• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII REUNION |OT| So I can cut loose, right?

jm89

Oh look it's genesis quoting loveless again

200w.gif

SCB3

I should start this, I bought it on release and remember nothing of the PSP game despite owning it, so this will be fun

Exentryk

I am still in chapter 4 but I keep just doing more and more missions. It's just really addicting to see how far you can go. I've even got an adaman bangle that breaks hp limit, so yeah the main story is certainly not going to be a challenge.

But yeah, I'm just really enjoying this meta game of doing missions early.

wvnative

What does everyones materia and equipment look like around chapter 8? I'm stuck on a boss that feels IMPOSSIBLE. I'm on hard mode

SkylineRKR

What does everyones materia and equipment look like around chapter 8? I'm stuck on a boss that feels IMPOSSIBLE. I'm on hard mode

I am at the start of 7 but I have something like Dark Firaga mastered, Curaga, Attack up+ with 11 attack base, Blizzara Blade, Thundaga blade. Barrier master, HP up + with 240%. I think you just need to fuse stuff to get higher MP/AP/ATK/VIT/SPR on those materia. I have 60 att and 6k HP. And 3 accessory slots from missions is a must. Bosses still feel like sponges at times, while normal enemies are cake.

EDIT: So I did a dozen of side missions, made Death Blade and put 280% HP++ on it. STR is 75 now. Its just all about doing missions, finding materia, fuse them for the passive stat boosts. The biggest pain is mastering materia, the moogle summon never comes up. Perhaps you can sit out the slot reels.

Last edited:

Lethal01

The voice acting and dialogue in this remake is now 10x better due to the fact you can switch to Japanese in the menu.

Last edited:

wvnative

I am at the start of 7 but I have something like Dark Firaga mastered, Curaga, Attack up+ with 11 attack base, Blizzara Blade, Thundaga blade. Barrier master, HP up + with 240%. I think you just need to fuse stuff to get higher MP/AP/ATK/VIT/SPR on those materia. I have 60 att and 6k HP. And 3 accessory slots from missions is a must. Bosses still feel like sponges at times, while normal enemies are cake.

EDIT: So I did a dozen of side missions, made Death Blade and put 280% HP++ on it. STR is 75 now. Its just all about doing missions, finding materia, fuse them for the passive stat boosts. The biggest pain is mastering materia, the moogle summon never comes up. Perhaps you can sit out the slot reels.
i think I have neglected the stat boost materia, i'll try to focus on that.

Synless

You can literally just run in circles in a fight and level up your materia pretty quick.

alternatively, if you have the fairy ring you can just pick the first mission in the game, kill all but one soldier and leave it running for a few hours/overnight and boom, leveled up everything.

Deerock71

Kind of a shame Switch can't handle this game as well as the othrr systems as its literally perfectly matched for it. Love the short reused asset side missions, you get decent rewards from them.
DF was quite complimentary of the Switch version, frame pacing aside. Sounds like another game Squenix gave the Neir: Automata treatment on the Switch to, which is a superb effort.

wvnative

Ugh i tried maxing out stat boost materia to fuse it with my magic/command materia but it just results in a new stat materia. This part of the game has deflated me...

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Ugh i tried maxing out stat boost materia to fuse it with my magic/command materia but it just results in a new stat materia. This part of the game has deflated me...

A lot of stronger combos only take effect with a mastered Materia in Fusion, if that helps at all. Fusing with a level 1 Blizzard versus a mastered one will get you two different materia, as an example.

I think the FMVs in Type 0 had the same problem as CC for me. In so far as the resolution was lower and the colors were muted.
Even in the original release, the pre-rendered cutscenes in Type-0 seem to have a bunch of filters and effects, so that’s probably what leads to the more muted colors.

With Crisis Core, though, the artifacting for me is super apparent, the characters have weird outlines, the hair looks stringy, there’s some sort of smoothing filter that seems inconsistent, and to top it all off, there’s stuttering.

Idk I just wish they did a much better job with upscaling them.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Even in the original release, the pre-rendered cutscenes in Type-0 seem to have a bunch of filters and effects, so that’s probably what leads to the more muted colors.

With Crisis Core, though, the artifacting for me is super apparent, the characters have weird outlines, the hair looks stringy, there’s some sort of smoothing filter that seems inconsistent, and to top it all off, there’s stuttering.

Idk I just wish they did a much better job with upscaling them.

Yeah, I could see those issues, too. I guess they've been blunted a bit for me, as I've Done all of my replays of OG CC on an emulator for years and years now, and I'm the type that prefers convenience to visuals, so I'd stream that shit straight on to my living room TV. When you got a rig like that, you become very familiar with sacrifice to visual fidelity and stuff. Granted, expecting the same from a PS5 release is a bit kooky, so I feel you.

