• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII REUNION |OT| So I can cut loose, right?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
bA4VUzG.jpg

ibfBIqB.jpg

cs7JXc7.jpg
FFlBXRO.jpg
ZYoVWDY.jpg

gnJCU0k.jpg
njDsXg0.jpg
LIpzls6.jpg
a8f3kAI.jpg
Jx9EUAs.jpg

FIyq2ox.jpg

RJGuRgK.jpg

YM748Vi.png

8ycb7Yd.png

IA2uKpJ.png

Game needed an OT so... it's something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: OT redesign, will update over time 👍

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Solid OT OP, nicely done.

I hope that people start commenting about how much fun they're having with the game. I'm honestly really surprised at the amount of poo pooing this game is receiving, it needs some modern-take push back.

It's a fun game, not sure what people are expecting from a remaster of a PSP game that released in 2007. People are acting like they were expecting FFXVI. Absurd.

I'm not getting it right now cause I have too many other games going but I'll definitely get it down the road. Much easier to play it on the PS5 than it is with getting out the PSP.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thanks for the OP! I mentioned this in another thread, but I am having a complete blast replaying this!

While not a complete remake it also isn't a basic remaster either.

I think the improvements they made here are great and really open this game up for non-die hard final fantasy fans. If folks expected the entire game to change (and why would you based on all the trailers for the game) that is on them.
The devs did a great job reusing assets from FF7R, adding a crap ton of QOL adjustments, and it runs great on PS5.

TGO

Solid OT OP, nicely done.

I hope that people start commenting about how much fun they're having with the game. I'm honestly really surprised at the amount of poo pooing this game is receiving, it needs some modern-take push back.

It's a fun game, not sure what people are expecting from a remaster of a PSP game that released in 2007. People are acting like they were expecting FFXVI. Absurd.

I'm not getting it right now cause I have too many other games going but I'll definitely get it down the road. Much easier to play it on the PS5 than it is with getting out the PSP.
Not sure why people would be dissing the game.
It was very beloved game and was stuck on the PSP for years, and now it's available for everyone and looks fantastic
they've done excellent work remastering it.
Just as ND did with TLOU...maybe more here.
So yeah not why people are down on it.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My copy just got delivered (Switch).

Looking forward to this, although I played through this on the Vita in early 2020 in anticipation of the Remake releasing. We'll see what wins out between this and the Front Mission 1st Remake I'm halfway through. Either way, it's nostalgia overload.

I'm really looking forward to revisiting my early teens with this. It's going to be emotional, both personally and for the story too.

As FFVII mad 18 year when this came out in 2008, I brought a PSP just to play this game. I remembered being resentful that they couldn't just make this a PS2 game and it would surely compliment it better, longing for a way to play this on my TV in a time prior to sophisticated emulation or a simple way to connect your PC to your TV yet. Ahh those were the days.

Gret soundtrack too, Takeharu Ishimoto's songs where simple to play on guitar and helped me learn the instrument when I started out too.

So many great personal memories thanks to this game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It doesn’t run flawlessly at 60 fps, but here’s hoping they can fix it on the Steam Deck. I made it a little past the prologue. It was sluggish at random times. Lowering the resolution makes it look slightly worse than a PSP game lol.

• Empathy
Reactions: TGO

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Great OT, I'm enjoying the game as expected since I enjoyed back when when first came out on PSP.

They really improved the visuals and and like the changes in how you attack and use magic compare to original PSP game.

• Strength
Reactions: TGO

Synless

Game is 100% a port of a psp game and it shows in game design. However it’s still a great 1:1 remake. I am having a blast playing through it again since original release.

Last edited:

TGO

Awesome OT!
Thanks, nothing too over the top just enough to get a OT started, I'll update it as I get time.
Wish I could do what you guys do with you gifs
But as I only have my phone, that's not gonna happen 😂

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Great OT.

This is on my docket after Lego SW and High on Life.

God bless them for at least AI upscaling the CGI cut-scenes.

rkofan87

Gold Member
i will get shit for this but i wish their was easy option as well as normal and hard

Last edited:
The graphics are kind of interesting in that there are a bunch of PS3/early PS4 level character models but the lighting and post-processing is fairly current gen. At the right angles it can actually look pretty good, especially since most of the environments are decent.

Shame the English VA is so bad though, it was great in the 7 Remake but I barely lasted a chapter before I had to switch to Japanese in this. I guess it doesn't help that so much of the dialog is generic anime schlock which almost never sounds good in English... though funny enough I don't care for a lot of the Japanese VA either, but at least it sounds well done.

I dunno what else to ramble on about, combat feels good and overall it's pretty fun to play this again.

The graphics are kind of interesting in that there are a bunch of PS3/early PS4 level character models but the lighting and post-processing is fairly current gen. At the right angles it can actually look pretty good, especially since most of the environments are decent.

Shame the English VA is so bad though, it was great in the 7 Remake but I barely lasted a chapter before I had to switch to Japanese in this. I guess it doesn't help that so much of the dialog is generic anime schlock which almost never sounds good in English... though funny enough I don't care for a lot of the Japanese VA either, but at least it sounds well done.

I dunno what else to ramble on about, combat feels good and overall it's pretty fun to play this again.
It's one of the reasons for me why the pre PS2 Final Fantasies are so memorable, the text only dialouge creates a protected impression in our minds of how great we want the story telling and dialogue to be and once the cheesy voice acting & anime grunts & gasps came along, it tainted a lot of serious and dramatic moments in the series.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's one of the reasons for me why the pre PS2 Final Fantasies are so memorable, the text only dialouge creates a protected impression in our minds of how great we want the story telling and dialogue to be and once the cheesy voice acting & anime grunts & gasps came along, it tainted a lot of serious and dramatic moments in the series.

