• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (PS5, XSX, PC) & Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Announced(PS5)

YukiOnna

I haven't seen others online talking about this, but doesn't this naming scheme seem unusual?

Does anyone else expect that this Crisis Core remake is going to join in on the timeline/fate wonkiness and remix the story from the original CC? The fact that this is looking more like a full remake rather than a remaster adds to my suspicion that this is the case. I suspect and hope that whatever changes to the Cloud/Zach story happen in Rebirth is going to trickle over to CC Reunion, linking them into a new FF7 universe.
Think only the ending needs to be different in this case.

think I got it but don't understand why crisis core is on everything.
I don't think that's all that there's to it, but I believe Crisis Core is outsourced.

I think that makes it easier to pledge such a wide range of platforms for Square-Enix, because they're not the ones being spread thin for it to happen.
Not sure how people still don't know what the difference between remaster and remake is. This game was obviously built from the ground up. It appears to be a 1:1 remake of the original, or very close to it, but all the same it's still a remake.
Demon souls ps5 remade all the assets. But it isn't a remake. OoT 3D changed all the 3D models in the game and remade everything with more polygons, still not a remake. And so on. You can "remaster" everything and if you ask me that's not inferior to remake, specially if the original game is good.

People know the difference, we're just not sure that they remade everything without using the original game code as a base and went nuts updating it.
I'd like to one day like to play a multiplatform game that isn't held back by the equivalent of 10 year old hardware. One can dream.
I doubt that. I think it's coming to switch because the graphical fidelity they're targeting is doable on it, not the other way around.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't understand why they used AI upscaled FMV when the redone the scene in real-time in FFVIIR.
I'm not saying it should of been real-time because there is a graphical difference and the Switch wouldn't handle it but they could have used video of the FFVIIR version.

Synless

I don't understand why they used AI upscaled FMV when the redone the scene in real-time in FFVIIR.
I'm not saying it should of been real-time because there is a graphical difference and the Switch wouldn't handle it but they could have used video of the FFVIIR version.
What’s more odd is they made some changes to it. The swords are clearly different. My hot take, they are going to change the ending to match Remakes.

6tggSsa.jpg

Last edited:

Killer8

I'd like to see more mid-budget remakes of PSP games like this. Yeah, of course it does not have the same standards as a full blown next-gen project, but it looks like a decent upgrade. It avoids both the 'PSP just literally in higher res' look, as well as being far more tasteful than the 'PSP with tons of ugly filters slapped on it' look that Type-O HD had.

Labadal

I don't think the reception to this will be great. It has the same "issue" as Type-0 had, as in the game is first and foremost a game designed for a portable system. The missions, and the relatively small levels won't be liked by a lot of people.

While I finished, and enjoyed Crisis Core, it needs an overhaul for me to replay it on a big screen.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't think that's all that there's to it, but I believe Crisis Core is outsourced.

I think that makes it easier to pledge such a wide range of platforms for Square-Enix, because they're not the ones being spread thin for it to happen.

Demon souls ps5 remade all the assets. But it isn't a remake. OoT 3D changed all the 3D models in the game and remade everything with more polygons, still not a remake. And so on. You can "remaster" everything and if you ask me that's not inferior to remake, specially if the original game is good.

People know the difference, we're just not sure that they remade everything without using the original game code as a base and went nuts updating it.

I doubt that. I think it's coming to switch because the graphical fidelity they're targeting is doable on it, not the other way around.
Hold up
Demon's Souls on PS5 is most definitely a full-on remake.
"remade all the assets" = remake
A remaster would be porting to a new system and just doing smaller stuff like better textures, higher resolution, and maybe a few UI updates

kiphalfton

Hold up
Demon's Souls on PS5 is most definitely a full-on remake.
"remade all the assets" = remake
A remaster would be porting to a new system and just doing smaller stuff like better textures, higher resolution, and maybe a few UI updates

Yep. Just looking at Blue Point.

Remake:
- Demon Souls
- Shadow of the Colossus

Remaster:
- Uncharted Collection
- Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
- Metal Gear Collection

SkylineRKR

Its Square, so this will def. be full price.

