• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crazy how good remote play works nowadays

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
At my in laws, my ps5 is at home.

Got my pixel 6 pro and gamesir x2, using the paid 3rd party ps play app which allows for 1080p, 60fps, HEVC, hdr etc. Plus with my xm4 earbuds.

And holy shit it's like I have a full on console experience in the palm of my hands. Just finished the chapter Deaths door of horizon forbidden west, fully and entirely on my phone. Everything felt so responsive and smooth, 1080p looks great, even the audio quality was insane. Never felt any lag or stuttering either, picture didn't break up.

Yeah this is the future lol

Loving how I essentially made my xsx and ps5 into switches lol. Now if only the Xbox had better quality, I believe that's only 720, and always feels a tad less reliable. But still works

Also, HUGE props to ps play, no idea how 1 person did such a better job than Sony

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
My PS5 is upstairs and it can't stay connected to the official remote play app on my iPad for more than a few minutes. I have a great wireless router. I must be doing it wrong.

Remote play worked amazing for me with my PS4, either to my laptop or my Vita as long as I had a decent connection, even wireless. But my PS5 remote play is absolutely terrible, even if I’m on the same wired network and I can’t figure out why. Remote play has quite a way to go still I think.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
My PS5 is upstairs and it can't stay connected to the official remote play app on my iPad for more than a few minutes. I have a great wireless router. I must be doing it wrong.
I got a gig for up down, and got my ps5 wired. I also have Google dns, and ports open, static ip, etc. Xbox does a better job at telling you all the requirements, and when I do a remote play test everything checks out as green. That's what you want.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Remote play worked amazing for me with my PS4, either to my laptop or my Vita as long as I had a decent connection, even wireless. But my PS5 remote play is absolutely terrible, even if I’m on the same wired network and I can’t figure out why. Remote play has quite a way to go still I think.
After playing 2 hours straight without issues, I felt like I was playing natively on a Playstation portable. I guess it depends on your set up, but if that's set, man is it good

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
wPQUxK0.jpg

reksveks

Do the same thing with my xbox and it's pretty great alternative to cloud streaming ( I use both personal cause I sometimes don't want to mess up quick resume).

P2P cloud streaming will be a bit of a gaming change if anyone can figure it out properly.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m a new PS5 owner, and I just can’t get remote play to work on my phone for longer than 30 seconds at a time. And during those 30 seconds, it’s crystal clear and perfect. Then it just drops connotation.

I play my Xbox series X and Xbox cloud gaming on this same phone and have zero issues.

My ps5 is connected directly to the router, has 300-750 download and 10-100 upload load.

My phone 5G connection is 700+ down and 100 up.

I really hope it’s just a software thing with the iOS 16.2 or the app itself. This is a huge deal for me. I play as much remotely on my Series X as I do on my tv. I would like to do the same with the PS5.

Quasicat

I do this with my Series X and it’s flawless over my local network. Even though the Xbox says it will work remotely from another location, in reality it doesn’t really work well. I could do this in PS5, but I keep it in a cabinet and don’t want to run it with the door shut.

I’m a new PS5 owner, and I just can’t get remote play to work on my phone for longer than 30 seconds at a time. And during those 30 seconds, it’s crystal clear and perfect. Then it just drops connotation.

I play my Xbox series X and Xbox cloud gaming on this same phone and have zero issues.

My ps5 is connected directly to the router, has 300-750 download and 10-100 upload load.

I really hope it’s just a software thing with the iOS 16.2 or the app itself. This is a huge deal for me. I play as much remotely on my Series X as I do on my tv. I would like to do the same with the PS5.

Have you tested with another device such as a laptop? Or tried lowering the resolution to 540p?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Have you tested with another device such as a laptop? Or tried lowering the resolution to 540p?
I did try lowering resolution/quality. Same thing. Runs perfectly fine for 30 seconds, then disconnects. Even if I’m just sitting at the os main menu, not moving the cursor.

I didn’t try a laptop, as I remote play only on my phone.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I did try lowering resolution/quality. Same thing. Runs perfectly fine for 30 seconds, then disconnects. Even if I’m just sitting at the os main menu, not moving the cursor.

I didn’t try a laptop, as I remote play only on my phone.
Use the psplay app, $5 well spent. I don't use the official app, in there I can use any device with my phone and works flawlessly

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I do this with my Series X and it’s flawless over my local network. Even though the Xbox says it will work remotely from another location, in reality it doesn’t really work well. I could do this in PS5, but I keep it in a cabinet and don’t want to run it with the door shut.
I find Xbox it's more about the forwarding of ports, I remember doing that and then it was a breeze

Mr Hyde

How far does the connection go of you use Psplay app? I tried remote play with the PS5 (and official app) and got terrible connection, even in my own flat. Would love a portable option for PS5 games.

Works great for me on iPad or Backbone. I have Eero pro mesh wifi. My issue is that you don't get the dualsense features through it. So if it's a dualsense heavy game, I don't really like using remote play.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Use the psplay app, $5 well spent. I don't use the official app, in there I can use any device with my phone and works flawlessly
Is that on Android? I don’t see it on the Apple App Store. I use the razed kishi now for my remote play/cloud gaming these days. The backbone has failed me.

