• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Gen is Dying

With news of DLC for Horizon and Cyberpunk being "next-gen/current gen" exclusive and that the previous generation won't get support, I think we're nearing the end of cross-gen support for at least non-annual release games.

Both of these games would have started in a next-gen cycle and all of the talks about last-gen not holding things back are pretty easily refutable here. It's at least not worth the time to develop for with sales drying up, but the funny thing is these games have baked in userbases of their own, normally a company would want to continue supporting that, but that's one of the benefits of forward compatibility. People can continue these games on current-gen consoles. Which makes decision's like Atlus' on Persona 5 even more craven and disappointing.

Let's rejoice the end of the PS4/X1 era. It was fun while it lasted but it's time.

hussar16

With news of DLC for Horizon and Cyberpunk being "next-gen/current gen" exclusive and that the previous generation won't get support, I think we're nearing the end of cross-gen support for at least non-annual release games.

Both of these games would have started in a next-gen cycle and all of the talks about last-gen not holding things back are pretty easily refutable here. It's at least not worth the time to develop for with sales drying up, but the funny thing is these games have baked in userbases of their own, normally a company would want to continue supporting that, but that's one of the benefits of forward compatibility. People can continue these games on current-gen consoles. Which makes decision's like Atlus' on Persona 5 even more craven and disappointing.

Let's rejoice the end of the PS4/X1 era. It was fun while it lasted but it's time.
Might be dying but series s is holding this gen down.every deleoper has to downsacle the engine to run on series s

Makes this because of two games DLC.

Still too many games confirmed coming out that are cross-gen. Maybe spring 2023 it will finally shift.

It doesn't matter that they're DLC, if anything that proves the point further.

#1 They're later in the dev cycle than brand-new games. -- that tells us that games made after a certain point are going to very likely focus on current-gen.
#2 They already have built-in audience on last-gen that they're waving goodbye to on purpose to focus on creating better content. -- That's significant.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't care about cross-gen actually, games look good enough to me... What makes me excited about new tech is that it should improve development speed for some or most devs out there, since they shouldn't be worrying about making many LOD versions per object or to bake lighting and whatever.

Might be dying but series s is holding this gen down.every deleoper has to downsacle the engine to run on series s
The only things downscaling are PS5 and XSX resolution and that's because they're weak enough on their own lol

hussar16

I don't care about cross-gen actually, games look good enough to me... What makes me excited about new tech is that it should improve development speed for some or most devs out there, since they shouldn't be worrying about making many LOD versions per object or to bake lighting and whatever.

The only things downscaling are PS5 and XSX resolution and that's because they're weak enough on their own lol
U have to take into account t less shaders less lighting less power .games are made to the lowest dominator for performance so really the games are made for series s

Kataploom

Gold Member
U have to take into account t less shaders less lighting less power .games are made to the lowest dominator for performance so really the games are made for series s
Sure, all that is ez to scale down change variable values. That's why I'm excited to see current Fornite stuff on most games, it will speed up game dev and it will be even better than before with traditional pipelines, since now all consoles share same architecture and most they have to do is downsample or remove graphical features

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
rbmjohvodee41.png

sendit

Nah...Armored Core Jeep Wrangler Rubicon edition just revived cross gen.

Last edited:
Knee jerk reaction day between this and "Dlc is the new sequel derrrrrr" lol. It was just a game awards show and a few trailers, history wasn't rewritten cause of it sheesh.

That's really not the case. CPU is the same, RAM pool is not that small and providing you target 1080p there is actual parity, ignoring RT which is hard to do on the high-end consoles because they're already weak at it.

It has ONE real bottleneck (ram pool bandwidth, and still nowhere near as bad as Xbox One was throughout it's lifecycle against PS4), and it's better served if you lower the quality of your assets for it and it helps mitigate the aforementioned bottleneck and fit better into the 10 GB RAM ballpark. That's it. PC games have done it (lower quality textures for mid-tier hardware) for decades now... And no one complained.