But I'm in. CC wasn't even that great on PSP, it wasn't bad either but the very simple level design just very boring. I guess it pushed the PSP. Still this game was essentially lost to time, not playable on Vita even (not legally anyway). CC was still better than Trash 0 and I saw that one through on PS4 lol.

Fret Runner

Just my random ass speculation on what they might do with Crisis Core and some Rebirth brain leakage.
I think they will expand on that one mission where you fight the Superboss Minerva and have the FF7R ending hidden behind beating her. that way, you get two birds with one stone, the iconic sad ending and the FF7R hopeful ending when you go back an beat her then replay the last mission. They could even tie it into the story with beating her, since she is the Will/consciousness of the Lifestream/planet so it could be tied to the whispers and Zack not dying.

I do think Minerva will play apart in this story but good god do I hope it's not like that 4Chan plot leak (more likely guess work). If i see shelke in a trailer though then I am abandoning this ship and taking my chances on the iceberg.....who am I kidding, ain't no getting off this train, even if it starts derailing.

Also, Rebirth related, we should also remember that Minerva also has white feathers on her armour and would probably be involved to find out what happened to the Will of the planet an shit. So the white feather might be a red herring so everyone thinks Angeal. Also, when Cloud is seemingly speaking to Zack, I'm betting it's through the flowers. Remember that random scene with Aerith where she says before the flowers can talk there's a final step that has to be taken? I'm guessing she means the creation of the Zack world/timeline/dreamworld/whateverthefuck.

part three title, and hear me out with this one.
Final Fantasy 7: Freedom.
Anyway, that's my fan theory bullocks vented. :geek:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm well aware tons is changed, But the fact that Crisis Core started on PSP means nothing of how far they could push it.
My guess is Crisis Core Reunion is much smaller project compare to FFVIIR, especially the fact most team is gonna be busy with FFVIIRebirth and FFXVI.

Last edited:

gundalf

Yep, its likely a weird remaster/remake hybrid thingy where just like in the GTA Trilogy, you run the old code in a sandbox inside Unreal Engine while reaping the graphical benefits (PBR Rendering, Lighting, VFX, multi-plat for free, etc.).

reksveks

Re Rebirth, apparently you will start the game at lvl 30 with a set of unlocked skills and levelled up materia.

I am okay with that but thoughts?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone else see the Ever Crisis announcement?

Looks like they are doing a "true" remake of FFVII but from what I can tell they're turning it into some kind of mobile gatcha??

Hopefully this also gets a full console / PC release. Cause the original FF7 isn't exactly fun or flattering to revisit now. A modern-ish looking 1 : 1 version that's a lot more faithful to it than the Remake trilogy would also be appreciated to have.

It's sad that FF7 remake doesn't have Ultrawide support in 2022. The pc settings are non-existent. I really hope they do a proper port for crisis core and the next two FF7

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Anyone else see the Ever Crisis announcement?

Looks like they are doing a "true" remake of FFVII but from what I can tell they're turning it into some kind of mobile gatcha??

I swear someone is wishing on a monkey’s paw.

“I wish Square Enix would make Final Fantasy VII Remake” - they make a game titled “Final Fantasy VII Remake” that isn’t actually a remake and takes place entirely in Midgar

“No, I wish they’d make a true 1:1 remake of the entire FF VII story” - they make a true remake but it’s a F2P episodic mobile gacha game.

Ok we got a couple wishes left. Anybody wanna give it another shot?

Lethal01

“I wish Square Enix would make Final Fantasy VII Remake” - they make a game titled “Final Fantasy VII Remake” that isn’t actually a remake and takes place entirely in Midgar

“No, I wish they’d make a true 1:1 remake of the entire FF VII story” - they make a true remake but it’s a F2P episodic mobile gacha game.

No need, both are great.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Final fantasy 1-6 not on modern consoles is an issue. Now we finally get final fantasy 7 remake after years of big hype and we get it in three parts over multiple years? Ff7 is very important to psone’s history, and is the equivalent of ocarina of time for Sony.