Here’s Demon’s Souls on my phone, before it loses connection.

FkiDLvfUYAE1sm7

And here’s my razor kishi

FkiDH0SUUAAvbd0

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Is that on Android? I don’t see it on the Apple App Store. I use the razed kishi now for my remote play/cloud gaming these days. The backbone has failed me.

Here’s Demon’s Souls on my phone, before it loses connection.

FkiDLvfUYAE1sm7

And here’s my razor kishi

FkiDH0SUUAAvbd0
I only have android, it's there, not sure about Apple store

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Here is me at my in-laws while remote playing to my ps5 at home AND streaming at the same time lol. Still worked great. Had forgotten I had this clip

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I use remote gaming at least once a week. Works amazingly in my home with my Google Wifi network and mostly awesome when I'm out and about. This goes for my PS4 and Series X.

Have any of you tried playin games that require better reaction time? Maybe I’m sensitive but the input lag makes most games feel off, I can only imagine some genres being any good with remote play. RPGs, strategy, other slower games that don’t require precise timing.

Katajx

Gold Member
How do you get this to work consistently and reliably?

Most times I have tried it over Wi-Fi and the results have been mixed at best. A game would start. Maybe a few minutes in I get some lag and the quality deteriorates and then within 5 minutes the game crashes because the connection.

I’ve tried this being hardwired in and honesty I can barely notice a difference. I have gig download, but my upload is only like 30. I’ve been curious if that has been the issue or what it is like for other people.

Last edited:

yohan12

What version of wifi does your router support? I had issues until I got a wifi 6 router

Edit: I guess it also matters what version of wifi the device your streaming to supports

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I thought this would rely more on your LAN connection when on the same network but it seems to rely on internet speed?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What version of wifi does your router support? I had issues until I got a wifi 6 router

Edit: I guess it also matters what version of wifi the device your streaming to supports
My ps5 is connected directly to the router via Ethernet. 300-600 down, 100 up.

My iPhone 12 Pro max is 700+ down and and 100 up.

If I’m on the same network, it works beautifully. But once I leave the house, it craps the bad. While steam link, nvidia, Xbox and Xcloud all work beautifully away from home. This issue is only with the PS5. I even tried all the port forwarding some online have mentioned. No dice.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I forgot this was a thing and remembered and tried it out in the current year thanks to this topic. Cheers, OP.

Works decently enough in my house, and that's all the farther I'd ever go with it, anyway.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
How do you get this to work consistently and reliably?

Most times I have tried it over Wi-Fi and the results have been mixed at best. A game would start. Maybe a few minutes in I get some lag and the quality deteriorates and then within 5 minutes the game crashes because the connection.

I’ve tried this being hardwired in and honesty I can barely notice a difference. I have gig download, but my upload is only like 30. I’ve been curious if that has been the issue or what it is like for other people.
For me it is being hard wire and port forwarding on the router. On the Xbox side, it does a great job of doing a remote test, and basically it won't ever be fully reliable until every check box is green. For example I also had Xfinity and the upload wasn't it, when I switched to fiber, I got the correct upload speeds and it made a world of difference. Before I opened the ports, outbound/nat port was in red or yellow, it did not appear as "open", that also made a great difference.

You want this:

pt0XkLL.jpg

I would say the 3 biggest things are

Hard wired
Open ports
Upload speeds (downloads are easy to hit)

Oh I also use Google's DNS servers

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
My ps5 is connected directly to the router via Ethernet. 300-600 down, 100 up.

My iPhone 12 Pro max is 700+ down and and 100 up.

If I’m on the same network, it works beautifully. But once I leave the house, it craps the bad. While steam link, nvidia, Xbox and Xcloud all work beautifully away from home. This issue is only with the PS5. I even tried all the port forwarding some online have mentioned. No dice.
So strange, if you look above, you will see a YouTube video of me playing horizon forbidden west, via remote play on ps5, and I was at my in-laws and their WiFi isn't as good as the one I have at home. Also...I was using remote play AND streaming to YouTube, all through my phone.

Only difference I can think of, if you are already wired, with Google DNS, with open ports, and with good download/upload speeds, would be that I was using the ps play app, and not the one from sony

Ps: I also have a static IP

My results on ps5 side of things, doesn't tell as much. I have 1000 down and 1000 up, but it never shows as such
rWYsHKs.jpg

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
For me it is being hard wire and port forwarding on the router. On the Xbox side, it does a great job of doing a remote test, and basically it won't ever be fully reliable until every check box is green. For example I also had Xfinity and the upload wasn't it, when I switched to fiber, I got the correct upload speeds and it made a world of difference. Before I opened the ports, outbound/nat port was in red or yellow, it did not appear as "open", that also made a great difference.

You want this:

pt0XkLL.jpg

I would say the 3 biggest things are

Hard wired
Open ports
Upload speeds (downloads are easy to hit)

Oh I also use Google's DNS servers
Ah, yes. Streaming on gamepass actually works pretty great for me. It’s PS plus that does not.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I really want a Kishi or Backbone but I’m going to wait until I upgrade my phone in October. Got a lightning device right now but Apple and Android will both be USB C from next year.

Top Bottom