• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest thing you’ve done for trophy/achievement?

trikster40

What’s the craziest or most outrageous thing you’ve done to earn a pesky trophy or achievement?

Ive been going through my backlog and found one PS3 game that all I needed was some pesky multiplayer trophies to earn the platinum trophy. Problem is, I didn’t have the game anymore. No biggie, bought it digital so I could use both of my PS3s to boost and get them out of the way.

Well, turns out, you need 5...count em...5 players to play a matchmaking game to earn the trophies. No way to boost, or was there?

The game happened to be on PS Now, so, I signed up and logged in on one of my PS4s. All right, up to 3, just need 2 more players.

Logges in on my second PS4, and well, crap, my sub accounts can’t use my main’s PS now account. So I signed up my alt account on a 7 day trial. Ok, up to 4.

Created another sub account, another 7 day free trial, logged in on my PS5, and boom. 5 players.

Oh, and I only have two TVS, so lots of switching HDMI cables and switching inputs.

Trophies earned, only needed 5 systems, 2 TVS, and 3 subscriptions to PS now.

I need help.

Last edited:
Godfall.

Might as well call me a fucking lunatic.

(in seriousness, it's not THAT bad of a game, I actually kinda enjoyed it, but grinding to get viable for the lvl 50 AToT run for the final trophy was...madness. It is easier now since the latest update)

Pejo

The souls games are my only platinum trophies, so I guess either grinding out pure bladestone or doing multiple playthroughs for the all spells/equipment achievements. Usually I don't pay acheivements any mind whatsoever.

Mr Hyde

Completed Akumu Mode in The Evil Within. The most frustrating experience I ever had in a video game. Died over 700 times. Looking back at it today, I can't actually believe I did it. So in a way, I'd say I'm pretty proud of it too. Makes you think no game is hard enough to beat. You just gotta put your mind to it. And have a lotta patience.

kingwingin

My buddy and I played killzone 2 online for a week straight just so I could get that mvp trophy. Spent hours upon hours just headshotting him

Last edited:

MAtgS

Attempting to plat Skyrim atm. Geez, what an ordeal this has been. I don't understand what does & does not constitute a side quest in this game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

People wont believe me but i have always had zero interest in achievements and trophies. I literally have only ever done one 'on purpose' and it was the 'Space Man' achievement from HL2: EP.2 where you have to take the gnome through the whole game, then put it in the rocket cockpit at the end of the game. And i only did that achievement because i thought it sounded interesting, and hard (whihc it bloody was lol).

Aenima

Trying to do 950 points in Otometal My Life song in Yakuza Kiwami as it was one of the objectives needed to platinum the game, and after retrying about 20 times and finally managed the score, i ended up giving up in other easier objectives and never got the platinum.

Im not that good at rythm games, but was interesting to see that i started to score pretty low points, and the more i retried it, saw slow improvements untill got a pretty good score in the hardest song.

Moonjt9

Hollow knight platinum because you have to kill all 42 bosses in a row without dying. Took me a solid 14 hours of training on bosses and doing attempts before I finally succeeded. Total waste of time but godDAMN if that wasn’t one of the best gaming moments of my life when that last boss fell.

It worked out in the end though. A few months later a friend of mine wanted the plat for hollow knight but he couldn’t do the boss rush. Promised me a king crab dinner if I got it for him. Took me three tries that time haha. Hollow Knight’s bosses are ingrained in muscle memory forever at this point.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
Took turns with all my kids to help shoot at asteroids to get that damn Dead Space trophy. My oldest daughter finally did it! We were all pretty fucking annoyed about how hard it was.

Also took turns with all my kids to try that fucking training speedrun for the Titanfall 2 trophy, but this time we all failed. I fucking hate trophies like that!

"Play though the game without taking any damage"

I tried one of these ones once. After three attempts I actually didn't even like the game anymore.

giphy.gif

I like to get platinums if I'm really into the game, but all I can think when it comes to demanding achievements is turning down the game's audio and listening to podcasts while I grind them out, sorry

Last edited:

Pantz

1000/1000 in Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 on Xbox 360.

Me: Please accept this bikini as a gift, Kasumi <3
Kasumi: Hmm, no thanks. That's not my style.
*quits to dashboard, reloads game*
Kasumi: Hmm, no thanks. That's not my style.
*quits to dashboard, reloads game*
(...times god knows how many...)
Kasumi: Oh I love it! Thank you!

There was no joy in this, just determination and madness.
More sad than crazy, I guess.
It's not even backwards compatible.

Areiz

Banned
What’s the craziest or most outrageous thing you’ve done to earn a pesky trophy or achievement?

Ive been going through my backlog and found one PS3 game that all I needed was some pesky multiplayer trophies to earn the platinum trophy. Problem is, I didn’t have the game anymore. No biggie, bought it digital so I could use both of my PS3s to boost and get them out of the way.

Well, turns out, you need 5...count em...5 players to play a matchmaking game to earn the trophies. No way to boost, or was there?

The game happened to be on PS Now, so, I signed up and logged in on one of my PS4s. All right, up to 3, just need 2 more players.

