapproving i see you

I kept it short and sharp because i didn't think anybody would care lol, i think it's been miss cast and although I'm the last person to complain about "wokeness" their version of Faye and Diablo 2 Resurrected's addition of buttflaps to all demons which previously wore thongs has triggered me.

To be honest i struggled to get into bebop, i found it hard to get into the vignette storytelling, and i didn't think Spike's story was handled very well. I also don't like Evangelion for similar reasons.

Do love the soundtrack and style of the show, and the characters, i just going think they really achieved the alchemy of the great animes it's usually held up alongside.

So yes, i was a bit clipped in my post but yeah I'm legit not feeling this at this moment. Jah bless, all.
Fair enough 👍 Yeah it definitely sounds like it’s not the show for you. I can understand the criticisms, I certainly have plenty of my own complaints about the direction they’ve gone (especially when I saw Gren’s actor for the first time 🤦‍♂️) .

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cowboy beepbob is must see tv it’s impossibly great people believe it’s a Netflix and chill thing but the show is fueled by great episodes the concept of space and off world colonies is impossible but it works for TV who has seen the show already? Is cowboy beepbop going to take dragon ball supers keys? Yes because that anime is operating in manga circles, low and behold an anime nobody thought was going to be on Hulu is on Netflix, when you go back and see cowboy it was made in a way I like this pickup for Netflix if it doesn’t please original fans of the series they can flat out fu*Ck off I almost hope people that never heard of the show watch it.
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

trikster40

Looks like they couldn’t decide if they wanted to be like Tarantino or the anime.

Who the hell asked for a live action version of this anyway?

Kev Kev

Looks like they couldn’t decide if they wanted to be like Tarantino or the anime.

Who the hell asked for a live action version of this anyway?
lol literally no one. I still have no idea why they thought this would be a good idea.

but with such low expectations and knowing it won’t live up to the original, I’m looking forward to their take on the show and spending more time in that universe

I always wished they made at least a couple more movies, so I’ll settle for this even if it’s not as good as the OG

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dunno. I really liked the creativity in that clip. I think I'm gonna get nice and drunk to watch this and at least appreciate the physical gags. even if the actors seem to be a bit lost in the scene.

So this is supposed to be a retelling of Bebop or just missing stories "within" the existing anime? Calling it the "Lost Sessions" is kinda confusing.

Totally agree on Koji. Warrior is an awesome show most folks are totally sleeping on but shouldn't. S2E9 was basically the initial mass fight from "Big Trouble in Little China" minus Jack Burton and everyone should be watching it!

MastaKiiLA

I wonder if that constant swiping will get tiresome very soon. I think this looks really interesting, but I'm always going to be skeptical of live-action anime. The anime was excellent. I wish they'd do a live-action version of the fight against Mad Pierrot. That was possibly my favorite episode of the series.

I'll be all over this, and I expect that I'll enjoy it too. It looks visually pleasing, which is important to me. Now I just want to see what Vicious looks like. Gotta nail that character.

zeorhymer

Spike looks super slow motion for some reason. Jet is for some reason a sterotypical black side kick and not the grizzled old dad type. Faye...is whiny.

Kev Kev

I dunno. I really liked the creativity in that clip. I think I'm gonna get nice and drunk to watch this and at least appreciate the physical gags. even if the actors seem to be a bit lost in the scene.

So this is supposed to be a retelling of Bebop or just missing stories "within" the existing anime? Calling it the "Lost Sessions" is kinda confusing.

Totally agree on Koji. Warrior is an awesome show most folks are totally sleeping on but shouldn't. S2E9 was basically the initial mass fight from "Big Trouble in Little China" minus Jack Burton and everyone should be watching it!
Check out the intro if you haven’t yet, you might see something at 0:36 that I think you’ll appreciate 😉

also, viscous is a bit on the nose (in a way), but I’m cool with it. His voice in that trailer was fine with me too. Not trying to be exactly the same, but still had that whispery, almost talking under his breath kind of tone

the actor has a pretty menacing look to him, but not pasty white enough to match the show. eh, overall I’m good with it even if the changes from the OG are a bit jarring
Untitled-design-12.png

vicious-cowboy-bebop-header.jpg

Have they shown this character yet? 🤢
21f9ccb8d84137d01ada2f6ce711b993.jpg
cowboy-bebop-Elena-Satine-1.jpg

Yeah this is sooooo bad. The interview with the actor was all about trans rights and how important inclusivity is 🤦‍♂️ Like listen I have nothing against trans people but Gren wasn’t a trans character, he had tits from side effects of a drug he took for PTSD. Lol he’s a beloved character, fans of the OG don’t want this, and this type of fake woke pandering should be offensive to trans people, imo.

It’s a massive misstep for the show and a bad sign of other horrible decisions im sure they will make.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I didn't mean anything racial, i just don't see spike as a kind of gag kung foo melee pinball warrior.. in my mind he moves more deliberately and with more power, punctuation, fewer poses... i say the advert looks like Jackie chan because it reminds me of his Hong Kong Shaw brothers films, and yeah that's not how i imagine Spike

Jeez guys other people said way meaner stuff than me...

Keihart

This looks way cheesier than the anime ever did....i'm alright with that, it's exactly what i was expecting, not better than Gintama's live action yet not as tastefull as Kenshin's live action, still, looks exactly like a japanese live action.

I would of prefered a real adaptation, but people are gonna complain if it's different and if it's too much alike, so this style was the safer bet.
giphy.gif

Keihart

Life action anime just doesn't work (95% of the time)

Anime and "life action" are just too different. Which is why most adaptations suck.

You can either make big changes for it to work better in life action, but that will upset the fans.
Or you try to stay reasonably close to the original material and it ends up looking and sounding cringy, like this.

Like a white haired dude with a Katana in a sci fi context can be cool in an animated format, because you can draw him in an art style that's consistent with the rest of the world, and the expectations for accurate physics and realism aren't nearly as strong. But take it to a "life action" show and it just looks like an out of place cosplayer in a wig.
To be fair, there are several manga adaptations that are incredible good and you wouldn't even know it comes from a manga unless you are told so, but then, as you point out, you need to make changes to better suit the medium and die hard fans more often than not will complain about not being exactly like the source material.

Live action anime films look exactly like this, the better ones are the ones that are already look silly in their manga/animated version in my opinion.

Top Bottom