• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crime Boss: Rockay City | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
coop-fps--crime-boss-rockay-city-puts-the-organized-in-organized-crime-1248x720-15f7582c97e0.png

Game Information

Game Title
: Crime Boss: Rockay City

Platforms:

• PC (Mar 28, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jun 30, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jun 30, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Ingame Studios

Publisher: 505 Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 46 average - 17% recommended - 7 reviews

RNbllE9.jpg

Critic Reviews

Attack of the Fanboy - Noah Nelson - 3 / 5
Crime Boss: Rockay City's execution isn't revolutionary or exceptional, but its shot at an innovative roguelike campaign is a praiseworthy proof of concept. It might not have the most versatile activities, best gunplay, or first-class writing, but Crime Boss: Rockay City does provide an interesting experience that, like a cheap B-movie, has that certain kind of charm you can't help but enjoy.

Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 3 / 10
Crime Boss: Rockay City is proof that star power isn’t everything. In fact, it’s a reminder that a celebrity cast does nothing for a game when it’s void of anything interesting or fun to support it. When run-ending bugs appear, Crime Boss is miserable, but even when I’m running a mission bug-free, I lay witness to a painfully dull take on organized crime. At its best, Crime Boss functions – I can shoot weapons at enemies, empty bank vaults and warehouses for loot, watch cutscenes with recognizable faces and voices, and grow my empire – but it never captures my attention in a meaningful or memorable way. Instead, it pushes me further and further away, leaving me with no desire to ever return to Rockay City.

Inverse - Corey Plante - 6 / 10
Rockay City has something interesting in its novel campaign structure, and its modest price tag currently discounted to $31.99 makes it an outright bargain. But there’s not enough to appreciate that warrants anybody to stick around for more than a random night with some buddies. The whole project is clearly a loving homage to the glory days of ‘90s action flicks, but the tone-deaf execution misses the mark. But how long can that hold your attention for when your multiplayer game time is far better spent elsewhere?

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Alice Bell - Unscored
A sloppy, buggy Payday pretender whose USP of using 90s movie stars is probably the worst thing about it.

Screen Rant - Jason Hon - 2.5 / 5
The limited time to play the review build of Crime Boss: Rockay City felt unfinished and needed more gameplay activities and depth. With the game planned to be a live service experience, with more time, developer InGame Studios will hopefully add more features and gameplay mechanics to help the game stand out in the multiplayer shooter genre. There is fun to be had with a team of four friends completing missions together. Still, in its current state, Crime Boss: Rockay City feels like a low-level wannabe criminal trying to get rich quick on a street populated with multiplayer shooters who already do better.

Shacknews - Lucas White - 5 / 10
If the idea of playing a shooter crammed on top of a modern edition of Drug Wars, full of pseudo ironic stunt casting and roguelike gimmicks sounds like a good time, boy do I have a game for you. The only game for you, really. All snark aside I don’t think I’ve ever played a game quite like Crime Boss: Rockay City. It’s a massive swing and a big miss, with enough force to crack the sound barrier while the ball stays in the catcher’s mitt. It’s neither a cynical corporate cringe like Sharknado, nor is it a low-budget dud you’d expect to see a crew of robot puppets heckle. It’s weird, loud and uncanny. Frankly I’m surprised Christopher Walken didn’t show up.

TheGamer - Lex Luddy - 2 / 5
There’s very little you could get out of Crime Boss that you couldn’t get out of Payday 2 next time it comes around in a Steam sale. And besides, I think those masks that “are for pussies” are actually really cool.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's a funny clip of this game going around where a Twitch streamer accidentally shows boobs in the game because one of the female character model glitches out and loses her clothes.

i-e, even though you're never meant to see it, the designers crafted accurate titties on the female models.

Madonis

Maybe it'll come to Steam once the extended Epic store beta test is over? Anyway, it sounds like nothing of value was lost here.

Last edited:
I remember telling someone on here it was a trash Payday clone with big name actors and they told me it was the new GTA.

Eat it lol

The gameplay vid from a couple days ago was hilariously terrible.

Last edited:

digdug2

I remember telling someone on here it was a trash Payday clone with big name actors and they told me it was the new GTA.

Eat it lol

The gameplay vid from a couple days ago was hilariously terrible.

My god, that looks so incredibly shitty. I can't believe that they even allowed people to play it in that horrendous state, much less actually releasing it as a "finished" product.

SJRB

Gold Member
Even the review thread struggling to get to page 2.

That's how you know you have a banger on your hand.

The curse of the Epic exclusive.

Sent out to die, and judging by the reviews rightfully so.

I watched some Twitch streams and honestly it didn’t look that bad. Just aggressively mediocre.

havoc00

I’m still dumbfounded why they didn’t put this on game pass. How many copies do you think it sold on Xbox and ps5?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I’m still dumbfounded why they didn’t put this on game pass. How many copies do you think it sold on Xbox and ps5?
A better question would be: what is the player retention? There are literally like 2 people watching this game on Twitch now so I'm curious how this would perform on Steam Charts. Probably not so well.

Top Bottom