Neff

i think I have neglected the stat boost materia, i'll try to focus on that.

Stat boosting is essential on hard mode.

I tend to favour MAG, VIT and SPR. ATK isn't very useful once you get Costly Punch, and I like to have a pair of magic Materia (usually Quake and an elemental for flying foes), both with high MAG.

Also make a 999% HP Curaga asap and thank me later.

Deerock71

Well shit. I heard this ran pretty solid on the Switch at 720-ish-p (don't give 2 shits about frame pacing or dips under 30 fps here or there), so I nabbed a physical that'll be here next week. An action RPG sounds way more appealing than an RPG that involves RANDOM FUCKING BATTLES (which I loathe).

I hope this will help me appreciate other folks' love for the series.

jm89

An action RPG sounds way more appealing than an RPG that involves RANDOM FUCKING BATTLES (which I loathe).

Hate to say it but alot of the battles are random. Enemies aren't always visible and will randomly enter a battle with you as you move around a level.

Last edited:

Synless

Well shit. I heard this ran pretty solid on the Switch at 720-ish-p (don't give 2 shits about frame pacing or dips under 30 fps here or there), so I nabbed a physical that'll be here next week. An action RPG sounds way more appealing than an RPG that involves RANDOM FUCKING BATTLES (which I loathe).

I hope this will help me appreciate other folks' love for the series.
100% random battles.

SkylineRKR

You can literally just run in circles in a fight and level up your materia pretty quick.

alternatively, if you have the fairy ring you can just pick the first mission in the game, kill all but one soldier and leave it running for a few hours/overnight and boom, leveled up everything.

Yeah i am actually doing that now. The final soldier cant kill me. I also had a moogle yesterday, it maxed my Hell spells instantly lol. I don't have fairy ring but the soldier hits for 3HP and I have 9999.

Synless

No, enemies spawn in set spots. And most fights can be skipped by hugging the walls.
In a literal sense, correct… they are preset. Most people would just consider them random battles through. You can’t see them, they trigger in every ”open” area of a corridor. Hugging the wall doesn’t make that sound any better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So, is there any point to buster sword proficiency? It builds at a snails pace. I get like 0.02% for each enemy killed while in sword stance. I'm up to like 7% proficiency, but I doubt I'll bother raising it much higher than that unless there is some sort of juicy prize for doing so.

Exentryk

So I'm still in the chapter 4 and now have also broken the damage break limit using the Brutal accessory. I can also fuse Costly Punch and have access to the 9 series missions as well. To be honest, I'm pretty sure I can go ahead and beat the optional boss Minerva if I wanted to. But then the rest of the game will feel quite meaningless as there wouldn't be anything challenging to look forward to. So I might take my time with her and perhaps progress the story a little more.

SkylineRKR

Hard mode is weird. I could get through all chapters without break limits. But the final boss is impossible or takes ages to beat, same goes for the Behemoth. I didn't feel like doing a few dozen missions just to get those items so I dialed back to Normal and beat the final boss within a minute. I didn't save the clear data so maybe one day I back and wrap up all missions.

Its a fun game, but way too many useless cutscenes interrupting the game. I liked the Shinra Mansion chapter. It goes into detail. Its baffling though that the cutscene with Cloud and Zack escaping was optional in the original FFVII. Its extremely important. But perhaps they wanted to show you the truth about Cloud by chance.

Genesis is terrible.

peronmls

Hard mode is weird. I could get through all chapters without break limits. But the final boss is impossible or takes ages to beat, same goes for the Behemoth. I didn't feel like doing a few dozen missions just to get those items so I dialed back to Normal and beat the final boss within a minute. I didn't save the clear data so maybe one day I back and wrap up all missions.

Its a fun game, but way too many useless cutscenes interrupting the game. I liked the Shinra Mansion chapter. It goes into detail. Its baffling though that the cutscene with Cloud and Zack escaping was optional in the original FFVII. Its extremely important. But perhaps they wanted to show you the truth about Cloud by chance.

Genesis is terrible.
I beat it on hard. You have to find the right moves for some of the bosses. Energy works well on Behemoths

SkylineRKR

So, is there any point to buster sword proficiency? It builds at a snails pace. I get like 0.02% for each enemy killed while in sword stance. I'm up to like 7% proficiency, but I doubt I'll bother raising it much higher than that unless there is some sort of juicy prize for doing so.

23% breaks damage limit in sword stance. 47% ignores barriers.

So 23% might be worth it to grind towards, though its probably quicker to clear missions towards the Genji gloves or Brutal. I am at 12% something and I did fight a lot in sword stance.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So I never played the psp version even though I owned a psp. 😵‍💫

This is basically a battle game. Was really easy. Good distraction but the worry is not even close to the launch price.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Fuck missable trophies.