Akt

Banned
Why?

There are franchises in this world that aren't going anywhere, and why should FF7, or any other FF for that matter, that so many people love, be any different?

The industry is filled with talented people, and even if it isn't about Cloud, and his friends, to make a great game connected to FF7 wouldn't be impossible.

Years ago I was hearing that Dirge of Cerberus is the second coming of FF satan, but when I tried it myself, while not the greatest masterpiece ever, at the very least it was fine, interesting, and fun enough.

Yep. Just looking at Blue Point.

Remake:
- Demon Souls
- Shadow of the Colossus

Remaster:
- Uncharted Collection
- Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
- Metal Gear Collection
Even if that's how they classify it, and I understand why they do; it's simply not technically true.

technical director Peter Dalton also added that the [Shadow of the Colossus] remake will rely largely on the original code of game: "It's a balancing act of which systems do we keep from the original game and which systems do we replace. When it comes to rendering systems those are completely Bluepoint customized technology pieces. When it comes to animations, there are whole new animation systems underneath the hood, but at the game level it's still the original game code that's running."
Source: https://www.gamereactor.eu/shadow-of-the-colossus-remake-uses-original-game-code/

They basically remade every asset and overrode the original game Graphics Rendering pipeline, but they sure didn't remake the game. It's still the same game, hence, it is technically a remaster. Just a very good one.

In most cases I would prefer a good remaster over a remake, specially if the game is really good. It just so happens that most remasters are quite half assed.
Yep, its likely a weird remaster/remake hybrid thingy where just like in the GTA Trilogy, you run the old code in a sandbox inside Unreal Engine while reaping the graphical benefits (PBR Rendering, Lighting, VFX, multi-plat for free, etc.).
I'm not sure, from what I've read and looked at, they mostly copy pasted assets from Renderware into Unreal Engine 4 and batch converted everything they could which lead to the disaster we ultimately got.

The thing they say they ported over was the Physics:
"we essentially lifted the physics game code and ported that into Unreal verbatim. If any individual wants to point out this feels different, I will very happily tell them they are wrong because it’s the same exact game code"
Source: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/11/gta-trilogy-remaster-interview-rockstar-games

But it's not like the game runs Renderware and Unreal or kept much of it's innerworkings intact.

Nightdive Studios and Bluepoint, perhaps other specialized studios, have a different workflow, they have an engine that works alongside the original code that takes care of the graphics rendering front-end and whatever is needed, leaving everything else the same as it was. This is designed to be game/engine agnostic which brings a lot of versatility to the mix.

I'm not sure they are using UE4 on this game. Even though it is supported... The Switch is quite crap running it. Nothing that I've seen here screams UE4 to me.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

what-a-time-to-be-alive-simpsons.gif

anthony2690

Banned
revive-un-dies.gif

I'll just bump this thread as it's probably not worth making a post for.

JlKO2sK.png
47dH5a3.png

But I finished Final Fantasy 7 Crises Core Reunion today 100% and loved it, I couldn't put the damn game down, despite how repetitive some of side missions get as there is 300 off them, but they only last a minute or so each.

Frustration getting my final DMV to 100% to get my Genjin armour, what made me slap around end game, once I got it and the rest of the genji gear.

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/ZHVGUG39Y7

Smacking some fool prior to getting my Genji Armour :D

Literally bullying end game bosses 🤣

Then Minerva came along, and after about 30 odd retries and googling that I can steal 99 phoenix downs from her, she went from impossible, to possible. :D (I never did this boss back in the day on psp)

Still had a few frustrating wipes where she was low hp, and she took me out before I could use a phonenix down.

But I loved my time with the game overall, and the ending :(

I'd probably happily buy more remakes off handheld games I like if they get this much effort put into them, I went away really happy with it :)

I can imagine those that haven't played it before or have no nostalgia for it, might not enjoy it too much though.

Now do I finally start persona 5? 🤔

Last edited:
Top Bottom