The developers complaining either have engines and game structures that are not versatile enough (meaning their games are not running as they should on PS5 and Xbox SX either), don't have resources (indie devs) or, are lazy. Lazy is a generalization, they might not know how to do better, but really, Xbox Series S is not really an issue, nor is it closer to last gen than current gen. It is a current gen 1080p console through and through.
The moment you add "more resolution" to the mix, things scale up. You need 4 times the power to double the resolution conventionally (1080p fits 4 times into a 4K/2160p image after all). Shaders and "lightning", "POWER!!" you mention are floating point bound so they scale up and down the same way.

Granted a lot of games on PS5/SX are not doing 2160p because of how intensive that is, but no matter how much you add things up, Series S isn't that much of an issue. You can't blame it for running a "current gen" 1440p60 PS5 game at 1080p30, but do you actually think it's bottlenecking the PS5? no, PS5 is bottlenecked already if it's running it at 1440p to achieve 60 fps. That or the game isn't optimized enough. Series S just has to make further concessions, but don't think for a second that it is lead platform. They'll run the damn game at 720p if they have to (which they did with matrix revelations, albeit with frame reconstruction; PS5/XSX also nowhere near 2160p on that one).

Series S power is not 1/4 of the more powerful consoles so it's not really underpowered against them providing you scale things up- remember it's meant to do 4 times less resolution than it's more powerful siblings. 4tflops x4=16 TFlops. PS5/XSX are in the 10 TFlop ballpark you could say that Microsoft was generous with the spec they went with.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS3 games were still being sold when ps4 was out so new consoles come in and want all the glory.

Last edited:
Yep two years seems to be the time when things start shifting. I expect it to take a little longer this Gen because of Covid and the subsequent supply issues, but it’s starting to happen. I fully expect store fronts around the world to be stocked with both consoles by March or so too.

nial

Gold Member
Just like always 2 years and then it's 90% next gen only.
Huh? It wasn't like that last gen. In 2015 you only had MGSV, that Battlefield spin-off, a multiplayer only BO3 for PS360 (in contrast to MW2 being a full game on PS4/XBO) and that was it.

baphomet

Huh? It wasn't like that last gen. In 2015 you only had MGSV, that Battlefield spin-off, a multiplayer only BO3 for PS360 (in contrast to MW2 being a full game on PS4/XBO) and that was it.

Lol, the fuck are you talking about?

Maybe actually go back and look at the 2015 PS3 and 360 games.

Lupin25

We’re getting there…

I still feel we won’t officially be underway until Take-Two/Rockstar, Sony, Activision-Blizzard & Ubisoft follow suit, but I see the light at the end of tunnel.

2024 will probably be the last of ALL cross-gen.

Last edited:

Jennings

Nobody gives a shit about 2 DLC when there's still a plethora of announces games still supporting current and next gen. Just keep it in your pants and not sound the death knell just yet.

HTK

Banned
Im okay with crossgen as long as I can still see a superior version on the next gen hardware.

SumJester

"Cross-gen" is just "Backwards Compatibility" with extra whistles on it (and easier to monetize)
It will never stick on the long run.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Makes this because of two games DLC.

Still too many games confirmed coming out that are cross-gen. Maybe spring 2023 it will finally shift.
Several of the games announced at the game awards are next gen only such as...
Death Stranding 2
Final Fantasy 16
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
Judas
Company of Heroes 3
The Lords of the Fallen
Space Marine 2
Tekken 8
Viewfinder

So it is starting to happen

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Lol, the fuck are you talking about?

Maybe actually go back and look at the 2015 PS3 and 360 games.
Tell me about them then, I remember that big games were already skipping last-gen in 2015. I mean, Bloodborne, Halo 5, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Batman Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, Rocket League, Forza Motorsport 6, Until Dawn, Star Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed, Project Cars, Assassins's Creed Syndicate, Dirt Rally, The Order 1886, Dying Light, Mad Max, heck, even smaller stuff like Tearaway Unfolded and Ori and the Blind Forest were next-gen only.

Last edited:

Griffon

Street fighter 6 is cross gen. Armored Core 6 is cross gen. I feel like this celebration is too early.

Oh shit I had no idea about AC6, this is a bummer after the beautiful cg concept we saw.

On the flipside tho, it means I'll be able to run it on the Steam Deck just fine. So, not such a loss after all...

EDMIX

Street fighter 6 is cross gen. Armored Core 6 is cross gen. I feel like this celebration is too early.