Logges in on my second PS4, and well, crap, my sub accounts can’t use my main’s PS now account. So I signed up my alt account on a 7 day trial. Ok, up to 4.

Created another sub account, another 7 day free trial, logged in on my PS5, and boom. 5 players.

Oh, and I only have two TVS, so lots of switching HDMI cables and switching inputs.

Trophies earned, only needed 5 systems, 3 TVS, and 3 subscriptions to PS now.

I need help.
I'm not a trophy hunter

mistakable

Neo Member
I think completing LOTR war in the North 7 times to get the plat was a bit mad. 6 times is all it takes but on our 5th playthrough it glitched on a quest so we to do that run again.

Great game though so well worth the playthroughs haha!!

I loved the collecting and achievement aspect of WoW back when playing it, and the one that was a massive pita was the bigger bag achievement on Timeless Isle.

V4skunk

Banned
A trophy for winning 3 races in a row with out having an accident in multiplayer on Projectcars1.
It took a long time because cunts always bumper car on the first corner.
I've only ever platinumed / 100% Bloodborne and Metroid Prime 1+2.

johntown

Banned
Getting Flawless Raider trophy in the original Destiny.

Getting a group of people that could actually do The Vault of Glass raid without dying once took a long time. It never failed someone would always die on the jumping part. Man it was so nerve racking when you got there too which made people second guess themselves.

Last edited:

Velcro Fly

Not really an achievement but dragging my parents to the Pokemon Mall tour back in the day to get a legit Mew. Also bought a used GameBoy to trade with myself to catch em' all. Pretty sure I mowed lawns for a couple weeks to save up the $40 or whatever it was to buy a used one at Funcoland. That and a link cable and I could trade myself all the trade evolutions or version exclusives my little heart desired.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Not really an achievement but dragging my parents to the Pokemon Mall tour back in the day to get a legit Mew. Also bought a used GameBoy to trade with myself to catch em' all. Pretty sure I mowed lawns for a couple weeks to save up the $40 or whatever it was to buy a used one at Funcoland. That and a link cable and I could trade myself all the trade evolutions or version exclusives my little heart desired.
My dad took me to one of those mall tours but the line was so long when we got there, we decided not to wait and go home. A week later I went to Target and got a gameshark to get cheat my way to get a Mew.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Defiled dungeons in Bloodborne, especially wasting at least 5 hours of my life to best defiled Amigdala. I've tried different weapons, went to YouTube and tried different strategies and nothing worked. In the end, I defeated it, but I wouldn't do it again.

BTW that was my first From software game, first souls like game. I'm not sure why I ever persevered at the beginning when you couldn't level without getting to the first boss. I didn't know this. I also best the game without knowing that quitting the game means it saves at the exact same moment, so I always ran to the nearest lamp before quitting. There's no way I'd do all of that again.

Last edited:

TexMex

Nothing too egregious.

I put a rubber band in my controller and let the game run overnight to get enough travel time in both Darksiders and Rocket League.

Let run to get some settlement trophy in Fallout 4.

I paid a guy 1.99 on eBay to drop some boss souls for me in Dark Souls to save additional play throughs.

never mind maybe I am a retard.

tusharngf

i did 2 different runs for dark souls .. in those runs I went up to ng ++ and managed to get dark souls 100% achievement level.

CEuS3Rp.png

Somoza

Learned to make maps for source games and how to spawn bots on maps so i could unlock the achievement weapons fast making maps focused on said achievements (making enemies spawn on a closed box so i could torch them as pyro for example for hours and hours while a invisible resuply locker keept my ammo full so i couls leave it overnight for example)

JSoup

Banned
Attempting to plat Skyrim atm. Geez, what an ordeal this has been. I don't understand what does & does not constitute a side quest in this game.
Look up the main questlines, the names for those stories will persist through the entire questline.
Anything that's not part of those questlines (which would be anything you aren't directly pointed at when on them) is a side-quest.
Do Dark Brotherhood last so you don't end up killing off NPCs you need.

MrJTeera

F6NywMC.jpg

This one from the first Dead Rising.

You can only play this on Survival mode, since the main game only last 3 days. That means I have to survive for 14 real-time hours, meanwhile chmy health that’s constantly depleting due to hunger.

It’s not the resource management that’s hard, it’s the goddamn waiting until you’re at the last ounce of health to consume food, just so you can last long enough to Day 7.

Just watching one health block after another disappear, thinking of what I could be doing that’s better than this, but goddamnit I’m already on Day 5, and that would be 10 hours down the drain if I quit now.

One time, I was on Day 6 when I dozed off and forgot to press the Eat button. I woke up by the sound of Frank shrieking as he collapse to the floor. The result screen shows that I have 30 mins to go.

It was very tedious, but then again, it does put you in the mentality of a survivor stuck in a zombie infested mall.

GymWolf

Oh this is a good one, so there was this time when i was normally playing a game like i always do and a platinum trophy came out of nowhere after doing some stuff, crazy right?!

Finish Neptunia Re;birth2 eight fething times to get every ending.

Put on rubber band on my controller and let War ride in circles an entire day while I was at work to get that damn "ride a gazillion miles on your horse" achievement in Darksiders. Twice, because I did it again in the Warmastered Edition.

Top Bottom