I'll agree with this. I always played these characters in my head as more realistic. In their current incarnation, the voice work is probably the best it's ever been for the Compilation, but that's a low bar to clear, and it retains the problem of all the voice work just being TOO over the top. Too cartoony, I suppose. But there's always concessions to be made, and at least VIIR gave us the wonderful option of turning down voices. I may do that on my next run. Make It a reading playthrough, haha

So happy to be playing this again. I sold my PSP in 2010 so I was never able to play it again :(

Genesis bros rise up.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is one of the first games I've ever played where the pre-rendered cutscenes look worse than the gameplay segments :messenger_tears_of_joy:

i will get shit for this but i wish their was easy option as well as normal and hard
I had the same thought when I first started on the PSP version. However, normal mode is basically "easy mode". The game is extremely generous with items and powerups, limit breaks, etc.

wvnative

Can't play it for a couple weeks, some questions...

Was retry battle added like FF7R or is it back to the title screen for your ass?

Any chance there's at least an option to disable "Activating combat mode" and "Conflict resolved" voice lines?

soooo, I have it downloaded on PS5 but my wife just surprised me with the switch version. Deciding what version to start. I’m a huge FF fan but never played this so I’ll for sure do at least two play throughs.

I’m hearing the switch version runs great and will be nice to play on my lite when there’s downtime in the ICU.

jshackles

Does Switch portable have 60FPS?
Nope, just 30fps on the Switch

How is this on pc?
Excellent - 120fps mode, 4K resolution (if your graphics card can handle it). The best option overall if you have a decent PC.

soooo, I have it downloaded on PS5 but my wife just surprised me with the switch version. Deciding what version to start. I’m a huge FF fan but never played this so I’ll for sure do at least two play throughs.

I’m hearing the switch version runs great and will be nice to play on my lite when there’s downtime in the ICU.
The switch version indeed runs good (no noticeable frame drops), but it's limited to 30fps. The PS5 version runs at 4K / 60fps. So it's up to you to decide if the portability is worth the trade-off of a lower frame rate and resolution or if that matters to you.

Here's a handy performance guide:

cIPFat3.png

TGO

Nope, just 30fps on the Switch

Excellent - 120fps mode, 4K resolution (if your graphics card can handle it). The best option overall if you have a decent PC.

The switch version indeed runs good (no noticeable frame drops), but it's limited to 30fps. The PS5 version runs at 4K / 60fps. So it's up to you to decide if the portability is worth the trade-off of a lower frame rate and resolution or if that matters to you.

Here's a handy performance guide:

cIPFat3.png
Added to OP, thanks 👍

It’s still baffling to me that they didn’t add anything to tie this to Rebirth.

Are we sure there’s nothing? Given Nomura’s history, I’d think it’ll be hidden behind a Hard mode or behind completing the game 100%. Something I’m sure no reviewer would do. But once out on PC, hackers would find the answers in a few hours if it was the case.

To play this familar old game with new lighting & visuals is a wonderful experience indeed, but the game suffers from the same problem as the FFVIII Remaster. They use the CG cutscenes from the original game but of course the redesigned in game models aren't cohesive with them at all.

jshackles

Zack's new voice is growing on me

TGO

Was confused as even SE calls this an "HD Remaster", when it looks like most of the game has been remade.
Indeed, it's no FFVIIRemake but it looks close and has the look which is impressive

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
Can't play it for a couple weeks, some questions...

Was retry battle added like FF7R or is it back to the title screen for your ass?

Any chance there's at least an option to disable "Activating combat mode" and "Conflict resolved" voice lines?
retry battle is hear.

Neff

Enjoying this a lot. The PSP original was great, especially for the technology at the time, but this version simply feels a lot better to play and take in. And unless I'm mistaken, hard mode has been rebalanced to be a little more reasonable, since the original's hard mode was notoriously brutal and cheap. Here it feels like it should- it keeps you on your toes and demands that you put in work, but it's fair and rewarding as a result.

UnNamed

Banned
After seeing how amazing is the game on Switch, and considering FF7R is not an exclusive anymore, I wonder how many chances to see FF7R on Switch.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Having a blast, calling this a remaster is a disservice to how much work Square put into it, quite impressive all things considered.

Currently with Aerith, literally spent 3 hours last night doing nothing but Missions, got all 4 accessory slots unlocked and some powerful gear, pretty much been steamrolling through everything.

Rykan

After seeing how amazing is the game on Switch, and considering FF7R is not an exclusive anymore, I wonder how many chances to see FF7R on Switch.
Probably going to be Final Fantasy VII: Cloud edition.

Unrelated, but really surprised that the last gen versions don't run at 60. Like, really? PS4(pro) and Xboxone(X) can't run a glorified PSP game at 60? huh.

Last edited:
Was confused as even SE calls this an "HD Remaster", when it looks like most of the game has been remade.
What I like is that with the exception of the CG cutscenes, the game is clearly remodeled to match the visual consistency of FFVIIR and its environments.

Playing this on pc feels so damn good. Never imagined this game would be remastered.
Yup, it's very well optimised and feels like a dream running in 120fps in 4k.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Probably going to be Final Fantasy VII: Cloud edition.

Since its on switch they should make two versions, the other being Final Fantasy VII: Sephiroth edition, and you can swap exclusive party members with the other version.

Top Bottom