I actually disagree

With Dead Space, Wild Hearts, Star Wars Fallen Order, Dragon Age 4, on top of FFXVI, Forspoken, Death Stranding 2, Judas, Suicide Squad (R.I.P to the GOAT Conroy), Tekken 8, Crime Boss, THE lords of the fallen, Banishers and many more are next gen only.

Next year is 100% the tide turning and if a massive publisher like EA has already started doing next gen only with their big titles, its clear many are moving on. (if anything that would be the publisher many would assume would be doing cross gen to the max)

So I don't know if beyond next year, you'll see to much cross gen as a huge chunk of next year is next gen only

nial

Gold Member
I actually disagree

With Dead Space, Wild Hearts, Star Wars Fallen Order, Dragon Age 4, on top of FFXVI, Forspoken, Death Stranding 2, Judas, Suicide Squad (R.I.P to the GOAT Conroy), Tekken 8, Crime Boss, THE lords of the fallen, Banishers and many more are next gen only.

Next year is 100% the tide turning and if a massive publisher like EA has already started doing next gen only with their big titles, its clear many are moving on. (if anything that would be the publisher many would assume would be doing cross gen to the max)

So I don't know if beyond next year, you'll see to much cross gen as a huge chunk of next year is next gen only
Don't forget Stellar Blade, FFVII Rebirth, Spider Man 2, Starfield and Forza. :pie_ssmiling:

radewagon

Why are so many people loving the death of cross-gen? Bunch of gaffers always going on and on about how they want silky smooth framerates at the expense of everything. Well, guess what kiddos, games developed to still work on older platforms while being optimized for new ones is one of the best ways (outside of the PC world) to get the one-two punch of good graphics AND silky smooth framerates.

So much celebrating for your future 30fps caps. Enjoy your monkey's paw wish come true.

Several of the games announced at the game awards are next gen only such as...
Death Stranding 2
Final Fantasy 16
Star Wars: Jedi Survivor
Judas
Company of Heroes 3
The Lords of the Fallen
Space Marine 2
Tekken 8
Viewfinder

So it is starting to happen

And yet that's not what the thread was based on. It was based on two pieces of DLC.

I'm not saying there aren't any next gen only games but we are still in cross-gen for some more months yet.

It doesn't matter that they're DLC, if anything that proves the point further.

#1 They're later in the dev cycle than brand-new games. -- that tells us that games made after a certain point are going to very likely focus on current-gen.
#2 They already have built-in audience on last-gen that they're waving goodbye to on purpose to focus on creating better content. -- That's significant.

We've already had games with next gen only DLC. Also we have already had full games that are next gen only.

When you look at the upcoming games it's still majorly cross-gen. Sure there's improvement but it's not in a dying phase yet.

Last edited:
Tell me about them then, I remember that big games were already skipping last-gen in 2015. I mean, Bloodborne, Halo 5, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Batman Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, Rocket League, Forza Motorsport 6, Until Dawn, Star Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed, Project Cars, Assassins's Creed Syndicate, Dirt Rally, The Order 1886, Dying Light, Mad Max, heck, even smaller stuff like Tearaway Unfolded and Ori and the Blind Forest were next-gen only.
Indeed, and in previous generations there were even less cross-gen games. It does seem clear that most games will make the shift to current gen only next year, but saying two years of cross-gen as if that was some norm makes no sense.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Didn't change what I said... XSX and PS5 are already running freaking Fortnite at 800p-1000p natively, they're the ones holding their own games back, not XSS, if anything, the existence of XSS will benefit both console regarding further optimizations, which was already confirmed by a Coalition dev when Matrix demo released.

But whatever, I'm not here to talk about the XSS so I'll leave it at it.

we're getting there. slowly but surely. i think 2023 will be the last year for crossgen.

consoles are easy to get hold of now and this time next year we might have slim/pro consoles. i'll buy a ps5/xsx whenever the come out with the slim/pro versions.

EDMIX

we're getting there. slowly but surely. i think 2023 will be the last year for crossgen.

consoles are easy to get hold of now and this time next year we might have slim/pro consoles. i'll buy a ps5/xsx whenever the come out with the slim/pro versions.

I don't think its the last year for it, but I do believe its the last major year for it before most publishers move on.

Top Bottom