For real, I whiffed the Banora mini games super hard (like usual) and the game doesn't even give you the chance to attempt it again. I make a save at the end of every chapter, so I guess I'll just clean the easy missables after I finish, but man. Hard agree.

Is it me or the game run like crap? I have 5600x and 3080 and i play it on my 4k tv and it sure doesn;lt felt like 60fps. Movement is also sluggish... is it due to the psp origin?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it me or the game run like crap? I have 5600x and 3080 and i play it on my 4k tv and it sure doesn;lt felt like 60fps. Movement is also sluggish... is it due to the psp origin?
I have a 3060 and played it at 3440x1440 and held a solid 120fps the whole time. Something feels off if you're not able to keep 60fps at 4k.

The movement is pretty sluggish though - sometimes it feels like you're walking through sludge. That is definitely a PSP holdover. But you shouldn't have any frame rate issues on that type of setup.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

A lot comes down to the fact that it WAS a PSP game, and the controls were initially based around a d-pad/analogue nub thing. I'm amazed they got it as fine tuned as they did. In the PSP version, even walking was basically impossible.

Exentryk

Hey guys am I overleveled for Chapter 4? I’m Level 54 with 33,000 HP and I do around 92,000 damage with Costly Punch
I'm around level 67 with 97k HP and 99k Costly Punch damage, also in chapter 4 near Aerith. All the open missions are now done (Mission Completion = 60%) except the Minerva mission, which I want to save till the end of the game.

So I guess I've pretty much finished the main game that is the missions. Now I can play the side game which is get on with the story, lol.

...takes ages to beat, same goes for the Behemoth.
Use Electrocute for Behemoth as it hits multiple times due to Behemoth's size. Energy is also good, but Electrocute has more base power so requires less setup to buff damage.

I'm around level 67 with 97k HP and 99k Costly Punch damage, also in chapter 4 near Aerith. All the open missions are now done (Mission Completion = 60%) except the Minerva mission, which I want to save till the end of the game.

So I guess I've pretty much finished the main game that is the missions. Now I can play the side game which is get on with the story, lol.

Use Electrocute for Behemoth as it hits multiple times due to Behemoth's size. Energy is also good, but Electrocute has more base power so requires less setup to buff damage.
Well damn!!

Honestly half the reason why I ended up doing so many missions/leveling is because Chapter 4 is so painfully boring lol

Exentryk

Well damn!!

Honestly half the reason why I ended up doing so many missions/leveling is because Chapter 4 is so painfully boring lol
My head cannon for Crisis Core is that Zack is a Soldier and his life is to beat missions day in day out and get strong enough to eventually beat a God (Minerva) at the end. The side characters like Angeal, Genesis, Sephiroth, etc have their own stories, but the main story is the missions and Minerva, lol.

Fuz

Banned
Completed the game. Stream of consciousness, don't care for formatting or giving it any consistency, too lazy and tired right now, take it as it is.
Enjoyed the game in its semplicity quite a lot. It's fun, it's a good game that shows sign of aging but I do like that era. I completely missed a row of missions and no idea how to unlock them, but no intention of replaying it just to see a few things/magics that I missed. Never engaged in materia fusion, way too annoying, cumbersome and convoluted for no reason. Buster Sword level up is laughable. Combat is kind of decent, but just spam firaga and hope to win the lottery for a limit break. RNG is shit.
Leveling up materia is crap. The game is way too small for all the materia combinations and having to level them up in the end is just pointless and I ended up never using any combo I liked because I was leveling them up BECAUSE - then bam! the game ended. Surprised on how short the game is.
Zack and Cissnei are pretty good and likeable, but the rest of the cast OH GOD WHY. "Angeal", "Genesis"; Already the names are so fucking stupid and the writing is so fucking bad and cringe, Genesis being the worst offender, constantly citing fictional quotes as they were smart or witty... maybe the worst writing for a FF character ever? And he even has fans (quite some people in DFFOO subreddit asking for him to be added to the game, I hope they aren't older than 16). Angeal acts so fucking random and his face ends up everywhere because adding cells to a subject apparently make extra faces spawn on them (SCIENCE!). Oh, and Aerith really seems to have mental issues here.
You get a wing, you get a wing, EVERYBODY GETS A WING! Everyone is a pigeon and loses feathers constantly - should have been bald pigeons in no time. Their cellular degradation shows... on their clothes (lol). Is there a limit to FF trope stupidity? Trying to replicate Sephiroth's popularity ends up only in cringe. Hollander, an overweight scientist, running away from a superhuman trained soldier VERY SLOWLY is just too much.
Great ending, but overdone and they should have stopped before the STUPID came in (just let him die and NOT talk after and see angeals and shit).
Anyway, yeah, good game and excellent remaster. Lots of options for customization, runs flawlessly. This is how it's done. Props to Square.

Last edited:
Top Bottom